Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Should I Buy A New Desktop Now Or Wait Til Windows 7

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
i do need a new pc but i am on a budget and just need a tower dont know if i should buy this or wait til widows 7 since i heard it comes out beggining of 09 and i would hate for my pc to go out of date and not to mention have to buy new OS

pre built i thought about since specs all look amazing although i would have liked a little better quad clockspeed but that can be upgraded if the need comes in the future for gaming

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883227145

im kinda usein a POS IBM that decides if it wants to boot or not since my mom broke my laptops screen and buying it from bestbuy they want like 700 for a new screen so i am just going to buy a new pc for that much which she is paying for but not sure if i should maybe wait since windows 7 will be out soon and i would love to buy a pc pre loaded with it and not to mention im sure the quad procc i could get would be alot better more aorund the 2.8-3.2ghz range

also what could i safely overclock this intel q8300 too without causing serious overheating and damage to it

ty for ur help......ps i do not build pcs im not quite that good and really i just dont want to and cant, i think this pre built is way better in specs than any hp/sony/compaq/ any major retail brand

i also know some people have a hard time with ibuypower im just thinking it is best performance i cna get and i would like this rig to last atleast 2-3 years of graphically challenging games with minor upgrades/replacements of course

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
  • xfire:acg137
  • Interests:Pwning Philippine noobs<br />Airsoft
  • Steam ID:acg137
  • Xbox / GFWL:ACG137
  • PSN:alv_atgo
  • Gamer Army ID:2874
  • Company:Phi
Would be better if you'd built it yourself or ask someone you know to build it rather than have it pre-built. Windows 7 won't be as demanding as vista so don't worry icon_smile.gif Well i think it won't be icon_razz.gif

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
You're waiting to buy hardware until a piece of unrelated software is released?

Riiiight. Do you even know how W7 differs from Vista and what it means instead of automatically assuming not having it makes your PC 'outdated'?

As said before. Build it yourself. That way you can do with it what you want and install whatever you want..

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

ReggeX

ReggeX
  • GA Private
  • 1,002 posts
  • xfire:ReggeX
  • Interests:Playing TF2, CS, CSS and being good at FPS games pretty much.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Hello new MS
  • PSN:GTFO new Sony
  • Wii:WB old Nintendo
  • Gamer Army ID:3112
kgo
CS:Source - CS:1.6 - Warcraft 3 TFT DotA - TF2

QUOTE (7h3 n00b m4573r @ Jan 18 2008, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres no point arguing with an idiot, they just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience :P

7h3 n00b m4573r

7h3 n00b m4573r

Best HW & SW Contributor 08 & 09

• CCA
  • 9,600 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dont like
  • PSN:Completely detest
  • Wii:Cant afford
i think the concern is more about buying a PC with vista then having an OS that's out of date which makes some sort of sense when you buy a packaged box.
upgrade packs are usually available quite cheaply though so win7 upgrade, if wanted, shouldn't pose any troubles.

Have you considered hooking the laptop up to an external monitor and using it like a desktop at all?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Metabox P170 laptop
i7 3610QM 2.3GHz
4x4GB RAM
256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
nVidia GTX675M

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
yeah i did try that and the laptop just says some kina error and shuts down she closed a extended cab truck seat on top of it quite possible she might have done more than cracked the screen im not sure

also should i be getting a computer with a motherboard that is ddr3 compatible? since that will be the new ram stick standard

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Well not get, build it yourself.

Post a budget and have a look in the thread in the tutorial section...you only need DDR3 is you go Core i7..which seems like a bad idea on your budget.

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

RichChap

RichChap
  • GA Private
  • 384 posts
  • xfire:richchap
  • Interests:Videogames, Animation (I animate in flash), Art, Internet, Computers/Technology, Graphic Design, Film, etc
  • Steam ID:RichChap
  • Xbox / GFWL:RichChap
  • PSN:RichChap
  • Gamer Army ID:4576
  • Company:Juliet
Yeah, buy it yourself. Unless you're desperate for a PC, you might want to wait until Windows 7 releases, simply because by all the hardware prices will have dropped a bit, and you will only have to buy one operating system, unless you plan TO RENT Vista or something...

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Yeah..but saying the prices drop over time is not a really valid argument, they always drop over time, and at one point you just have to decide "I WANT A PC NOW".

Must like how I decided I wanted these forums to be mine!

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 1 2009, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah..but saying the prices drop over time is not a really valid argument, they always drop over time, and at one point you just have to decide "I WANT A PC NOW".

Must like how I decided I wanted these forums to be mine!

o and i am willing to go as much as 1000 tops so core i7 is a maybe depending on build

yes that is very true and exactly y i am having a hard time to decide i want a desktop now but i want one that will last a while with minimum upgrades and btw i am going with core i7 unless i can find better and i really just want a good motherboard as well

my new find (i know this computer needs a new power supply and more ram, but that will be takein care of when i upgrade to duo graphics cards, i really like this because the motherboard supports so many possible upgrades even an octocore procc. later - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883229072

also i want this pc to last atleast 3 years as i will be buying a laptop end of next year or so when a gaming quadcore laptop becomes affordable, because simply there r times when u just need a laptop

i may have to wait til august of this year anyhow depending on how fast my moms divorce gets settled since she is paying for it i am 17 and have a job i get almost no hours at so i have some change here and there for games no big money really

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
here are the desktops under around 1000 i am looking at

1. i think this is best for upgradability(from research i have done about this mobo), and some insane 24gbs of supported ram(although idk is windows 7 is going to recognize the suggested 16gbs max) - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883229072

other 3 i am not sure about

2. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883229083

3. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883227123

4. http://www.newegg.co...82E16883227123R (really like this one because it is cheap)

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
You're not listening to us.... In desktops: Building > Buying pre-built... Also one's open box a.k.a. refurbished. In other words it could have been returned for a reason like a flaw in the system.

If I really have to choose, get the one with the 9800GTX.

But still... Build over buy. I bet there's someone in your neighborhood that knows how to build one :\ or at least knows someone.

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (ACG137 @ Apr 2 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're not listening to us.... In desktops: Building > Buying pre-built... Also one's open box a.k.a. refurbished. In other words it could have been returned for a reason like a flaw in the system.

If I really have to choose, get the one with the 9800GTX.

But still... Build over buy. I bet there's someone in your neighborhood that knows how to build one :\ or at least knows someone.

i guess i will build i suppose i mean i know i can just it is so much easier to just buy a pre built...i will try and get 1000 together before i build a tower though...prolly be postin about this again around august maybe sooner depending on when my mom gets ehr divorce settlement and pays me the $ she owes me.

are there certain times i should look to build for good sales?

Love Duckie

Love Duckie
  • GA Private
  • 2,448 posts
  • xfire:1337lucz0r
  • Gamer Army ID:2256
I'm just going to state now that your originally posted machine is completely imbalanced.

8GB DDR3 RAM with a 9600GT/Q8300? icon_confused.gif

If you lost atleast 4GB of that ram I bet you could bump it to a 9800GT.

And yes, build it yourself. Your penis grows bigger when you do.*

PS: There's really not alot to learn when building your machine, it's simply a matter of following basic guidelines with what and what not to do.

I.e. don't put stupid amounts of thermal paste on the CPU or cross-thread a hole.

* = Complete lie.

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (Love Duckie @ Apr 2 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just going to state now that your originally posted machine is completely imbalanced.

8GB DDR3 RAM with a 9600GT/Q8300? icon_confused.gif

If you lost atleast 4GB of that ram I bet you could bump it to a 9800GT.

And yes, build it yourself. Your penis grows bigger when you do.*

PS: There's really not alot to learn when building your machine, it's simply a matter of following basic guidelines with what and what not to do.

I.e. don't put stupid amounts of thermal paste on the CPU or cross-thread a hole.

* = Complete lie.

haha aight man i will and look up guides, now i just need to find when would be the best time to build, i used to play w0w alot but that is getting old and i want a computer that will last a long time one with a mobo that supports say octocore, maybe 3 or even 4 graphics cards, and so on......not that i will be buying all these graphics cards at one time will only be buying one or 2 as well as getting a good quadcore then later upgrading to octocore in prolly 2 years since quadcore is jsut now getting some software that will utilize it's full potential......

i just want a rig i can get maybe 4 or 5 years out of with minor upgrades here and there....

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
QUOTE (toogoodforpurepwnage @ Apr 3 2009, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i guess i will build i suppose i mean i know i can just it is so much easier to just buy a pre built...i will try and get 1000 together before i build a tower though...prolly be postin about this again around august maybe sooner depending on when my mom gets ehr divorce settlement and pays me the $ she owes me.

are there certain times i should look to build for good sales?

Prices drop over time when new technology/parts are released. Usually give it 3 months before a drop due to changes. Also, usually there are sales when there are holidays.

toogoodforpurepwnage

toogoodforpurepwnage
  • Members
  • 131 posts
QUOTE (ACG137 @ Apr 2 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prices drop over time when new technology/parts are released. Usually give it 3 months before a drop due to changes. Also, usually there are sales when there are holidays.

i am thinking about waiting til black friday

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Wtf, thats October right? WHY?

ACG137

ACG137
  • GA Private
  • 1,402 posts
Lol i think he mixed up holy week and the day after thanksgiving :|

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
yeah.. IMO right now is the perfect time to build a PC, parts are more powerful and cheaper then ever, especially graphics cards..They cost fuckall compared to what they did tbh. $700 can get you a great gaming PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users