Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[pc/ps3/360] Far Cry 2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Lewdis

Lewdis
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts
  • xfire:lewdis65
  • Interests:Video games and soccer
  • Steam ID:lewdis65
  • PSN:Lewdis
When you first take the ride through the African environment you will be astonished by the amount of detail that is produced. Could this open-world ride be one of the best sandbox shooters of all time? Read on to find out.

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Genre: First Person Shooter (FPS)
Release Date: October 6, 2008
Platforms: PC, XBOX 360, PS3

Story

The story mode takes place in a modern day East African Nation. The nation is in a state of anarchy and civil war. The government had collapsed; as a result, two fractions in desperate desire of control are formed. The United Front for Liberation and Labour (UFFL) run by Addi Mbantuwe and the Alliance for Popular Resistance (APR) run by Oliver Tambossa. Your mission is simple, to kill "The Jackal", the man who armed both sides. You would think a man that armed both sides in a civil war would keep himself unknown but not in this case. Throughout the story you will come across tapes that "The Jackal" create. Each tape leads to information or secrets about this man.

To survive in battle you will find yourself getting rescued by your buddies. You make buddies by completing missions or rescuing them from hostage situations. You will find yourself getting saved by your buddies by playing on the higher difficulty settings, but remember, once your buddy gets killed, they are gone forever. Weapons are a huge role in Far Cry 2. You need to decide which weapons are best suited for the mission. For example: If you are assigned to intercept a convoy of weapons for a weapon dealer, a RPG would be sufficient. The weapon system works like this:

Primary - Two handed guns (Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles and Shotguns)
Secondary - One handed guns (Automatic or Semi-Automatic pistols, Small Grenade Launchers and Improvised Explosive Devices)
Special - Heavy weaponry (Light machine guns and RPGs)

On top of having three weapons you always carry some type of Machete at all times.

Their are three types of missions. Primary, Secondary and Side/Buddy missions. Primary missions will get you closer to your main objective, The Jackal. Secondary missions will get you diamonds to buy weapons, and Buddy/Side missions will gain you reputation and unlock new weapons.

Realism is one of the best aspects of Far Cry 2. You will notice it everywhere on the map. Weapons will constantly jam with the amount of use of it and after a long enough time it will just blow it in your hand. A dynamic weather system also takes affect in FC2. As you play you will notice the sun come up and down, which results in night and day sequences. This is very key because it takes a tole on what type of player you will be. If you choose to be a run and gun type of player and just kill and blow up everything in sight, day-time would be sufficient for you, but if you are a stealthy player and want to eliminate your enemies with style and precision, night-time would be for you. When nearing death, you must perform a brief first aid on; for example, the player must dig bullets out of the body when shot and pat himself down when on fire. The same goes with vehicle damage. If your vehicle takes damage you will need to open up the hood and you will see a repair animation. Far Cry 2 is one of the only games to deal with Malaria. Every so often you will have to take Malaria pills to ease the effects, but if you run out of pills you need to do a side mission in order to get more pills. Reputation comes into play as the more and more notorious you become, the harder it will be to obtain the medication. If you remain vigilant about taking your medication, you will receive more health, faster health regeneration, and greater stamina; allowing you to sprint and hold their breath underwater for greater periods of time. In order to buy merchandise, such as weapons at weapon shops you will not need paper money but diamonds. Their are over 200 diamond briefcases scattered all over the map and its your job to find them all. Without diamonds you will not have the best weapons you need to survive.

Sound is also very realistic in Far Cry 2. Everything sounds very real, from the cackling of the fire to the weapons. Every explosion sounds and looks great. Their is also music that you have the availability to turn off and on. When it is enabled the music will change beat depending on what situation you are encountering which is a great feature.

One of my favorite aspects of the realism in the game is the way fire is handled. If you start a fire by a flamethrower or an exploding car/barrel the fire will spread throughout the grass and trees. When the fire is eliminated you will see the branches of trees burnt or the grass is black.

A dislocated hand needs fixin'

One of the most known aspects of Far Cry 2 is that it can get very repetitive. Their is a lot of driving in the game to get to your missions and a lot of the missions deal are the same. Far Cry 2 is also said to be a sequel to Far Cry but the story lines DO NOT connect to each others what so ever.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer in Far Cry 2 attempts to include the dynamic elements of the singleplayer game and to provide as accessible gameplay as possible. Their are a vast variety of vehicles in the online mode. Online matches can be held for a maximum of 16 players, but there is no split-screen multiplayer available for the consoles. Their are four modes consisting of Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag (instead of flags their are diamonds), and Uprising.

Multiplayer gameplay is class based, with six classes available. The Commando is the standard class, with an assault rifle. The Sharpshooter specializes in long range with sniper rifles. The Guerrilla is mainly for close combat and ambush with shotguns. The Rebel uses explosives and fire with flamethrowers and rocket launchers. The Gunner provides heavy firepower with light machine guns and rocket launchers. The Saboteur uses stealth and silenced weapons . Each class can choose an appropriate primary weapon and a side arm, as well as explosives such as frag grenades or Molotov cocktails. Players are able to unlock more powerful weapons within each class by spending up to three "blood diamonds" on a class; the diamonds are earned through the experience points from killing other players and completing objectives.

Not only is their an in-depth multiplayer but when you purchase Far Cry 2 a free map-editor is available. This is a very fun and addictive tool because it allows easy use to create maps. Not only can you create your own maps but you are able to share your custom made maps with other online-users. The map editor features thousands of objects found in the single player game including vehicles, buildings, bridges and more. However, weapons cannot be placed on maps to support the game's class-based gameplay.

Unfortunately the online portion of Far Cry 2 is very dead, so most of your hours spent playing will be in the story-mode.

Far Cry 2: Downloadable Content

For a cheap price of $4.99 you will get access to the following:

Three New Weapons:

Silenced Shotgun
Sawed-off shotgun
Crossbow

Two New Vehicles

Unimog (large truck)
Quad

Five New Multiplayer Maps

Cheap Labor
Last Resort
Lake Smear
Fort Fury
Jungle Seizure

All the new features are available in single player and multiplayer.

The new crossbow in good hands

Overall Thoughts

This is a great a single player game, but it can get repetitive. If you are not a fan of driving to Point A and getting a mission and then driving to Point B to complete the mission then this is not the game for you. Even with the DLC the multiplayer is dead, so the main hours spent on Far Cry 2 will be on the story mode. This game thrives on realism and is one of the main reasons why I bought it. If you want to make the most out of your computer hardware then this is a great game for you. You also get the features of an extensive map editor and a benchmark tool.

It is by far not the best sandbox shooter of all time, but it is a great game for those rainy days when your internet connection is out! icon_razz.gif

Story-mode/Single player - Main mode in FC2, but can get repetitive. 8/10

Sound - The game sounds great from the weapons to the explosions. It makes you feel like you are actually in Africa. 10/10

Graphics - The graphics look amazing. The jungles and terrain look amazing. 9/10

Multiplayer - Even though their are unique game modes the online play is very dead, and their is no split-screen for consoles. 5/10

Overall - 8.5/10 - Great Game

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 09:46 PM.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
Excellent review. I liked how you added the DLC in the review .

I might suggest some better formatting of your scores at the bottom though icon_razz.gif

Utttand4

Utttand4
  • Members
  • 2,859 posts
Far Cry 2 was so underwhelming. You spend practically 90% of game time driving from point A to point B to point C.

The weapons have no variation:
There's no distinction between different types of rounds (you can snipe someone with a pistol from miles away since its all hitscan)
The game makes you choose based on which gun has the least annoying ironsight
QUOTE (Jarett @ Feb 17 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think console shooters suck balls.

Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth
  • GA Captain
  • 1,206 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3638
  • Company:Nu
Good review. I thought Far Cry 2 was decent, it did get repetitive, but I enjoyed trying to collect all the weapons. The story wasn't all that interesting.

kadajiroth_gasig15.png

inst1nct

inst1nct
  • Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Andrew Rosati
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 30 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked how you added the DLC in the review .

this.
Good job Lewdis.

Lewdis

Lewdis
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts
Thanks.

The game may be repetitive with all the driving around, but it definitely does have a lot of replay value. Their are all the weapons to unlock, all the diamonds to find, and all of The Jackal's tapes to find.

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
QUOTE (Lewdis @ Apr 11 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The game may be repetitive with all the driving around, but it definitely does have a lot of replay value

What? You just do the same boring repetitive things over and over again why would you want to play it again.

Lewdis

Lewdis
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts
QUOTE (DarkKitchen @ Apr 13 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What? You just do the same boring repetitive things over and over again why would you want to play it again.

The only thing that is repetitive is the driving. I love the game and I actually like the driving cause the game looks so nice that when I am driving I just look at the graphics.

Kanashe

Kanashe
  • Members
  • 306 posts
  • xfire:hamio
QUOTE (Lewdis @ Apr 13 2009, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing that is repetitive is the driving. I love the game and I actually like the driving cause the game looks so nice that when I am driving I just look at the graphics.

I think your forgetting that the missions are repetitive as well. All ya is kill people or blow shit up, they could have added more variety on that. Like scouting missions, protecting a convoy, saving someones ass etc. But there's only two types of missions trough the entire game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users