Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IVF

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:techno ninjacus
IVF is basically the fertilisation of the egg outside of the womb, eggs and sperm are retrieved from the parents-to-be and the sperm is inserted directly into the egg.

It is common for up to five separate eggs to be used as the success rate is quite low. The fertilised eggs are then inserted into the womb in the hope that one of them will attach itself to the womb lining and begin the miracle that is mass cell reproduction.

Pills are usually given to the mother to increase her wombs 'acceptance' of the egg and to generally ready her body for IVF.

That's the basic gist but the link below describes it in detail if anyone is interested, although i have a feeling this may spark a new topic.

IVF info

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (techno-ninja @ Dec 17 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IVF is basically the fertilisation of the egg outside of the womb, eggs and sperm are retrieved from the parents-to-be and the sperm is inserted directly into the egg.

It is common for up to five separate eggs to be used as the success rate is quite low. The fertilised eggs are then inserted into the womb in the hope that one of them will attach itself to the womb lining and begin the miracle that is mass cell reproduction.

Pills are usually given to the mother to increase her wombs 'acceptance' of the egg and to generally ready her body for IVF.

That's the basic gist but the link below describes it in detail if anyone is interested, although i have a feeling this may spark a new topic.

IVF info

huh....

That seems like a really touchy subject...

I suppose at first thought I would be against it, just because most people in those situations end up with more babies than they bargained for, but then again the only cases I've ever heard about that happening are those. I'm sure it works as intended with other people, but they just keep it quiet.

Maybe they should adopt if they can't have children?

Lisa!

Lisa!
  • GA Private
  • 1,442 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3969
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Dec 17 2008, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh....

That seems like a really touchy subject...

I suppose at first thought I would be against it, just because most people in those situations end up with more babies than they bargained for, but then again the only cases I've ever heard about that happening are those. I'm sure it works as intended with other people, but they just keep it quiet.

Maybe they should adopt if they can't have children?

Haha, story time, children.

My mum couldn't get pregnant normally, since she had endometriosis - Endometriosis (from endo, "inside", and metra, "womb") is a common medical condition in women that is characterized by growth beyond or outside the uterus of tissue resembling endometrium, the tissue that normally lines the uterus. And that was pushing on something and wouldn't allow her to get pregnant.

So FINALLY they went and did IVF, her and my dad, because they really wanted kids, and it worked. But instead of one baby they ended up with quadruplets. And just think, without that, you all wouldn't have the joy of knowing me ; D

So I can't say I'm against it, because I'm not. I think if you can give the experience of having your own child to a couple who might not be able to do it otherwise, then go for it. They're probably going to much better parents than someone who had a baby normally/by accident.

I don't quite see why having more than one child would make you against it. So the woman has multiples - big deal? sure, its a lot of work, but its not all bad : D

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
you're a quad? That is awesome icon_biggrin.gif

I'm all for IVF, when it used in the normal parameters of nature, if that makes sense :/

I mean that when used on women of child bearing age (16-40/45) it is a really positive choice. The parents obviously really want to have children as they are willing to go through such stressful measures- and who better to have children than people who really want them?

When used on women that have left their child bearing years behind them, i think that is when it becomes a little iffy. I don't think that it is fair for an elderly woman to be having children when she's pretty much guaranteed to die before the child reaches adulthood.

Oldest parents from IVF:
http://www.independe...70-1059058.html

http://www.dailymail...s-lot-give.html

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,927 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (lisa! @ Dec 17 2008, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't quite see why having more than one child would make you against it. So the woman has multiples - big deal? sure, its a lot of work, but its not all bad : D

Because in general, most people when trying to have a child are expecting, financially and mentally, to have a child.

I've never known anyone (until now) who has gone through the procedure, so all I can think of is the people you see on the TV with 8 children at once and all that. It just seems like there should be more of a precaution before being used, though there could very well be these measures in place already.

So I don't really have a valid argument for this, just a perception of people not knowing what they are getting into, in general.

If people want to do it, more power to them.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
quick question, when they say "test tube baby" are they referring to kids born of IVF?

I want to see a baby conceived and grow in a test tube.. that would be cool.
The Blackman is God

some dude

some dude
  • Members
  • 2,265 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:kumarricon
QUOTE (Jimmy Rabbitte @ Dec 18 2008, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
quick question, when they say "test tube baby" are they referring to kids born of IVF?

I want to see a baby conceived and grow in a test tube.. that would be cool.

how are you supposed to change a baby that is an inch long?
it wouldnt work
i have nothing against IVF, if a woman can't get pregnant normally, then its fine.
however, i do have a problem with people who purposely munch fertility pills like mushrooms just so they can have 4+ kids at once, and half of them end up dying.
performance and adrenaline = no boner.
It's the equivalent of trying to get a hard on with 20 old people standing around you with notepads and watching you intently. It just doesn't happen.

teh_canonized

teh_canonized
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • xfire:Canonized
I guess I can't see what there is to debate here... from what I read there are no cells or living things being killed or experimented on

I doubt we have many hard line fundamentalists or even that many "homeschool style" christians to argue with on this forum.
"Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" - Kill them all for god will know his own.
-Arnaud Amuary, Abbot of Citeux

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (some dude @ Dec 18 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how are you supposed to change a baby that is an inch long?
it wouldnt work

huh?
The Blackman is God

exterminator321

exterminator321
  • Members
  • 1,214 posts
  • xfire:exterminator321
Doesn't affect me so I don't really care how a couple wants to have their kids. But I do think they should consider adoption before doing this. There are so many kids that need adoption. Then again I can see how a couple would want a child that's like their own (half dad's genes and half mom's genes). So this would be the next best thing.
IPB Image

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
QUOTE (exterminator321 @ Dec 21 2008, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't affect me so I don't really care how a couple wants to have their kids. But I do think they should consider adoption before doing this. There are so many kids that need adoption. Then again I can see how a couple would want a child that's like their own (half dad's genes and half mom's genes). So this would be the next best thing.

I completely agree with you on this one- In the future i hope to foster children or even adopt, this is regardless of whether i have my own children or not, some people don't like the idea of raising someone elses children rather than have their own

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users