Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The n00b effect parody

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
125 replies to this topic

Geoff

Geoff
  • Root Admin
  • 189 posts
Apologies for the now broken link to our YouTube version of the episode 17 intro video: "Nahtzee - The n00b effect". We received an email from YouTube stating that due to a copyright infringement notice from Themis Media our video has been removed. Themis Media is the company that owns the publication rights to Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation, so we are not even sure if Yahtzee knows about this. It's pretty clear that our video is a parody of ZP that does not reproduce any of Yahtzee's work and hence does not infringe on their copyright. So we went ahead and filed a counter notice and we expect that YouTube will repost the video.

In the meantime we find it ironic that Themis Media would have such an overzealous attitude towards enforcing copyright law (improperly) while they continue to broadcast older Zero Punctuation clips that contain unlicensed copyright music icon_smile.gif

UPDATE: We were contacted by Themis Media, they have retracted their YouTube claim and the video is back up!

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. As long as there's no copying involved, parodies are... or should be... all in good taste. Hope that video gets back up to spread the word of a collapsing industry!
QUOTE (Geoff @ Oct 1 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like an environmentalist that flies a hybrid car over-seas in a private jet... icon_wink.gif

Kadajiroth

Kadajiroth
  • GA Captain
  • 1,206 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3638
  • Company:Nu
That's incredibly silly. I was just about to point out those ZP clips that had copyrighted music.

The N00b Effect was clearly a parody, and is even stated so in the clip itself. Hopefully you guys can get this sorted soon.

kadajiroth_gasig15.png

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Pwning, writing, reviewing, music composition, acting, programming
  • Xbox / GFWL:BogusMeatFactor
  • Wii:6374897161850475
  • Gamer Army ID:3688
  • Company:Golf
All I can say is to Themis Media is...

You got PWNED!

Zombicus

Zombicus

Mr. Body Massage Machine

• Administrators
  • 930 posts
  • Steam ID:zombicus
  • Xbox / GFWL:Zombicus
  • Gamer Army ID:3067
  • Company:Echo
I find it pretty amusing that none of the other Zero Punctuation parodies had this happen to them.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
Retarted. Zero Punctuation sucks.

Seriously, it lost all credibility when he said that Twilight Princess and Galaxy >Mario 64 and OOT.

Seriously, die in a fire.

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

j type

j type
  • Members
  • 2,690 posts
  • Steam ID:jtype
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
It seems like a really desperate move on their part. Desperate, in this case, being synonymous with "ghey"..

They must have really been jealous of PPs success.

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840
Funny, Yahtzee stopped using songs in his videos because of this reason, for fear of copyright infringement.
QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

pieguy314

pieguy314
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:pwning n00bs l0lz
ZP isn't actually that great of a show/cartoon thingy (whateverthehellitis). Sometimes he's just bitching on and on about the most smallest isues, and no game is actually perfect. They all have their minor flaws, and he picks on every single one of them. Sometimes, the problems he picks on aren't even existent, at least not for me. Looks like their just desperate IMO.

Kipenz

Kipenz
  • Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (Anth0ny @ Oct 1 2008, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Retarted. Zero Punctuation sucks.

Seriously, it lost all credibility when he said that Twilight Princess and Galaxy >Mario 64 and OOT.

Seriously, die in a fire.

Way to unnecessarily whine becasue someone says your precious little childhood babysitter wasn't as top notch as you hold it up to be.
Especially as I'm fairly sure that you're just making that claim up. A quick rewatch of the mario review showed scarcely any mention to Mario 64 at all, and, correct me if I'm wrong, he's never even done a review for Twilight Princess. The only place he could have stated such a thing would be somewhere randomly amongst the large amounts of dialogue that make up the rest of his reviews. However, in that case it would still hardly qualify for that little tantrum of yours.

Seriously, blind fanboy less.

And yes, I registered here just to post this, so bugger off with all your possible rebuttals on such as I've already throw said fact out there.

On onto the actual issue; yes its quite a cheap move on the part of Themis Media.
Just goes to show the general failure of things like the DMCA and the companies that abuse it.

Killswitch571

Killswitch571
  • Members
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Video Games<br />Girls<br />Sports<br /><br />That's really about it..
  • Steam ID:nigel509
  • Xbox / GFWL:Killswitch571
  • Wii:4596-9430-4703
This is ridiculous, Excited to hear YouTube's response to this.

Also, Geoff, you are the man.

KuroFalcon

KuroFalcon

Best Overall Poster 08

• GA Corporal
  • 7,232 posts
  • Steam ID:Winzx12
  • Gamer Army ID:2992
  • Company:Pi
Well Played Geoff, Well Played indeed.

QUOTE (Mares @ Aug 22 2008, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
kuro is MY LOVABOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cloud2

Cloud2
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • xfire:someguy295
  • Steam ID:aidanmcw
Haha, well done Geoff.

Yahtzee got pwned? I think so. icon_lol.gif

bored_mo

bored_mo
  • GA Private
  • 215 posts
  • xfire:boredmo
  • Gamer Army ID:508
QUOTE (Cloud2 @ Oct 1 2008, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yahtzee got pwned? I think so. icon_lol.gif

QUOTE (Geoff @ Oct 1 2008, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...so we are not even sure if Yahtzee knows about this.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
QUOTE (Kipenz @ Oct 1 2008, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way to unnecessarily whine becasue someone says your precious little childhood babysitter wasn't as top notch as you hold it up to be.
Especially as I'm fairly sure that you're just making that claim up. A quick rewatch of the mario review showed scarcely any mention to Mario 64 at all, and, correct me if I'm wrong, he's never even done a review for Twilight Princess. The only place he could have stated such a thing would be somewhere randomly amongst the large amounts of dialogue that make up the rest of his reviews. However, in that case it would still hardly qualify for that little tantrum of yours.

Seriously, blind fanboy less.

And yes, I registered here just to post this, so bugger off with all your possible rebuttals on such as I've already throw said fact out there.

On onto the actual issue; yes its quite a cheap move on the part of Themis Media.
Just goes to show the general failure of things like the DMCA and the companies that abuse it.

lol wow you registered just to respond to my post. Impressive.

Also, get your facts straight before saying that "I'm making something up". I know he didn't review TP and that he didn't mention Mario 64 in the Galaxy video. In one of his most recent videos, I believe the Bionic Commando one, he said that TP and Galaxy was greater than OOT and Mario 64. His only argument was that "lol you're looking at those games in nostalgia glasses".

I beat Galaxy in 2 days. I beat Twilight Princess in a week. These games are catered towards CASUALS. I've gone through Mario 64 and OOT numerous times, and I still can't beat the entire game that quickly. I'm not saying they suck, I'm saying they're not comparable to the N64 games. And no, I'm not a "nostalgiafag", because I enjoyed Galaxy more than Sunshine. I enjoyed TP more than WW. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. Mario 64 and OOT are simply better games overall.

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
Those silly n00bs

LoLto

LoLto
  • Members
  • 112 posts
Lol

Go go Pure Pwnage Legal Department!

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
QUOTE (LoLto @ Oct 1 2008, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol

Go go Pure Pwnage Legal Department!

XD that picture is too good!

P-Man

P-Man
  • GA Corporal
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Yar
  • Steam ID:[PPGA] Biscuit
  • Xbox / GFWL:JordMBush
  • Gamer Army ID:1880
  • Company:Gamma
If I remember correctly ~30 seconds of music is free to use without paying royalties, although I am not sure if that applies when you make money from the item in question.

But getting you to take down your parody is just petty.

Brown_Cyclone

Brown_Cyclone
  • Members
  • 1,050 posts
  • xfire:Frostmourne234
  • Interests:Gaming, music, friends, pure pwnage, reading, zelda lulz
  • Xbox / GFWL:brown cyclone
  • Wii:1751004761534286
Parody and Satire aren't copyright infringements, at least not in Australia. I'm guessing they either have no idea what they're talking about or are just picking on you because your steadily becoming more famous. Anyway good luck Geoff icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users