Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Audio, Video, Snakeoil

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

crashMMVII

crashMMVII
  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • xfire:crashmmvii
  • Xbox / GFWL:x Crash INC
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I guess it beats starting a new thread.

I'm looking for a really cheap set of closed-ear headphones, preferably under about $30 (this is where I figured the whole wrong-thread part) with the best quality possible. I'm not that big of an audiophile, so the quality won't bug me as much as it bugs you guys. :]

I've been looking at the HD201s here a little bit, and they seem like what I want. Any other suggestions?

QUOTE (Jayl3w @ Nov 13 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smell that guys? It smells like douche.
Someone bought my cologne! :D

Clarkey

Clarkey
  • Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Clarketk
  • PSN:Clarkek
  • Wii:4185422692335237
How come vista keeps muting my mic? I'll unmute it then when I try chatting in steam or L4D it mutes. Also my mic is connected through my lycosa keyboard.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Now you're getting offtopic..make a seperate thread for that.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Spadge

Spadge
  • GA Private
  • 585 posts
  • xfire:spadge
  • Interests:crap, tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ninja Gerald
  • Wii:a huge number
  • Gamer Army ID:2764
Having completed my portable setup (zune30 + PA2v2 + etymotic er6i/Grado SR80s with sennheiser pads) I've decided to start upgrading my PC's sound equipment.

I'm guessing the first thing I'm going to need is a decent sound card. The Asus Xonar stuff looks good. My budget for the card is around 140.
Weiman's Littledot mk3 looks interesting, and from what i've read they are the best tube amp for the price. Would it make a noticeable difference? I use my Grado SR-80's with my PC at the moment, but thinking about upgrading to the Allesandro MS-2.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
nice mobile rig!

until you get the MS-2's, id avoid investing in a desktop amp - the source upgrade for the PC is definitely where you want to start. no point in getting a high-quality amp for the SR-80's (which are fantastic for the price), when a more significant SQ increase will come from a headphone upgrade.

the emu 0404 usb has a pretty darn decent DAC. it also has a built-in headphone amp that, while not spectacular, will definitely be an improvement over running your headphones from a sound card line-out, and will hold you until you can buy a proper amp later icon_biggrin.gif 145 though.... for half the price, you can get the 0202 usb. the DAC is almost as good, and youll save a bundle of cash icon_razz.gif

a tube amp would make a very noticeable difference, as their sound signature is rather hard to miss icon_wink.gif

Dr_Vinegar

Dr_Vinegar
  • Members
  • 443 posts
It looks like most of you around here are very experienced when it comes to audio. I however, am not icon_sad.gif But I need a pair of headphones to use for gaming (with a bit of music on the side). I was thinking the AD700's, but they're a bit too expensive for me (200AUD), so I figure the next best ones must be the AD500's. Are these any good?

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
ive never heard them, however theyre very highly regarded. and I can tell you that the A500's sound terrific, as do the AD700's - so how could the AD500's not pwn? icon_razz.gif

Dr_Vinegar

Dr_Vinegar
  • Members
  • 443 posts
QUOTE (Inigo Montoya @ Dec 19 2008, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive never heard them, however theyre very highly regarded. and I can tell you that the A500's sound terrific, as do the AD700's - so how could the AD500's not pwn? icon_razz.gif

Haha awesome, now all I gotta do is find them at a low price icon_razz.gif

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
I got some Sennheiser HD 280's the other day...

SO GOOD!

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Spadge

Spadge
  • GA Private
  • 585 posts
  • xfire:spadge
  • Interests:crap, tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ninja Gerald
  • Wii:a huge number
  • Gamer Army ID:2764
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Dec 19 2008, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got some Sennheiser HD 280's the other day...

SO GOOD!

you need to update :goodpoint: with your new cans icon_smile.gif

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
I got a friend of mine to order a pair of Audio Technica ATHM40FS for like €30 from ebay.. very nice price performance. We hooked em up to my Little dot for the fun of it and they remained... unstatisfactory to me to say the least. Though the highes seemed to be pushed a lot less, the bass was still very muddy, with almost nonexistent mids. Soundstage was pretty decent, so he uses them for gaming mostly.

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Lewdis

Lewdis
  • Members
  • 1,153 posts
  • xfire:lewdis65
  • Interests:Video games and soccer
  • Steam ID:lewdis65
  • PSN:Lewdis
QUOTE (Lowkee @ Nov 29 2008, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have the exact same thing as you, recording and all. it works great except sometimes when i record something and go to watch it later it will just give me a blank, black screen with no audio or anything, which makes me angry and also makes me have to find the same episode of whatever i taped at a later time, which is hard to find - depending on the show

Kazzerax

Kazzerax

FUCK!

• Retired Staff
  • 4,859 posts
  • xfire:kazzerax
  • Interests:Counter-Strike, Chess, computer hardware, music, literature, film and philosophy.
  • Steam ID:kazzerax
  • Gamer Army ID:764
Looking to buy a soundcard and some speakers. I don't know that my room would be very compatible with 5.1, so I think 2.1 might be the best bet. Budget for both around $300 ish.
Kazzerax
MOTHERFUCKING ENTITY OF THE WORLD
A PORTION OF GLORIOUS THOUGHT
ELECTRICITY SHAPED TO REASON
FORGED THROUGH THE FIRES OF LIFE
BROUGHT TO BEAR ON CHAOS TO IMPOSE WILL UPON AN UNCARING AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE
TO FORGE FROM NOTHING, SOMETHING
Beautiful

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
now THATS a shame icon_razz.gif $300 for either/or woulda been fantastic icon_biggrin.gif

an EMU 0202 usb is probably the best DAC you can get at $100, imho. that would pair beautifully with Audioengine A2's, which cost $200 for a pair icon_smile.gif

Kazzerax

Kazzerax

FUCK!

• Retired Staff
  • 4,859 posts
  • xfire:kazzerax
  • Interests:Counter-Strike, Chess, computer hardware, music, literature, film and philosophy.
  • Steam ID:kazzerax
  • Gamer Army ID:764
QUOTE (Inigo Montoya @ Dec 19 2008, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now THATS a shame icon_razz.gif $300 for either/or woulda been fantastic icon_biggrin.gif

Come on Dougggg, you're breakin mah balls over here.

an EMU 0202 usb is probably the best DAC you can get at $100, imho. that would pair beautifully with Audioengine A2's, which cost $200 for a pair icon_smile.gif

http://www.emu.com/p...p?product=15186 + http://www.audioadvi...asp?n... BLK Yes?
Kazzerax
MOTHERFUCKING ENTITY OF THE WORLD
A PORTION OF GLORIOUS THOUGHT
ELECTRICITY SHAPED TO REASON
FORGED THROUGH THE FIRES OF LIFE
BROUGHT TO BEAR ON CHAOS TO IMPOSE WILL UPON AN UNCARING AND INDIFFERENT UNIVERSE
TO FORGE FROM NOTHING, SOMETHING
Beautiful

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Eeeewwwww @ rear volume knob icon_razz.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Dec 20 2008, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eeeewwwww @ rear volume knob icon_razz.gif

there's a front-volume knob on the emu icon_razz.gif

@Kazz - yup, that looks lovely icon_smile.gif

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Muse sounds EFFING awesome... brian.png

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Dec 20 2008, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Muse sounds EFFING awesome... brian.png

glad to hear your amp/can combo is good for alternative rock!

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
I'm more then happy to brag to anyone about how crystal sharp the highs are and how tight the bass is.. But I think I'll shut up for now icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users