Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Religion And Relationships

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,637 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
(some dude @ Apr 13 2009, 01:33 AM) *
relationships based on religion never last
look at god and the virgin mary

also: religion is fail

uh. define a relationship 'based on religion'?

It's not like
'so.. I heard you were a Catholic, LET'S Ffff... get together and wait until marriage before consumating our deep and meaningful relationship'.

I know some religions have organised marriages and some nutjobs won't budge, but in common everyday practice, it's not a big deal.

I'd take (the fundamentals of) Christianity over (raw) Humanism any day though. I've met so many girls with such fucked up ideas of what a relationship should be, because they let so many assholes (who didn't really know what they wanted other than the fact that they 'wanted') take advantage of them - and some of them still believe that approach is somehow more empowering.

This jaded view that humans will only ever be as good as their animal instincts, stripped of everything else, is only detrimental to progress. It is in striving for divinity, believing that we can be better, and *trying* to live it that we become as close as is humanly possible to something better.
You can shred the will, heart and mind of a man; but a man with faith in something more than humanistic 'want' and 'need' is a creature that will always have the ability to rebuild and regrow..

If you dismiss religion, fine - but the evolution, the science, the theories behind what forges our social evolution are very real; and religion has been a fundamental step in this process. A gap is growing where this once fit.

We *need* something in it's place.

There are the enlightened that know better, that can exist happily, peacefully and intelligently without any need for external guidance - but these are the minority. It's important to remember just how poorly educated and frankly stupid the masses are.

It's a shame we have to rediscover the hard way, just why the things we throw away as archaic were so important.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
  • xfire:thewutangclan
QUOTE (IrishSpuds @ Apr 12 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know that? FOR A FACT??? HOLY SHIT DUDE! YOU ARE THE NEW MESSIAH!!!

On a serious note, the trinity is an approach that one God has three different forms. The Father (which is God's most known form, the creator), The Son (Jesus), and The Holy Spirit (which is pretty much the feeling that comes inside you when you accept Jesus Christ. It is what helps to guide you on your path of righteousness).

One God, three forms. Much different that One God being three gods.

Sure, that is another interpretation of the trinity. I shouldn't have used the word "know" as in "I know for sure such and such is this". But no matter how you look at it, the trinity is just some logically inconsistent bullshit (the same goes for many ideas from religions). Many christians (if not all) sees Jesus as a god. This I am sure of and you can't really argue against this. I'm pretty sure you've heard of christians say "Jesus is our lord, our saviour" and some other shit. So how is it that Jesus is a god and there is this other god that Christians always refer to as being the one true god? And just what the fuck is the holy spirit? If it's a part of god and the holy spirit is supposed to be a feeling inside us, does that mean there is a part of god in every christian (you're a christian if you accept Jesus, right?). Seriously man. There is no other way to put it. The idea of the trinity is logically inconsistent and full of shit.

Kilghas

Kilghas
  • GA Private
  • 1,361 posts
  • Interests:Mates<br />Going out<br />Computers<br />Music
  • Xbox / GFWL:Kilghas
  • Gamer Army ID:3252
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (TheBase @ Apr 13 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The idea of the trinity is logically inconsistent and full of shit.

Son, brother, student. Three things that I am but those three things are not me. Same sorta thing.
SBAG Survivor
QUOTE (Defiled @ Dec 8 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As cool as this would be, It's not going to happen. If it does, I'll post nudes.

QUOTE (Defiled @ Dec 15 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah and about those nudes I promised...

QUOTE (Defiled @ Dec 20 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOOK, when i joined the damn FB group it had like 30k members.

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
QUOTE (Kilghas @ Apr 13 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Son, brother, student. Three things that I am but those three things are not me. Same sorta thing.

I see what you did there. But this isn't a good counterargument for supporting the trinity. How is it that there is only one true god and at the same time Jesus is this divine, godlike figure who is a part of that god? The argument for the trinity is that Jesus, god, and some feeling called the holy spirit are all parts of some... entity. If that's the case, what exactly is this one true god that Christians always refer to? When a christian worships god, is he/she worshipping Jesus, god, and the holy spirit at the same time? Well that doesn't seem to make much sense. I thought there is only one true god! It just doesn't make any sense and is much more different than having three different titles (like the example you gave: son, brother student). The titles you gave are merely labels in relations to other things. I am a son of my father. I am a brother of my brother. I am a student at this university. You know what I mean? The son, brother, and student aren't three different entities that are different parts of a greater, single entity. And if you really are a son, student, and brother, then you really are a son, a student, and a brother! How are you not those things (assuming that you actually are those things)?

destroyer56

destroyer56
  • Members
  • 1,893 posts
99% of the time, 18 is too young to marry.
IPB Image

eat_the_meek

eat_the_meek
  • Members
  • 8 posts
I don't understand. This is 2009. Open your eyes.

Fuck your god.
You're wrong about virtues of christianity.

Muslims, buddhists, christians, scientologists, jews: you're all wrong.

Tell me what the fuck is so wrong with queers? Tell me what ever happened to your saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?!
Capital punishment: that is no justice, its hypocrisy.

I don't know how and why people keep supporting politicians who mix with religion. And a girls reproductive rights are her own fucking rights, you don't decide for other people.

IrishSpuds

IrishSpuds
  • GA Sergeant Major
  • 1,731 posts
  • xfire:irishspuds
  • Interests:PP, DotA2, CS:GO, Game of Thrones (books and series)
  • Steam ID:irishspuds
  • Xbox / GFWL:irishspuds1337
  • PSN:IrishSpuds
  • Rofl-Rupees:0
  • Gamer Army ID:746
  • Company:Golf
ALL HAIL LORD XENU!

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
Right, I'm Christian, and I know Budhists and stuff. I mean, I'm not a REALLY REALLY religious person. I go to Church like, once every 2 weeks I guess, and pray once a day, but that's it. I'm no Ned Flanders, just your average guy really. Anyway, moving on

I think religion can be a big obstacle in relationships depending how serious you both are on it. If she's a proper serious Christian, I can't help but say that she's probably no good for you. No offence, she's probably a really nice girl. But the one thing I can't STAND when it comes to religion is PEOPLE PRESSING THEIR RELIGION ON OTHER PEOPLE!

I think if you do that, you're a bastard/bitch. Religion is something you seek, something you find, something you believe in. It's all about you and your relationship with your God, and how that relationship can affect your life to make you a better (or in the case of some extremist religions, worse) person.

Well, that's all I've gotta say. Tell her not to press her beliefs on you, and if she's cool with that, stick w/ her man, she sounds awesome. icon_wink.gif

#1 Resident Evil Fan

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
If religion isn't a big deal to you, then why don't you just be a christian? Would it really make any difference to you?

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
QUOTE (Andrack @ Apr 13 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If religion isn't a big deal to you, then why don't you just be a christian? Would it really make any difference to you?

Shouldn't change your religion for the sake of it. If religion isn't a big deal, be agnostic/athiest. The idea of religion is that you DO give a damn.

#1 Resident Evil Fan

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (TheBase @ Apr 13 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure, that is another interpretation of the trinity. I shouldn't have used the word "know" as in "I know for sure such and such is this". But no matter how you look at it, the trinity is just some logically inconsistent bullshit (the same goes for many ideas from religions). Many christians (if not all) sees Jesus as a god. This I am sure of and you can't really argue against this. I'm pretty sure you've heard of christians say "Jesus is our lord, our saviour" and some other shit. So how is it that Jesus is a god and there is this other god that Christians always refer to as being the one true god? And just what the fuck is the holy spirit? If it's a part of god and the holy spirit is supposed to be a feeling inside us, does that mean there is a part of god in every christian (you're a christian if you accept Jesus, right?). Seriously man. There is no other way to put it. The idea of the trinity is logically inconsistent and full of shit.

I see what you did there. But this isn't a good counterargument for supporting the trinity. How is it that there is only one true god and at the same time Jesus is this divine, godlike figure who is a part of that god? The argument for the trinity is that Jesus, god, and some feeling called the holy spirit are all parts of some... entity. If that's the case, what exactly is this one true god that Christians always refer to? When a christian worships god, is he/she worshipping Jesus, god, and the holy spirit at the same time? Well that doesn't seem to make much sense. I thought there is only one true god! It just doesn't make any sense and is much more different than having three different titles (like the example you gave: son, brother student). The titles you gave are merely labels in relations to other things. I am a son of my father. I am a brother of my brother. I am a student at this university. You know what I mean? The son, brother, and student aren't three different entities that are different parts of a greater, single entity. And if you really are a son, student, and brother, then you really are a son, a student, and a brother! How are you not those things (assuming that you actually are those things)?

You have a horrible ignorance of christian beliefs. You are trying to describe an intangible thing in tangible terms, and it is why your point fails. To think that a god would have to live by the rules that govern humans is naive, because that practically defeats the purpose of godhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
The Christian doctrine of the Trinity teaches the unity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as three persons in one Godhead.[1] The doctrine states that God is the Triune God, existing as three persons, or in the Greek hypostases,[2] but one being.[3] Each of the persons is understood as having the one identical essence or nature, not merely similar natures. Since the beginning of the third century[4] the doctrine of the Trinity has been stated as "the one God exists in three Persons and one substance, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."[5]

When most christians pray to God, they are usually praying to the father, just because it is the most common. However, to pray to God as either of the other two, or as all three together is not wrong by our belief structure.

QUOTE (Tjharwin @ Apr 13 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shouldn't change your religion for the sake of it. If religion isn't a big deal, be agnostic/athiest. The idea of religion is that you DO give a damn.

sorry for DP.

If he doesn't give a damn about religion, but he does give a crap about her, and changing his religion is the only way to be with her, then it makes more sense. He can be agnostic and call him self a catholic/christian.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Why not cut off his balls and give them to her on a plate? Man doesnt need to be an owned man. What next? Will he have to abandon his friends, his hobbies all to meet some of her bullshit requirements?

Edited by Master C, 13 April 2009 - 05:16 PM.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (Master C @ Apr 13 2009, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not cut off his balls and give them to her on a plate? Man doesnt need to be an owned man. What next? Will he have to abandon his friends, his hobbies all to meet some of her bullshit requirements?

I'm not saying that's what I'd do. I was just saying, if he wants to be with her, that's probably what he'll have to do. Personally, I'd drop anyone who would only be with me if I converted.

edit: unless it was taylor swift /swoon

Edited by way2lazy2care, 13 April 2009 - 05:21 PM.

SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 13 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have a horrible ignorance of christian beliefs. You are trying to describe an intangible thing in tangible terms, and it is why your point fails. To think that a god would have to live by the rules that govern humans is naive, because that practically defeats the purpose of godhood.

Yeah pretty much what I came here to say, it's hard to make an argument against the trinity when you don't actually seem to know wtf it is in the first place.

Also, I don't understand why anyone would be mad about their significant other trying to convert them. A real Christian will accept you and love you no matter what you are but if they really love and care about you AND really do believe in God and hell and everything then not converting the person the love means that person goes to burn for eternity...how big of a bitch do you have to be to idly sit by and let that happen if you really do believe that is the case?

/Perspective

ArKonIte

ArKonIte
  • GA Corporal
  • 4,622 posts
  • xfire:arkonite
  • Interests:Guitars, Gaming, Music
  • PSN:ArKonIte167
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:167
  • Company:Alpha
QUOTE (Master C @ Apr 12 2009, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A god who gives you a free ticket to heaven just for believing in him isnt a god worth worshipping. GG to you and your fearful beliefs buddy.

Sure beats the alternative imo

TheBase

TheBase
  • Members
  • 1,342 posts
QUOTE (way2lazy2care @ Apr 13 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

When most christians pray to God, they are usually praying to the father, just because it is the most common. However, to pray to God as either of the other two, or as all three together is not wrong by our belief structure.

sorry for DP.

If he doesn't give a damn about religion, but he does give a crap about her, and changing his religion is the only way to be with her, then it makes more sense. He can be agnostic and call him self a catholic/christian.

Got several questions for you.

1. Are you a christian?

2. Do you realize just how many different fucking denominations of christianity there are and that they do differ (in some cases, drastically)?

3. How are the things that I said about the Trinity any different from what you just posted?

4. Does the trinity make sense to you?

some dude

some dude
  • Members
  • 2,265 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:kumarricon
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Apr 13 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
uh. define a relationship 'based on religion'?

It's not like
'so.. I heard you were a Catholic, LET'S Ffff... get together and wait until marriage before consumating our deep and meaningful relationship'.

I know some religions have organised marriages and some nutjobs won't budge, but in common everyday practice, it's not a big deal.

I'd take (the fundamentals of) Christianity over (raw) Humanism any day though. I've met so many girls with such fucked up ideas of what a relationship should be, because they let so many assholes (who didn't really know what they wanted other than the fact that they 'wanted') take advantage of them - and some of them still believe that approach is somehow more empowering.

This jaded view that humans will only ever be as good as their animal instincts, stripped of everything else, is only detrimental to progress. It is in striving for divinity, believing that we can be better, and *trying* to live it that we become as close as is humanly possible to something better.
You can shred the will, heart and mind of a man; but a man with faith in something more than humanistic 'want' and 'need' is a creature that will always have the ability to rebuild and regrow..

If you dismiss religion, fine - but the evolution, the science, the theories behind what forges our social evolution are very real; and religion has been a fundamental step in this process. A gap is growing where this once fit.

We *need* something in it's place.

There are the enlightened that know better, that can exist happily, peacefully and intelligently without any need for external guidance - but these are the minority. It's important to remember just how poorly educated and frankly stupid the masses are.

It's a shame we have to rediscover the hard way, just why the things we throw away as archaic were so important.

if you go out of your way to change your religion just to be with somebody, chances are there is something wrong
if you feel the need to change your beliefs, and by extension the way you act, chances are the relationship isnt going to work, no matter how many sacrifices you make
maybe saying "based on religion" is a bad choice of words, but if your girlfriend is so religious to the point that it affects how you interact, i can guarantee you will have problems in the future
my family are mostly religious, and most of them are Hindus, and i have seen first hand what religion can do to people's relationships
my uncle recently passed away from liver failure and kidney failure (he was an alcoholic). he would always go on about how god would help us through our troubles and all of that jazz, but it never did him any good
my aunt did everything the way she was supposed to, and she even tried to help him overcome his addiction, but he refused to be helped
she finally cracked and threw it all out the window. tradition says that the wife should not be able to follow the casket to the funeral home, but she did it anyway, and got a whole load of grief from his side of the family.
now they are blaming her because she "didnt act like a good wife was supposed to" and it has pretty much torn apart both sides of my family
also according to "tradition", her sons got the rights to the house, and she got NOTHING.
now she is a wreck, and both of her sons are shunned by my uncle's side of family, all for the excuse for religion

as for the part "humans are only as good as their natural instincts", it is very true
humans have always felt the need to dominate. if you look at the world now, its fairly safe to say that we ruin everything we touch
people have lost sight of what life is supposed to be, and commit themselves to living "the proper way"
and by this i mean go to school, graduate, get a degree, get a job, get married, retire, ect ect ect
if you look at it closely, you could say they are motivated by greed, which is a huge part of human nature
we are never happy with what we have, we will always want more, no matter what
i'm not saying the world is populated by greedy assholes, but just that people place far too much importance on following the rules
performance and adrenaline = no boner.
It's the equivalent of trying to get a hard on with 20 old people standing around you with notepads and watching you intently. It just doesn't happen.

Pawnator

Pawnator
  • Members
  • 5,495 posts
QUOTE (eat_the_meek @ Apr 13 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand. This is 2009. Open your eyes.

Fuck your god.
You're wrong about virtues of christianity.

Muslims, buddhists, christians, scientologists, jews: you're all wrong.

Tell me what the fuck is so wrong with queers? Tell me what ever happened to your saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"?!
Capital punishment: that is no justice, its hypocrisy.

I don't know how and why people keep supporting politicians who mix with religion. And a girls reproductive rights are her own fucking rights, you don't decide for other people.

>Christian Virtues

>All religions are wrong

>Homosexuality

>Capital Punishment

>Politics

>Abortion

While I always appreciate a My-opinion-on-broad-subject-relating-to-topic blindfolded verbal shotgunning, this is taking it a little over the top.

ArKonIte

ArKonIte
  • GA Corporal
  • 4,622 posts
  • xfire:arkonite
  • Interests:Guitars, Gaming, Music
  • PSN:ArKonIte167
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:167
  • Company:Alpha
Everyone has their own opinions of religion and that opinion is greatly fixed within that individual's mind. I highly doubt anyone will change anyone elses' point of view of this subject by simply making a tldr post.

tbh
now go pl3h vidja gaems n enjoy life while were still here n stuf

Kilghas

Kilghas
  • GA Private
  • 1,361 posts
  • Interests:Mates<br />Going out<br />Computers<br />Music
  • Xbox / GFWL:Kilghas
  • Gamer Army ID:3252
QUOTE (ArKonIte @ Apr 14 2009, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now go pl3h vidja gaems n enjoy life while were still here n stuf

Vidja gaems?!?!?!
SBAG Survivor
QUOTE (Defiled @ Dec 8 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As cool as this would be, It's not going to happen. If it does, I'll post nudes.

QUOTE (Defiled @ Dec 15 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah and about those nudes I promised...

QUOTE (Defiled @ Dec 20 2009, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOOK, when i joined the damn FB group it had like 30k members.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users