Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I Buy A New Desktop Now Or Wait Til Windows 7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 3 2009, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah.. IMO right now is the perfect time to build a PC, parts are more powerful and cheaper then ever, especially graphics cards..They cost fuckall compared to what they did tbh. $700 can get you a great gaming PC.

ya i want to put a tower together from scratch for like 1100 with specs like

3.2ghz quad procc

120gb+ SSD (wont need much just want fast load speeds use external for larger files)

motherboard that supports the following
-a later upgrade to octocore procc....technology moves so fast and i feel it will be needed in 2-3 years
-3.....preferably 4 graphics card slots for later upgrades as i add on to it with more $$$
-the new 24gb ddr3 ram support i see on mobo is nice (although i hear windows 7 will limit to 16gb)
-soooo basically something with alot of upgradeablility last thing i wanna do is drop another $350 on another mobo less 2 years down the road....

Edited by toogoodforpurepwnage, 04 April 2009 - 03:27 PM.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Yeah uh..not gonna happen at that budget.

You really seem toh ave too little knowledge on what you should buy. We can't look into a crystal ball and see what the market is like in 2 years. But you can get great price/performance stuff now.

Thinking that throwing in more graphics cards and more ram will be a good idea really attests to that...

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 4 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah uh..not gonna happen at that budget.

You really seem toh ave too little knowledge on what you should buy. We can't look into a crystal ball and see what the market is like in 2 years. But you can get great price/performance stuff now.

Thinking that throwing in more graphics cards and more ram will be a good idea really attests to that...

i just dont want a tower that will go out of date real fast....and how is that so unrealistic the way technology drops i think i could get 2x 2 ddr3 ram stick a mobo that has what i want and a 3.2ghz procc and one good graphics card (get more later) plus the case and psu and all that ......i think i could get for 1100 later this year i mean i expect to see octocore on the market end of next year beginning of 2011 i mean qudcores r already showing major price drops i suspect by like august...or sept of this year i ca build that for under 1100......prolly have to wait that logn anyway my mom owes me 800 and i have to wait til her divorce settlement or maybe she will make alot at the new job and i can buy sooner....but what it comes down to i just wanna build soemthin that will last and i do not have 2000 layin around bought a car and stuff and too many expenses i have 400 but i want the other 750-800 my mom owes me from breaking my laptop which i will get sometime this year either when she gets this job and later saves up the money or when she gets her divorce settlement..............

do u not think that 1100 sounds do able though? i mean i could see goin down on the clockspeed on the procc to say a quad 2.6 but i mainly want a mobo and procc that will last me a while atleast the mobo i will get an octocore later in prolly 2 years i mean i have seen where gamign si going and to render the kinda of 3d graphics coming out in good frames i believe a octocore will be needed as for alot of graphics memory and yes i do not know as much as i would like about pcs...i just read w/e i can find online

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Christ..are you cutting back on punctuation or something? icon_confused.gif

I understand you're scared as hell off getting a PC that'll be out of date soon.. but the truth is that future-proof ness is really just a myth, a PC is as good as the parts you spend on it, which in turn depend on how much you spend on it. Ultimately, it is YOU who decides wether or not your PC is 'outdated'. Some people upgrade parts every 2 months, others last 5 years with they're PC.. not because it's super future proof or whatever. But because they're still HAPPY with it.

As for what I was saying that you're not being realistic.. that list you summed up of 24GB RAM, 4 graphics cards and the SSD etc just isn't doable on that budget. For christsake we have a thread in the tutorial section for you to see what you can get with a certain amount of money.. and you really don't need to list what your mother owes you for me thank you -_-

i will get an octocore later in prolly 2 years i mean i have seen where gamign si going and to render the kinda of 3d graphics coming out in good frames i believe a octocore will be needed

Yeah.. uh.. sorry, but unless you really have one of those crystal balls I was talking about, you're really just trying to justify this for yourself icon_confused.gif

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
Weiman is right. The whole "My PC will be so outdated in a few months I'll have to spend more $$$ to keep it up to date!" is a myth and overdone. Even some low end PCs can handle some games that are still played today in mid to low settings. Use this as a guide to build a PC for your specific needs. It's continuously updated (by Weiman and The Colonel I believe) and I used it as a guide for my first build. I only spent around $850 (with peripherals, all parts bought online, and might have been cheaper if bought locally) and it can handle games using the Source engine at high settings very well! Don't go overboard for what's not necessary.

Edited by flamefleir, 06 April 2009 - 10:34 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/flamefleir
http://us.battle.net...oukoku/advanced
http://us.battle.net...achine/advanced
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Jun 23 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol @ these noobs who don't know who flamefleir is.

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
  • xfire:acg137
  • Interests:Pwning Philippine noobs<br />Airsoft
  • Steam ID:acg137
  • Xbox / GFWL:ACG137
  • PSN:alv_atgo
  • Gamer Army ID:2874
  • Company:Phi
QUOTE (flamefleir @ Apr 5 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weiman is right. The whole "My PC will be so outdated in a few months I'll have to spend more $$$ to keep it up to date!" is a myth and overdone. Even some low end PCs can handle some games that are still played today in mid to low settings. Use this as a guide to build a PC for your specific needs. It's continuously updated (by Weiman and The Colonel I believe) and I used it as a guide for my first build. I only spent around $800 (with peripherals, all parts bought online, and might have been cheaper if bought locally) and it can handle games using the Source engine at high settings very well! Don't go overboard for what's not necessary.

YES! Someone who actually reads the forums!!!! icon_smile.gif I like this guy icon_smile.gif

Anyways they're right.... You can try to futureproof your PC but there will be a time that it will no longer be futureproof at the rate technology is advancing. Just build a PC that works great now and most likely in 3-4 years, it will still work just fine icon_smile.gif Heck, I still have my E6600 computer for everyday computing and casual gaming.

You will never get a PC that will be "the ultimate PC" for 5 years straight.. Unless you work for the military icon_razz.gif

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
  • xfire:theblackout92
  • Steam ID:highbuzz
  • Gamer Army ID:1316
My old AMD build (socket 939 days) from about 2 years ago would still be able to run any of the games out today fairly well, just had to upgrade the graphics card at one point. 2 year life span is pretty good I think for what I spent on the computer (around 1100 USD).

Turkey Llama Confederation (WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT!)

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (TheBlackOut @ Apr 4 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My old AMD build (socket 939 days) from about 2 years ago would still be able to run any of the games out today fairly well, just had to upgrade the graphics card at one point. 2 year life span is pretty good I think for what I spent on the computer (around 1100 USD).

ya im thinkin i cna do the ultra tier build for a little bit over 1200

if i leave out

-the cd drive i have 2 setting in my room ...no cables but i believe i could order or take from older computer

-the hard drives (i have a 200gb 7200rpm sata seagate) it has ata cable i assume that will work with that mobo

-only get 1 graphics card

-and 2x2gb ddr3 ram sticks

-and i do not think i need the sound card.....does mobo have a built in sound card....or could i used one from my old compaq possibly?

- i would also try to find a cheaper case idc how it looks just want something that keeps every cool so i might get that one if i cannot find a diff one

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
QUOTE (toogoodforpurepwnage @ Apr 5 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya im thinkin i cna do the ultra tier build for a little bit over 1200

if i leave out

-the cd drive i have 2 setting in my room ...no cables but i believe i could order or take from older computer

-the hard drives (i have a 200gb 7200rpm sata seagate) it has ata cable i assume that will work with that mobo

-only get 1 graphics card

-and 2x2gb ddr3 ram sticks

-and i do not think i need the sound card.....does mobo have a built in sound card....or could i used one from my old compaq possibly?

- i would also try to find a cheaper case idc how it looks just want something that keeps every cool so i might get that one if i cannot find a diff one

Lol you really have no idea what you're doing huh... Please do your research before you try to tweak the setup :|

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
QUOTE (toogoodforpurepwnage @ Apr 4 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't need to buy a soundcard (built-in) unless you want to add one for some high-end sound.
QUOTE (toogoodforpurepwnage @ Apr 4 2009, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use the COOLER MASTER Centurion 590. It's $70 on Newegg (there's a discount on Newegg atm for $65). It's cheap and big! Plenty of room to add stuff. You can install four additional 80mm/120mm/140mm fans (two on top and two on the left side panel). There's also a small vent on the right side panel. The PSU is mounted on the bottom which ain't a bad idea because heat rises upwards of course, so overall this case and especially the additional fans will keep your system cool and it's cheaper than many of the others out there.

Edited by flamefleir, 04 April 2009 - 10:08 PM.

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (flamefleir @ Apr 4 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't need to buy a soundcard (built-in) unless you want to add one for some high-end sound.I use the COOLER MASTER Centurion 590. It's $70 on Newegg (there's a discount on Newegg atm for $65). It's cheap and big! Plenty of room to add stuff. You can install four additional 80mm/120mm/140mm fans (two on top and two on the left side panel). There's also a small vent on the right side panel. The PSU is mounted on the bottom which ain't a bad idea because heat rises upwards of course, so overall this case and especially the additional fans will keep your system cool and it's cheaper than many of the others out there.

ty for actually adding a helpful comment and not spam......and to the other guy yes there is alot i do not know i am not a nerd so stfu dumb shit....if u don't have something helpful to say dont spam my thread tired of stupid comments so i do not know as much as you about pc's idc im learning bitch...

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
QUOTE (toogoodforpurepwnage @ Apr 4 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ty for actually adding a helpful comment and not spam......and to the other guy yes there is alot i do not know i am not a nerd so stfu dumb shit....if u don't have something helpful to say dont spam my thread tired of stupid comments so i do not know as much as you about pc's idc im learning bitch...
np rofl lmao. He's right though y'all stop flaming and help this guy out lol. I bought a How To Build A PC for Dummies book at a local Barnes & Nobles bookstore to help me out lol. But the parts' manuals will provide installation guidelines (even if it's basic/simplified) so that may be enough just to finish building your PC. If you need help don't be afraid to ask someone. I myself had a problem (a small one that I don't know why I didn't figure out myself rofl I'm stupid sometimes). Remember to read the manuals too if you're stuck because I could've fixed it myself if I read the manual a little more thoroughly lol.

Edited by flamefleir, 04 April 2009 - 11:08 PM.

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
lol sorry bout that... Just got used to it here. Over here, its flame before actual learning.... Anyways, You need the 6gb ram if you want the i7 setup. It doesn't work the same as the Core 2s. The sound card won't look useful for now but if you want clear sound that goes well in gaming and multimedia, keep it. If you want one videocard, go get the GTX275. I'm not so sure about the centurion if you're installing a GTX card though... If you're sure about the centurion you might have to go get the ATI card. Heck i don't know if the ATI's bigger or not...

Also do really get a bigger hard drive... 200gb won't cut it these days.

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
I'm using the Centurion 590 and my HD 4830 fit perfectly fine, and I'm pretty sure the GTX275 wouldn't have any problems fitting in either (although I've read a review that someone had some difficulty installing it into their mid tower case but it was able to be placed). Also ACG137 is right, you'll want a bigger hard drive. 640GB does me good but I guess if you're gonna install a whole lotta shit get more than that.

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
ya i do know i will want a bigger HD but that will come later when i get $ 200gb is fine for now since i have an external and other meens of storage also

i do like the price of that case man but do u think i should get a case+psu combo?

i was looking at these 2 cases but i like the one with temp display alot even though the other looks more badass imo what do u think is best combo? i would say one of the 750 watt psu but i dunno if i will need more or not as i will later upgrade graphics cards......jw...are there any mobos that support 3 or 4 highend like 2gb cards i only find 2 cards supported and i wanna squeeze as much power as i can before i buy another mobo i jsut heard that some mobos now support 4 cards jsut curious

so which do you think i should get

- http://www.newegg.co...o...e=10&page=1

- http://www.newegg.co...o...e=10&page=1

or if you do not like these brands/think they are bad quality tell me

Edited by toogoodforpurepwnage, 05 April 2009 - 12:23 AM.

flamefleir

flamefleir
  • Members
  • 197 posts
Get whatever case you want if you can spend the money on it but the one I suggested will do just fine at a good price (will keep your system cool if you add some more fans and also has a blue LED front intake fan if you like the lights lol). Although I don't know a good recommendation on how many watts you'll need to power your system though.

Edited by flamefleir, 05 April 2009 - 01:07 AM.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
QUOTE (toogoodforpurepwnage @ Apr 5 2009, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so which do you think i should get

or if you do not like these brands/think they are bad quality tell me

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
  • xfire:theblackout92
  • Steam ID:highbuzz
  • Gamer Army ID:1316
QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. Oh my God this.

Turkey Llama Confederation (WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT!)

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
YEah.. sigged it.

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we all overdid the april 1 thing huh....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users