Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[tv] Dollhouse

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

The Flaming Homo of the year '09

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
  • xfire:rawgenesis
  • Interests:the ladies ;D
  • Steam ID:raw_genesis
  • Xbox / GFWL:ex bawks
  • PSN:pee ess tripple
  • Wii:Weeeeeeee!!!
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Finnaly got around to starting to watch this... I've only seen the 1st ep so far... Looks like it could have some potential but not that great so far... I'll start downloading some more tonight

QUOTE (Shaun. @ Apr 28 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAA+++++++++++++++ GREAT SERVICE AND GOOD PACKAGE. WOULD BANG AGAIN

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Feb 25 2009, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finnaly got around to starting to watch this... I've only seen the 1st ep so far... Looks like it could have some potential but not that great so far... I'll start downloading some more tonight

First ep was only decent, you should be quite happy with the second episode though.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
TiVo'd both. The timeslot sucks, I didn't think the show was that special tbh.
And like that, he was gone.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (The Colonel @ Feb 26 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TiVo'd both. The timeslot sucks, I didn't think the show was that special tbh.

The timeslot will be the death of both Terminator and Dollhouse tbh.

It's a shame, but Terminator hasn't been as good as it used to be, so seeing that show die won't pain me as much..

On the other side, Dollhouse has massive potential and I want that show to at least get 2 seasons worth to prove itself.

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Feb 27 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a shame, but Terminator hasn't been as good as it used to be, so seeing that show die won't pain me as much..

Summer Glau says GTFO!

Also.. Finnished dl'ing ep 2 overnight so I'll watch it tonight... sounds good

[EDIT]
I forgot to say before... I thought this show would be pretty hot with Eliza Dushku but now that I see Tahmoh Penikett is in it too... its really hot

So I just watched ep2 and WTF Mark Sheppard is in it too...

Did they just go and steal half the cast of BSG or something

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
i love this show.

been a whedon fan since firefly/serenity and i'd been anticipating a new show for quite some time. the first episodes in shows are all setup and story line, so from the first episode of this season i was excited to see it had so much room to move and an infinite story line potential (they can program her to be anything). the second episode was proof of this theory.

the intriguing part here is the characters are setting up the later roles in the show quite well. by that i mean you can sorta tell what they are going to wind up being. i hope the douchebag security director is echo's first kill when she flips out. i can see that coming a mile away.

shoulder to the wheel.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
Review:
*Minor Spoilers Ahead*

In this week’s episode of Dollhouse we see a more challenging approach to a specific situation and yet I’m still not quite sure of the overall enjoyment that this episode presented me with.

The episodes starts off with a bang when the talented Rayna Russell loses a backup singer in a mysterious accident that caused the backup singer to be badly burned. Echo is sent to replace her and is imprinted with a singing/bodyguard personality. They are under the suspicion that someone is out to get Rayna.

Lubov tries to break into Ballard’s apartment but his neighbor catches him in action. This is where Ballard and Lubov meet up, and the continuation of him telling Ballard he knows nothing [about the dollhouse] continues. We are three episodes in now and I’m wondering when they are going to progress this part of the story, is Ballard ever going to get a good tip? This part of the story needs a jumpstart to keep people interested. Lubov sends Ballard right into the hands of his “mafia” gang and Ballard is badly injured yet still takes down 4 people, yet once he has one of the men pinned he only asks about the dollhouse once before knocking him out. Doesn’t seem like something he’d do, I thought he’d at least try at a bit harder.

Tee Hee!

Meanwhile echo continues her stage performances with Rayna until we get hinted at the bad guy in this episode. The fact that the biggest threat to Rayna was one of her biggest fans was a nice and believable threat. We see Echo change throughout this situation too, as Rayna ends up being a huge bitch to her and shutting her out. While the verbal fights between Rayna and Echo are extremely cheesy, it makes up for it when Echo starts smacking her around. Echo’s task was to protect Rayna but we see her defying orders as she starts making her own decisions in the matter.

The Dollhouse sends Sierra into the mix the keep an extra eye on Echo while she was protecting Rayna. The not so shocking revelation was the Dollhouse’s intention to let Sierra get captured by Rayna’s lunatic fan. Since Echo is really developing into her own self, she knows what she has to do. In the end Echo turns up performing all the right tasks in order to defuse the situation. It was quite entertaining to see her take care of two different threats at once. The problem was that she defied straight orders and took the mess into her own hands which is quite unheard of when it comes to a doll that is only imprinted with certain memories.

It’s no surprise though, that some of the watchers of the doll’s are getting pissed at Echo’s actions. They are going to try and shut her down, and it will be nice to see how they avoid this problem. Either way I’m still quite amused by this episode as a whole. While the story was pretty good, some of the background stuff like Ballards investigation seemed like it could use a jumpstart. Even though most of this episode was pretty good, I don’t think it’s the kind of episode that would keep people coming back.

Dollhouse Season 1, Episode 3 - "Stage Fright"
7.8/10 - Enjoyable
( ? ) Click here for ratings guide

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,512 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
This show has been nothing but slated plasmic...

ST1DinOH

ST1DinOH

Master Debater 08

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • Interests:fireworks, weed,
anyone watching the show can see that the first episodes analogy of the blackboard is happening. she's retaining information. this weeks clues were very in your face so if you saw the episode you could not have missed them. question is where does the show take this concept?

my guess is echo is flipping out and escaping from the dollhouse in less than 4 episodes to fight against them.

and WTF is that cops problem? he should be drilling that neighbor chick who made him the lasagna. what a pusscake.

EDIT:

plasmic...how did you miss the huge plot twist about Lubov? he's a doll

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (ST1DinOH @ Feb 28 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT:

plasmic...how did you miss the huge plot twist about Lubov? he's a doll

I know that, but Im talking about Ballards Investigation as a whole. He's still at square one.

He got beat up and as far as HE knows, he's still at a dead end.

I want him to get more solid evidence of the dollhouse or actually FIND it, or at least find Echo.

Nothing is really happening with him, he's investigating, and he's got a few clues, but he's still no where big. It's been 3 episodes, you'd think something bigger would have happened by now.. or at least thats what i'm thinking. Need better progression.

QUOTE (Master C @ Feb 28 2009, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This show has been nothing but slated plasmic...

I'm not exactly praising it now am I?

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • xfire:unseendevil
I just saw the first 2 episodes and I thank thou for bringing this show to my attention Fury!

I agree with you right from the how freaking hot Eliza is to your opinion on the two first episodes.

The first episode gave me the impression that it was just introducing this enormous set of characters and corporations. Normally I'd say that I like my pilots mind blowing, but this one kind of looked like it was preparing my mind to be blown, if you understand what I'm saying cool.gif

The second episode was a lot better, kind of an unusual plot twist that I didn't experience as a natural decision but rather as something that had to be done. I do not know why but I still was kind of unsatisfied with how it all turned out (and with that I do not only mean the conclusion, but rather the whole unfolding). I also thought the sudden twist of Echo's inprint was kind of weird from being hunted to this bastard punching chick with four brothers (and none of them were democrats! XD ) .

This show probably won't be below average, but I'll have to wait and see if it turns ends up being extremely awesome (which it will if it continues like this and not fall back to the first episode's level). Besides that I'll alway enjoy watching Eliza XD !

There must be some kind of way out of here...

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
Just saw episode 3, it was a pretty solid episode but it did not advance the main plot of the series that much.

userpjx

userpjx

MotM June '07 | teh_watcherer

• GA Corporal
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:I develop games at home.
  • Steam ID:petejohnwilson
  • PSN:userpjx
  • Gamer Army ID:122

This is essentially my opinion on the show. I didn't really like it, but feel compelled to continue watching it out of some strange loyalty to Joss. I haven't watched episode 2 yet, and feel guilty that I haven't. Then again the whole first season of Buffy is essentially shitty.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (userpjx @ Mar 1 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is essentially my opinion on the show. I didn't really like it, but feel compelled to continue watching it out of some strange loyalty to Joss. I haven't watched episode 2 yet, and feel guilty that I haven't. Then again the whole first season of Buffy is essentially shitty.

Im quite the same, except im a Dushku fanboi not Joss..

And I've come to realize the first few episodes of a season (in terms of Dushku shows) usually suck mass balls. Dollhouse isnt bad at all, but it needs to be better, and I have a feeling it will get really good soon.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
Review
*Spoilers Ahead*

Here we are at the fourth episode of Dollhouse and I wonder… “when am I going to start seeing some major changes with Echo?” In this week’s episode Echo is hired to steal a special piece of art with a team of specially trained thief’s. Her imprint in this episode may be the worst I’ve seen yet in terms of her personality. It’s not that her character wasn’t believable; it was that she was bad at making me believe it. The peculiar quick liners didn’t really help her case that much either, thankfully the show progresses echo’s fate quickly.

When the team reaches the safe it’s not overly surprising seeing the professor turn on the team and run off with the artifact consequently trapping Echo and the others in the safe. But the plot from here gets better as something I couldn’t predict happened to echo, which admittedly was quite a welcome surprise. You see, Echo gets remotely wiped from a simple phone call with Boyd. This puts her into a blank state right in the middle of a sticky situation. What trails on after this event isn’t the greatest though. What we see is echo try and overcome her vegetable state and understand her surroundings. At first it was amusing, but I believe too much time was spent examining her thoughts.

Whatevs

The nice part about this was seeing Topher freak out. Here we start to see a little bit of magic with him as he struggles to understand how the wipe could have possibility happened. We learn that he has protocols to follow, which he breaks in this episode. I’m thinking maybe in the future when more problems arise we’ll see Topher making a habit of it as he tries to control situations by himself. He also gets to the bottom of things as we find Echo’s wiping isn’t a coincidence – He learns the truth about the rogue active they sent out months ago which was proclaimed dead.

Extracting echo from the crisis ends up being very lackluster and quite unbelievable. I find It hard to believe that a place which holds so much valuable art wouldn’t be covered by tons of cops in the area once the alarm was tripped. Yet, echo seems to get by all the cops carrying her injured teammate through a simple smoke grenade. Lame. Even if they did make it past the first room more cops would be in the halls making it virtually impossible to make it outside. A little bit of creativity would have vastly helped the ending.

Agent Ballard is another story, a little bit of progression in his quest to find the dollhouse appears as he finds Lubov in his apartment asking for protection. At this point in the series though, I’m still trying to wonder why I even care about Ballard. What pivotal things has he done with the story as a whole? We see Adelle talk to someone on the phone about his exposure and how she wants the situation taken care of earlier rather than later, but what does he really know? In the end it turns out he gets all the police forces in the area to prevent Lubov from leaving.

So here we are another episode down and I’m still trying to find a character I can attach to. Echo is always someone new every week, learning little about her past in each episode. Like we see at the end of this episode only subtle hints of her picking stuff up, and it’s all stuff we’ve seen earlier, it’s time to expand on this! We need her to become self aware faster so the audience can connect with her. What is nice is the clear understanding of the villain. This rogue active seems like a doosy, and will most likely only cause more problems in the future. Still, at this rate the show will lose all of its audience before it has the chance to fix the hole they’ve dug themselves in.

Dollhouse Season 1, Episode 4 - "Grey Hour"
6.9/10 - Passable
( ? ) Click here for ratings guide

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
I like Echo a lot more in her tabulo rosa (sp?) and I thought the whole "examining her thoughts" was one of the better parts of the episode.

Topher is another character I really like (just as Boyd but that guy doesn't learn that much and thus is less interesting).

I just hope the overall plot of the show gets a little bit deeper, they were on the right track in episode 2....

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (ArmoredSandwich @ Mar 7 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Echo a lot more in her tabulo rosa (sp?) and I thought the whole "examining her thoughts" was one of the better parts of the episode.

It was good, but then they focused on it too long.

raw_genesis

raw_genesis

• Members
  • 3,655 posts
Well I watched another ep and its still OK, not blowing my mind or nothing like that but its an enjoyable watch...

on another note... I'm still not sure if I think that Sierra chick is hot or not... she just looks so fucking weired and lanky in the show... but when I go look up pics online she looks pretty fucking hot...

well she is half Aussie so she automaticaly qualifies as half sexy I guess pp_smiley2.gif

ArmoredSandwich

ArmoredSandwich
  • Members
  • 3,051 posts
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Mar 10 2009, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
on another note... I'm still not sure if I think that Sierra chick is hot or not... she just looks so fucking weired and lanky in the show... but when I go look up pics online she looks pretty fucking hot...

I thought she was freakin hot in the second episode, and always in the tabula rosa state at the Dollhouse's building.

QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Mar 10 2009, 05:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well she is half Aussie so she automaticaly qualifies as half sexy I guess pp_smiley2.gif

Lol, nice.

LalaLand

LalaLand
  • Members
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction. Pure Pwnage. Comedy.
I've been following Dollhouse and so far all I can say is 'meh.' It's entertainment, but it's no master piece, heck it's not even a firefly. It's still fun to watch, last weeks episode was great, so i'll stick around for now unless it gets really boring or turns into 'episode of the week' stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users