Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I uninstalled my ATI drivers...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
  • Wii:0880236817227655
So I did some maintenance on my rig after I realized that it runs (much) slower than my dad's laptop (seriously, wtf is up with that?). So I defragged my disk, went to L.A. for a weekend, and by the time I got back it was done. So I start up Steam and try to play Half-Life 2, but Steam tells me that my driver for my video card (ATI RADEON 9250) is out of date. I've gotten this message before, and I seem to remember that there was no new driver, so I just ignored it.

But this time, I went to ATI's website and tried to download the newest driver. The information on the site told me to go to my control panel, then "add or remove programs," then change/remove the "ATI Uninstall Utility" (or whatever it's called). It asked me to restart. So I closed all my windows and restarted. My computer turned off, then tried to boot up again. It got to that screen with the Windows logo and the little progress bar underneath that doesn't actually show progress. Then the screen went black. So here I am, on a different computer, asking for help.

Anyone know what I did wrong? And how to fix it? And, once it's fixed, how can I maximize my performance?

(I'm running Windows XP, if that matters. All my other system specs are unknown, and I can't check them because... you know)
I'm a proctologist.

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Probably something to do with W33d.
Try loading into safe mode press F8 during the boot sequence, then if I where you I'd just reinstall the driver you had previously.

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
K. How do I re-install it?
I'm a proctologist.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I believe that card simply isn't supported anymore in the latest drivers.

Try an older version of catalyst. Something like 6.0

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
I'm in safe mode on my other computer, but I can't connect to the Internet with it. How do I get the drivers?
I'm a proctologist.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
You uninstall the drivers in safe mode, then reboot in normal mode.

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Aug 25 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You uninstall the drivers in safe mode, then reboot in normal mode.

Wait, what? I already uninstalled the drivers, then I went into safe mode.
I'm a proctologist.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Then just go into normal mode..

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
But normal mode doesn't work.
I'm a proctologist.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Ah, my bad. I thought you had installed a more recent driver.

Have to say this is kind of interesting.

Download Driver Sweeper, and put it on a USB drive or some portable media to put it on your PC, and use that to clear ATI drivers.

Mares

Mares

Best Avatar 08

• GA Private
  • 3,151 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:3456
rofl got an ati radeon 9250 2, I just got the newest driver there is I think, nothing really happened special

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ Aug 25 2008, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, my bad. I thought you had installed a more recent driver.

Have to say this is kind of interesting.

Download Driver Sweeper, and put it on a USB drive or some portable media to put it on your PC, and use that to clear ATI drivers.

Which files should I "clean"? It asks me if I'm sure I want to continue, so I take that as a signal that I could fuck things up big time.
I'm a proctologist.

Love Duckie

Love Duckie
  • GA Private
  • 2,448 posts
  • xfire:1337lucz0r
  • Gamer Army ID:2256
I think it explains everything if you say that you have a 9250 and then conclude that your machine operates slower than your dads laptop.

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
K, update. I downloaded Driver Sweeper and cleaned all the ATI files, then restarted in normal mode. Still nothing.
I'm a proctologist.

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
Update again: I restarted in VGA mode, installed Catalyst 6.11, restarted in normal mode, still nothing.
I'm a proctologist.

G-X

G-X
  • Members
  • 256 posts
Now none of the modes work, not even "Last Known Good Configuration." Uh oh.
I'm a proctologist.

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • xfire:Emsal
  • Interests:Ownage :D
  • Xbox / GFWL:Emsal
Fucking format that shit, lol icon_wink.gif
Grrrrrr

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Tbh, I'm really confused as to what went wrong. But seeing as you want to make your stuff faster then formatting might not be such a bad idea. Make sure you download all the necessary drivers and stuff BEFORE formatting.

Henry_

Henry_
  • Members
  • 1,062 posts
and make sure you dont pull a henry and forget your Microsoft CD key!

nlitement

nlitement
  • Members
  • 2,821 posts
  • Interests:Yeah, damn.
  • Xbox / GFWL:nlitement
Use "Safe Mode with Networking"

I've had this like five times, piece of shit ATI drivers.. (or ATI Tray Tools, but still, the drivers shouldn't fuck up).
˘3˘ ◕ ◡ ◕ ( ω`) ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users