Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[tv] Dollhouse

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction. Pure Pwnage. Comedy.
I've been following Dollhouse and so far all I can say is 'meh.' It's entertainment, but it's no master piece, heck it's not even a firefly. It's still fun to watch, last weeks episode was great, so i'll stick around for now unless it gets really boring or turns into 'episode of the week' stuff.

HikariKage

HikariKage
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,546 posts
  • xfire:HikariKage
  • Wii:2426085976289137
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:364
QUOTE (LalaLand @ Mar 11 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been following Dollhouse and so far all I can say is 'meh.' It's entertainment, but it's no master piece, heck it's not even a firefly. It's still fun to watch, last weeks episode was great, so i'll stick around for now unless it gets really boring or turns into 'episode of the week' stuff.

Why does everything have to be a "Master Piece" for you people, really annoying to hear constantly.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (HikariKage @ Mar 11 2009, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does everything have to be a "Master Piece" for you people, really annoying to hear constantly.

Also, Fuck Firefly. Most over hyped series ever...

First, you need to relax.

Second, I said Dollhouse wasn't a master piece. I did not say it "had to be one." It entertains me the way it is. However, it doesn't captivate in the same way a show like say Babylon 5 did. That's what the expression "it's no master piece" means. It's not a demand of perfection, it's just a statement of lesser content than the content one feels for something else. Thus is the nature of having an opinion on just about anything.

HikariKage

HikariKage
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,546 posts
Don't say stupid shit like "it's not even a firefly" and I will relax.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (HikariKage @ Mar 11 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, Fuck Firefly. Most over hyped series ever...

Because some people don't have a lot of time to watch shows, and when they start one they want to make sure what they are watching is worth the time.

If you have lots of time to kill Dollhouse isn't bad, but otherwise so far Dollhouse has shown me no great reasons why people should stick around or start.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (HikariKage @ Mar 11 2009, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't say stupid shit like "it's not even a firefly" and I will relax.

As far as i'm concerned it's just not as good as Firefly - and the only reason I'm comparing it to Firefly is because it's another work of Joss's that I enjoyed. Firefly isn't the best out there either in my opinion, but it's higher up on my list than Dollhouse thus far, meaning I feel that Joss is capable of better, hence my initial statement.

That's just my opinion, if it bothers you that much then I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

If you have lots of time to kill Dollhouse isn't bad, but otherwise so far Dollhouse has shown me no great reasons why people should stick around or start.

I agree. I think Dollhouse can be a lot of fun to watch, but it doesn't have the certain 'flare' or depth to it that warrants huge applause. It's good, but not great - in short.

HikariKage

HikariKage
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,546 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 11 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because some people don't have a lot of time to watch shows, and when they start one they want to make sure what they are watching is worth the time.

If someone can't sacrifice an extra hour a week to watch this show, I'm going to have to wonder what the fuck they are doing with themselves.

QUOTE (LalaLand @ Mar 11 2009, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as i'm concerned it's just not as good as Firefly - and the only reason I'm comparing it to Firefly is because it's another work of Joss's that I enjoyed. Firefly isn't the best out there either in my opinion, but it's higher up on my list than Dollhouse thus far, meaning I feel that Joss is capable of better, hence my initial statement.

That's just my opinion, if it bothers you that much then I don't know what to tell you, sorry.

You know what annoys me, when people expect the greatest thing ever from a series that JUST started. Its been out for a few episodes and people expect a deep and complex storyline from the starting, and I'd just like to say. That's not going to happen, ever.

I'd also like to point out that Dollhouse and Firefly are two completely different genres of television, and I don't think there is any merit for comparing besides "whats your favorite Joss show?" (and most people would say Buffy anyway, so it doesn't matter much).

I don't have a problem with opinion, I just hate when people expect so much in such a short time, and almost completely dismiss a series because it doesn't meet up to unrealistic expectations, which causes it to have shit ratings. Then a series gets canceled (*cough*firefly*cough*). Its happened far to many times to a lot of shows I've liked, its frustrating.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (HikariKage @ Mar 11 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If someone can't sacrifice an extra hour a week to watch this show, I'm going to have to wonder what the fuck they are doing with themselves.

Some people literally don't. Or they do but they don't want to waste their time on something that isn't worth watching. Remember, there are people who mostly turn on the tv when they are bored and the people who don't watch TV much. The second type of people like there shows to be GOOD. Some people only watch 1-2 shows on TV a week.

QUOTE (HikariKage @ Mar 11 2009, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what annoys me, when people expect the greatest thing ever from a series that JUST started. Its been out for a few episodes and people expect a deep and complex storyline from the starting, and I'd just like to say. That's not going to happen, ever.

I'd also like to point out that Dollhouse and Firefly are two completely different genres of television, and I don't think there is any merit for comparing besides "whats your favorite Joss show?" (and most people would say Buffy anyway, so it doesn't matter much).

I don't have a problem with opinion, I just hate when people expect so much in such a short time, and almost completely dismiss a series because it doesn't meet up to unrealistic expectations, which causes it to have shit ratings. Then a series gets canceled (*cough*firefly*cough*). Its happened far to many times to a lot of shows I've liked, its frustrating.

People have every right to expect big things at the beginning. Thinking that your not going to get anything good at the start of a show is absolute bullshit, I don't know what shows you are watching but several of my favorite shows start out with some of my favorite episodes of the series. (ex. Dexter / Battlestar Galactica )

People may "overhype" a show but if it can't handle all the hype it shouldn't stick around anyways. Expect the very best out of a show.

It's fine to watch shows that aren't the greatest (especially if your bored), but getting mad at other people -- who are watching TV for quality -- for criticizing the shows weaknesses just shows that you have no clue what you're talking about.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
QUOTE (HikariKage @ Mar 12 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this. Babylon 5 for instance was pretty bland in first season, but is just the best show ever imo icon_smile.gif

Give the show time, Joss will take the show into awesometown very quickly.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Mar 12 2009, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this. Babylon 5 for instance was pretty bland in first season, but is just the best show ever imo icon_smile.gif

Give the show time, Joss will take the show into awesometown very quickly.

Many people call B5's first season bland, but it really wasn't. It was a lot of fun and set up the crucial components of the story arcs, which you had no idea where they were going to lead and made it all the more fun to speculate. The show just didn't start with a climax, is all.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
Oh it was a fantastic season thats for sure! Great writing and a hell of a lot of storys were seeded for the rest of the show, but I found Sinclairs acting to be pretty sub-par, and the seasons after season1 really got rolling.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Mar 12 2009, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh it was a fantastic season thats for sure! Great writing and a hell of a lot of storys were seeded for the rest of the show, but I found Sinclairs acting to be pretty sub-par, and the seasons after season1 really got rolling.

Hm, to each his own I guess! I've never seen anything wrong with it, but hey this is all beside the point, I get where you're coming from.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
Review

*spoilers ahead*

Since the beginning Dollhouse has revolved around the same routine episodes Ė the client has a problem, Dewitt sends echo for the job, something goes wrong in-between and in the end echo comes out ok. Acceptable terms for a show and itís been working so far, but Iím starting to think it wouldnít hurt to change it up a bit.

I also donít think itís too much to ask for better progression from Dollhouse. In this weekís episode we still arenít hitting the target. Echo is sent blind into a religious cult to gather intelligence for the ATF. The suspicion is on the leader of the group Jonas. The story was quite good this time around, but still had some problems that I just canít let go. Starting with Paul Ballard.

Iíll admit that I enjoy the relationship between him and Malle. Sheís a sweet neighbor and he just doesnít give her any attention. The problem with Ballard is his investigations on the whole. I know Iíve been nitpicking his storyline for almost every review Iíve written on this show, but itís all true. Even in this episode he actually sees Echo on TV and follows up the lead but in the end still doesnít get anything solid. Canít the writers just give him and break and give him a solid lead already? I think soon weíll see him find Echo, but that shouldíve happened 2-3 episodes ago! Heís close, Iíll give him that, but we really need to see him get deeper in this before I really care about his screen time.

It's a man reaction!

Now while I think the whole religious cult stuff is quite interesting, the events that took place once echo got into the camp seemed quite anti-climactic, especially at the end. At first it was really interesting watching Echo get past every test. But once things progressed and echo got her vision back (which was a cool scene), everything fell a little short. When Echo beat down Jonas in the fiery church it was too quick. The curveball when echo gets stuck down by Laurence is anything but surprising. We know this guy hates echo, itís been made quite clear. What kills the suspense is when Boyd comes seconds later and rescues echo. They couldíve been more creative with the whole ordeal. Still Iím glad that Echo now has a real threat to her safety on her own turf. Thereís lots of interesting things in Dollhouse that are starting to build up that will quickly enhance this show, but were just not hitting it yet.

What to me, was the BEST part in the episode was Topher. Watching him trying to explain Victorís problem to Dr. Saunders was great. I had a nice smirk on my face and laughed out loud a couple of times. Heís really starting to grow on me (finally a character I can count on!)

Things are growing on Dollhouse, but not everything Iíve wanted. Echo is still very vegetable like and not becoming self aware fast enough and Paul still isnít getting anywhere (but his scenes with Malle are fun to watch). Some good things are Laurence starting to take incentive on shutting down Echo for good, for reasons I believe are quite valid. If Alpha went down this same path, why wouldnít Dewitt be taking it into account more harshly? It should be interesting to see how this plays out, my thoughts are that right before Laurence gets her echo will already be quite self aware and be able to defend herself. I can also look forward to more scenes with Topher as he is defiantly getting more likeable as this show rolls on. I think Dollhouse is now headed in the right direction and even though this episode isnít advancing many characters its building a few plot lines up for what Iím hoping will be Dollhouseís saving grace.

Dollhouse Season 1, Episode 5 - "True Believer"
7.0/10 - Enjoyable
( ? ) Click here for ratings guide

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • xfire:unseendevil
I wonder what the point of your reviews is when you give away spoilers, I presumed it was to make people want to watch this show but now I'm beginning to think you just want to express your opinion (nothing wrong with that, just something on my part).

I'm also beginning to think: Ballard = Alpha? Wasn't there a scene, I don't remember which episode, I think it was episode 2 (I'll confirm this once I redownloaded the file) where the guy was covered in blood and was like "remember" while that college video of Echo was playing? .

The whole episode was "meh", especially the Echo's inprint's character twists (I pointed those out earlier), that just come out of nowhere.

Loved to plot twist though.

There must be some kind of way out of here...

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
Hey Fury, did you catch next weeks preview?

Joss made an agreement with Fox that he'd do 5 "episode of the week" episodes BEFORE revealing any major arcs: ie before Echo starts to remember. So that's why it's been moving slowly. Fox's Dollhouse is now over, and Joss's begins next week now that he's in control.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (ArmoredSandwich @ Mar 14 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what the point of your reviews is when you give away spoilers, I presumed it was to make people want to watch this show but now I'm beginning to think you just want to express your opinion (nothing wrong with that, just something on my part).

obviously I want to express my opinion, thats the whole point of my review.

QUOTE (LalaLand @ Mar 14 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Fury, did you catch next weeks preview?

Joss made an agreement with Fox that he'd do 5 "episode of the week" episodes BEFORE revealing any major arcs: ie before Echo starts to remember. So that's why it's been moving slowly. Fox's Dollhouse is now over, and Joss's begins next week now that he's in control.

Intresting, maybe Dollhouse will take it to the next level now.

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 15 2009, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
obviously I want to express my opinion, thats the whole point of my review.

I believe regular reviews are to review a product so the audience can make up their mind if they want to experience the product or not.

Anyhow; http://screenrant.co...d-brusimm-6183/

About Fox tempering with air dates of episodes (OMG Firefly all over again :/ ) and perhaps some other interesting stuff, either way; a short interesting read.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (ArmoredSandwich @ Mar 17 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe regular reviews are to review a product so the audience can make up their mind if they want to experience the product or not.

Yes this is done through the reviewers opinion on the product...

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Mar 18 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes this is done through the reviewers opinion on the product...

Look, I'm not attacking you or anything :/

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
Review
*spoilers*

I have to admit, I was quite excited for this weekís episode of Dollhouse. Iím sure most of you have heard, but for those who havenít, episode 6 was intended to be the ďnext stepĒ in the shows storytelling. They were right, as this episode now brings up several new plot lines that raise lots of questions and interest. It couldíve have come soon enough to tell you the truth.

To my amazement Paul Ballard finally got some good screen time and found clues he was searching for! After all the failed attempts searching for the Dollhouse all the pieces are finally coming together for him. He tracks down one of his suspects who has been known to order actives from the dollhouse on a regular basis. After raiding the house and laying waste to all the security (quite awesomely) in the room he finds echo. It was quite funny watching Echoís imprint Rebecca freak out and think her husband is into the porn business. Unfortunately Ballard doesnít get closure with his suspect as the police are called shortly after. He is forced to leave or otherwise face breaking and entering charges but at least heís a step forward in the right direction now.

What I enjoyed was getting to see Ballard and Mallie together at last. They work well together as a couple. It wasnít unexpected in anyway, but frankly it was something that Iím sure a lot of us were waiting to happen.

Dewitt, now understanding the full threat of Ballard gets Echo to go back and deal with him. This leads to one of the best fights Iíve seen on TV. They were tossing frying pants, throwing hard punches, smashing threw windows and flipping over cars. It was really awesome to watch. Then the unexpected happens, Echo wins the fight but doesnít kill Ballard, no, she delivers a message from an anonymous sender. Without spoiling anything I will say that it leads to questions worth watching the show to find out.

You don't want to piss me off!

Sierra and Victor also had an interesting story. Without giving too much away I can say that there is some messed up things going on with how they treat the dolls. Itís a story about things that you wouldnít really think of, or happen with the dolls (in that state). It was a very interesting and well played out part of the episode. We see Boyd deal with this problem quite effectivly but after all is resolved we get to see Dewitt player her part as the head in the problem nicely. Iíd like to see more stuff like this in future episodes.

All in all, this episode of Dollhouse manages to raise a lot of interest. Joss himself told the press that this is just the beginning of things to come. If more episodes can follow a solid plot line like this then people will get more invested in this show. The older episodes lacked direction, it was in and it was out. Now with this episode things are explained and seen in a different light. Itís about time; we need things to speed up if Dollhouse plans on grabbing more viewers (let alone keeping the ones they already have).

Dollhouse Season 1, Episode 6 - "Man on the Street"
8.5/10 - Great
( ? ) Click here for ratings guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users