Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[pc/ps3/360] Dead Space

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918

A different species of survival horror.

Story
In 2414, humans have used up all the resources that Earth has to offer. High class "Planet cracker" ships have been created for the purpose of mining resources out of (mostly) uninhabitable planets, the company is called C.E.C.. A distress signal is recieved from the Planet Cracker "Ishimura", and the C.E.C sends 5 employees. One of the employees is a highly skilled engineer, the player character; Isaac Clarke.

They crash-land into the Ishimura, hoping someone on the ship can help repair their now busted shuttle. Soon after going in, they are attacked by unkown monsters (presumably the ships crew) and the fight to get off the ship and survive begins.

Now, this game has a lot of horror story cliches, and by "a lot," I mean it. But the difference is that this game pulls off every single one of those cliches excellently. It portrays the cult styled religion perfectly, how the virus works is explained, but there are enough mysteries to keep you second guessing, the mental anguish the characters suffer is very believable, etc. Even the ending is cliched, but I promise you won't see it coming.

There is also a lot of backstory in the game, explained in logs obtained thruought the game. A comic series (6 issues) was released before the game, explaining the events that lead up to the Ishimura going to hell. And a movie that covers the events of the Ishimura as it is going to hell. A viral website also exists that has story bits that take place in the Dead Space universe.

It's just so well written, you can't not love it. Oh, and there are a lot of in-game subliminal messages to find. They all pertain to the game tho, no "hail satan."

Story: 10/10

Gameplay

The main gameplay of this game is epic.
Movement is very fluid. You can walk or run in any direction, you can even run backwards. Aside from running, you also have the same movement options while you are aiming your gun.

Which leads to combat. This isn't your typical zombie outbreak, shoot them in the head and they die sort of thing. To be honest, you can blast their heads off and there is a good chance they will keep coming anyways. Enough ammo to the head/chest will kill them, but it's an extreme waste of ammo. To kill them quickly and efficiently, you need to dismember them. You can also melee them, punch them several times in the face, or stomp them while they're on the ground.

But the weaponry will be your main tool of dismemberment. And by tool, I mean that literally, all but one of the weapons you get are "engineer tools." Plasma cutter, contact beam, and the ripper are good examples. The ripper itself fires a circular saw blade a yard and a half in front of you, holding it in place wherever you are aiming for a brief time. One problem tho, is that if you carry more than 1 gun (up to 4) then you get equally the same amount of ammo drops for each weapon in your inventory. So if you use one weapon 90% of the time, you'll end up having massive overstock for the weapons you rarely use, and lacking ammo for the weapon you prefer. Swapping between weapons is as easy as a button press tho.
Other than weapons, you also get two suit upgrades early in the game, required for solving puzzles, but also good in combat.
The stasis module allows you to slow down fast objects/enemies, and the kinesis module lets you move/fling objects.

There is an in-game shop to buy/sell several things, ammo, medpacks, new suits/weapons, etc. The shop only starts out with a few items, and you find schematics so that it can offer new things. Another area similar to the store, is called the "bench." Hear, you use power nodes collected/bought in the game to upgrade your suit and your weapons. Some weapons start out horribly weak, which is especially noticeable in later chapters. But once they are upgraded, you will really love their usefulness. Also, when you fully upgrade a weapon the firing animation changes, I'm pretty sure it's just cosmetic tho.

Several types of enemies will attack you thruought the game, each one taking a completely different type of strategy to kill. Of course, dismemberment is always the best way to kill anything, but not every enemy has the same limbs. With all the enemies also comes several different ways to die in this game, some are quite gruesome. One enemy, a severed head moving around on tiny tentacles, will kill you by decapitation. After your head is gone, it will shove it's tentacles down your throat and walk off with your body, acting as your new head.

All of the gruesome detail in this game adds to the extreme amount of detail put into the game's graphics. This is the most beautiful game I have ever played (in a sick, twisted way). The gore is highly realistic, along with the lighting, texture detail, etc. The only thing I found wrong with the graphics is that mirrors don't reflect, for some odd reason.
Another amazing thing with the graphics, is that there is no HUD. All of the menus and such come from your suit, visible as you play the game.

Your health is represented by lights going down your spine, ammo count is portrayed as a hologram behind the weapon, and inventory/map/etc. menus pop up as a hologram coming from your suit. This is not only visually impressive, but it also adds to the horror atmosphere, you can't just hide in your inventory menu until your ready again to face the monsters icon_razz.gif One problem is, if you don't have a decent sized HDTV (no SD) you're going to have problems reading the text in the menus. This is extremely painful when you're trying to read the story logs you've found.

As I said, the main gameplay is epic, with maybe a few minor problems here or there. Oh, and there's a really shitty cannon part, not really any good way to describe it other than "it's shitty." It's a small part tho, and doesn't affect the rest of the gameplay.

Gameplay: 9.5/10

Sound

This game was made for surround sound.
Voice acting is superb, and the emotions the actors give to the voices fit what the characters are going thru.
The atmospheric sounds keep the horror feel of the game going, you'll often hear enemies scurrying thru the vents, even if there aren't any attacking you at the moment. You'll hear whispering, singing, screaming, any kind of horrific sound you can imagine. On a constant basis too.

There are some areas with really loud noises going on, ship engines, asteroids bashing the ships exterior, a monster roaring, and more. But there are areas where you enter a "vacuum," and you hear next to nothing. The silence is really eery. Most of the time, when Isaac sees an enemy, scary battle music will play. It doesn't play, however, when one is sneaking up behind you and you don't know it's there, back attacks happen often.

It's really hard to explain the amount of work they put into the sound. I can't just go into detail about every little sound made, there are so many, and done so well.
Basically, it will horrify you.

Sound: 10/10

Conclusion
I already said this was the most beautiful game I have ever played, and the best sound work put into a game.
But this is also the scariest, most intense game I have ever played, and I've played 90% of existing "horror" games out there.

While the game has a few flaws, they pale in comparison to the things that make the game great. It is a must buy, hands down.

Overall: 9.8/10

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 10:40 PM.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
Well written review bloodvanye.

To everyone else looking for more input on dead space check out my take on the game:

http://forums.purepw...showtopic=82797

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
One enemy, a severed head moving around on tiny tentacles, will kill you by decapitation. After your head is gone, it will shove it's tentacles down your throat and walk off with your body, acting as your new head.

WTF.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Pulled-Over {DUI} (dead acct)

Pulled-Over {DUI} (dead acct)
  • Banned
  • 74 posts
Oh shit! I didnt even know this was out yet.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 23 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well written review, but I completely disagree with the score you gave it.

From what I've played already and heard others complaining about is that this game suffers from backtracking, which surprisingly you didn't bring up in your Review. With backtracking can come repetitiveness, which depending on the player can drastically lower the amount of fun they will get out of the game. Some may find that blasting your way through the same rooms can get boring, BUT arguably that is what the game does best.

I would have also liked to see you cover the "zero-gravity" events that take place in the game. Camera angles during those sequences hurt the game, you can't deny it.

other than that from the amount i've played i'd still probably agree that this game is around a 9.0-9.1 and yes the graphics are fantastic icon_smile.gif

Keep in mind that this is a little premature of me to judge, and you have a better understand of the game overall, but those were some things I would have liked to seen covered in the review, and IMO think lowers the overall score of the game.

Yeah, there are some things I want to add/cover more of, I'll get around to it later, I did this review last night and I was kinda tired, I got down all I could think (which was quite a lot).
Anything I have to add is purely praise tho icon_smile.gif

But you don't do a lot of backtracking. Some chapters happen in the same areas, but they have new rooms open, and a lot of the old rooms have drastically changed in how you get thru them, and what happens in them. The game never felt repetitive for me at all.
The horror feel did get a bit tedious on the final level or two, since you're used to all of the enemies by then, but they make up for that by rushing 50x more enemies on you than they do in the rest of the game, so the action stays alive.

And "blasting your way thru the same rooms" is one of the things that keeps you on edge thru the whole game, it's extremely rare for you to feel safe in this game, compared to other survival horrors where there are usually "safe" rooms.
You can be in the middle of saving your game, just to get done and have a necromorph trying to slash you to pieces.

And how do camera angles hurt the game in zero gravity? The camera stays behind you, or wherever you turn it, just like it does when you aren't in zero gravity. Yes, it can really make you dizzy, and make you second guess where you are, but I thought that was kind of the point for these areas icon_razz.gif

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
I see, looking forward to finishing this game.

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 24 2008, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see, looking forward to finishing this game.

When the fuck did you play this. You probably read the review on IGN which is be all end all for you.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Sethasstor @ Oct 24 2008, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the fuck did you play this. You probably read the review on IGN which is be all end all for you.

Its call PC

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
thanks to this review i'll pick it up next paycheck, thanks icon_razz.gif

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
Played it about an hour so far on PC with xbox controller, pretty fun game.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
Just some things I'd like to add to this after playing through more of the game.

-For PC gamers thinking of purchasing the PC version, the X360 controller is compatible with it (Greatly helps controls)

-The graphics are indeed FANTASTIC in this game

-Game is designed/programmed very well, I can run the game on high with a 8800GTS 320MB vid card at 1680x1050

-This game is a horror, but I find it to be less scary then I thought

-The destination marker is a very welcome tool in the game, it really makes it easy to find your way around to your next objective. Especially in a ship like that, with lots of corridors, it really helps

-The game's presentation is well done, atmosphere is very well implemented.

-Loading screens are non-exsistant, they mask loading so well in this game, you'd never think twice about it.

you can expect an "another take" from me in the next few days, commenting on how I felt playing this game, but what I can say forsure is that this game is great and if your deciding weather or not to pick it up - the answer is YES. icon_smile.gif

Lord Panzerfaust

Lord Panzerfaust

Best Music Contributor

• GA Private
  • 3,013 posts
  • xfire:lordpanzerfaust
  • Interests:just gaming and music :P
  • Steam ID:lordpanzerfaust666
  • Xbox / GFWL:Age Ov DooM
  • PSN:LordPanzerfaust
  • Gamer Army ID:3878
  • Company:Pi
ugh! another game to add to my list...all these great games coming out at once makes my wallet sad.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Lord Panzerfaust @ Oct 24 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ugh! another game to add to my list...all these great games coming out at once makes my wallet sad.

I wouldn't worry. This game is great, but it's one of those games you can skip and if you have the time/money come back to it later. If you weren't planning on buying it before, maybe you should just stick to what you were going to buy, and once your done with that and there's a draught of games pick up Dead Space.

Also this game reminds me greatly of when I played Doom 3, its kind of got the same style if you know what I mean.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 25 2008, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also this game reminds me greatly of when I played Doom 3, its kind of got the same style if you know what I mean.

I didn't really like Doom 3

Altho I didn't really find it that scary either...

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
fuck sakes, steam doesn't sell this game!

ugh, EB games i go then....

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Lowkee @ Oct 25 2008, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fuck sakes, steam doesn't sell this game!

ugh, EB games i go then....

http://www.direct2drive.com/

icon_smile.gif

Lt ledhead

Lt ledhead
  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • xfire:ledhead93
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lt ledhead
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Damn dude, excellent review. Really didnt look into this game much but will rent or borrow for sure.

liquidicevi

liquidicevi
  • Members
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Games, people, life.
  • PSN:Liquid_Ice_VI
Good review, wish i had surround sound icon_sad.gif.

Idk I don't mind the backtracking. Can get a little annoying but it adds to the fear a little cause you think you've cleared an area but a big thing comes outta no where to kill you. Though at the same time there is a fair bit of it.

1a_zps7e591386.jpg

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
i just put the poison in the filtration system; i got further but i died then went to sleep so im not as far as i was

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users