Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Athene hits level 80

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

h3r1n6

h3r1n6

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• Global Moderators
  • 1,770 posts
  • xfire:h3r1n6
  • Interests:Gaming<br />Sports
  • Steam ID:h3r1n6
Who is Athene?

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Nov 13 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anything, he only did what he did BECAUSE he's popular enough to do so.
Not exactly skill like Pwndaddy seems to believe.

I appreciate having someone put words in my mouth

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Nov 13 2008, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I appreciate having someone put words in my mouth

QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Nov 13 2008, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just trying to defend the guy, I don't praise him like a God or something. I just give him the credit he deserves. He was the first to reach 80, congrats. End of story. But people sometimes just can't accept the fact that maybe there's someone out there in Azeroth that is better than you.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
I fail to see the similarity really lol...

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
But people sometimes just can't accept the fact that maybe there's someone out there in Azeroth that is better than you.

If anything, he only did what he did BECAUSE he's popular enough to do so.

Still cannot see the corelation now?

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Nov 13 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
maybe there's someone out there in Azeroth that is better than you.

I fail to see how someone is better than me by using other people to power level. I guess he's better socially, but in no way using in-game skill.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Nov 13 2008, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still cannot see the corelation now?

Let's dumb it down further, and put it in big bold letters.
Better than you.

Somehow, I knew that's the one thing in my post you'd pick up on, and try to counter.

Also, most WoW players here hate Athene for a simple reason.
His skill, whatever level it is, is of course greatly exaggerated in the show.
Yes, we recognize he is a character, like Jeremy.

Unlike Jeremy, however, he is not a LIKABLE character.
He's simply annoying.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Nov 13 2008, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unlike Jeremy, however, he is not a LIKABLE character.
He's simply annoying.

You'd be surprise by the amount of people who dislike Jeremy. Actually, go watch some Jeremy videos around the Internet that aren't signed PurePwnage, you'll see there's a lot of hate towards Jeremy because people think he is real. Jeremy is far from being a likable character. He has big ego, can't speak for shit, shoves his balls in everyone's face, treats his brother like a complete retard, and so on.

Now, I never mentioned anything saying he is better than all of you in PVP and all these things cause he's got skills. I have a hard time believing someone has skill in WoW. I don't deny the fact that some people are good. If I see, a low level character, beat the crap out of a ret pally that is higher level than him, then yes I'll admit that dude has skill. But when I see a bunch of level 70 with super duper gear, and OPed talents then I'll think twice before saying that person has skills.

And for the whole I said he had more skills than you part. All I meant is that he reached level 80 in a very rapid way and that he's better than you because he got to level 80 before you, no matter how he "cheated" his way through as some of you may think he did it in a faster and better way than you did. Making him victorious.

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
QUOTE (PwnDaddy123 @ Nov 13 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'd be surprise by the amount of people who dislike Jeremy. Actually, go watch some Jeremy videos around the Internet that aren't signed PurePwnage, you'll see there's a lot of hate towards Jeremy because people think he is real. Jeremy is far from being a likable character. He has big ego, can't speak for shit, shoves his balls in everyone's face, treats his brother like a complete retard, and so on.

Now, I never mentioned anything saying he is better than all of you in PVP and all these things cause he's got skills. I have a hard time believing someone has skill in WoW. I don't deny the fact that some people are good. If I see, a low level character, beat the crap out of a ret pally that is higher level than him, then yes I'll admit that dude has skill. But when I see a bunch of level 70 with super duper gear, and OPed talents then I'll think twice before saying that person has skills.

And for the whole I said he had more skills than you part. All I meant is that he reached level 80 in a very rapid way and that he's better than you because he got to level 80 before you, no matter how he "cheated" his way through as some of you may think he did it in a faster and better way than you did. Making him victorious.

You've completely missed the point.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
Mmm, someone changing their opinion to suit the moment.

Smell that guys? It smells like douche.

Someone bought my cologne! icon_biggrin.gif

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

K0RRUPTED

K0RRUPTED
  • GA Private
  • 2,415 posts
  • xfire:guildwarsfreak
  • Interests:Infamous? Yussss :&gt;
  • Gamer Army ID:382

Wow.

No comment.
QUOTE (StrykerGamer @ Aug 3 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's rather simple. K0RRUPTED is the smartest 15-year-old in existence and is fucking with all of us.
Or he's Gillz's younger brother.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
Oh shit, it's tehfurious reading this thread. Rofl.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Nov 13 2008, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh shit, it's tehfurious reading this thread. Rofl.

Ah shit, lmao.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
<3 athene personally, I dunno what it is about the show but i really enjoy it. If you dont enjoy it, no probs.

Dont try to argue about whether or not its funny tbh, because comedy is subjective to personal taste.

Intraframe

Intraframe
  • Members
  • 3,142 posts
  • xfire:mark101mmmmd
  • Interests:Games (obviously), fps, rts, and a few RPG's Also enjoy soccer, both playing and watching.
  • Steam ID:Intraframe
  • Wii:5242563695984198
I don't play WoW, but i find him pretty funny. Just a really funny character, the way he acts, talks, is always in the game world, I.E SOMETHING LIKE JEREMY. to those people who said its all kiddie jokes; not all jokes in pure pwnage are incredibly witty and intellectual. FFS, the last episode had a fart joke. ok, why the fuck are you guys hating on him? he legitimately got to lvl 80, so i say gj to him, and the rest of you can cry some moar
Come at me bro

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (Intraframe @ Nov 13 2008, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't play WoW, but i find him pretty funny. Just a really funny character, the way he acts, talks, is always in the game world, I.E SOMETHING LIKE JEREMY. to those people who said its all kiddie jokes; not all jokes in pure pwnage are incredibly witty and intellectual. FFS, the last episode had a fart joke. ok, why the fuck are you guys hating on him? he legitimately got to lvl 80, so i say gj to him, and the rest of you can cry some moar

You miss the point mah friend.

Just because a certain way to attain something is legitimate I.E. part of the game, doesn't make
it good or skillful, it makes it an exploitation and, in the case of WoW, it pretty much removes a
whole point of playing any MMORPG.

(And to those who'll argue that leveling isn't supposed to be an integral part of playing, you need
to go look up the history and origins of the genre, or just go pick up any D&D book, tbh. Really
the only thing I've grown to dislike about WoW is how it has exposed a rather distastful type of
MMORPG gamer, the instant gratification type of dudes.)

He's a lot like Jeremy by being an intense exaggeration of how a lot of gamers behave and/or
think, but the primary difference, as has been stated, is that it isn't a likable exaggeration.

He comes across as an attention-seeking douche, and it's intentional on his part.

Hell, most people don't name Jeremy as their favorite character on PP anyways, so putting up the
two in comparison accomplishes nothing beyond stereotyping anyone who likes PP over Athene's
"show" as Jeremy-fans, which really says more about you then it does about the fanbase at large.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
QUOTE (Jayl3w @ Nov 14 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
text

Different people play MMO's for different reasons, some people might enjoy levelling up or consider it to be an integral part of the game, some not.

You say that he isnt likeable, but hell, I like him. It is subjective and remarking that he is unlikeable is absurd. If you dont like it, dont watch it, imo

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
Athene always deletes my comments then when I confront them about it they deny it and they aren't flames /sigh

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Nov 13 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Different people play MMO's for different reasons, some people might enjoy levelling up or consider it to be an integral part of the game, some not.

Nono, you don't much understand the point behind an MMORPG by the sounds of it. It reminds me
in a way of people who call them bad games because it's level-based rather then based on raw skill,
but that's the whole point.

The games are derived from the likes of D&D, a game that revolves completely around raising your level,
gaining new skills/spells/abilities, and massive quantities of booze and delivery. People who play one and
complain about having to level are people who should be playing an RTS, Action-RPG, or Fighting game.

These types of people didn't exist in NEAR the quantity they do now until WoW, because they opted to aim
their game to a broad market, and people stopped enjoying the things that make an MMORPG an MMORPG.

But, that doesn't really involve this discussion, another time maybe icon_wink.gif

QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Nov 13 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You say that he isnt likeable, but hell, I like him. It is subjective and remarking that he is unlikeable is absurd. If you dont like it, dont watch it, imo

Here, let me give you a quote from my (admittedly) long post, because you seem to have skimmed.

QUOTE (Jayl3w @ Nov 13 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He comes across as an attention-seeking douche, and it's intentional on his part.

See the italics? It's just a fact, it's a part of the character he portrays to be an unlikable douche, and it's a
very effective path to follow. I mean, hell, Paris Hilton has been doing it for years while making obscene
amounts of money, so it's not like nobody is going to watch just because he's an annoying douche, some
people, like yourself, happen to like it and that's fine.

Doesn't change what he is though, just means some people like that kind of douchebaggery. Sort of like
how Yahtzee (from ZP, another popular game-centric show) makes an effort to seem like a HUGE douche
at times, but it's as funny as it is annoying (if you're willing to laugh at it, anyways).

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
He is trying to come across as an arrogant bastard in his show, and yeah OK i was thinking before i was speaking again, i suppose he is meant to be unlikeable. I still find him as funny as fuck to watch though ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users