Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gaming Laptop?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

jejjohnson

jejjohnson
  • Members
  • 4 posts
I know people always talk about how gaming laptops being a waste of money and how you can just buy a desktop and a normal laptop for the same price of an ultra gaming laptop for the same price. I need a laptop because of practicality. Im always moving. However, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are certain specs that i was wondering about.

I want a good FAST laptop to last me 4 - 5 years or so. I also want to be able to play the usual simple online games like BF2 and some of the more recent MMORPGs.

First of all, i was wondering if a quad core is neccessary for a laptop? Like I said, I want a really fast computer and i dont want any lag. Not if i can help it for the next 4 -5 years. And like, for example, is getting a quad core with 2.0 GHz better than a dual core 2.8 GHz? Im confused in that area.

Second of all, there are options of graphics cards. For a decent price, I can get a single ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 512MB or a nVIDIA Geforce 9800M GT. Thats enough for the normal average games right? And if so, how far will that take me with some of todays games?

Third of all, Operating System. Now, I was thinking 4GB is more than enough for now and the future. However, to get the full usage, they say u need a 64-bit. And last time i checked, 64-bit was a bit buggy and not worth getting because of programming or something like that. Whats the recent status on that??

Ok, i believe thats all i need help for. Ill let u know if i have any other questions. But in the meantime...PLEASE ADVISE icon_smile.gif
[/font]

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
Welcome to the forums btw.

I've got a gaming laptop, and I'm undecided on it. It cost a lot more than a PC with the same specs would have, but I like it. It's energy efficient, quiet, and I love it. What you have to bare in mind when buying a gaming laptop is certain aspects which you won't be able to upgrade, eg. proccessor + graphics card. Usually the RAM can be upgraded, as I boosted mine from 2GB to 4GB (even though it only shows up at 3 'cause I have 32x). It depends what games you're looking at playing. I'd probs go for Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4ghz +. Mine is 1.7ghz but still runs Unreal Tournament 3 suprisingly well to some extent. Graphics card will wanna be nVidia 8800+ power really. I mean, basically just make sure it's something which will last you into the future. As I said, if you can upgrade the ram it's not a problem, and 2GB will surfice on Vista unless you wanna upgrade.

Where are you? America? UK? Australia? I can only really help you out if you give a budget and currency.

To answer you questions:

1. You don't need quad core. No games currently NEED quad core, so a high end Dual Core will do you.
2. I dunno if you can really get nVidia 9800GT on laptops out atm, could be wrong, but I'd expect it to cost a shit load.
3. Vista's never been buggy with me. I have 32x though so...not sure what 64x is like, I doubt it's much different. 3GB mem should do you fine, and it's so cheap nowadays to buy 1 or 2gb laptop mem sticks. Just make sure you get the right ones! It cost me 20 for 2x 2GB laptop mem sticks (10 each).

#1 Resident Evil Fan

viper88

viper88
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:Viper1288
  • Interests:Computer Building, gaming, guns... a little bit of everything
  • Steam ID:V3nomous
  • Xbox / GFWL:viper1288
  • PSN:ghey
I'm no expert but I'm learning and here's what I can tell you.

1. A quad core proc is not necessary, and a 2.8ghz dual core will perform better for gaming than a 2.0ghz quad core, quad core is more for multi tasking or programs for video editing and photoshop.

2. yes, for games such as bf2 and regular MMO's, a single 9800 would give you a playable framerate but not great performance like you might get out of a newer card like a GTX 280 or 4850/4870. If possible, make sure your video card has dedicated memory, as playing with one using shared memory pretty much sucks.

3. For what you are doing 4gigs of RAM should be more than sufficient, and i believe 32bit OS's can use up to 3.2 or 3.5 something so a 32 bit OS would work. I'm on Vista 64 bit and I haven't had any problems with it but yes I have heard of bugs with older programs/hardware. I bought Vista Ultimate for this reason, because it comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit install disks and I wasn't sure which one i would end up using. Vista home premium 32 bit should be fine, or XP (I kinda like XP media center edition, but that's mostly cause it tied in nicely with my 360).

Lastly, this computer is already gonna be outdated by desktop standards, and even desktops dont last more than a year or so before being completely outdated. No amount of money you put into a laptop is going to make it future proof. Just my opinion.

Anyways just my thoughts, im sure people will be here soon to tell me how wrong i am, and to tell you to buy a desktop and cheap notebook/netbook (that's what i did and haven't regretted it yet lol)

Edit: dammit, you beat me to it Tj.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (viper88 @ Mar 16 2009, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit install disks

Mine didn't.

But I haven't had any problems with 64bit.

Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Looks like most questions have been answer.. I can confirm that 64bit is kinda mature right now. A 9800Gt Mobile would be perfect really. Not going into detail, I'd say it's kinda futureproof, and spending more would just result in diminishing return.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

viper88

viper88
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:Viper1288
  • Interests:Computer Building, gaming, guns... a little bit of everything
  • Steam ID:V3nomous
  • Xbox / GFWL:viper1288
  • PSN:ghey
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Mar 16 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine didn't.

But I haven't had any problems with 64bit.

was it a retail copy of ultimate? that's the only reason i bought ultimate because i wanted a retail copy (in case i change the motherboard) and i wanted to have both the 32 and 64 bit discs.

and @OP, welcome to the forums, hope we helped answer your questions.

PwntToast

PwntToast

I want a title. But I'm not creative D:

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
  • xfire:pwnttoast
  • Interests:Gaming, Playing/listening to music, skateboarding.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Marcus Fps
  • PSN:Nope.
  • Wii:Not yet.
Hijack here, sorry OP.

So, is Vista 64bit, better than a 32bit? I know it's buggy, from what I've read above.
If a computer has 4GB of RAM, it's a waste to get 32bit isn't it?
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
It's not better it's just as good. And yes, 32bit with 4GB is technically a waste

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Gold Leader

Gold Leader
  • GA Private
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:3dfx Graphics, pure pwnage, StarWars, Sting &amp; The Police, Dinosaurs, Air Force jets and bombers worldwide!,, MC-Hammer, 50Cent, and DJ-Tiesto + Chicane
  • Gamer Army ID:3981
if you like flight sims take a Quad core if you like games take a Dual Core, this is because games don;t use more than 2 CPU cores as their support goes for VGA if you are looking at High end, I'd say a ATi Mobility HD 4870 aka M98 or if you want a GeForce go for the GeForce GTX 280M these two are the best GFX if you are seeking an ultra high end laptop.

if Midrange is more your sector get a Dual Core from Intel the Core2 duo series, and a HD 4670 Mobile aka M96 or a GeForce 9800M , either one is your choice, I would take the M98 but that's my opinion it could be that you prefer an NV chip, though I have to admit ATi has been in the mobile market since 1994 so as their experience goes they are more experienced in this sector, but stil the NV chips do have a good record none the less, as for ram , if you are looking for a high end gamers setup2x 2GB DDR-800 is a must have if you are willing to run a 64Bit OS , if not 2x 1GB would do you enough good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users