Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Audio, Video, Snakeoil

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

Yozki

Yozki
  • Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • xfire:Yozki
  • Steam ID:Yozki
Hey guys I've always wondered how much do headphones usually last with moderate use, and if using them at high volume makes the life shorter or something... It's something I've always wanted to ask but never got around to it icon_biggrin.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Yoski @ Jan 4 2009, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys I've always wondered how much do headphones usually last with moderate use, and if using them at high volume makes the life shorter or something... It's something I've always wanted to ask but never got around to it icon_biggrin.gif

even with heavy use, if you treat the headphones well, they will last for decades

i doubt you can comfortably stand to listen to volume levels that are dangerous to the haedphones - more than likely, your eardrum will literally burst before the headphone breaks a sweat. but yes, higher volumes do stress the voice coil more. the question is really if the volumes you normally listen to are going to cause significant damage, and the answer is probably "no"

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Today I got my EF91's in the mail. At first I was heavily dissapointed because both of them seemed to have lost their..what's it called again, the borium at the top right? At least one has it partially turned black.
The improvement in soundstage is substantial, specifically for tracks that are mixed well.. there seems to be a slight imbalance between the two.. I'll have to do some more listening, maybe see if I can find that distortion MK III users have reported with EF91's.
Terrific upgrade for €12.50.

edit: yeah, the highs are partially shifted to the left, such as symbals..kinda anoying to hear those from a slightly different direction.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
black is actually BETTER than silver, when it comes to the color of the getters. youre very lucky to find a tube with such a fantastic vacuum!

CES 2009 meant the debut of the new HD800's from Sennheiser! Preorders only cost $1400 USD icon_wink.gif Here are some reviews so far, from those fortunate enough to give them a listen:

http://www.head-fi.o...41/#post5262167

http://www.head-fi.o...tml#post5272855

http://www.head-fi.o...tml#post5262499

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Looks amazing, and very positive reviews.. would be awesome if Sennheiser simply nailed it icon_wink.gif

WUT. I just found out there's a Head-Fi next Sunday right here in the Netherlands.. I oughta give my dad a call and see if he doesn't wanna go with me.. icon_razz.gif
Seems like th perfect chance for to find out of a HD 650 is the headphone for me.. icon_smile.gif

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
you should post in the meet thread that youd like someone to bring an HD650, just in case

at the NYC meet, only one other person had HD650's there

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:autoplay
Wondering if it's worth the extra money,to get the tube version?

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
I'm pretty sure that's a fake icon_razz.gif

In any case.. What I like to think of when you see stuff like that is..how would it sound live? Have you ever been to an acoustic concert? Assuming the room is set up acoustically and they use good quality instruments.. that's as good as it's gonna sound icon_razz.gif

PwntToast

PwntToast

I want a title. But I'm not creative D:

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
  • xfire:pwnttoast
  • Interests:Gaming, Playing/listening to music, skateboarding.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Marcus Fps
  • PSN:Nope.
  • Wii:Not yet.
I got excited to make a rock pun until I read the third paragraph.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts

Sorry but AHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!11

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
icon_sad.gif reading this makes me want to upgrade my PC sound.

Currently packing a Xonar DX and Klipsch 2.1 system but i want moar!

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
QUOTE (Sethasstor @ Jan 17 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
icon_sad.gif reading this makes me want to upgrade my PC sound.

Currently packing a Xonar DX and Klipsch 2.1 system but i want moar!

be VERY careful - upgraditis is highly contagious

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
This is an awesome 'benchmark' for soundstage icon_razz.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jan 19 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is an awesome 'benchmark' for soundstage icon_razz.gif

binaural recordings dont typically reflect the "soundstaging" abilities of any headphone. the reason being that these types of recordings' effects work on ipod earbuds just as well as MDR-R10's.

still, they are VERY fun to listen to, and I recommend listening to as many as possible icon_smile.gif there are a number of archives of free binaural recordings online

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Hooray, payday will soon arrive icon_razz.gif

/me browses open headphones.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
how much you looking to spend? ud be surprised how cheap you can get an old stax setup

in fact, a new complete "low-end" (as if there really was such a thing) Stax earspeaker+amp can be found for $600

/me puts MORE expensive ideas into Weiman's head

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts

Yeah uh, how about nooooo

Looking to spend, say, 250 shipped. Currently Senns HD 650 fir that profile, but so do AKG 701's and Beyer-Dynamic DT 880 and 770, though those are closed I think.

h0micide

h0micide
  • Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • xfire:basz0r
  • Interests:gaming, music, literature, physics
Soooooooooo basically I read something about PC amps to crank up headphones, and I've decided that I want one for my HD555's. I looked into some cheap ones, and found a few Dynavox models with a price range from 60 to 80 euros. Does anyone have any experience with Dynavox/recommends another brand/type? I've currently got an Auzentech X-plosion 7.1 sound card to which my Creative T40's are connected to which my HD555's are connected through the front headset output.

Thanks

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Not familiar at all with Dynavox.

However, it seems everybody loves Hypnotoad Little Dot amps icon_razz.gif Even the MKI seems to be a bit out of your budget though.. not to worry, there's always the Starving Student amp icon_razz.gif

h0micide

h0micide
  • Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • xfire:basz0r
  • Interests:gaming, music, literature, physics
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jan 22 2009, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not familiar at all with Dynavox.

However, it seems everybody loves Hypnotoad Little Dot amps icon_razz.gif Even the MKI seems to be a bit out of your budget though.. not to worry, there's always the Starving Student amp icon_razz.gif

Unfunny. Can you link me to some dynavox reviews or some interesting forums discussing budget amps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users