Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Building A Computer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

PwntToast

PwntToast

I want a title. But I'm not creative D:

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
  • xfire:pwnttoast
  • Interests:Gaming, Playing/listening to music, skateboarding.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Marcus Fps
  • PSN:Nope.
  • Wii:Not yet.
Alright, so here's the deal. In about 4 months, I'm buying a full computer, and a monitor. I have headphones, a mouse, a keyboard, all that shit, (although, I could use new headphones.) I realize this is somewhat early to be thinking about this, but I MUST be able to pick out most of it right?

Budget: $1500 CAN. Staying a bit lower then this would be great. Around the $1300 area would be perfect. But if it's absolutely necessary, $1500 it is.

I was thinking about ordering from www.newegg.ca but I liked www.directcanada.com I ordered a mousepad and mic from there and received it in about..4 days?

So again, I need a monitor, and tower. This is my first time building a computer, and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I've heard its easy, and parts come with manuels so icon_smile.gif

I'd also like to know if there's anything I need to build it? I know like screwdrivers and stuff, but I read places I need thermal paste or something?

edit: Oh and I know about ATi's new cards coming out, and there will be some price drops as well so. I probably won't choose the GPU now.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

viper88

viper88
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:Viper1288
  • Interests:Computer Building, gaming, guns... a little bit of everything
  • Steam ID:V3nomous
  • Xbox / GFWL:viper1288
  • PSN:ghey
QUOTE (PwntToast @ Mar 12 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So again, I need a monitor, and tower. This is my first time building a computer, and I don't really know what I'm doing, but I've heard its easy, and parts come with manuels so icon_smile.gif

make that RETAIL parts come with manuals lol. OEM stuff comes without cables or manuals.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
This is what I have chosen for now.

Any edits?

I know thats not everything.

edit: Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI - Retail
MOBO: MSI P45 Neo3-FR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail
Heatsink: Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm LED Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink - Retail
DVD-Drive: LITE-ON Black 6X Blu-Ray DVD ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA Model iHES106-29 - OEM

And thats all I've chosen so far.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
BONG!

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
Ok, directcanada it is then.

ehh..There is no e8500 on directcanada...But theres an e8600 for $354..

edit: Directcanda is limited as fuck...I'm not ordering from there. Plus, it's expensive...I'll just order from newegg icon_razz.gif

(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I still reckon directcanada is cheaper. Also, get the E8400, it'll overclock about just as high as an E8500

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
I guess it is too early. And nobody helped me really, on what to get icon_razz.gif

So I'll just wait til the time comes.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
QUOTE (PwntToast @ Mar 13 2009, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And nobody helped me really, on what to get icon_razz.gif

What's that supposed to mean? Like, that build you have now is fine except for what I suggested.

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK - Retail
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm LED Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink - Retail

Newegg Price after Shipping/Taxes : Grand Total: $1,468.49

Directcanada Price : Total $1,317.77

Oh Shii noticed you needed a monitor aswell. Personally i wouldnt buy one off of the internet, their dead pixel policy is shit. Go to a store or something i got a 22inch 1080P monitor on sale for 170 bucks the other day. As for thermal paste you might need it, not sure if the Tuniq Tower comes with any.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
Alright, thanks. Like I said above though, the GPU will probably change in 4 months time.. And if I bought a monitor in the store, I could get a better chance of spending $1500. Sounds dumb, but it's true.

I didn't see an e8400 on directcanda, couldn't find it.

Was all the stuff you listed on directcanada?

I think I'll take a look at tigerdirect too, compare prices there. icon_smile.gif
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Right on the frontpage for me icon_confused.gif

http://www.directcan...nufacture=INTEL

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
... lol

So..Would the 4870 1GB be necessary?

edit: Monitor won't be more then 22" so..I guess not.

Ok, I was talking to Kazz, and noticed I probably should of said..quiet parts would be nice...

For now, it'll be basically right next to my bed so...If I don't turn it off some nights..you know.

Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 S754 S939 S940 S478 LGA775 Heatpipe Cooler 120MM Fan CPU Heatsink
$66.10

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail
$208.88

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 1366+ 1PCI-E SATA2 RAID HD Sound GLAN 1394A Motherboard
$147.23

G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
$52.86

Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E
$172.20

XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card

$308.57

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty*

$79.62

Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 Atx 9 Drive Bay No Ps Top USB2.0 1394 Audio

$127.47

Pioneer DVR-116DBK DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 12X Black OEM IDE DVD Burner No Software

$32.67

Sub Total: $1,195.60

So thats what I picked out, I changed whatever I had to because of limited stock. I think it was only the dvd drive though..

Kazz said it would be smarter to get a p182, over a 900, since it's quiter, and..no blue lights on when I'm trying to sleep if the computer is left on. I'm big on the blue lights, and prettiness of the case, lol.

And one question about OCing..I have not a single clue about it. So..Is it like...Something I have to do inside my PC? Like, in the case?
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
you want a quiet computer, get a nice quiet PSU, and a large heatsink that will allow you to turn down the fan.... AND THEN YOU STICK IT IN AN ANTEC900 WITH A 4870 w/o AN AFTERMARKET COOLER!?!?

icon_razz.gif

seriously, you really ought to look into a much quieter case (also one with a lot fewer LEDs, if youre going to have this near your head at bedtime)

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
Well, I'll invest into an aftermarket cooler for the 4870.

Any recommendations for other quiet parts?
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
yes! a Sonata or a P180-derivative

try this one: http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16811129024

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
As for an aftermarket cooler, Scythe Musashi should do the trick.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Mar 13 2009, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for an aftermarket cooler, Scythe Musashi should do the trick.

I added that, and I'm gonna go with the Antec p182.

edit: Here it is, without the monitor. I think I'm gonna get a 4870 anyways.

Antec P182 ATX Black Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Audio Firewire
$171.59

Scythe Musashi Aluminum Heatpipe VGA Cooler 2X100MM PWM Fans 800-2000RPM 12.5-29.2DBA

$40.18

Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120 S754 S939 S940 S478 LGA775 Heatpipe Cooler 120MM Fan CPU Heatsink
$66.10

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail
$208.88

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 1366+ 1PCI-E SATA2 RAID HD Sound GLAN 1394A Motherboard
$147.23

G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
$52.86

Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E

$172.20

XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB DDR5 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
$308.57

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA2 3.5IN 8.5MS 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM *3YR MFR Warranty*
$79.62

Pioneer DVR-116DBK DVD+RW 20X8X16 DVD-RW 20X6X16 DL 12X Black OEM IDE DVD Burner No Software
$32.67

Total: $1,279.90

Soundcard can wait til after. At the point, I'll probably pick up some ATH-700s as well.

Maybe if I have any money leftover at the end of the summer, I can buy it then icon_razz.gif
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
Btw, 512MB 4870 will be all you need.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
Shit, though O had a 512 there. Thanks. I swear I added a 512 to the cart..

edit:ugh shit....I type in 4870 in the search, and that one card comes up, and it's 1GB.'

edit2: ...I messed up the search engine and over looked other results...

edit3: How's this..http://www.directcan...anufacture=ASUS
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (PwntToast @ Mar 13 2009, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not available

http://www.directcan...ture=POWERCOLOR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users