Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
I have heard from alot of people about karma this and that. I understand that it's basically, things come back to get you, if you're basically good, basically good things happen to you. If you're bad, bad things happen to you. Honestly, I don't believe in karma, but I believe that the effect behind the name is true. Instead of saying karma, I would rather say common sense. If you commit a murder, of course that will come back to get you. If you're a good person and you help people, of course good things are bound to happen to you. People who are nice generally have nice things happen to them. (Not 100% of the time of course and not nearly as often, but the odds of good things happening are incredibly greater if you're an asshole robber)

I guess my main thoughts about karma is it's not super natural or anything like that, it's just cause and effect. What are your thoughts and opinions on karma?
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Matas

Matas

SQUAD ONE - Team Member

• Members
  • 1,993 posts
  • Interests:Science <br />Music<br />poontang clan aint nothin to fuck with
Exactly what I would have said, cause and effect (most of the time). There's always exceptions of course, but I don't believe it's anything supernatural.
Freshly Cut - www.myspace.com/freshlycutmusic

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Karma is purely religious. Your basically asking a question akin to "is there a god?".

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
Karma is part of the Buddhist religion.

Contrary to popular belief, the objective is not to be in good or bad karma, but to remove yourself from Karma. A perfect balance of good and bad karma is the key to unlocking Nirvana, in there eyes.

Karma only exists to people who believe in it.

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
i don't think cause and effect is the best wording, but that's what I think as well. When I do nice things to p30ple3, i r da pwnage. lol seriously, if i do good things, people recognize that and i get free stuff icon_biggrin.gif... like food, and money, and other stuff that they don't need, like hardware.

Lipid

Lipid
  • Members
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Literature, music, poker and media.
I only correlate with cause and effect, not by some silly superstition.
Clevel girl...

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
QUOTE (Lipid @ Oct 5 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you're suggesting that karma is actually self-evident in only those who truly believe in it, then that sentence is pretty redundant.

This gets into a subject that has already been opened; religion.

do YOU believe in it? no, you've said it yourself.

do OTHERS believe in it? yes.

therefore:

to you Karma doesn't exist; to them Karma does exist.

just like UFO's and Bigfoot, Religion can not be solved.

And I'm not sure how that sentence is "redundant" as I would have to have reiterated myself in order it to have redundancy.

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Oct 5 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

therefore:

I am a religous person. I am christian who also celebrates Jewish traditions. I don't believe in karma, but I do believe in a purpose for everything. Cause and effect is a given, you push a car down a hill of course it's going to roll.

I also believe we have free will to an extent and we can do as we please, of course I also believe the higher up already knows what I'm going to do. Your question would probably be, how can you have free will if what you're going to do is already predetermined? My answer would be is that you don't know what's going to happen, you make that decision based off you, you had no higher up influence who is the only person who would know what would happen (unless you asked). Therefore, if you don't know and no one else knows what's going to happen, then how is it possible to not make choice? I'm doing it right now by typing this.

That's why I'm always curious in why people believe in karma. Karma essentially is cause and effect, and it baffles me how they believe that is religion rather than science. But as it seems posted earlier, I'm quite ignorant in Buddhism, hence this thread and hence the info listed above. I was not aware of karma having the purpose of reaching neutral which would be Nirvana. So I guess my 2nd question is, who out there believes in karma... but not Buddhism?
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Lipid

Lipid
  • Members
  • 271 posts
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Oct 6 2008, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

therefore:

And I'm not sure how that sentence is "redundant" as I would have to have reiterated myself in order it to have redundancy.

Yeah I took back that statement after thinking about it some more. I apologise. I only thought it was redundant because the topic asked whether or not people believed in karma, so to say that people who believe it actually believe it exists seems like an obvious conclusion. Then I realised the same thing you replied with as examples, so I see the validity in it now.
Clevel girl...

тαg

тαg
  • Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Interests:I don't like spies.
No, there is no karma.

Alexc26, You win.
Goodbye Forum.

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (тαg @ Oct 6 2008, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, there are no karma.

/smacks тαg round the head with a chalkboard earser

see? cause, and effect. Karma *DOES* exist! icon_lol.gif

Lol seriously though, the *ORIGINAL* concept of karma comes from religion, as previously stated. In this context, no it doesnt exist. The more modern adoption of the word however (the "cause and effect" idea, as the op put it) very much does, because nature and the universe in general tends to balance things out. To put it another way, everything has a cost. Global warming is probably the best example that springs to mind. You take stuff out of the earth, and burn it to turn it into something else (electricity, motor/aviation fuel etc). The cost that is paid is the waste that this produces, which is building up in terms of landfill sites and atmospheric pollutants. In other words, our actions are disturbing the natural equalibrium of earth, and earth is reacting to try and regain that equilibrium. cause, and effect. icon_wink.gif

some dude

some dude
  • Members
  • 2,265 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:kumarricon
is it actually karma? or just coincidence?

it pisses me off when something bad happens to you, e.g. you getting a cut after you do something "bad", and somebody says "god punished you."

like GTFO, god doesnt give a fuck about what i say or do.
performance and adrenaline = no boner.
It's the equivalent of trying to get a hard on with 20 old people standing around you with notepads and watching you intently. It just doesn't happen.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
QUOTE (ViRuS52 @ Oct 7 2008, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol seriously though, the *ORIGINAL* concept of karma comes from religion, as previously stated. In this context, no it doesnt exist. The more modern adoption of the word however (the "cause and effect" idea, as the op put it) very much does, because nature and the universe in general tends to balance things out. To put it another way, everything has a cost. Global warming is probably the best example that springs to mind. You take stuff out of the earth, and burn it to turn it into something else (electricity, motor/aviation fuel etc). The cost that is paid is the waste that this produces, which is building up in terms of landfill sites and atmospheric pollutants. In other words, our actions are disturbing the natural equalibrium of earth, and earth is reacting to try and regain that equilibrium. cause, and effect. icon_wink.gif

though people call it karma, it isn't icon_razz.gif

And please give me undeniable proof that there aren't spiritual forces working as fate. icon_biggrin.gif

Religion (and its practices) cannot be proved or disproved a this current time, so just let it be.

Lipid

Lipid
  • Members
  • 271 posts
Karma is not the same as cause and effect.

Example #1: I help an old lady cross the street and she slaps me.

- Karma doesn't work in this situation because I've been punished for doing something "good".

- Cause and effect dictates that I received the slap (effect) because the lady gave me a slap (cause). The lady gave me a slap (effect) because she wanted to give me a slap (cause). She wanted to give me a slap (effect) because she assumed I wanted a reward for helping her (cause).

Example #2: I rob an old lady with a knife and steal fifty dollars from her.

- Karma doesn't work in this situation because I've been rewarded for doing something "bad".

- Cause and effect dictates that I received fifty dollars (effect) because the lady gave me fifty dollars (cause). The lady gave me fifty dollars (effect) because she wanted to give me fifty dollars (cause). She wanted to give me fifty dollars (effect) because I threatened her with a knife (cause).

Cause and effect can be applied to ANY situation, though we might not know the cause or the effect (or either) in some cases. Karma is flawed and does not exist as it cannot account for the situations in which bad things are rewarded and good things are punished.
Clevel girl...

тαg

тαg
  • Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Interests:I don't like spies.
I gave a beggar like, 10$
And karma made my bus leave earlier.
I can blame God and Karma right?

Alexc26, You win.
Goodbye Forum.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
Karma is similar to Cause and effect, but has nothing to do with variable chance.

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
People expect karma to happen instantly. Doesn't work that way. Karma is another way of saying cause and effect (I am not talking in a religious sense, I mean the general western adoption of the word). Overtime if your deeds are generally bad IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU IN THE ASS. If your generally a good hearted person you will get positive effects for creating positive causes. Its logic, which is why 99% of people ignore it. Its real, dont ignore it.

Example: Current economic crisis- Banks gave out bad loans, in general made a lot of stupid/bad decisions, and look whats happening.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
QUOTE (Dohregard @ Oct 6 2008, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UFOs, bigfoot and religion can be solved if we collect empirical evidence. Though imo the chance of collecting such evidence for UFOs or other extraterrestrial life is significantly higher than some god (abrahamic god or otherwise) revealing him/her/itself to us.

Lipid

Lipid
  • Members
  • 271 posts
QUOTE (Sir_Slik @ Oct 9 2008, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People expect karma to happen instantly. Doesn't work that way. Karma is another way of saying cause and effect. Overtime if your deeds are generally bad IT WILL COME BACK TO BITE YOU IN THE ASS. If your generally a good hearted person you will get positive effects for creating positive causes. Its logic, which is why 99% of people ignore it. Its real, dont ignore it.

Example: Current economic crisis- Banks gave out bad loans, in general made a lot of stupid/bad decisions, and look whats happening.

I'm sorry but I cannot believe the convenient excuse of something happening in the future as being attributed to something completely unrelated that happened in the past.

How do account for the people who have gotten away with murder and spent the rest of their lives in peace without any form of reprimand? How do you account for the children who bully other kids and are still getting the presents they ask for on christmas and on their birthdays?

Karma (like luck) is just a convenient excuse people use to explain why something happened when they don't know (or choose not to say) the real reason and logic behind it.

Your example isn't karma, by the way. It's simple logic.
Clevel girl...

Sir_Slik

Sir_Slik
  • Members
  • 1,135 posts
Look at it like a game of chance. Every time you do something you shouldn't the chance of you getting royally screwed goes up more, eventually its going to get you. Its not a "you do this so this will happen to you" sorta of thing, you have to look at the big picture.
The lunacy of today is the genius of tomorrow.

R.I.P. Troy <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users