Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Quake Live Open Beta

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
616 replies to this topic

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
OK, I just signed up for the beta today and played a few rounds.

Seems to be very good so far, runs very smoothly - only one or two connection dropouts in about 1.5 hours (which is not too bad, considering there were some high ping players online, it's in beta, and I was DL'ing torrents at the time).

Matchmaking - Pretty good. I don't know what level they placed me at specifically, or if it is possible to know this at all, but it was reasonably challenging. If I focused properly, then I could generally get on top of the scoreboard quickly, but if I started noobing out at all, I would drop off rapidly too. So, that seems to suit me well so far.

I've never really played Quake games at all. I always favored more 'real' FPS games, like DoD:S or OP:Flash, for example. With this in mind then, I have been really surprised at how engaging this game really is. The achievements roll in thick and fast, so it gives you a lot to feel good about and to aim for.

Overall, very enjoyable. icon_smile.gif

Anyone else got any thoughts on the game so far?

ps - sorry if this has been threaded already. I ran a quick search and couldn't find anything specifically on the Open Beta, so, here we are...

Cypher.bleu

Cypher.bleu
  • Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • xfire:wilsonwws
Ugh, my friend and I have been trying for hours to play, but we can't. It's too buggy and just keeps freezing. Everytime you refresh you have to wait in the line again. Ugh.

Only managed to get into the introductory tutorial once, for about 10 seconds. Had to quit because my mouse wasn't fucking working in game and had to ctrl-alt-del out of there, and caused firefox to crash.. First time I've ever seen it crash (and it happened twice in a row).

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
my biggest problem right now is punkbuster not being detected and I get booted after a minute every time I join a game icon_sad.gif
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
Wow... I haven't had any of the problems that you've described. I guess that either, I've been lucky so far and it's just a matter of time for me, or.. well... I'm not sure what else it could be.

I'm using firefox also btw and, although it has crashed on me in the past, Quake Live hasn't caused it to do so.. at least not yet anyway.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
Hmmm...I've been in the closed beta for a while too and I haven't had any problems using Firefox.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
The damn queue is annoying.
And like that, he was gone.

Suoinoleht

Suoinoleht
  • Members
  • 281 posts
  • xfire:suoinoleht
  • Steam ID:Suoinoleht
  • Xbox / GFWL:Suoinoleht
I want to point out a statistic to you all.

The Quake Live queue, as of my last check, was 65,000-75,000 (this is about 15 minutes before posting this). This is excluding the amount of players currently logged in. Rumors of this going higher are all over the internet.

~70,000

Team Fortress 2, as many of you know, just released their massive update with a new gamemode, weapons, maps, and a lot of hilarious sound clips. They also cut the price in half, which, last time they did this, increased sales on the game 3,000%. The game was Left 4 Dead, but the concept holds true.

The record for people playing TF2 today, the first day after the update was released last night, is:

This is fucking huge. We'd better see some hardcore league/tourney action going on really soon. Thanks to id's excellent website/profile/ladder design, hopefully they can host some of their own. We know they're willing, judging by QuakeCon.
Professional Ruiner of Threads:
Degenerates every thread posted in to angry idiots yelling at angry idiots

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
QUOTE (Suoinoleht @ Feb 25 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to point out a statistic to you all.

The Quake Live queue, as of my last check, was 65,000-75,000 (this is about 15 minutes before posting this). This is excluding the amount of players currently logged in. Rumors of this going higher are all over the internet.

~70,000

Team Fortress 2, as many of you know, just released their massive update with a new gamemode, weapons, maps, and a lot of hilarious sound clips. They also cut the price in half, which, last time they did this, increased sales on the game 3,000%. The game was Left 4 Dead, but the concept holds true.

The record for people playing TF2 today, the first day after the update was released last night, is:

This is fucking huge. We'd better see some hardcore league/tourney action going on really soon. Thanks to id's excellent website/profile/ladder design, hopefully they can host some of their own. We know they're willing, judging by QuakeCon.

That is very interesting to know man! I would never have imagined it taking off like that, especially while its still in beta.

One problem I would have with it so far, after trying to log in for a second time, would be that the Queue system will often move you backwards. Now, I'm not sure quite how they are prioritizing the Queue, but I imagine they are giving priority to new traffic/first-time players, which would make sense, or if they are prioritizing people based on their ping/internet activity to keep server loads down. If it was the latter, then that's really annoying for me, because if I see that I'm 70'000th in the queue, then I'm gonna be dl'ing and otherwise browsing the interwebs as normal, which could be lowering my queue priority.

So, I would then overcome this by leaving it to queue hours before I actually want to play, so that I can already be logged in when I need it, which would be one of the things that I imagine they are trying to avoid.

Anyone have any thoughts or insights into their "super secret queuing system"?

Panic92

Panic92
  • Members
  • 232 posts
  • xfire:re4per666
  • Steam ID:re4per666
  • PSN:Panic_92
I think it's good to play; It's fun and is playing pretty smooth. The only annoying thing for me is the queue... Like now, i just want to have a quick game before i get some sleep but i'm stuck in a queue of 22008.

Also, I had to do that placement mission thing 3 times which sucked. The first 2 times it said my account was not fully activated and i have to play the full round vs crash eventhough I did :/ Followed some advice off the forums the 3rd time (I won but let the game last 10 full minutes and then waiting another 2 minutes on the scoreboard afterwards... seemed to work)

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
While yes 70,000 is impressive, if you want to talk statistics, you are comparing the first day of public release to a release of an update for a year-old game.
And like that, he was gone.

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
QUOTE (The Colonel @ Feb 25 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While yes 70,000 is impressive, if you want to talk statistics, you are comparing the first day of free public release to a release of an update for a year-old game.

Fixed that for 'ya.

You're quite right, though. Those numbers don't really mean that much. I hope QL does become very successful though.
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

MaxDamage

MaxDamage

IRC Awards 2006: Friendliest | i r beefcaek. ph33r me!

• GA Private
  • 3,669 posts
  • xfire:maxdamagus
  • Interests:Rockin', art, gaming, listening to good music, etc...
  • Wii:will rock you
  • Gamer Army ID:108
F**king beautiful.

QUAKE LIVE

is LIVE.

I dare say the queueing system will be eased at some point, but since it's the first few days - no major worries.

It's playing great, great to see some of the maps dusted off and polished, the interface for the site is excellent too.

UUr16xn.png
I don't need tattoos to look hard. I AM hard.

UndecaredVariable

UndecaredVariable
  • Banned
  • 26 posts
Queue lineup will be gone either today, or tomorrow.

They're upgrading servers, so in a few days, there won't ever be a queue again.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
QUOTE (MaxDamage @ Feb 25 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the interface for the site is excellent too.

I'm hoping that they fixed it and you're right as during the beta the interface was terrible

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Which is funny because it's been possible to get Quake3 for free legit for years now, icon_razz.gif. Hopefully all this queue shits gone before I get un-capped.

Vicarious.

Vicarious.
  • Members
  • 285 posts
The queue is extremely frustrating, especially when the going gets slow. Once you get past it though, you'll see it's a very fun game to play.

A.Phobos

A.Phobos
  • GA Private
  • 1,735 posts
  • xfire:H17M4N23 _______ Quake Live: Hitman23
  • Interests:FPS, movies, Stand-up Comedy, And Stuff....
  • Steam ID:Hitman
  • Xbox / GFWL:wish i had one
  • PSN:suck mah ballz
  • Wii:1044724098965336
  • Gamer Army ID:3494
  • Company:Bravo
You know what grinds my gears, re-registering after open beta.
And the original quake 3 was already free, that game for now has better service.
although there are more people playing here, so I might as well stay.

EDIT: also Mods, how are they going to be made?

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
QUOTE (H17M4N @ Feb 26 2009, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: also Mods, how are they going to be made?

At the moment id has said there wont be support for mods any time soon.

A.Phobos

A.Phobos
  • GA Private
  • 1,735 posts
  • xfire:H17M4N23 _______ Quake Live: Hitman23
  • Interests:FPS, movies, Stand-up Comedy, And Stuff....
  • Steam ID:Hitman
  • Xbox / GFWL:wish i had one
  • PSN:suck mah ballz
  • Wii:1044724098965336
  • Gamer Army ID:3494
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Feb 25 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the moment id has said there wont be support for mods any time soon.

Damn, I hope they release it eventually, cuz this is unusual since Id supported mods a lot of times.
But I understand, it's a new programming language, supporting mods may appear difficult for javascript.

ATx 4 Life

ATx 4 Life
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • xfire:ATx
  • Xbox / GFWL:ATx I Pwnstar
i waited in the queue when it was at like 30,000 last night. dl'd the plugin. Now when i try and do the placement mission it just says checking downloaded data and doesnt do anything. There's just like a grey play now button and a stuck load bar. I just downloaded warsow and played that instead lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users