Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PCI x16 v2 question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
  • xfire:theblackout92
  • Steam ID:highbuzz
  • Gamer Army ID:1316
I recently helped build my friend a new gaming computer, but I picked an older motherboard (the older version that is) and it didn't come with PCI x16 v2. He also got a Radeon HD 4850, how much of a performance hit will it take? He's been using it and it's a lot better than what he had (lol... a crappy laptop gaming wise) but I just want to know.

Turkey Llama Confederation (WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT!)

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
none

at least, none from using that card on a pci-e x16 v1.1

however, considering he's using an older mobo, he may be taking a performance hit somewhere else along the line

luk3r3r

luk3r3r
  • Members
  • 22 posts
QUOTE (TheBlackOut @ Aug 24 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recently helped build my friend a new gaming computer, but I picked an older motherboard (the older version that is) and it didn't come with PCI x16 v2. He also got a Radeon HD 4850, how much of a performance hit will it take? He's been using it and it's a lot better than what he had (lol... a crappy laptop gaming wise) but I just want to know.

shouldn't make any difference.

Gold Leader

Gold Leader
  • GA Private
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:3dfx Graphics, pure pwnage, StarWars, Sting &amp; The Police, Dinosaurs, Air Force jets and bombers worldwide!,, MC-Hammer, 50Cent, and DJ-Tiesto + Chicane
  • Gamer Army ID:3981
weill in theory PCI-E x16 2.0 is comparable to PCI-E 1.1/1.0 x32 but there are no VGA cards that could get that bandwidth it's actually the same kind of speed increase we had with AGP 2.1 & 3.0 aka AGP x4 & x8 the speed diff was closely to 3% to nihil.

So even if you have a PCI-E 1.1 / 1.0 slot with a PCI-E 2.0 VGA you won't even notice a massive seed bump wih a PCI-E 2.0 slot with that same card icon_smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users