Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Aspartame (Artificial Sweetener)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Danoli3

Danoli3

MotM Sept 2006 | teh_artchiverer | PP Lifetime Achievement Award

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
  • xfire:Danoli3
  • Interests:Natalie, Pure Pwnage, Games, Programming, Animation, Music, Movies
  • Steam ID:Danoli3
  • Xbox / GFWL:Danolium
  • Wii:1622774217920323
  • Gamer Army ID:9
  • Company:Pi
I'm talking about the sweetener that you see in everything at this time from Coke Zero, Pepsi Max, to Wrigley's Chewing gum.

The Debate is weather this chemical is safe for human consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

http://en.wikipedia....ame_controversy

Here is a video about the subject:
http://video.google....;q=Sweet Misery

Some Products that contain Aspartame (This is not a complete list):
http://www.aspartame.ca/page_a2a.html

What Drinks contain Aspartame:
Most Diet drinks, or Sugarless Drinks.

Look for yourself:
Look for Sweetner (951, 950) on products. This means it contains aspartame.
Also look for "This product contains: Phenylalanine".

Some more information on Aspartame:
http://aspartame.worldwidewarning.net/

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Right, responding to the intro of the video you linked.. I'd say this issue is part of something much larger, and a lot more complex. Essentially, aspartame stands trial for the way modern scientific studies are done, the modern food industry works and the direction pubic health is taking.

Large quantities of aspartme does cause cancer.. but basically anything in large quantities can have poisonous or dangerous effects. Even water, try drinking 10L of that in a row.
The degradation of public health, visible by the increase of cancer and other diseases such as diabetes are obviously caused by the way we live and eat these days. So that's quite a broad issue, and in order for a disease like cancer or diabetes to occur in a otherwise healthy person you need a combination of factors. Something that tips the balance so to speak, where the body isn't really capable enough of dealing with all the abuse it has to take. The restorative abilities of our own immune system are far more spectatular then you'd think, so it takes a lot to affect your system to the point where it can no longer handle a tumor on it's own, or start it to be become insuline resistant.
Aspartame is just one of many factors in this, genetically engineered food, pollution, stress and lack of excercise all attribute and stack so to speak, as insignificant they may seem on their own.

The way studies for malignant effects of abovementioned factors are done don't fit into the method I just explained of stacking effects, simply because it's really, really hard to do because of a lack of controls and the huge expenses it would bring. Basically, all the check for is 'does substance A cause effect B?' you can see this is in the Aspartame controversy article on wikipedia, all studies are very specific, but don't take into account that the actual way it works is far more complex then you learn in university or at med school...

That said, prevention is key, and once diseases like diabetes, cancer and obesity will simply grow out of control things will have to change. People will have to realise they themselves are responsible for their health. And that what they eat, do and think is a much, MUCH bigger role in this. It's all about balance basically, eating organic food or drinking diet coke most likely won't have any immediate effects, but it does play a role.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Bl!ndf!re

Bl!ndf!re
  • Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • xfire:tehlickerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
I'm pretty sure its safe but i don't really know

we had a discussion about this in my science class and my teacher said that the rats used in experiments were given an unholy amount of the stuff and any sort of overload like that by any sort of substance will cause problems

but what do teachers know anyways? they told me i could be whatever i wanted

QUOTE (Husky @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A couple of Mutas softened up to the red, a couple of other Mutas softened up to the black, cause they're dead.

QUOTE (slartibartfast of earth @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ps my disablity in my hands makes my typing crap sry

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Mar 31 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hit it tbh. Especially if it's dead.

Danoli3

Danoli3

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jan 30 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right, responding to the intro of the video you linked.. I'd say this issue is part of something much larger, and a lot more complex. Essentially, aspartame stands trial for the way modern scientific studies are done, the modern food industry works and the direction pubic health is taking.

Large quantities of aspartme does cause cancer.. but basically anything in large quantities can have poisonous or dangerous effects. Even water, try drinking 10L of that in a row.
The degradation of public health, visible by the increase of cancer and other diseases such as diabetes are obviously caused by the way we live and eat these days. So that's quite a broad issue, and in order for a disease like cancer or diabetes to occur in a otherwise healthy person you need a combination of factors. Something that tips the balance so to speak, where the body isn't really capable enough of dealing with all the abuse it has to take. The restorative abilities of our own immune system are far more spectatular then you'd think, so it takes a lot to affect your system to the point where it can no longer handle a tumor on it's own, or start it to be become insuline resistant.
Aspartame is just one of many factors in this, genetically engineered food, pollution, stress and lack of excercise all attribute and stack so to speak, as insignificant they may seem on their own.

The way studies for malignant effects of abovementioned factors are done don't fit into the method I just explained of stacking effects, simply because it's really, really hard to do because of a lack of controls and the huge expenses it would bring. Basically, all the check for is 'does substance A cause effect B?' you can see this is in the Aspartame controversy article on wikipedia, all studies are very specific, but don't take into account that the actual way it works is far more complex then you learn in university or at med school...

That said, prevention is key, and once diseases like diabetes, cancer and obesity will simply grow out of control things will have to change. People will have to realise they themselves are responsible for their health. And that what they eat, do and think is a much, MUCH bigger role in this. It's all about balance basically, eating organic food or drinking diet coke most likely won't have any immediate effects, but it does play a role.

Really good post Weiman icon_wink.gif

I agree that large quantities of anything is not going to be good for you.

But reading up on aspartame just small doses of the chemical has instant effects on you.

Since 2 parts of the chemical are pure toxins Aspartic acid and Methanol its just obvious this is poison.

Aspartame's Aspartic acid is also a Brain Excitotoxin, just small amounts excite brain cells from almost intravenously from exposure to your tongue and from 'exciting' your brain cells destroy the cells excited.

A Lead Scientist in the 70's discovered Aspartame had the same effects (basically causing white space) in the brains of rats tested on as with Mercury Exposure and MSG.
(Yet MSG and Mercury are banned for consumption by the FDA)

The first 3 scientists who studied Aspartame, 2 of them said its poison and shouldn't be used in any quantity on Humans as a sweetener.
So The FDA assigned another Scientist to the team and made it 2 Against and 2 For. So it was passed by the FDA and became the Sugar Replacement it is today.

The Only reason it was accepted in other countries was because they saw it was FDA approved and then failed to test it themselves and made it legal to use.

Donald Rumsfeld (Some Humanitarian) was the CEO of Wrigley's when he directed the use of Aspartame in all Wrigley's Gums.

Direct Studies shown on Apes shown it is not safe to consume in the slightest.
In this study 5 Apes where fed small amounts of Aspartame with Milk, All 5 had adverse effects, 4 Had serious Seizes and Vomiting. 1 Died from it.
This is from 1 intake of the Chemical.

Humans share a lot of Characteristics with Apes and we may be a bit more resistant to Chemicals but this obviously shows how dangerous this Chemical is.

I'm glad Coke are now introducing a replacement (as they are aware of the dangers of Aspartame, yet continue to market Products with the Chemical.) After 2009 They will no longer use Aspartame.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
Ya, I heard about that and I don't drink diet anything anymore. It just doesn't seem like it should even be legal. The same with Trans Fats and MSG (Mono Sodium Glutamate), all it is is tasty poison.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

ArKonIte

ArKonIte
  • GA Corporal
  • 4,622 posts
  • xfire:arkonite
  • Interests:Guitars, Gaming, Music
  • PSN:ArKonIte167
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:167
  • Company:Alpha
Tastes like shit anyways.

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
been hearing about this debate. If its really all that bad for you, people can just learn to eat better and avoid this stuff. I'm not sure how huge it is though, and how much it is used in the entire food industry, so banning it i guess is another good possibility.
Come at me bro

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
my fiance is allergic to aspartame, and you don't realize how much stuff has aspartame in it until you know someone who is allergic(and the number keeps increasing as people are getting more calorie conscious, you can't find gum in Canada anymore that doesn't have aspartame). If you're not allergic to aspartame the amount of aspartame it takes to cause adverse effects requires injection, because through consumption you won't be able to ingest the necessary amounts. Milk from cattle has more adverse effects than aspartame.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
I've got a solution...eat some fucking sugar and then get off your ass and exercise for once! Everyone expects this diet in a bottle bullshit.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (eedok @ Feb 4 2009, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my fiance is allergic to aspartame, and you don't realize how much stuff has aspartame in it until you know someone who is allergic(and the number keeps increasing as people are getting more calorie conscious, you can't find gum in Canada anymore that doesn't have aspartame). If you're not allergic to aspartame the amount of aspartame it takes to cause adverse effects requires injection, because through consumption you won't be able to ingest the necessary amounts. Milk from cattle has more adverse effects than aspartame.

in the short term. Long term ingestion of Aspartame causes heart disease; fact.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
Where did this fact come from exactly? The rats that were subjected to the unholy amounts of aspartame showed signs of blindness, seizures, and third generation birth defects, but I don't recall there being heart failures, so I'm wondering what your source on this is.
QUOTE (Danoli3 @ Jan 29 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Direct Studies shown on Apes shown it is not safe to consume in the slightest.
In this study 5 Apes where fed small amounts of Aspartame with Milk, All 5 had adverse effects, 4 Had serious Seizes and Vomiting. 1 Died from it.
This is from 1 intake of the Chemical.

Humans share a lot of Characteristics with Apes and we may be a bit more resistant to Chemicals but this obviously shows how dangerous this Chemical is.

I also searched for this study, the only thing I could turn up was this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....v/pubmed/827619
which pretty much says the exact opposite of what your post says

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (eedok @ Feb 4 2009, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did this fact come from exactly? The rats that were subjected to the unholy amounts of aspartame showed signs of blindness, seizures, and third generation birth defects, but I don't recall there being heart failures, so I'm wondering what your source on this is.

Heart Palpitations form from the amino acids in Aspartame, look it up?

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Danoli3

Danoli3

• GA Sergeant
  • 6,760 posts
QUOTE (eedok @ Feb 5 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also searched for this study, the only thing I could turn up was this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....v/pubmed/827619
which pretty much says the exact opposite of what your post says

Watch the Aspartame Sweet Misery Documentary.

Also I did a quick google search and came up with these:
http://www.dldewey.c...ns/asparstu.htm
http://www.mercola.c...afety_study.htm

QUOTE (eedok @ Feb 5 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm also allergic to poison icon_smile.gif.

The problem is, its not just consumption. The Tongue had a almost Intravenous effect from chemicals.
http://www.wnho.net/...chewing_gum.htm

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
QUOTE (Danoli3 @ Feb 4 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watch the Aspartame Sweet Misery Documentary.

Also I did a quick google search and came up with these:
http://www.dldewey.c...ns/asparstu.htm
http://www.mercola.c...afety_study.htm

I'm also allergic to poison icon_smile.gif.

The problem is, its not just consumption. The Tongue had a almost Intravenous effect from chemicals.
http://www.wnho.net/...chewing_gum.htm

As for the first link, lets look at the scientific rigorousness that was applied in this scenario(remember this report was done in the 70's):
A research project involving repeated daily oral administration of any agent
to a sizable population of baby monkeys, commencing at birth and continuing
uninterrupted throughout the 1st year of life, is a major undertaking fraught with
hazard, even for the partially initiated.

I don't see what could go wrong here.. Also look at their control group
The extremely limited availability of newborn Rhesus, as well as
limitations in adequately skilled laboratory personnel, likewise contributed to our
decision to eliminate the requirement of a concurrent control group in this study.

you know control groups aren't important for things such as making sure the affects are from the differences in diets rather than just calling something that happens to all of them to be caused by what you just happen to be experimenting with is a great idea.

Also their dosage sizes are ridiculous (the low dosage is 990mg/kg which is about 330 diet cokes worth of aspartame for someone weighing 60kg/130lbs, the medium dosage which suffered seizures took in triple this amount, and the large dosage ones that died took in up to 6 times as much)

the second link is so full of bullshit it's not even funny, here's a good quote:
Chlorophyll's nutrient-rich properties can promote growth and repair of your body's tissues.

first of guess what nutrients Chlorophyll has. if your answer is greater than none you're gonna need to do some research

as for the tongue article, here's an excerpt from another paper from the writer:
"Dr Bowen, how could such a
poisonous chemical ever be on the market?" I answered "Betty! This is
organized crime in our government." She became furious with me! "That
I should suggest there is organized crime in the U.S. government!
What a nut!" A few days later they called and threatened her life. A
couple days later two men tried to drag her into a car. She was able
to make her escape by breaking free and running. A couple days later
her husband Dave, who now has no question that organized crime runs
our government, came home and found her shot dead in a puddle of
blood on the floor.

EDIT: Also Snopes

Lint

Lint
  • Members
  • 144 posts
When I buy gum I have to make sure it is aspartame free otherwise I get headaches after about ten minutes of chewing gum with aspartame. People can believe otherwise but when I consume a gum that has everything looking pretty normal and this gum gives me headaches and the only thing different is aspartame then I believe I can safely conclude aspartame gives me headaches.

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
what gum do you chew that doesn't have aspartame?

Also, Canadian research, stating aspartame only has ill effects on those with a certain genetic disorder

Serenade

Serenade
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • xfire:shadesparrow
  • Interests:Gaming, MMORPGs, D&amp;D, Cthulhu, music (industrial, punk, metal, ska, and a little rap), Reading (mostly novels based on D&amp;D or fantasy), Pure Pwnage (duh)
  • Xbox / GFWL:xshadexloganx
I heard about the effects of aspartame last year and though there's debate on whether the chemical has any harmful side effects, I chose to cut my intake of it in half.

For anyone looking, Diet Rite doesn't use aspartame. They use Splenda as a sweetener, which while also a subject of mild controversy, has been pretty much proven safe.

FPS Drew

FPS Drew
  • Members
  • 563 posts
I thought this was a reflexive spanish verb or something..

CLEVO X7200 (NP9280)
_Intel Core i7 960 @3.20ghz (1366-pin LGA)
_6.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3
_(SLI) 2* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB
_(1) 80GB INTEL SSD
_(2) 750GB sEAGATE @7200RPM
_WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-bit

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/drewbsvids
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/DrewbsVids

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
QUOTE (Serenade @ Feb 6 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard about the effects of aspartame last year and though there's debate on whether the chemical has any harmful side effects, I chose to cut my intake of it in half.

For anyone looking, Diet Rite doesn't use aspartame. They use Splenda as a sweetener, which while also a subject of mild controversy, has been pretty much proven safe.

only issue with that is my fiance is also allergic to sucralose

nlitement

nlitement
  • Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • Interests:Yeah, damn.
  • Xbox / GFWL:nlitement
Everything causes, prevents, promotes, and stops cancer/brain lesions/impotence these days.
˘3˘ ◕ ◡ ◕ ( ω`) ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users