Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 2 - E3 Madness Supa-update #2!

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
  • xfire:AdeptEG
  • Gamer Army ID:2576
http://masseffect.bi...aser/index.html

So, Cerberus. That much wasn't a surprise. KIA though? Gwah.

I wonder when the full official announcement is going to be.

EDIT:

ALRIGHT

UPDATE TIEM BEETCHES

LOTS OF E3 GOODNESS!

This is all I could collect from the E3 previews around the web:

So apparently Shepard does live in ME2. Casey Hudson has stated that the trilogy will indeed focus on Shepard, so I doubt there will be a replacement.

What we know after E3: Keep your ME1 saves, you can import your Shepard, along with all the decisions you made in the first game. Major choices you made will continue on to affect the sequels (exactly which ones weren't specified anywhere). At least some major NPCs will return (unless you killed them/allowed them to be killed, in which case, they'll remain dead. Sorry, Kaidan.)

Players who didn't play ME1 will be able to start off a new Shepard in ME2 and will be brought up to speed with the story so far, probably based off a default point (since ME1 could have had different endings).

It wasn't specified whether all the living NPCs return, and if they don't then which ones do - but there's a quarian in the trailers and in some screenshots so I'd assume that's Tali (although they all do look alike.) Also, romances are said to carry on from ME1 and continue in ME2, and of course there will be new romantic interests to meet in ME2.

The story takes place 2 years after the events of ME1, and focuses on the mass disappearances of humans across the galaxy and Shepard's attempt to discover the source. Shepard accepts a mission from a certain "shadowy organization which is devoted to the survival of humans at any cost" (no, you didn't destroy Cerberus in ME1, if you were wondering. You only tickled them a bit,) and is now searching for the galaxy's top operatives to help out on what is deemed a "suicide mission". The story is said to be much darker than the previous game - while in the first part you saw the clean, utopian face of the galaxy, in the grittier second chapter you will get to travel to society's dangerous underbelly, where the stakes are higher, as you search for the galaxy's best and brightest to help you face an even greater threat than before.

Stop here if this is all you care to know. Verified spoilers to follow!

So apparently, Shepard is still alive - for now, at least. However, Casey Hudson has said that Shepard's death is also a major motif in the story. The mission is captioned a suicide mission for a reason and there is a strong possibility major characters will die - including Shepard.

Bioware apparently really wants Shepard's actual death to be a real possibility, and not just you running out of hit points in some random gunfight. Throughout the game there will be many sequences in which Shepard will be faced with a difficult situation that could indeed result with our main character dying. Bioware stated that the mission "doesn't need Shepard to survive in order to end". Take from that what you will.

I'm serious now, the following is spoilerific. I'm pretty sure it won't ruin the game for you, but don't say I didn't warn you.

An example for this was given behind closed doors at E3 so there are no videos, but from what I know it focused on the mysterious attack on the Normandy we can see in the trailers. The exact description varies slightly in the articles I've read, but what I know for certain is that The Normandy is destroyed by some unknown attacker. It is unclear whether this scene occurs in the opening of the game, but personally I doubt Bioware would reveal a major scene far down the storyline. Also, similar sequences will apparently be plentiful throughout the game: Shepard is faced in a tough spot where he might not make it through. While evacuating as many of the crew as possible, you can either save yourself, or help out a comrade, while going down with the ship.

This is were the details get a little mixed up - from what I gathered, Shepard's suit takes damage and begins to leak oxygen, while a crew member is in the threat of being sucked out of the ship. It's unclear whether you can help a brother out in this scene, but even Shepard might die too and get sucked into space. According to this article , the result depends on a 'skillful game' you play, and whether or not you have allies who will cover your back.

Different articles describe how Shepard can either choose to save himself in an escape pod or let as many of the crew out as possible while assuring them he (or she) will find another way to safety, before being blasted through the exploding end of the Normandy, and again out into space.

This article has the most detailed description of this scenario that I could find:

During the presentation, we were shown a sequence where the Normandy comes under heavy attack and faces imminent destruction. Although the ship is breaking apart, the crew is loath to abandon their posts, especially Joker, who thinks he can somehow hold everything together. During this sequence, the player will face a number of choices, including who gets shoved into an escape pod against their will. Shepard makes his way to the cockpit and steps has to step out into vacuum to get there, showing the full extent of the damage the Normandy has sustained. From there, he tries to reason with Joker but ultimately forces him out of his seat and into a pod. However, an explosion prevents the captain from getting in too. The final scenes end with Shepard floating helplessly out into deep space with a leaking oxygen tank. So, there you have it... all bets are off with Mass Effect 2. No character is safe, including Shepard himself. This is one of many different endings, but we're guessing that the majority of them would involve a similarly painful sacrifice. Players that manage to keep Shepard alive will be able to import him into Mass Effect 3, but no hints were given as to who might fill his shoes should he die.

More, taken from this article:

At this point BioWare’s Jason Hudson stressed that you and Commander Shepard can make it, through a complicated web of correct choices throughout the many hours of gameplay, but “…we do not expect you to survive.”

These "Shepard death" endings seem to be abundant in this game. I could come up with a few theories:

Shepard can actually die in any of them, and is replaced by a new character we create upon our protagonist's demise, or alternatively by a major NPC - highly unlikely, I think, but not completely impossible. Besides the assurances that Shepard is the focus of the trilogy, it would be a much greater complication story-wise to reasonably replace Shepard with a new guy, especially if it could happen at any point - and could just as well not happen at all.

Shepard doesn't actually die, but survives and rejoins with the team later on in the story - also unlikely, again would be a headache for the development team.

Shepard does die, and the game either ends or the player reloads a saved game and takes a different route that Shepard survives - most likely by far, I think. In other words, instead of a regular "game over" screen like in the previous game, this time Shepard's deaths will have a cinematic touch, but the essential result is the same. This could make Shepard's deaths an interesting thing to behold on their own. They could either work like death endings in a choose-your-own-adventure book, giving our wrong decisions a romantic presentation, or just be glorified game-over screens that only give the illusion of choice in largely linear scenarios - depending on the execution. We'll see. Either way, the desire to make Shepard survive while dying is an actual possibility will undoubtedly make the player feel that much closer to the character. Again, I think this is my most likely theory, but it's just my theory.

And, if he doesn't make it through to ME3? ME3 will probably start with the story continuing as if he had survived, only instead of you importing your final save (since you didn't actually finish ME2's story through to the very possible end,) you'll be making a new Shepard, and continue on from there. That's my guess.

Official end of official spoilers.

There are at least two new alien species in this game - the Vorcha, a highly aggressive and ruthless, but extremely adaptive new race, and the Drell. No info is available on the Drell just yet, but the behind-closed-doors E3 demo showed off a new Drell character, called Thane, who is the galaxy's top assassin. A high enough claim, it seems, to make Shepard seek him out to recruit him for the mission. (It's possible Thane is the green wide-eyed new alien we can see in the trailers.)

We can expect lots of combat improvements over ME1, with 9 new weapons types, including a heavy weapons type like the missile launcher and "nuke gun", and physics- and location-based combat damage, like blown off heads and limbs and the "concussive rounds" weapons upgrade that knocks enemies down on their backs. Aiming and accuracy were improved, as well as the cover system. Also, it's said that while in ME1 Shepard had only 20 cover animations, in ME2 we have over 200.

Some criticism over how in ME1, watching conversations take place got boring as the camera was mostly still, were addressed in ME2. Now the camera moves fluently through the dialogue to keep interest in the goings on. This is apparent in the gameplay vids, especially the one with Shepard being guided by an unnamed asari on the way to locate Thane.

An update to the dialogue system was shown too, the new Interrupt action. Sort of like a quick time event for conversations, a flashing icon will appear in appropriate times, and Shepard can surprisingly break up a conversation and use extreme means to bully the victim, like pushing him out of a window in mid-sentence.

Two new party members can be seen in the gameplay vids - a man and a woman. The woman is unnamed (unless it's actually a post-makeover Ashley) but the man is Jacob, the protagonist of the iPhone tie-in Mass Effect Galaxy, a 2-hour nonessential spinoff that also helps bridge the gap between the previous game and ME2.

ME2 is scheduled for release early 2010 and will come out for both PC and the 360.

That's all I could find for now. Personally I can't be more hyped up for this game than I already am.

EDIT 2; THIS JUST IN:

Take a look at this:

Non-spoilery details are as follows:

* mass effect 2Choices are being made to have a more meaningful impact upon the player, and there are strong possibilities that supporting characters within the party may die depending on the player's actions in progressing through the story.
* The vehicle controls have been completely revamped.
* A newly designed inventory interface.
* The elevator system has seen a complete rehaul, providing players with a sense of scope of where they are within the confines of the building and the direction in which you travel.
* There is no more noticeable texture "pop-in".
* Secondary races like the Volus and Elcor have been given new visuals and animations to make them seem more realistic and interesting. At present, they look immobile and featureless.
* Enemy combatants and monsters have seen a complete overhaul of their animations, abilities and AI to provide a better combat experience for the player.
* As expected, new weapons, alien races, enemy monsters and team members have been added to the game. Some old party members and locations make a return in the sequel.
* Among the new weapons are one that reduces your enemy to dust, and a highly destructive "nuke gun".
* Interior locations are many times larger, and feel much less claustrophobic.
* If you are particularly zealous in playing either a Paragon or Renegade character in Mass Effect 1 and 2, you will be treated to extra-special endings in Mass Effect 3.

You shouldn't read the rest of the article unless you've already completed the first game. Storyline spoilers are as follows:

* You will play as Shepard for a good portion of the game.
* There will be a Geth party member containing the persona of Ashley or Kaidan, depending on whichever one of them died in the first game.
* There are signs that the Geth are becoming more intelligent and showing traits of a non-machine sentient species.
* Thane, the Assassin, is a new character who can join your party. He belongs to a species of aliens called the Drell, newly introduced to the Mass Effect setting.
* An unnamed Salarian party member has been revealed as the "Clint Eastwood of scientists".
* The locations you'll be able to visit include a Krogan planet; Illium, an Asari planet; Omega Station, home to pirates and outlaws and situated within an asteroid field; and a Cerberus corporation outpost, all of which are locations that play great significance in the new game.
* The story of Mass Effect 2 continues where the original game left off, with the DLC in-between, but with a main focus on the Cerberus corporation and its enigmatic leader, rather than the fight against the Reapers, who yet remain a constant threat to sentient civilization. Human colonies are vanishing, and it's up to Shepard to investigate these disappearences in what the magazine terms a "suicide mission".
* The 'grand ending' of the Mass Effect Trilogy is expected to far exceed anything we'll come to see in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.

This is based not on E3 (notice the publication date), but on the OXM Magazine ME2 special, which is the latest issue I believe. I wish I could get my hands on it, but it's impossible for me atm. If anyone has it and wants to elaborate some, please do.

Anyway, they say new DLC is under development for ME1 to further help bridge the gap between ME1 and ME2. Also I remind you there's a fairly excellent sequel novel to ME1 that takes place before ME2, Mass Effect: Ascension, which was written by the games' lead writer. I highly recommend it.

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
  • Company:Alpha
I loved the first one, spite the many Glitches and the indefinite promise of no fixes icon_biggrin.gif This shit should be sweet!

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
OMG OMG KILLED IN ACTION OMG

Seriously though, dick move on BioWare's part. Now I'm excited for a game that isn't coming out until next year.

Hades.

Hades.
  • GA Private
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Holy fuck Ive been on these forums for a long time. They pretty much raised me tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Undisclosed
  • Wii:Don't want.
  • Gamer Army ID:4225
My friend just linked me this.. KIA? icon_sad.gif

79577008.png

Dirge

Dirge

Best Returning Member '09

• GA Private
  • 6,101 posts
  • Steam ID:Silent_Dirge
  • Gamer Army ID:3524
QUOTE (lil hades 87 @ Feb 20 2009, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend just linked me this.. KIA? icon_sad.gif

Its a plot Twist.

Seriously have you guys not thought of that yet?

Obviously he is being framed/Supposedly killed for something, and survived. Besides, what does it matter when YOU are Shepard?

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
Awesome, looking forward to this! I hope this one doesn't bug out and get me stuck in an elevator when I last saved an hour ago. -.-

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
  • xfire:AdeptEG
  • Gamer Army ID:2576
QUOTE (Silent_Dirge @ Feb 21 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a plot Twist.

Seriously have you guys not thought of that yet?

Obviously he is being framed/Supposedly killed for something, and survived. Besides, what does it matter when YOU are Shepard?

That much is obvious... The question is whether Shepard really is dead or not. You might be playing someone new entirely.

It might actually make more sense from Bioware's perspective, since it gives them a much broader window for introducing new characters and not have to account for an already high-level PC.

(I hope Khalee is in this one. icon_razz.gif)

Lt ledhead

Lt ledhead
  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • xfire:ledhead93
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lt ledhead
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Thank you so much for the find, though I cant believe this KIA thing. Its pissing me off, I loved sheppard.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
  • xfire:cky852k
  • Steam ID:cky852k
  • Xbox / GFWL:jojo852k
  • PSN:jojo852k
  • Gamer Army ID:153
cant wait! icon_smile.gif

for more of Garrus pointing out the obvious...

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
Don't talk mess about Garrus Vakarian, he'll fucking kill you dead.

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
im not he's awesome..

i always take him with me!

makes the trip that much more enjoyable

MasterEvz

MasterEvz
  • Members
  • 1,667 posts
  • xfire:MasterEvz
  • Interests:Gaming, Movies and Music.
  • Steam ID:MasterEvz
  • Xbox / GFWL:MasterEvz
  • PSN:Evz313
Maybe that was the ending of mass effect 2?

:0

Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth
  • GA Captain
  • 1,206 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3638
  • Company:Nu
That teaser was interesting. Is that Geth wearing Sheppard's armor, or am I seeing things? Or is that Geth Sheppard himself? Intriguing.

And yeah, Garrus pwned. I always had Garrus and Tali on my team in ME1.

kadajiroth_gasig15.png

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
Wearing Shepard's armour, definitely. Although what you mean by Geth Shepard, I'm not sure - are you asking if it's Shepard turned into a Geth? I'm not entirely sure if people can be turned into Geth - at most they can become Husks, I think.
Garrus and Wrex here. If Garrus isn't in ME2, I'm going to cry. I mean, if you first meet him at the medical facility on the Citadel, the very first thing you see him do is shoot someone in the face, and his general demeanour whilst doing so/afterwards suggests that he does this all the time

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,512 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
do want.

Why can I barely understand what you guys are saying? I played the game through and I cant remember a thing.

edit 2: Why am I hungering for a replay!? Why did you guys do this to me? I havent the time for this shit.

Hades.

Hades.
  • GA Private
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Holy fuck Ive been on these forums for a long time. They pretty much raised me tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Undisclosed
  • Wii:Don't want.
  • Gamer Army ID:4225
QUOTE (Master C @ Mar 16 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do want.

Why can I barely understand what you guys are saying? I played the game through and I cant remember a thing.

edit 2: Why am I hungering for a replay!? Why did you guys do this to me? I havent the time for this shit.

wut?

Because you didn't pay attention when you were playing it? .. You tried to get to the end of the game as quickly as possible.. You don't often play RPG's so you don't look for details.. You played it a long time ago?

Any of those suggestions work for you?

79577008.png

Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth
  • GA Captain
  • 1,206 posts
QUOTE (Xayun @ Mar 17 2009, 04:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wearing Shepard's armour, definitely. Although what you mean by Geth Shepard, I'm not sure - are you asking if it's Shepard turned into a Geth? I'm not entirely sure if people can be turned into Geth - at most they can become Husks, I think.

That's what I thought. Maybe the Geth have discovered a way to transform people, or maybe just insert their minds into Geth bodies, but it seems more likely that he's just wearing his stolen armor.

kadajiroth_gasig15.png

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
Its just a plot twist to make you start the game with nothing again

Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth
  • GA Captain
  • 1,206 posts
QUOTE (DarkKitchen @ Mar 18 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its just a plot twist to make you start the game with nothing again

Whatever it is, I'm intrigued. I also hope Garrus is back for this one, he was such a good squad member.

kadajiroth_gasig15.png

j-tak

j-tak
  • GA Private
  • 1,328 posts
Garrus is my homeboy

when i got the "red stripey" armour.. cant remember which.. he looks like a frigging dinosaur lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users