Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[n64] Banjo-tooie

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485

Banjo-Tooie
Developed by Rare
Released in 2000

INTRODUCTION
Of all the great games I missed out on in my ten years of having a Nintendo 64, the game I've regretfully procrastinated the most with
is Banjo-Tooie. For reasons unknown to me, I never bought the sequel to one of my most cherished games of all time, and it was only
until a little more than a month ago that I got myself a copy. Playing through the game was a blast, and I was hit with a huge wave of
excitement and nostalgia I can associate only with holding that W-shaped controller in my hand.

It's games like Tooie that make me shameful of the direction that technology and video games took. All of the attempts to improve
graphics, physics, and other effects seem to have made developers lose sight of what really makes an amazing game. The kids & nooblets I
hear mocking a game for its poor graphics (and praising one with great visuals) have my pity. Although there were some excellent games
released within the past few years, nothing can compare to gems and classics like these.

Enough of my depressing post-nostalgic rants, on to the review. icon_smile.gif

STORY & CHARACTERS
One of the shining features of the game is the improvements and additions to the story and character elements of the game. Banjo's
character as the innocent, but eager bear, and Kazooie as the impatient, loud-mouthed, and fast-witted bird. Characters who couldn't be
more different from each other being found together as witch-dueling companions can be described as nothing else but completely charming.

The story begins when Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo, and Bottles are playing a (not very legitimate) game of poker, and Grunty's two sisters come
to release her from the rock she was trapped under. After leaving her ditch skin-less and weak, she attempts to attack Banjo & Kazooie.
Instead, Bottles gets hit and killed the cross-fire, and the dynamic duo seek to get revenge. Little time passes before they learn of the
witches' other fiendish plans...

VISUALS & AUDIO
Like the previous game in the series, the graphics and design are as good as any N64 Rare game gets. Each level is unique, memorable,
and a load of fun to beat. Like Banjo-Kazooie, the magnitude and detail commonly exceed that of the console's capacity, and frame-rate
takes huge dives when you look towards a vast expanse of land. Usually, the sheer quality of the game brings my impressions past these
flaws, but some challenges that are timed become increasingly difficult because of choppy visuals.

The music that is beautifully paired up with each level is unforgettable and brilliantly written. Of the many great aspects that the
game offered, the music and sound were one of the segments I anticipated the most. Each level's theme introduced a different environment
and mood, which really made each level a blast to play through. A really interesting addition was that the overworld (Isle O' Hags) had
a single melody, but varying instruments and themes introduced each area in a different way.

My favourite tracks:
1. Glitter Gulch Mine
2. Hailfire Peaks (Lava Side)
3. Atlantis

GAMEPLAY
Although the game is very similar to the the previous game in the series, there are a few significant differences. The most significant
of them all is the transition to the idea of connected worlds. Banjo-Kazooie introduced each level as an isolated area, affecting only
the world inside, and commonly, the over-world neighbouring it. In Tooie, however, some puzzles and challenges will require you to complete
tasks in other levels. Although the idea of a massive, connected world is appealing (as well as entertaining), it requires a lot of running
back and forth, which make strike some as just plain tedious.

Another great addition to the game was the ability to split up and play as Banjo or Kazooie individually. Prior to owning the game, I
expected the split to be on account of a dramatic argument -- to my disappointment, you step on a pad and press A. The ability to
separate adds to the variety of puzzles, and allows for some intuitive challenges as well.

The only complaint I really have about the game is the difficulty of achieving 100% status. Looking for the final Cheato Page, I
regretfully stooped to the low level of looking up a guide. Mind you, I spent more than 9 hours in the level looking for it, only to learn
it was in a secluded area I probably wouldn't have figured out was there for another 4 hours.

OVERALL
The game is a great sequel, and makes an excellent addition to the series. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it surpasses Kazooie, but
it's definitely a worthy successor. If you enjoyed Kazooie, I recommend playing through Tooie at least once. In an industry highly
populated by generic rehashes of existing games, it's good to experience some of the games that fill us with nothing but bliss and joy.
I'd recommend emulating the game (if you have a controller for your PC), or wait for the Xbox Live Arcade version to be released, simply
because of the hardware-software issues. After all, a great game like this should be experienced with as few flaws as possible. icon_wink.gif

Looking forward to seeing what Nuts & Bolts will bring to the series.

Amazing: 9.5/10

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 10:41 PM.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
Nice review, you hit some good points.

I just have to complain about your rating system though. Just because you think one persons 9/10 is a 6/10 doesn't really justify why you shouldn't use a number rating system (or a % system).

You can most accurately judge a games full spectrum of fun/design/story etc from a number. Weather you express it as 9.5 or 95%

With your current rating system, I feel like you could most likely give games that are a 7.5 or 8.0 an "amazing" rating. But when I get the game it may not feel as good as foretold in your review.

I know I am nit picky, but you should consider changing your review scale back to numbers. You can make each number equal words though, if that will further justify your cause (ie. 9.0 = Amazing")

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 9 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With your current rating system, I feel like you could most likely give games that are a 7.5 or 8.0 an "amazing" rating. But when I get the game it may not feel as good as foretold in your review.

Well, my point is that the content of my review should be used to justify whether or not you should buy the game or not. Even if I don't give a percentage, the review should give you a good idea of what I'd give it. I mean, when you ask a friend if a game is good, do you say, "What would you give it out of 10?" I doubt it; you'll ask or be told what's good, what's bad, and the overall impression.

I guess I'll give it a rating, but I don't agree that it's a good system.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Oct 9 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, my point is that the content of my review should be used to justify whether or not you should buy the game or not. Even if I don't give a percentage, the review should give you a good idea of what I'd give it. I mean, when you ask a friend if a game is good, do you say, "What would you give it out of 10?" I doubt it; you'll ask or be told what's good, what's bad, and the overall impression.

I guess I'll give it a rating, but I don't agree that it's a good system.

Yes but your biggest flaw with the thinking is that most people cant be bothered to real the whole review. A lot of times people just glace at the number you give it and rate it on that. Or they read the closing comments and the number.

A number is the best way to give a rating, trust me.

K0RRUPTED

K0RRUPTED
  • GA Private
  • 2,415 posts
  • xfire:guildwarsfreak
  • Interests:Infamous? Yussss :&gt;
  • Gamer Army ID:382
Fucking outstanding game. Long term fan of Rare and the BK series.

Nice review too, Jeng. Loved some of the points you hit at. Personally, I loved how the worlds connected in Banjo-Tooie. It just gave me more of an overall accomplished feeling if I did something connected to another world when I played through the game. Splitting up was a nice cool feature too, excluding some of the annoying controls with just one character at times. Really nice job though icon_wink.gif
QUOTE (StrykerGamer @ Aug 3 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's rather simple. K0RRUPTED is the smartest 15-year-old in existence and is fucking with all of us.
Or he's Gillz's younger brother.

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
Love this fucking game, i think i've 100% this one twice and kazooie about 5-6 times

some dude

some dude
  • Members
  • 2,265 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:kumarricon
fuck you

now i wanna play it again, but it looks like shit on my tv

arah3y0121212222

performance and adrenaline = no boner.
It's the equivalent of trying to get a hard on with 20 old people standing around you with notepads and watching you intently. It just doesn't happen.

delta_vanguard

delta_vanguard
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • PSN:delta_vanguard2
has anyone else noticed how all rareware games have declined in quality since they left nintendo? games like perfect dark, goldeneye, jet force gemini. we will never have games like this again. perfect dark zero is nowhere near as good as the original. i fear nuts and bolts will face the same fate.

p.s does anyone remember conkers bad fur day? it was another classic to receive an ill-fated xbox sequel.

P.P.S.

game developers have to remember that good graphics do not mean good gameplay.

delta_vanguard

delta_vanguard
  • Members
  • 171 posts
also. i'm sure any real gamer would prefer a game without top-of-the-line super hd graphics as long as it played like one of those classics. i'd actually prefer graphics like the n64.

that is all.

(i ran out of room on my other post. hence the new one)

end transmission.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
QUOTE (delta_vanguard @ Oct 11 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also. i'm sure any real gamer would prefer a game without top-of-the-line super hd graphics as long as it played like one of those classics. i'd actually prefer graphics like the n64.

that is all.

(i ran out of room on my other post. hence the new one)

end transmission.

So if they remade Banjo Kazooie, keeping the ENTIRE game the exact same EXCEPT making the graphics next gen, you wouldn't prefer the graphically updated one?

delta_vanguard

delta_vanguard
  • Members
  • 171 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Oct 12 2008, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if they remade Banjo Kazooie, keeping the ENTIRE game the exact same EXCEPT making the graphics next gen, you wouldn't prefer the graphically updated one?

if they kept the gameplay EXACTLY the same, and updated the graphics without destroying them. i would play it.

my point is. how awesome would ocarina of time be with twilight princess graphics

some dude

some dude
  • Members
  • 2,265 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:kumarricon
QUOTE (delta_vanguard @ Oct 11 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if they kept the gameplay EXACTLY the same, and updated the graphics without destroying them. i would play it.

my point is. how awesome would ocarina of time be with twilight princess graphics

i would jerk off to that

srsly.
performance and adrenaline = no boner.
It's the equivalent of trying to get a hard on with 20 old people standing around you with notepads and watching you intently. It just doesn't happen.

ATx 4 Life

ATx 4 Life
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • xfire:ATx
  • Xbox / GFWL:ATx I Pwnstar
QUOTE (delta_vanguard @ Oct 11 2008, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
has anyone else noticed how all rareware games have declined in quality since they left nintendo? games like perfect dark, goldeneye, jet force gemini. we will never have games like this again. perfect dark zero is nowhere near as good as the original. i fear nuts and bolts will face the same fate.

p.s does anyone remember conkers bad fur day? it was another classic to receive an ill-fated xbox sequel.

Live and Reloaded was amazing. One of the most unique multiplayer games out there. each level had its own story, it was awesome to play the objective of it or just play deathmatch. plus each class had unlockables and stuff that didnt make them overpowered or anything. I can remember trying to play halo after being a sneaker for hours on end and trying to jump with the left thumbstick... good times

Anyhow...
good review i think im gunna get it on xbla.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users