Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Audio, Video, Snakeoil

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

PwntToast

PwntToast

I want a title. But I'm not creative D:

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
  • xfire:pwnttoast
  • Interests:Gaming, Playing/listening to music, skateboarding.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Marcus Fps
  • PSN:Nope.
  • Wii:Not yet.
QUOTE (Weiman @ Dec 20 2008, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Muse sounds EFFING awesome... brian.png

'cause I want it now
I want it now
give me your heart and your soul
and I'm breaking out
I'm breaking out
last chance to lose control
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

PTrain

PTrain
  • Members
  • 1,267 posts
  • Steam ID:ptrain
  • Xbox / GFWL:aaahhXBOXlive
I was trying to snag some A700s but I got outbid by a dollar. Ended up going for $72 shipped.

On a semi related note, with open ear headphones how much sound gets out? Say I'm using them on a plane and I'm listening at a comfortable level, can the person next to me hear what I'm listening to?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (PTrain @ Dec 21 2008, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was trying to snag some A700s but I got outbid by a dollar. Ended up going for $72 shipped.

On a semi related note, with open ear headphones how much sound gets out? Say I'm using them on a plane and I'm listening at a comfortable level, can the person next to me hear what I'm listening to?

depends on the headphone, and what you consider "comfortable" relative to the loud rumble of the jets in the background

most likely though yes, they will - especially with how closely they pack people in coach. closed is probably the only way to go with airplanes

Dr_Vinegar

Dr_Vinegar
  • Members
  • 443 posts
Has anyone tried a set of Sennheiser HD555's? If you have, did you find them comfortable? I heard they were good for games and movies, but how are they with music (rock, metal, electronic)?

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
Apparently they're like...amazing, lol.

But I've never worn a pair so I wouldn't be one to tell you what they're like, sorry.
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)
Kazzerax: if she has a boyfriend, that's you being a fucking terrible person and i hope he knocks your ass out in a stream while you're wearing jeans

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
QUOTE (Dr_Vinegar @ Dec 24 2008, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone tried a set of Sennheiser HD555's? If you have, did you find them comfortable? I heard they were good for games and movies, but how are they with music (rock, metal, electronic)?

for the budget, theyre not bad

for rock genres though, something with more defined highs might be a better idea, perhaps Grado SR-125's. what do you think your movie/music ratio would be?

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Dr_Vinegar @ Dec 24 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see the logic behind your question, like, if a pair headphones is rated as awesome everywhere, and you know it's good for movies and games, then how could the performance of music be any less then stellar? icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

PwntToast

PwntToast

• Retired Staff
  • 3,617 posts
QUOTE (Private Discussion @ Dec 24 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see the logic behind your question, like, if a pair headphones is rated as awesome everywhere, and you know it's good for movies and games, then how could the performance of music be any less then stellar? icon_razz.gif

Is stellar your word of the day? icon_razz.gif
(RIP Troy "T-Bag" Dixon)

Dr_Vinegar

Dr_Vinegar
  • Members
  • 443 posts
I'll be playing games more than anything, but a fair bit of music too (like 80% games, 15% music, 5% movies). I dunno much about headphones, but I heard that if they're good for games and movies, they can still be shit for music icon_razz.gif They're real cheap atm (160AUD, free postage, 20 day money back "trial"), so they're worth a try icon_biggrin.gif anything will seem stellar to me, being a headphone noob and all.
I can't find the Grado SR-125's anywhere in Australia, do you know how much they are?

NB: I think Weiman's middle name might be Stella or somethin, seeing as it's his favourite word icon_razz.gif

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
I've used that word only TWICE in one day.. gimme a break icon_razz.gif

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:autoplay
What would sound better,and drive my Senns 650's..........

Woo WA6

Or Little Dot MK IV / MK IV SE Headphone Amplifier

The Woo also sells some upgrades,is it worth the extra cash to upgrade?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
WA6 in a heartbeat! Not only does it have great synergy with HD650's, it is also made in America, meaning that it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to send it back in, should it ever need service

the upgrades are certainly NOT worth it, except for the power tube upgrade - you should definitely get that one

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
QUOTE (DougHChrist @ Dec 25 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WA6 in a heartbeat! Not only does it have great synergy with HD650's, it is also made in America, meaning that it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to send it back in, should it ever need service

the upgrades are certainly NOT worth it, except for the power tube upgrade - you should definitely get that one

Thx Doug!

I don't see any power tube upgrades on their site,other than this "Drive/Power tube replacement:
1 matched pair 6DE7 $17 (2 pcs)

NOS tube. Buy and ship independently."

That's the same as the stock tube?

In regards to Little Dot,I tried emailing them,and it came back as not an email address,and,it takes forever to load a page. Didn't give me too much confidence with that company.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
theyre a great company - strange the email didnt work, ive had many emails with DavidZ from LD icon_confused.gif

BlG_BALLS

BlG_BALLS
  • Members
  • 222 posts
Yes,I thought it was strange too. Here's the email addy they provide,for direct purchase..... little.tube@gmail.com < little.tube@gmail.com>

I just now left their site(to get email addy) and it took almost 2 minutes to get the page to load. I'm on FIOS too,so speed on my end not an issue.

You stated I should replace/upgrade the power tube/s....... What should I use as a substitution?

Thx

Here's my up n down speed

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
the little tube website loaded fine for me, very quickly. perhaps you should clear cache, or delete temp files?

i suggest you get whatever upgrade Woo is offering - you dont need to buy $200 NOS tubes yet icon_wink.gif

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
I think one of my driver tubes is slightly malfunctioning... a lot off buzz even when playing a bit of music, but it fluctuates. Gee, wouldn't that be a shame..

edit: purchased.

Riddle

Riddle
  • Members
  • 622 posts
QUOTE (Dr_Vinegar @ Dec 25 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be playing games more than anything, but a fair bit of music too (like 80% games, 15% music, 5% movies). I dunno much about headphones, but I heard that if they're good for games and movies, they can still be shit for music icon_razz.gif They're real cheap atm (160AUD, free postage, 20 day money back "trial"), so they're worth a try icon_biggrin.gif anything will seem stellar to me, being a headphone noob and all.
I can't find the Grado SR-125's anywhere in Australia, do you know how much they are?

NB: I think Weiman's middle name might be Stella or somethin, seeing as it's his favourite word icon_razz.gif

A great place to look for headphones.
Welcome the the enthusiast world of good quality sound ^^.

I think one of my driver tubes is slightly malfunctioning... a lot off buzz even when playing a bit of music, but it fluctuates. Gee, wouldn't that be a shame..

Send me ur broken tube amp ^^. me love you long time

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
lol? As you can see I already ordered two new tubes for it icon_razz.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
speaking of ordering tubes, I'm looking to replace my driver tubes with some NOS tubes, preferably something to lower the noise floor a bit

though my dreams of Western Electric will remain on the backburner (I imagine for eternity icon_razz.gif), I'm looking at some RCA tubes, in the interest of keeping with the old American stocks. I have my eye on some 1955 6SL7GT's, we'll see how it works out icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users