Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PTrain goes to Australia!

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Steam ID:ptrain
  • Xbox / GFWL:aaahhXBOXlive
Update!
Well I made it here to Melbourne. So far the trip has been pretty crazy. We have been to Sydney, Carins, Ayers Rock, and now Melbourne all in a week.

Sorry it took so long to load up some pictures.

That was a picture up in Carins from the boat we took out to the Great Barrier Reef.

Sydney skyline.

A couple of friends and me stopping for a rest during a hike.

Blue Ridge Moutians

And of course a roo. Hey at least I spared you guys the obligatory shot of the opera house.

You can check out my other pictures if you fell like it at http://picasaweb.google.com/pjtrainor

I'll try to put up more pictures at the trip rolls on. I want to get a shot of the dining hall here at Trinity College. It looks exactly like Hogwarts.

/Update!

Well just like Christron, I'm looking for some advice from the wide Australian fan base here. I'm headed down there for the month of January with my university. We technically have 3 semesters during the year (excluding summer sessions) fall, winter, and spring. Our winter session is only 5 weeks long and tons of students travel abroad on the many trips the the university runs.

Anyway I'll be in Sydney for about a week, Cairns for 3 days, Uluru for 3 days, and then Melbourne for about 2 weeks. So any suggestions for things to do in those places? I'll do all the obvious stuff like see the opera house, do some scuba diving and surfing, but I want to do some of the stuff locals do. So what do you do with your friends on the weekends?

Also how do you guys like people from the states? I would imagine of all the places in the world to go Australia would be one of them that are pretty friendly toward Americans. But I also don't want to stick out, so I won't wear the US flag like a cape.

#CaMer0n

#CaMer0n

GA Corporal

• Banned
  • 5,279 posts
  • xfire:Bag
  • Interests:skating
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dip
  • PSN:Tea
  • Wii:Lift
  • Gamer Army ID:214
You call that a fork?

THIS is a SP00N!

Brown_Cyclone

Brown_Cyclone
  • Members
  • 1,048 posts
  • xfire:Frostmourne234
  • Interests:Gaming, music, friends, pure pwnage, reading, zelda lulz
  • Xbox / GFWL:brown cyclone
  • Wii:1751004761534286
Dude we're friendly to everyone lol. Anyway..stuff to do in melbourne, you could come to one of our malls and see a movie 2 weeks after its come out over there icon_razz.gif

Whiskerz

Whiskerz
  • Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • xfire:Whiskerz
  • Interests:Games, Basketball, Lifting.
  • Steam ID:Whiskerz777
  • PSN:Whiskerz
This is a knife:

Anyway, uhhhh, things to do......dont say 'put another shrimp on barbie', if you say this you will not have fun, believe me, ill make sure of it myself. Other than that......get shitfaced everywher you go?

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (Whiskerz @ Dec 23 2008, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get shitfaced everywher you go?

This is pretty much the only fun thing your going to find to do, plus it's a really cultural Australian thing so it's win-win for you.

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Dec 22 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is pretty much the only fun thing your going to find to do, plus it's a really cultural Australian thing so it's win-win for you.

Cool.

But I'm going to have to say put another shrimp on the barbie. That and 'maybe the dingo ate your baby.' You just have to say it. Just like when in Texas you have to say howdy.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:20
If you wanna fit in just be laid back and dont take it bad when they pay out your accent (which is possible). Insulting each other is our way of spreading love.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Jul 11 2010, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
I have an accent? I thought it was just you guys with funny accents. icon_lol.gif

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
Go swimming and make sure to touch crazy looking cone snail shell things and octopus that turn blue.

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
Contrary to popular belief, these guys can be your best friend.

Make sure you greet them with a hug.

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
if you're going in forests or anyplace with tall trees, be careful of dropbears. they live on eucalyptus trees and fking jump down on top of stray bushwalkers... we get a dozen deaths a year from them... just watch the tall trees- not to be confused with the fuzzy koalas.

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts

I was in the ocean and I had a frizbee, and some 8/10's were like THROW IT TO US and I just pretended I didnt hear them and swam quickly back to beach.

fhouse

fhouse
  • GA Major
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:video games, computers, the internet, reading, stuff<br /><br />jesus chrst, i'm a stereotypical geek.<br /><br />rest assured that i'm a girl and thus really good at covering up this fact with my physical appearance. i 'lost' my glasses and no longer wear braces.<br /><br />SSBB FC:004468173189
  • Wii:3001107069525936
  • Gamer Army ID:3479
  • Company:Pi
SYDNEY:

go check out the opera house

i go there all the time and i'm still like 'whoa. if this building came to life, everybody would die. would make a great video game though.'

go see it at night, the sky is really pretty and you watch ferries go across the harbour and its soooo puuurty.

also you should go shopping. everything here i cheap for you americans now. as we speak, greasy men are putting my family's furniture in a truck and a cockroach is nesting under my bed, so take advantage of it!

heed the advice of the poster before me; get shitfaced. but buy your alcohol at the airport, because it will cost you three pieces of shit.

do not say 'shrimp on the barbie'

there is no correct context to this phrase, and younger people will say
'what the fuck is a shrimp?'
then you will say, 'y'know, those things you put on barbies. shrimp.'
and then they will say 'oooooh, shriiiimp. like, american prawns?'
and then you will be like, 'wtf, prawns are like tiny shrimps.'
and then we will say, no they're not'
and then you will wish you hadn't said 'shrimp on the barbie.'

the harbour bridge is overrated, don't bother wasting money climbing it.

do go to centrepoint tower, that thing is cool. another one of those 'whoa, this building should come to life and fight the opera house' sorts of things.

there are plenty of PC rooms and internet cafes to game in around the city, find one with the most asians and you'll have a good days worth of CS training.

come visit me at work and i'll sell you a sydney travel guide. no one ever buys them. icon_sad.gif

OH WATCH SOME THEATRE. sydney has a good theatre scene. where do you think cate blanchett got her skillz?

thats all i can think of right now.

Shaun.

Shaun.

Overall Best PP Contributor | MoTMJan08

• GA Corporal
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Vidya, music, Marvel and frilly things.
  • Gamer Army ID:145
You be fine as a travelling American icon_wink.gif And yeah, you really should have a barbeque here especially since it's summer. I recommend having a BBQ in Cairns. The weather is well-suited for one. Cairns has a bunch of free BBQs for you to use around the Esplanade (you'll find it on a map XD).

If you want to meet other travellers in Cairns, The Woolshed is a good drinking dive. I could probably show you around Sydney a bit. Tree_ is pretty much bang on about the drinking. Not sure what else us "locals" do for a good time. Maybe wrestle a croc on the weekend I guess...

Also, don't go to Melbourne. They're all a bunch of turds there.

EDIT: Heed fhouse's advice. DUTY FREE FTW.

fhouse

fhouse
  • GA Major
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:video games, computers, the internet, reading, stuff<br /><br />jesus chrst, i'm a stereotypical geek.<br /><br />rest assured that i'm a girl and thus really good at covering up this fact with my physical appearance. i 'lost' my glasses and no longer wear braces.<br /><br />SSBB FC:004468173189
  • Wii:3001107069525936
  • Gamer Army ID:3479
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (Shaun. @ Dec 23 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, don't go to Melbourne. They're all a bunch of turds there.

buuuuurn.

nah, they're alright, i have family in melbourne.

though my mother kind of disaccosiated with them when they became taxi drivers.

PureRandom

PureRandom
  • GA Private
  • 1,109 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:4039
Bloody dingo's marvelous

Shaun.

Shaun.

Overall Best PP Contributor | MoTMJan08

• GA Corporal
  • 6,679 posts
  • Interests:Vidya, music, Marvel and frilly things.
  • Gamer Army ID:145
QUOTE (PureRandom @ Dec 23 2008, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bloody dingo's marvelous

Aren't you a sheepfucker? icon_razz.gif

To make this post meaningful... some things to do in Oz:

- Try Vegemite on toast
- Try kangaroo jerky
- Hit the beaches
- When you're in Cairns, take a day trip to the Daintree rainforest

Garamiah

Garamiah
  • Global Moderators
  • 6,674 posts
And remember that vegemite is meant to be spread THICK. like im not talking half an inch, go the full inch.

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
QUOTE (Garamiah @ Dec 23 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And remember that vegemite is meant to be spread THICK. like im not talking half an inch, go the full inch.

Shit sucks.

Lord Panzerfaust

Lord Panzerfaust

Best Music Contributor

• GA Private
  • 3,013 posts
  • xfire:lordpanzerfaust
  • Interests:just gaming and music :P
  • Steam ID:lordpanzerfaust666
  • Xbox / GFWL:Age Ov DooM
  • PSN:LordPanzerfaust
  • Gamer Army ID:3878