Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Actual Wow Vs. Eve Discussion. (not Trolling This Time, I Swear)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: EvE Vs. WoW (27 member(s) have cast votes)

After reading this, are you going to investigate EvE?

1. Yes (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

2. No (22 votes [81.48%])

Percentage of vote: 81.48%

Do you play EvE, or WoW?

1. EvE (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

2. WoW (23 votes [79.31%])

Percentage of vote: 79.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Xaine

Xaine
  • GA Private
  • 17 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1994
Ok, so as a few of you may have seen before, I posted some pretty shitty troll threads about the subject, but after reading the last one, I was actually inspired to discuss the issue in a semi serious manner. No more walls of text, and actual talk.

WoW vs EvE.

Ok, so I used to play WoW, I was a level 60 Priest before BC came out. I quit basically as soon as I hit 60, here is why: I was level 59 when I realized that I'd be doing the same thing I was doing as a level 1, just with bigger numbers and shiny gear. But hey, I kept with it, my friend told me raiding was awesome, but I thought about it. You raid to get better gear right? So what do you do when you get all of the best gear? PvP? That'll get boring fast though, you have the best gear, you will be pretty hard to kill. So I quit.

I spent a lot of done time on my friends vent server, just talking to people, and a few of my friends were playing EvE, and it sounded REALLY cool, they kept talking about it, so I made an account, and 20 minutes later announced it was gay and quit. I did this three times, before sticking with it long enough to get my first PvP kill. Which I still remember to this day. It was easily the scariest and most intense moment I've ever experienced playing a video game. I had stolen some ore from a miner, and he came back in a battlecruiser class ship. Now, I was only in a frigate, a ship that was like a bug on his mirror. I foolishly attacked him and died. (I was a noob back then.) But, instead of rage quitting, I bought a battleship, and using what I learned about him from my previous fight, fit my ship to kick his ass, and that's what I did, I came back in the frigate, stole his loot again, and as he went away to get his Battlecruiser, I went and got mine. The fight took about 2 minutes. I was shaking the whole time.
That's my story about how I got into EvE, and yeah, I will admit, I quit it 3 times before finally getting hooked, but the game has an impossible learning curve that just isn't for some people.

Lets talk about leveling:
EvE: You train skills, you can only train one at a time, and they take anywhere from 9 minutes to 3 months. The advantages are; there is no grinding, and your character is constantly improving. The disadvantages are; it takes a while before you can be bad-ass enough to kill other players. Time put into the game does not equal how good your character is.
HOWEVER your characters skills matter less than YOUR skill. EvE is the ONLY MMO I know of where the players skill, cunning, cleverness, and intelligence matter more than your characters stats, WAY more. I have killed people with quadruple the amount of skills points I have. Simply because I out thought them. Also, the way skills work, it is very possible to train and specialize in a certain area of combat and keep up with a player that has been around for 4 years, in that same area of combat.

WoW: You kill mobs, and you get double XP for being 'rested' if you log out in a capital city, or an inn, you accumulate 'rest'. Advantages: Time put into the game directly correlates with how strong your character is. Disadvantages; grinding.

PvE:
EVE: I actually don't know too much about the PvE of EVE, you don't really NEED to do it and it's kind of boring. You go into a 'deadspace' where NPC's spawn, you need to kill all of them or complete a certain task, and then talk to your agent who gives you a reward. You get ISK (money) and LP (Loyalty points) you can use the LP to buy FACTION loot, which is better than regular loot, but very expensive. If you go into low security space (space where other players can attack you with little consequence) you can use scan probes to find hidden complex's that could drop rare loot which can fetch a tidy fortune.

WoW: You need to PvE, but the PvE is good. Raids have lots of people, can be fun, but sometimes the raid leader takes things a BIT to seriously... (Can happen in EvE too, but is seems to happen ALL the time in WoW.) Lots of fun boss's etc.

PvP:
This is where EVE shines
EVE: Like I said in my earlier story I get an adrenaline rush from PvP, a lot of other players do to, it's a documented phenomenon. The fact that everything you put on your ship, and your ship can go up in smoke in moments, makes every encounter a rush. It also balances things, like in WoW, whoever has the purples has a serious advantage. In EvE whoever has the faction gear also has a serious advantage, but they can die, and lose everything, instantly. Your average player doesn't run around with faction modules fitted on their ships, which makes people rely more on their skill (player skill no SP (skill points)) rather than their gear. HUGE fleet fights, 500 vs 500. Dynamic fights, capital ships, super capital ships.

Carriers, support capital ships which can launch fighter drones, and remotely repair other ships. Carriers can also carry other ships.

Dreadnaughts, capital class bad ass. These ships sit still, and unleash hell. The sheer damage they do is staggering, they are used to siege star bases, and other capital ships.

Motherships, the first super capital, they are upgraded carriers, they are giant, and immune to electronic warfare. Even against 4 to 1 odds, a mothership can turn the tide of
battle. Finally the

Titan. Super capital, immune to E-War, can unleash a dooms-day which can literally obliterate an entire enemy fleet (or friendly fleet, if you do it wrong.) These ships cost an insane amount of money, and after they doomsday they cannot move or do anything for 15 minutes, they are bad ass, but without a support fleet they will die easily. These ships are not owned by a single player, these are owned by mega corporations. Same with Motherships.

You can conquer territory, meaning you can actual control space, and fight for it. You are fighting other players alliances, and you win glory, resources, and respect.

WoW: Well there are arena's and instances. You are limited in these instances by the number of people you can have. There are no real losses, you can't control territory, winning Warsong Gulch doesn't really matter in the long run. Once you have the best gear, there is really nothing to do, but do Arenas. I'm probably missing stuff here, you guys can fill it in, I haven't play WoW in a very long time.

Flame away, trolls are welcome, I'm not a hypocrite.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
I've always wanted to try EvE coz i've heard great things and im a sucker for space.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (Garamiah @ Feb 27 2009, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always wanted to try EvE coz i've heard great things and im a sucker for space.

Indeed.

Just the time-training aspect that ruins it for me...

Also, this confuses me;
QUOTE (Xaine @ Feb 27 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was easily the scariest and most intense moment I've ever experienced playing a video game. I had stolen some ore from a miner, and he came back in a battlecruiser class ship. Now, I was only in a frigate, a ship that was like a bug on his mirror. I foolishly attacked him and died. (I was a noob back then.) But, instead of rage quitting, I bought a battleship, and using what I learned about him from my previous fight, fit my ship to kick his ass, and that's what I did, I came back in the frigate, stole his loot again, and as he went away to get his Battlecruiser, I went and got mine. The fight took about 2 minutes. I was shaking the whole time.

Are you saying you went straight from frigate to battleship?

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Senor_Hat

Senor_Hat
  • GA Private
  • 909 posts
  • xfire:senorhat
  • Interests:Bass, Cooking, Gaming, Hacky Sack.
  • Gamer Army ID:3123
QUOTE (Xaine @ Feb 28 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't play WoW in a very long time.

To be fair, if you haven't played WoW in a very long time, this thread is kind of pointless, you don't know how much has changed and added in do you?

Yes I'm aware this is a discussion thread.

I have beaten The Internet. The end guy was hard.

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
I'm not gonna lie, the way you described the PvP system with huge open battles and mega-corporations kinda makes me wanna read up and try it. icon_razz.gif

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
One is a MMORTS and one is a more traditional (In a sense) MMORPG. Comparing them is about as smart as me taking a barrel of babies out to a football field to practice my kick.

/thread

Xaine

Xaine
  • GA Private
  • 17 posts
QUOTE (TreeWombat @ Feb 27 2009, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One is a MMORTS and one is a more traditional (In a sense) MMORPG. Comparing them is about as smart as me taking a barrel of babies out to a football field to practice my kick.

/thread

EVE is a MMORPG, not a MMORTS. They are both MMOs, and can both be compared.

QUOTE (Senor_Hat @ Feb 27 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair, if you haven't played WoW in a very long time, this thread is kind of pointless, you don't know how much has changed and added in do you?

Yes I'm aware this is a discussion thread.

Yeah, well the fundamental gameplay is the same, lots of grinding, and when you die in PvP, you lose nothing, also you can't just gank anyone for any reason, at all.

QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Feb 27 2009, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed.

Just the time-training aspect that ruins it for me...

Also, this confuses me;

Are you saying you went straight from frigate to battleship?

The training thing is actually quite simple, and works really well, it takes a while to train some skills yes, and it takes a while before you can be a productive member of the game, but after about a month or two you can keep up with most players if you train your skills right. Also, the skill training opens your character up SO much. For instance, if you start your character out as a miner, you can train him to be a combat pilot as well. If you want to mine, get in your mining ship, if you want to pew pew, get in your pew pew ship.

And I actually made a typo there, I went from a frigate to a battlecruiser, it was a terribly fit battlecruiser, 'cause I was a noob, but it was fit better than my opponents, who fit his completely and utterly retardly. If the other person had fit theirs in a reasonably intelligent way, I probably would have died. I hadn't really trained any of the skills for a battlecruiser except the bare minimum.

Oh, that's a scale picture of all the ships in EVE. the Eiffel tower is on the bottom left, to give you a sense of size.

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
OP seems extremely one sided.
You broke wow down to the fundamentals and elaborated fully on eve.

If your gonna do that, this may as well be your summary:
WoW: kill shit
Eve: kill shit in space

therefore eve is better

WoW may not be as deep as eve, but it does do a lot of things right. And the player numbers show that.

QUOTE (Senor_Hat @ Feb 28 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This too.

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

Xaine

Xaine
  • GA Private
  • 17 posts
QUOTE (Slinky @ Feb 28 2009, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP seems extremely one sided.
You broke wow down to the fundamentals and elaborated fully on eve.

If your gonna do that, this may as well be your summary:
WoW: kill shit
Eve: kill shit in space

therefore eve is better

WoW may not be as deep as eve, but it does do a lot of things right. And the player numbers show that.

This too.

I also said you guys should fill in more, since I don't remember it. So, why don't you elaborate on WoW for me, and actually contribute? I'm not just dismissing WoW as shit, but make an argument, tell me what it does right, and why I should play it. My argument IS one sided, I've been playing EVE much longer than WoW, and I enjoy it way more. I'd like to make the argument that WoW has more players because:
A. Huge fanbase from other Warcraft games.
B. Elaborate back story from said Warcraft games.
C. Much easier, and nicer, and more forgiving than games like EVE.

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
Okay, fair enough. Ill add in what I can for what I think you missed.

--------

Leveling:
Wow leveling can seem a chore to those who only have interest in the end game experience. However if try to appreciate it for what it is, it can be a highly enjoyable and rewarding experience. Seeing your avatar grow slowing, becoming strong, changing its looks with acquired armor purely from your input can be a rewarding experience, with the next step in you're characters evolution always just out of reach. Recently, the xp requirements for each level has been dropped, allowing people, who so wish too, get to the prized end game experience a lot quicker. Skills acquired by leveling gives a sort of personal touch to a character, allowing it to perform specific tasks in needed in groups, or to facilitate faster leveling. Screw up you're skill tree and its only too easy to start over without much loss.

Advantage: Simple carrot-on-a-string reward systems holds interest (for most)
Disadvantage: Grinding or similar can be seen as a chore.

--------

PvP:
PvP in WoW is pretty big, both inside the world and outside. Inside the world your choices are arena's, instances, and world. Arenas are pretty simple, but give a competitive edge with arena teams etc. Again you are rewarded with a constant stream of updating arena gear. There does exist territory control in WoW, for example in Hellfire Peninsula in BC. There also exists a pretty big competive scene with arenas and what not.. if thats what you're into

Advantages: Many options. Again, being rewarded constantly. No big loss when killed.
Disadvantages: Being ganked is never fun.

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
I thought wow was the most boring and repetitive game until I played eve but eve is also a good game

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
jusit a note on the size comparison, the smallest ship in the game is the size of a boeing 747

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (shunted @ Feb 28 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jusit a note on the size comparison, the smallest ship in the game is the size of a boeing 747

Yes, but it's easier to render a Boeing 747 in space, then it is to render a 747 on a real planet with tree's and buildings and moving landscape, as opposed to a sphere with little points of light all over the place.

m30wc0w

m30wc0w
  • Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • xfire:m30wc0w
  • Interests:FERRET
Your graph fails the vertical line test bud icon_smile.gif
About Eve, it seems as if it's another life. Do I want a game like that? Or do I want a game where I can play for an hour or two a day, like I can in WoW?
I think WoW is more casual friendly than Eve, which, as a result, gives a wider array of players unlike what you may see in Eve.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Feb 28 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but it's easier to render a Boeing 747 in space, then it is to render a 747 on a real planet with tree's and buildings and moving landscape, as opposed to a sphere with little points of light all over the place.

dude.. im talking about canon size... model size is probs about a ft in size

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (m30wc0w @ Feb 28 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your graph fails the vertical line test bud icon_smile.gif
About Eve, it seems as if it's another life. Do I want a game like that? Or do I want a game where I can play for an hour or two a day, like I can in WoW?
I think WoW is more casual friendly than Eve, which, as a result, gives a wider array of players unlike what you may see in Eve.

Not only that but it doesn't really reflect the reality of the games in question, with the axes labelled as they are. If the graph is gaming skill vs. time, then wow's curve would be steeper because it's easy to learn, whereas EVE would have a more level slope because it takes more time to get into it.

I played eve for several months. The only thing I liked about it was pvp and the in-game market. (and ECM)

TBH wow is much better because you're actually rewarded for putting time and effort into the game, like ZP said. Sure you get money for spending time in eve, but you can't do anything with that money until your skill timers are done. And mining is just way too boring. Also, PVE combat is way too boring. The only thing that saves pvp combat is the scale and the fact that there is some original strategy to it. (Ranges, weapon types, speed, and my favorite, ECM)

Some people say the fact that you can lose everything in the game makes it fun. Sure, that's original and sounds fun, especially if you're the one wrecking people's shit. But can you imagine all the time and effort spent on getting a POS up, or a titan, or hell even a battlecruiser, just so some punks can come destroy it? Fuck that.

I might have to shell out 30g on a repair bill in WoW, but at least I can count on my armor always being there when I sign on in the morning.
The Blackman is God

Hamham272

Hamham272
  • Members
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Music, Gaming, getting wasted with mates.
So I saw this post right and it was this guy trolling. Then this guy made another post with the exact same arguement and it wasn't trolling cos he said he wasn't...

Xaine

Xaine
  • GA Private
  • 17 posts
QUOTE (Jimmy Rabbitte @ Mar 1 2009, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only that but it doesn't really reflect the reality of the games in question, with the axes labelled as they are. If the graph is gaming skill vs. time, then wow's curve would be steeper because it's easy to learn, whereas EVE would have a more level slope because it takes more time to get into it.

I played eve for several months. The only thing I liked about it was pvp and the in-game market. (and ECM)

TBH wow is much better because you're actually rewarded for putting time and effort into the game, like ZP said. Sure you get money for spending time in eve, but you can't do anything with that money until your skill timers are done. And mining is just way too boring. Also, PVE combat is way too boring. The only thing that saves pvp combat is the scale and the fact that there is some original strategy to it. (Ranges, weapon types, speed, and my favorite, ECM)

Some people say the fact that you can lose everything in the game makes it fun. Sure, that's original and sounds fun, especially if you're the one wrecking people's shit. But can you imagine all the time and effort spent on getting a POS up, or a titan, or hell even a battlecruiser, just so some punks can come destroy it? Fuck that.

I might have to shell out 30g on a repair bill in WoW, but at least I can count on my armor always being there when I sign on in the morning.

I'm the punk blowing up your battlecruiser. If your putting that much time and effort into building a battlecruiser, and you can't afford to lose it, you shouldn't be flying it. Yeah, I kill dudes all the time, but I also get killed. If you're smart you are rewarded, if you are dumb you are punished it's quite simple really.
The fact that you can lose ships add so much to the PvP, I live for the adrenaline rush, people like you were the people I killed, then sent me angry hate mail. I loved people like you, come back to play plz.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Xaine @ Mar 3 2009, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm the punk blowing up your battlecruiser. If your putting that much time and effort into building a battlecruiser, and you can't afford to lose it, you shouldn't be flying it. Yeah, I kill dudes all the time, but I also get killed. If you're smart you are rewarded, if you are dumb you are punished it's quite simple really.
The fact that you can lose ships add so much to the PvP, I live for the adrenaline rush, people like you were the people I killed, then sent me angry hate mail. I loved people like you, come back to play plz.

I wish I was as much of an e-thug as you. Not helping your case if you want people to start playing, it's making me not like the game at all and praying to god you stay in that game, and only that game.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
QUOTE (Xaine @ Mar 3 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

some guy said to me once, "people like you ruin eve" LOLOLOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users