Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[other] Need For Speed - What Did Ea Do Wrong?

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Thermington

Thermington
  • GA Private
  • 345 posts
  • xfire:Thermington
  • Steam ID:Thermington
  • Wii:803585849083485
  • Gamer Army ID:2081
  • Company:Juliet
NFS:U was my favorite because easy menus, good racing engine, and just over-all funness. NFS:U2 was good, except the menus suck and having to drive to every damn event got old fast, and I didn't like the fact that you had to drive around to find any new things and not just unlock them like you did in the first one. I played NFS:U Most Wanted (at a friends house), it was o.k.

76561197980951507.png

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,407 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
QUOTE (real @ Jul 14 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 was the shit, man. I loved that game.

Indeed, I'd rather play that game over again then play one of the newer NFSs.
That game was crazy, some great cars and some crazy helicopter dropping bombs moments. Alot of fun.
Though when I showed it to a friend of mine who LOVED the NFS games but never played any of the older ones he was like meh.
"It's good but sucks cause theres no customization". I was like "ARGGGHHH"

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
  • xfire:Alexc26
  • Steam ID:Alexc26
  • Xbox / GFWL:Alexc26
  • PSN:Alexc26
  • Rofl-Rupees:13
  • Gamer Army ID:4614
  • Company:Gamma
I recently got Need For Speed: Undercover and i really like it, i think its better than the others, it is a bit too easy, but its fun.

snow

snow
  • GA Private
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:cars games and well pp
  • PSN:snow306
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:4665
  • Company:Alpha
personaly i like the newer ones cause you dont need a super car to beat the game you can use the gtr 34 personally my fav. i think they need a more involved customization like you choose if you get a k&n intake what type of engine not just a teir 3 but you choose to drop in a 440 hemi mag insted of the stock or a modded ecu. but then again im a gear head and would enjoy building a car that i would love to have in real life but dont have the money to do so.

Edited by snow, 22 July 2009 - 08:37 AM.

this needs to be on the forum rules page

QUOTE (Extracheez @ Sep 10 2009, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This again, is where you are taking my argument and calling it false, yet you have completely missed what I'm saying, so much so that I have said "1+1=2" and your reply is "no, because I'm an owl".

StrykerGamer

StrykerGamer
  • GA Sergeant
  • 3,206 posts
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Gamer Army ID:163
HEY GUYS WHAT ABOUT NEED FOR SPEED CARBON????

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (StrykerGamer @ Jul 24 2009, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HEY GUYS WHAT ABOUT NEED FOR SPEED CARBON????

Yea NFS: Carbon was good, i really liked that one, i liked the mountain races, they were fun, i didnt like the fact though you had to find the places to do things to your car like change the body kit etc.

StrykerGamer

StrykerGamer
  • GA Sergeant
  • 3,206 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:163
Yeah, the mountain races were really fun in Carbon. But tbh, that's it's only redeeming quality in my opinion. Everything else is just like every other game as far as I could tell.

Coop Solo

Coop Solo
  • GA Private
  • 242 posts
  • xfire:madkatkilla
  • Xbox / GFWL:I Csolo I
  • PSN:Csolo
  • Gamer Army ID:4616
I think Jeremy said it the best

"I guess what i'm trying to say is that EA sucks my balls".

Alexc26

Alexc26
  • GA Private
  • 2,082 posts
QUOTE (Coop Solo @ Jul 31 2009, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Jeremy said it the best

"I guess what i'm trying to say is that EA sucks my balls".

Another quote from jeremy

"Yanno like, the E can suck my left ball, and the A can suck my right ball"

Edited by Alexc26, 31 July 2009 - 06:40 AM.

some dude

some dude
  • Members
  • 2,265 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:kumarricon
imo underground 2 was the best in the series, the new ones are just a fucking embarrassment to the series.
most wanted got boring fast, carbon flat out sucked and undercover looks like an even shittier ripoff of the fast and furious movies.
performance and adrenaline = no boner.
It's the equivalent of trying to get a hard on with 20 old people standing around you with notepads and watching you intently. It just doesn't happen.

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
  • xfire:mikemayhem1234
I agree with what you're saying, but also have some things i disagree with,

AGREE: Ea has been just throwing games out the door at the public without thinking about the actual quality of the game, they just think about the possibilities of money.

DISAGREE: Customizations did not ruin it. I think they just added another aspect of the game to make your cars more personal. And i disagree, Most Wanted was sweet. lol
RX-7's fo' life yo.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
They made it right with NFS: Shift.
And like that, he was gone.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
imo the only time they ever got it right was with Underground 1 and 2

QUOTE (The Colonel @ Oct 11 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They made it right with NFS: Shift.

by trying to make a realistic driving sim and then rewarding the player for blatantly taking out other cars/other stuff that would get you banned from racing very quickly. and not to mention the incredibly stupid AI which acts like your not even there.

srs they should of stuck to the arcadey stuff

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

The Flaming Homo of the year '09

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
  • xfire:rawgenesis
  • Interests:the ladies ;D
  • Steam ID:raw_genesis
  • Xbox / GFWL:ex bawks
  • PSN:pee ess tripple
  • Wii:Weeeeeeee!!!
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (j-tak @ Oct 13 2009, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
srs they should of stuck to the arcadey stuff

They are sticking to arcadey stuff... thats what NFS Nitro and NFS World Online will be.

Also Blur looks like it might be a good arcade racing game next year.

Edited by raw_genesis, 12 October 2009 - 05:27 PM.

QUOTE (Shaun. @ Apr 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAA+++++++++++++++ GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD PACKAGE. WOULD BANG AGAIN

Barlowe

Barlowe
  • GA Private
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, reading, writing.
  • Steam ID:Barlowe
  • Xbox / GFWL:Barl0we
  • Gamer Army ID:3073
  • Company:Eta
The latest NFS game I owned was NFS: Carbon (It came bundled with a computer I was given icon_razz.gif).

I think I played it like halfway through...I freakin love customisation in NFS games, from making cars I think would fit on Pimp Mah Ride to making a hotrod in a glaring pink with a glaring neon light underneath it, it gives me some sort of primal satisfaction to customise my ride in NFS icon_razz.gif

...Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to keep me playing icon_razz.gif I don't think I'm the right target audience for racing games icon_biggrin.gif

Chatting is a skill?!? <-- I talk randomly un an uneven schedule about games.

Goat Man

Goat Man
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Well, let's take Call of Duty vs. Battlefield for example:

Where Call of Duty is more of an arcade game (focusing less on true realism)
Battlefield focuses on (as best it can) being fairly realistic

Need For Speed has always tried to be the "arcade" racing genre (much like Call of Duty has been the "arcade" focal point for shooters).
What they're attempting now is, in my opinion, ruining the games (and has been for years).

We all remember Hot Pursuit 3 right? The AI was so cool back then - the cops would rush ahead of you and place that pixelated spike strip (dropped remotely from their trunk), cut you off, knock you into a ditch, and just be overall aggressive. NFS has taken a bit from that, but have seemingly dumbed down their AI considerably (along with the other racers) - that point has been covered.

Where NFS started to decline was (again, already covered) after the Undergrounds - the customization was amazing, and they had quite a few cars (at least in NFS:UG2), even if the story line didn't matter. Where they've gone wrong since then is this:
Need For Speed thinks they can simply take their last game, change a bit of the coding, maybe put in a new car or two, and sell it in a different box. I haven't bought an NFS game in 5 years because I've been burned like this before. icon_sad.gif

Hopefully, they'll get their asses in gear and actually start making a proper game again - one where racing their AI is actually hard to beat with one hand. But as for now, they've lost a large portion of their consumer base because of sucktastic games that are the same one over and over.

TL;DR - NFS needs to stop re-boxing the same game, focus on being a bit more of an arcade racer (but not so much with the UBER DRIFFFT PHYZIX LOOK AT ME I CAN TAKE A CORNER AT 985MPH), cut the crappy half-assed story lines, and knock some sense into their AI.
(And hey - while your at it - maybe put some real techno tracks back in there that you prided yourself on back in the 90's ;P)

***Apologies for beating the dead horse*** - nerdrage venting

QUOTE (snow @ Jul 22 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
personaly i like the newer ones cause you dont need a super car to beat the game you can use the gtr 34 personally my fav. i think they need a more involved customization like you choose if you get a k&n intake what type of engine not just a teir 3 but you choose to drop in a 440 hemi mag insted of the stock or a modded ecu. but then again im a gear head and would enjoy building a car that i would love to have in real life but dont have the money to do so.

I think that would be a step in a much cooler direction - go to the local dealer and buy yourself an LS9 and shoehorn it into your brand new Aveo. (JK ;P)

But seriously, that would be a nice addition to the people who like the customization aspect of the game.

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
QUOTE (Goat Man @ Dec 22 2011, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, let's take Call of Duty vs. Battlefield for example:

Where Call of Duty is more of an arcade game (focusing less on true realism)
Battlefield focuses on (as best it can) being fairly realistic

Need For Speed has always tried to be the "arcade" racing genre (much like Call of Duty has been the "arcade" focal point for shooters).
What they're attempting now is, in my opinion, ruining the games (and has been for years).

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what EA is trying to do with the NFS franchise. They are making NFS the overarching brand for racing with sub-brands that fall in different places along the arcadey-realistic spectrum. NFS:Shift is their new realistic racing franchise. NFS: Hot Pursuit/Underground is their quazi realistic but still arcady franchise. NFS: Nitro is their pure arcade racer. NFS: The Run is their story driven action racer.

NFS no longer refers to a franchise, but a brand with many franchises below it.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
For someone way2lazy2care you sure know a lot of shit (it's pretty much what I was going to post.

LOVE IT

Xaj

Xaj
  • Members
  • 125 posts
  • Steam ID:http://steamcommunity.com/id/xaj
  • Xbox / GFWL:drew913
QUOTE (Thermington @ Jul 16 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NFS:U was my favorite because easy menus, good racing engine, and just over-all funness. NFS:U2 was good, except the menus suck and having to drive to every damn event got old fast, and I didn't like the fact that you had to drive around to find any new things and not just unlock them like you did in the first one. I played NFS:U Most Wanted (at a friends house), it was o.k.

Underground was my favorite series, as well. However, it can't compete to the nostalgia of playing Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit on my dad's brand new $4000 PC with a sidewinder force feedback steering wheel and huge ass 2048x1536 monitor with surround sound and a real subwoofer. That was probably a pivotal moment in my childhood, that got me hooked on playing PC games.

Edited by Xaj, 23 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

"You have huge balls [literally]"

Hey Jarett, Joel, Geoff, Davin, Dawei, Miranda... we're never gonna give you up, but you already know that.

Nevermore

Nevermore
  • GA Private
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Internets! Games! Music! Photography!
  • Gamer Army ID:1083
QUOTE (Xaj @ Mar 24 2012, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Underground was my favorite series, as well. However, it can't compete to the nostalgia of playing Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit on my dad's brand new $4000 PC with a sidewinder force feedback steering wheel and huge ass 2048x1536 monitor with surround sound and a real subwoofer. That was probably a pivotal moment in my childhood, that got me hooked on playing PC games.

Same story but on my dads barebone PC that barely ran the game on lowest settings.

I still enjoyed the hell out of that game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users