Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Official Rock Climbing Thread!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

lawlerer

lawlerer
  • Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • xfire:eelektrix
  • Interests:rock climbing, hacky sack, fishing, computers, video games, marijuana, spirituality, environment, etc
Hey all, I used to be very active on these forums back in my WoW days when I played a lot of games. Last May though, something big changed for me. I started rock climbing weekly. It all started with a few outdoor "bouldering" trips, and turned into 2-4 days a week outdoors or indoors climbing until winter. Needless to say, it changed me. I am now not a short, skinny, does-nothing, pot-smoking, video-gaming, semi-nerd, but a short, very fit, some muscles developed, pot-smoking, rock climber. I would HIGHLY recommend this sport to any one on here looking to get out and do something FUN, ATHLETIC, and INTELLECTUALLY CHALLENGING, that will help get you up, outside, and off the computer.

Alright so now I would like just to explain some things about rock climbing to you guys, the ways you can do it, etc.

**This sport is not just for fit people, hard rock climbing is one of the best full body work outs around, and is a GREAT way to get yourself into shape no matter what your body type, just expect to have to put in a lot of time and effort to get your strength to weight ratio where it needs to be**

Okay lets start off with a great introductory video. This is a trailer to a film starring the worlds best climber - Chris Sharma, it just really sums up the mindset behind professional climbing which is VERY different than other sports, in fact you find absolutely NO sex advertising from climbing companies.

Heres link:

So heres some information now...

When climbing you can do a few things.

Top-rope This is what you will likely be doing. Whether in a gym or outdoors, this is when the rope goes from you the climber, up to the top, and back down to the belayer. If you just show up to a gym you will probably end up doing this.

Belay This is when you are the anchor for the climber, you ensure that when the climber falls, the rope will hold them up.

Bouldering
- is when you have NO ROPE, you stay low generally under 10' although high ball boulders can be 14'+ which is DANGEROUS. Bouldering moves are generally MUCH harder than rope climbing moves, and focus on technique + power, rather than endurance.

Lead - This is like top-roping, but it is what has to be done to set the rope up on top outside in the first place. This is where the rope goes straight from the belayer to you, IE you LEAD the rope up the wall. Throughout the route on the way up bolts are put on the rock (or wall) and from this you hang 2 carabiners which you clip the rope through as you are climbing up. This is also refered to as sport climbing. It is basically how people climb in the outdoor world. It focuses on strength and endurance as you must hold on with 1 arm as you clip in up various times up the wall, which can be very tough.

Trad This is crazy. This is similar to lead, except it is done around cracks in the rock where you shove this devices called Cams into the crack and they expand and then you clip in to that as you climb up. It is dangerous as the cams dont always catch.

Theres also a couple more like soloing, which is for the truely insane, where you climb rock faces with no non human power, IE just your self. As you can see from the movie there is also deep-water-soloing which is nuts.

So if you are looking to get into climbing, I would recommend getting a friend, looking up your closest rock gym, chances are you can find one, I mean I live in Vermont and there are about 4 or 5 within 40 minutes of me, and get some rental gear and a belay lesson and try out some easy routes. What you will see in a gym is a bunch of walls with holds on them and tape under the holds. The tape signifies a route, and thus you should only use the holds of that route when you are on it (marked by the tape). I've noticed that a lot of new climbers tend to just climb on whatever the fuck holds they want, and well I guess thats fine, but if you want to learn anything, ask for an easy route and stick to the tape.

Route ratings are based on difficulty of the moves. For rope climbing they are labeled as v5.# and generally it doesnt go below a v5.5, so at the gym look for 5.5s or 5.6s.

Also bouldering is a good option in gyms, its what I do generally since I dont always have someone to belay me. Bouldering problems are also taped up, although some gyms have boulder looking formations with holds on that you "top out" meaning finishing the problem is getting on top of it. Generally speaking boulder routes are taped with shorter tape that has 2 colors of tape, or tape in the form of upside down T's coming off the holds.

Boulder problem ratings are different, they are just v#. So easiest is a v0, which will have moves on it similar to a v5.10 in climbing, which sounds hard, but v0's are fuckin easy, they are so short just about anyone can pull off the 5.10 moves on them. Rope route moves dont start getting hard till 5.11 anyways.

I've been stuck in the gym all winter, but just this weekend I hit up my first outdoor rock yesterday and today and it was nice. I cant wait to go outdoors this summer, I'm planning on spending my summer at this spot that is right on the shore of Lake Champlain and features a plateau coming out of the water surrounded by deep water HELLO DEEP WATER SOLOING! Actually it is more like bouldering over water, but w.e icon_smile.gif

Outdoors is really where its at. Theres nothing like taking a trip with your friends outside, hiking to a spot, gearing up and climbing outdoors. It really just puts you into these amazing locations with beautiful natural rock formations. AMAZING!

I will update tomorrow with some pictures of me, my friends, and some pro's climbing.

Guys I highly recommend looking in to rock climbing, dont pussy out it gets you into serious shape and its easy to start!

Lastly here is a link to my friends ghetto rock climbing site: www.climbvt.net Check out some videos and pics there if you want, also youtubeing "Chris Sharma" "Dave Graham" or "Emily Harrington" always brings up some very entertaining videos.

PS- If you do rock climb post some pics, videos, or tell us what rating you climb, or some show us some pics of outdoor spots you've hit up. For you climbers out there I climb 5.11's and boulder at around v6 although I could probably work a v7 and get it eventually, it took me about 7 months to climb 5.11 strong, then I stopped focus on ropes and went to bouldering, just for comaprison it took Chris Sharma one year of climbing to reach 5.12 outdoors which is CRAZY. This means he learned how to lead 5.12 in that year, not just top rope plastic holds in a gym like I did to get to 5.11 in 7 months icon_razz.gif (although I am still very proud of myself!)

Pictures-

Here is me at Rumney, NH which is arguably the best sport climbing on the east coast(and only 45 minutes from me icon_surprised.gif ) , and pioneered by Dave Graham himself

^ This route is called the underdog, and is a v5.10 that I top-roped my first run up, it is a VERY long route, I would say 70 feet but I dont know for sure.

Heres another of me on the underdog, below me is my friend who went to WORLDS for Speed climbing (back when they actually did that) although he didnt do to hot there:

Heres one of me at a climbing competition, that I didnt do so hot in >< mostly cause I spent too much energy on this damn v6 I'm trying in the picture:

Here is Chris Sharma being crazy: http://www.flickr.co...N03/2216590283/

Dave Graham working a CRAZY overhang: http://www.utahclimb...satis.sized.jpg

And lastly, for now, here is my summer project:

And a link to a pic of the surrounding area: http://image12.websh...67RHKmaO_ph.jpg

Post your own pics!
IPB Image

Blackened

Blackened
  • GA Private
  • 2,262 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1658
I try and go climbing atleast a few times a month. But lately I've wanted to go more when I can. No time for it.

I did however do Ice Climbing recently. Which was fucking insane! The guides I had were able to Solo like 200ft frozen waterfalls to set up the belay rope. Off topic but awesome.

I prefer bouldering personally, I can go at whatever pace I want depending on what I want to do. But I suck at climbing...

Smiler

Smiler
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • xfire:smilerdave
I am inspired and will give this a go!

Careful with the clibming at the lake though, dont drown.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
Respect to you!!!!

So glad to see another climber on here. And a sports climber too.

Yea, I'm a pretty avid climber myself, been doing it for over 10 years now. I do most of my climbing indoors though, as I live in England. icon_wink.gif

Chris Sharma, Dani Andrada, Dave Graham etc. are absolutely phenomenal climbers and always fun to watch.

I will definitely be hanging around this thread a lot. icon_smile.gif

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
I used to go climbing once a week when I was 13-14, haven't been since though. Fucking awesome stuff if you've got the gear/time.

Dylantendo

Dylantendo
  • Members
  • 1,010 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dylantendo
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
I went once last year with my Outdoor Ed class. It was pretty fun, but if I go again I would definately like to go outside and actually climb some rocks. The walls I climbed weren't that big.

Cypher.bleu

Cypher.bleu
  • Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • xfire:wilsonwws
<3 Rock climbing.

But for some reason, it's like I'm waaaaaay worse at rock climbing now when I first started lol. The first time I did it, I was a natural and did everything really quick and generally did great for a beginner...But now, I can barely do even simple overhangs.

Anyways, I don't do it regularly but onoly do it a few times every summer, last summer we went to Chiangmai in thailand and we climbed and abseiled there (was very very simple stuff). I'll upload some pics later. icon_razz.gif

You know what else is awesome? Mountain biking! icon_biggrin.gif

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
We had a climbing wall back in high school. It was awesome. I was also one fast motherfucker icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
Warning : Shameless self-promotion below -

My rock-climbing claim to fame is that one of my songs got featured in a rock-climbing dvd - the latest installment in the Dosage series, Dosage V. icon_smile.gif

Check out the music section on the website to hear my tune. icon_smile.gif

lawlerer

lawlerer
  • Members
  • 1,128 posts
  • Interests:rock climbing, hacky sack, fishing, computers, video games, marijuana, spirituality, environment, etc
QUOTE (j type @ Mar 23 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warning : Shameless self-promotion below -

My rock-climbing claim to fame is that one of my songs got featured in a rock-climbing dvd - the latest installment in the Dosage series, Dosage V. icon_smile.gif

Check out the music section on the website to hear my tune. icon_smile.gif

Oh wow nice, Dosage is pretty big! And wow, climbing for 10 years thats a long time! You ever do any competitions? I went to a lot of bouldering competitions this last year. In my first one I entered in the beginner division and won, and in my second one I entered in it again, but I climbed a route 2 levels above beginner so they said they had to bump me, but low and behold a week later when they post results on the website I got 3rd in beginner haha...

Since then though, I've been entering in Intermediate and totally crapping up my climbing at the comps, just picking too hard stuff to do and at the end when I dont have my climbs all down Im too tired to even finish v3's and 4's icon_sad.gif

I really need to work on my endurance.

Okay time to update the post with some pics icon_smile.gif
IPB Image

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (lawlerer @ Mar 23 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And wow, climbing for 10 years thats a long time! You ever do any competitions? I went to a lot of bouldering competitions this last year. In my first one I entered in the beginner division and won, and in my second one I entered in it again, but I climbed a route 2 levels above beginner so they said they had to bump me, but low and behold a week later when they post results on the website I got 3rd in beginner haha...

Since then though, I've been entering in Intermediate and totally crapping up my climbing at the comps, just picking too hard stuff to do and at the end when I dont have my climbs all down Im too tired to even finish v3's and 4's icon_sad.gif

I really need to work on my endurance.

Okay time to update the post with some pics icon_smile.gif

Actually no, I have wanted to for ages but never got round to it, or if I was up for one, I haven't been able to make it, or whatever. But yeah, been climbing regularly since i was about 10, pretty much every week, sometimes more. However, recently I haven't been that well, so haven't been able to climb much at all. icon_sad.gif

My body-type is better suited to bouldering (or at least, 'bouldery' routes), but I think that sports-climbing is awesome too, and definitely good for increasing stamina and courage (icon_wink.gif).

Well, this isn't a photo, but it's definitely one of my favourite Sharma climbs to watch:

Chris Sharma on Dreamtime (9a)

Do you go climbing with other people regularly? I mean, other good climbers? Cos that's one of the best things for improving your level imo. I'm lucky enough to have two of my older brothers that are both better than me and in completely different ways too. It always gives me something to aim for, and reminds me that people have such different styles of climbing too.

lawlerer

lawlerer
  • Members
  • 1,128 posts
QUOTE (j type @ Mar 23 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually no, I have wanted to for ages but never got round to it, or if I was up for one, I haven't been able to make it, or whatever. But yeah, been climbing regularly since i was about 10, pretty much every week, sometimes more. However, recently I haven't been that well, so haven't been able to climb much at all. icon_sad.gif

My body-type is better suited to bouldering (or at least, 'bouldery' routes), but I think that sports-climbing is awesome too, and definitely good for increasing stamina and courage (icon_wink.gif).

Well, this isn't a photo, but it's definitely one of my favourite Sharma climbs to watch:

Chris Sharma on Dreamtime (9a)

Do you go climbing with other people regularly? I mean, other good climbers? Cos that's one of the best things for improving your level imo. I'm lucky enough to have two of my older brothers that are both better than me and in completely different ways too. It always gives me something to aim for, and reminds me that people have such different styles of climbing too.

Yes I go regularly with my friend who owns that website I linked, he went to nationals when he was eligible for the youth division, but he hasnt made it yet since he's adult now. He is also best friends with a guy who went to worlds, and regularly wins advanced division bouldering competitions around here. I also have been on an outdoor bouldering trip to Pawtuckway State Park in NH with a semi-professional --David Whetmore, whom I smoked up for his first time in a long time icon_smile.gif

Needless to say I've been around good climbers the whole time, and it REALLY helps my technique.
IPB Image

Christron

Christron

I'd fuck the shit out of the Queen

• GA Private
  • 2,916 posts
  • xfire:Steam: Headlightsunderwater
  • Interests:Music and Games.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Christron
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:coming soon
  • Gamer Army ID:1579
Here's me a few years ago, i try to get as much in as possible...

but with the recent influx of clients needing someone to infiltrate impossible fortresses for mundane things like disks... i haven't been able to "rock out" as much as i'd like to.

Lt ledhead

Lt ledhead
  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • xfire:ledhead93
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lt ledhead
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
The closest ive done are those fake walls in the gym or such, still pretty fun:D

lawlerer

lawlerer
  • Members
  • 1,128 posts
QUOTE (Lt ledhead @ Mar 23 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The closest ive done are those fake walls in the gym or such, still pretty fun:D

Keep at it, it is very fun! Eventually climbing enough at a local gym you will meet people who go on outdoors trips and sometime they will let you get in on that, its worth it.
IPB Image

exterminator321

exterminator321
  • Members
  • 1,214 posts
  • xfire:exterminator321
Wow this actually seems like something that could be really fun. I think I might try that some time. I hope my local gym has a rock climbing wall or some shit like that so I can get started.
IPB Image

lawlerer

lawlerer
  • Members
  • 1,128 posts
QUOTE (exterminator321 @ Mar 23 2009, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow this actually seems like something that could be really fun. I think I might try that some time. I hope my local gym has a rock climbing wall or some shit like that so I can get started.

Toronto? I'd say you're fine, they probably have some amazing gyms around there.

Also heres a nice website for you guys to check out: CLICK

Go to the far right and click "Current Issue" Dead Point Magazine is a free publication where the paper version is kind of gimped, and the full version of the issue is on their website. You can also sign up for their "community" which enters you into a raffle to win a free climbing wall in your house!
IPB Image

lawlerer

lawlerer
  • Members
  • 1,128 posts
UPDATE: My summer project was completed about 2 weeks ago. That huge rock over the water, I did a problem on that which I would rate at something like v4 or v5 for those of you that know the ratings of bouldering.

I was actually there again this last Saturday. I randomly decided to start climbing it, and as I am topping it out, I look out over the lake and a HUGE cruise ship is passing by with like 100 people on it all watching me climb. It was so sick, I was so pumped I got up pumped fists in the air and yelled at them, and some waved back.

I also go in some 5.12's this summer on the rope, first 12's ever.

Anyone else doing any climbing this summer?
IPB Image

Shaun.

Shaun.

Overall Best PP Contributor | MoTMJan08

• GA Corporal
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Vidya, music, Marvel and frilly things.
  • Gamer Army ID:145
QUOTE (Christron @ Mar 24 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's me a few years ago, i try to get as much in as possible...

but with the recent influx of clients needing someone to infiltrate impossible fortresses for mundane things like disks... i haven't been able to "rock out" as much as i'd like to.

You look horrifyingly sober.

Phr3quency

Phr3quency
  • GA Private
  • 717 posts
  • xfire:tmzaied22
  • Interests:Gaming, Hardware, PC mods, Building PCs Music, Fitness, Photography/Photoshop, American Football
  • Gamer Army ID:2387
I had the most surreal experience while climbing last summer. In short, I was the first up the mountain, and I don't have any memory of climbing it. I was on the bottom, then on the top. My whole body was shaking and I was exhausted. It was the single most powerful event in my short life, and makes me regret not climbing more. Luckily, I'm heading to a sport rock gym with some buddies before summer ends- and I really want to pursue it.
:[Brodiator- Lightning's Blade]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users