Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PC Will Not Boot.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Acoly

Acoly
  • Members
  • 326 posts
Ok, yesterday i was re-installing windows when all of a sudden my PC turns itself off, i tried to turn it back on again with no result, it just flickered for a second and didnt boot. I then opened it up to have a look inside, everything seemed to be plugged in correctly so i then started to take power cables out of certain things to test see if something could be faulty, nothing worked but when i took my Graphics card out my PC boots up; HD's, disk drives, fans load up just fine, i can even hear the system beep but can't actually see because i have no Monitor that would fit into the old slot in the motherboard.
I'm thinking it's either the graphics card or the power cable to the card, any ideas?.
On another note i've had this PC since the 10th of September 2008.

Specs are:
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-9200C5 1150MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX9200D2K2/2G).
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard.
Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU.
Coolermaster Centurion 534 Case - Black (No PSU).
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail.
OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I take it you've tried putting it back in and booting up again? icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Henry_

Henry_
  • Members
  • 1,062 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jan 16 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I take it you've tried putting it back in and booting up again? icon_razz.gif

would be the next step.

try booting in safe mode as well?

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
If your vcard has a 6 pin connector have you tried using different molexs / 6 pin connector?

If you have a cheapo card that doesn't use much power try putting that in after you tried the power connectors, your card might be sucking up too much power.

Also are you able to boot into bios and not windows or it wont boot at all? The first thing bios loads is the vcard you will notice so it would make sense if you can't even get to bios if something is going on with the vcard.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Ack Attack

Ack Attack
  • GA Lieutenant
  • 2,343 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3090
I had the same problem recently.

Are you hearing any irregular beeps when you boot up?

Because if you hear one long and three short then its a video card problem.

Acoly

Acoly
  • Members
  • 326 posts
It was deffinately my GFX Card, i could boot it up without the card in but i thought the slot could have been faulty, just been out to buy a new card and it works fine. Really have no idea why it fried though, not even had it 4 months ;<
Thanks for the help!

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Did you at least try the card in a different system? icon_confused.gif

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • xfire:Emsal
  • Interests:Ownage :D
  • Xbox / GFWL:Emsal
More importantly, what card did you buy?

EDIT: Why didn't you just return your current card? Warranty?
Grrrrrr

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
  • xfire:mikemayhem1234
Uhm, if you dont mind me asking.
What brand was the card.
Certain brands are nore proned to fail than other brands.
RX-7's fo' life yo.

Acoly

Acoly
  • Members
  • 326 posts
Yeah, i took it to the local PC shop near my town and had it tested with no results. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sending it off to Overclockers and waiting over a week for a replacement, besides I've lost all the paperwork for that warranty, i bought a Zotac Geforce 9800 GT from the local shop, my old card was a Ocuk Geforce 8800GT.

GrimMasterShadowFlash

GrimMasterShadowFlash
  • Members
  • 732 posts
  • xfire:mikemayhem1234
QUOTE (Acoly @ Jan 16 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, i took it to the local PC shop near my town and had it tested with no results. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of sending it off to Overclockers and waiting over a week for a replacement, besides I've lost all the paperwork for that warranty, i bought a Zotac Geforce 9800 GT from the local shop, my old card was a Ocuk Geforce 8800GT.

Ocuk?
i thought that was a reseller not a Manufacturer.
Like do you know what brand name the card was?
eVGA, XFX, MSI, ect?
RX-7's fo' life yo.

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • xfire:Emsal
  • Interests:Ownage :D
  • Xbox / GFWL:Emsal
QUOTE (Acoly @ Jan 16 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those two cards are pretty much the same icon_smile.gif. I doubt you will get any performance boost, but try sending your GFX card anyway?
Grrrrrr

I don't care for Joe

I don't care for Joe
  • Members
  • 136 posts
QUOTE (GrimMasterShadowFlash @ Jan 16 2009, 03:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uhm, if you dont mind me asking.
What brand was the card.
Certain brands are nore proned to fail than other brands.

That's incorrect. All modern cards are based on the same blueprint and as such the only real differences will be the cooler design or method.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
not really, Asus and Club3D for example have HD 4800's with a different PCB layout for example.

I don't care for Joe

I don't care for Joe
  • Members
  • 136 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jan 17 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not really, Asus and Club3D for example have HD 4800's with a different PCB layout for example.

In addition to the different cooler and higher GPU clock, there are also some minor changes to the PCB design, as well, the power connector is pushed a bit higher near the edge of the card, and unlike the reference card the VRM heatsink is separated from the main heatsink.

I hardly think slightly longer traces to the PCI-E power and a detached heatsink is going to make enough difference for it to be mentioned.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Well it just so happens that there is a lot more complaints about these then the ones with the reference design.. but eh, what's the point anyways, we're kinda getting offtopic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users