Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dragon Age: Origins

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

Fasckira

Fasckira

For I am justice lol.

• Retired Staff
  • 12,574 posts
  • xfire:fascuk
  • Steam ID:withoutlife
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fasckira
  • Wii:1428896709853094
  • Rofl-Rupees:1337
  • Gamer Army ID:107
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (Caelumeg @ Apr 8 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been eagerly waiting for this icon_biggrin.gif

Bugger, for a moment there I thought you were holding the actual game. icon_razz.gif

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
  • xfire:cipher5006
  • PSN:Kithlan
Like most Bioware games, I'm sure this game will piss me off with a silent protagonist.

I hate silent protagonists

Edited by TheShadowNinja, 19 April 2009 - 02:03 AM.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

JESUS CHRIST I AM SO FUCKING DRUNK!

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:150
  • Company:Nu
The protagonist will be able to talk but will also be silent yeah.
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
  • xfire:AdeptEG
  • Gamer Army ID:2576
QUOTE (TheShadowNinja @ Apr 19 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like most Bioware games, I'm sure this game will piss me off with a silent protagonist.

I hate silent protagonists

Silent as in, Gordon Freeman or Crono-silent? Or just not voiced like they did in Mass Effect? Cause like 99% of RPG protagonists are "silent" like that. icon_razz.gif

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
QUOTE (Caelumeg @ Apr 20 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Silent as in, Gordon Freeman or Crono-silent? Or just not voiced like they did in Mass Effect? Cause like 99% of RPG protagonists are "silent" like that. icon_razz.gif

Not voiced, such as KOTOR's.

It just particularly bothers me in Bioware's games because they usually have such long and detailed responses and it feels dumb holding a one-sided conversation.

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
Turn the sound off then! laugh.gif
What came first, the spamming or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids reading thousands, literally thousands of posts about anime, 4chan, flaming, goatse and emos. Did I make terrible posts because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I made terrible posts?

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ Apr 20 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Turn the sound off then! laugh.gif

icon_neutral.gif

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
Well both of you talk, your guy says whatever from a list of choices and the other guy responds to the choices with voiced responses. If it annoys you that only the other guy talks then just tun off the sound. Then its retro!

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
Well the point of not making the protagonist voiced in this game was that it would have severely limited character customization. In Mass Effect, no matter how you play him/her, Commander Shepard is still Commander Shepard; here, you can mix not just the gender and attitude of your character, but the race, profession, the whole background... These would also require different dialects and accents... They just couldn't record a single voice for all the possibilities of who the player character could be.

Fasckira

Fasckira

For I am justice lol.

• Retired Staff
  • 12,574 posts
  • xfire:fascuk
  • Steam ID:withoutlife
  • Xbox / GFWL:Fasckira
  • Wii:1428896709853094
  • Rofl-Rupees:1337
  • Gamer Army ID:107
When its your character's dialogue, speak it out loud yourself - it is a role-playing game after all....

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2492
Caelumeg (or anyone else who's read it), how's the novel? I'm wondering whether or not I should get it

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
QUOTE (Xayun @ Apr 22 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Caelumeg (or anyone else who's read it), how's the novel? I'm wondering whether or not I should get it

I don't have as much time to read it as I'd like, so I'm only a bit over a quarter through it (it's 400 pages even), but so far I'm definitely enjoying it, it's already done a good job of introducing you into the world. It provides a lot more insight into mostly everything I've read on their site.

I don't want to post a verdict on it till I'm done though. I'll let you know when I finish it icon_wink.gif

Caelumeg

Caelumeg
  • GA Private
  • 777 posts
QUOTE (Xayun @ Apr 22 2009, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I finally finished it, and I can wholeheartedly say, yes, it is definitely worth the read.

After a phenomenal opening sequence I have to admit there was somewhat of a drop for a bit, but it builds back up, and it continues on great.

Bioware stated they took inspiration from George Martin's ASOIAF series, and it is very apparent. There is a strong emphasis on political intrigue in the story - this isn't D&D at all, people - and while it doesn't go to lengths to elaborate on the different noble families like in A Game of Thrones, the world would feel very familiar if you read Martin's works, I think. It's also very clear David Gaider (the author and lead writer of the game) made a strong effort to make the world mature and often particularly violent, with many very descriptively gory scenes. I don't think it's quite as downright grim as Ice & Fire, but if you're hoping for bloody battles you won't be disappointed, there are bloodbaths aplenty. They're spraying blood like it's confetti in this book, heh.

The story follows the rebellions that take place in Ferelden before the events of the game (some 20 years or so, I believe?), led by Prince Maric and Teyrn Loghain, that are glimpsed upon in the "Characters" page in the game's website, and it tactfully explains over the course of its 400 pages on most aspects of the world that are only briefly touched in the site. The lead characters aren't groundbreakingly unique, however; they are mostly easily recognizable archetypes that we've already seen before... There's the naive but charismatic prince charming and the polar opposite, silent, antisocial, introverted, practical, brooding dark warrior; there's the beautiful female warrior who's all tough on the outside but hides a softer core, and the equally gorgeous femme fatale who is actually far less helpless (and far more dangerous) than she appears... But the real focus of the story (and this is where the book truly shines) is the wonderfully written interactions between those characters, the friendly banter between Maric and Loghain, the romances, the personal, gradual journies they make through the war, and the way these people develop. The characters aren't unique at the core, but they are handled with such charm and with so much personality, and often with some pure wit, that it doesn't ever bother you. There are so many emotional moments that make you care for these people, right down to the touching ending, and some of them are real gold. Gaider did a wonderful job there.

The book definitely left me eager for more. If you're looking for a good read, and especially if you're interested in the game, I'd definitely recommend it.

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts

Ahahahahahahahaha

MasterEvz

MasterEvz
  • Members
  • 1,667 posts
  • xfire:MasterEvz
  • Interests:Gaming, Movies and Music.
  • Steam ID:MasterEvz
  • Xbox / GFWL:MasterEvz
  • PSN:Evz313
QUOTE (Pwnstar @ May 10 2009, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, reminded me of a trailer of an action pack movie like 300

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
What the fuck?

TheShadowNinja

TheShadowNinja
  • Members
  • 5,200 posts
Action movie trailer?

TheShadowNinja
Crap IT Security

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
WTB gameplay video

Pwnstar

Pwnstar

• Retired Staff
  • 8,872 posts
QUOTE (DarkKitchen @ May 11 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WTB gameplay video

http://www.youtube.c...re=channel_page

Xayun

Xayun

Wisest Poster '09

• GA Private
  • 2,732 posts
Ahhhh....that's better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users