Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Age: Origins

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
  • xfire:AdeptEG
  • Gamer Army ID:2576
Dragon Age: Origins

Really looking forward to this, personally.

Dragon Age: Origins will be the next big title from BioWare, creators of Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, Star Wars: KOTOR, and Mass Effect. It is described as a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate while also reinventing the fantasy RPG genre, taking elements from BG and renovating upon them in a high-tech system while putting lots of new mechanics in.

This is not D&D; rather it's a brand new setting created entirely by Bioware with a new rule system. The story is described as a "dark heroic fantasy" and will take influences from George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, among others. "An epic tale of lust, violence, and betrayal" that takes place in a gigantic world (said to be over twice the size and scope of Mass Effect) where death is lurking just around every corner.

The Darkspawn, a race of demonic beings usually residing deep beneath the surface of the earth, are emerging in massive waves - a rare event known as a Blight, the first one in generations. "The survival of humanity rests in the hands of those chosen by fate. You are a Grey Warden, one of the last of an ancient order of guardians who have defended the lands throughout the centuries. Betrayed by a trusted general in a critical battle, you must hunt down the traitor and bring him to justice."

One of the cool new things in DA:O is the Origin stories. Upon character creation, the player selects one from six possible Origins for the character. That Origin represents who your character is, where he or she comes from, their station in the world, exactly how you joined the Grey Wardens and more. You then get to play out your Origin, a sequence that serves as the introduction to the game and takes place in the first couple of hours of gameplay or so, during which you will be faced with many important decisions that will drastically affect your experience throughout the entire game. The possible Origins are very diverse and as such in one playthrough your experience may be very different from the next; for example, NPC's will treat you with respect if you play a human, but may instead treat you with disdain or even near-hostility if you play an elf (elves are considered second-class citizens in human lands in the world of DA:O).

The six origins are: Human Noble, City Elf, Dwarf Commoner, Dwarf Noble, Mage, and Dalish Elf. Each Origin will start in a different location appropriate to it: a Dwarf Noble will start as a member or a royal family, but a Dwarf Commoner may start on the streets. During your Origin introduction you will meet important characters who will return later on in the game, some of whom as adversaries.

DA:O is also said to have the most powerful facial customization tool Bioware has created to date.

Unlike previous BioWare games there is no tracking of alignment at all; neither is there a sense of clear "good" and clear "evil", the developers explicitly put emphasis on staying smack in the middle of the "morally gray" area. BioWare promises lots of difficult choices that carry significant consequences, including changing the world around you, and possibly even turning your own party against you.

Combat will draw a lot from Baldur's Gate; players may view the world from a top-down "tactical" angle like in BG, and pause whenever they like to issue orders, like in every other Bioware game; but they may also zoom in for a closer look and manage things from there.

Another cool thing to look for is the spell combos. Magic is powerful in the world of DA:O and spells may even be used in synergy with one another to create new and special effects. Cast a Grease spell on enemies to create a thick layer of oily muck to slow them down, then set it all ablaze with a quick Fire spell; cast Tornado to create a sudden storm in the middle of the room, then charge it up with some Lightning spells to send bolts everywhere, creating a violent twisting thunderstorm. These are separate spells that may be used in combinations; there are many, many hidden combos waiting to be discovered.

BioWare will include a developer-grade toolset with the game (the same one they're using to create it), which will allow modders and builders to create and publish their own adventures, like in NWN (although unlike NWN, DA:O is a single-player-only game). This toolset is shaping up to be an incredible tool, and Bioware is planning on extensive DLC to continue on upgrading and adding to it in the future.

DA:O is coming up this October. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by Caelumeg, 09 November 2009 - 03:41 PM.

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
BUMP. Aw come on. I can't believe no one here is looking forward to this one.

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
  • Company:Gamma
I'm looking forward to it; from what I've seen in the previews and such it looks like it could be one of BioWare's best yet.

Although, they did say that it would be better than Baldur's Gate 2....chyeah, right!

Dark Ainur

Dark Ainur
  • GA Private
  • 435 posts
  • xfire:DarkAinur
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
  • Gamer Army ID:2092
  • Company:Gamma
Looks good. I'll give it a go.

Kadjel

Kadjel

I fought with honour!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,183 posts
  • xfire:Kadjel
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Looks nice, I'm looking forward to give it a try icon_biggrin.gif
Wuggles for everyone!

Stadix

Stadix
  • GA Private
  • 25 posts
  • xfire:stadix
  • Gamer Army ID:753
I am eagerly waiting on this to be released as well, it should be really good.

DeSTRoYeR661

DeSTRoYeR661
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:Games, Hardware, Software
I've been looking for more SP RPG's to play lately. Hopefully this will live up to BG2 and succeed.

Click the sig for the best blog going.
#purepwnagetbh

Fenyx

Fenyx

Best crap contributor '09

• Retired Staff
  • 1,346 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:EmeraldTide
  • Gamer Army ID:838
FUCK.

TO THE.

YES.

Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2? Baldur's Gate 2 was the most amazing RPG ever created. If it's even half as good as BG2 and done in the same style with the same game mechanics I'll shit a fucking log.

Where have I been, I can't believe I have been missing out on this for so long.

Edit:

I knew this was too good to be true. Poked around a bit on their site.

This whole origins thing seemed cool, but it looks like the 'character creation' is going to lean more towards the way they did things in the console versions (Read: Shit versions) of Baldur's Gate. AKA, you pick a pre-designed character with pre-designed skill sets and play them.

Garbage.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
I made a topic about this game.

On Feb 7 2006...

COME OUT ALREADY!!!! icon_sad.gif
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

Fenyx

Fenyx

• Retired Staff
  • 1,346 posts
http://www.kotaku.co...dragon_age.html

Good read on High or Low fantasy in Dragon Age.

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
QUOTE (Fenyx @ Mar 31 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FUCK.

TO THE.

YES.

Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate 2? Baldur's Gate 2 was the most amazing RPG ever created. If it's even half as good as BG2 and done in the same style with the same game mechanics I'll shit a fucking log.

Where have I been, I can't believe I have been missing out on this for so long.

Edit:

I knew this was too good to be true. Poked around a bit on their site.

This whole origins thing seemed cool, but it looks like the 'character creation' is going to lean more towards the way they did things in the console versions (Read: Shit versions) of Baldur's Gate. AKA, you pick a pre-designed character with pre-designed skill sets and play them.

Garbage.

Actually they say the character creation system is the most customizable they have created yet.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
The spell combo system sounds pro as heck. You cast an ice spell at some sap and freeze him. Then you cast Stoneform on yourself and turn your fists into rock. Then you punch the dude and he shatters to pieces. If you run into a bunch of guys you cast Grease on the ground and they all get stuck and move hella slow. Then you drop a fireball and it goes FSHOOOM and ignites that whole mothefucker.

Gonna ooooooown
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

Fenyx

Fenyx

• Retired Staff
  • 1,346 posts
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Apr 3 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The spell combo system sounds pro as heck. You cast an ice spell at some sap and freeze him. Then you cast Stoneform on yourself and turn your fists into rock. Then you punch the dude and he shatters to pieces. If you run into a bunch of guys you cast Grease on the ground and they all get stuck and move hella slow. Then you drop a fireball and it goes FSHOOOM and ignites that whole mothefucker.

Gonna ooooooown

This sounds ridiculously awesome icon_biggrin.gif.

Bioware, thank you for bringing Magic characters back into the spot light. Tired of all these games with shitty magic systems. Mages are suppose to pwn hard.

Caelumeg, any links? Believe me that's good to hear, it just seems that way I suppose from the way they were showing it. If I can make a mage whose customizable then I'll be happy. I do not want to have to play some skanky female mage just 'cause.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
The official FAQ says

Players will be able to customize the appearance of their character using the most detailed facial customization tool BioWare has created to date. Players can also choose their character’s race, gender, and class. They will also choose their character’s point of origin and backstory. Continued customization choices open up as the character gains levels.

The character class things is interesting. When you make the dude you pick a Warrior, Rogue or Mage. Then as you level up you can advance into paragon paths like a Warrior can become a Crusader or a Rogue can become a Bard (hell yes) etc. Each class has 4 different paths they can take I think.

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Apr 5 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The official FAQ says

The character class things is interesting. When you make the dude you pick a Warrior, Rogue or Mage. Then as you level up you can advance into paragon paths like a Warrior can become a Crusader or a Rogue can become a Bard (hell yes) etc. Each class has 4 different paths they can take I think.

You beat me to it icon_razz.gif

I could not be anticipating this game any more than I already am. I already ordered the prequel novel, too icon_biggrin.gif /fanboy

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
How can you be a fan of something that hasn't been made yet?

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Apr 5 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How can you be a fan of something that hasn't been made yet?

Yeah I was kidding, not speaking literally. But I am a big Bioware fan though, they made some of my favorite games ever. This game looks amazing and I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

Let's hope it lives up to the hype, eh?

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
The origins concept is interesting, hopefully it works out well.

Fenyx

Fenyx

• Retired Staff
  • 1,346 posts
Ah thanks for the inf Pwnstar. Haven't bothered to dig up the site properly. In fact I haven't done that with a game in a long long time but oh well.

Well now that all that is out of the way I can go back to being excited icon_biggrin.gif.

So long as it comes anywhere near BG I think we'll be alright. I've got faith in Bioware, they've made a lot of solid games.

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts

I've been eagerly waiting for this icon_biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users