Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Some shaman help for a n00b

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
ok, I played on a private server for like 2 months out of boredom, and I took a liking to shamans. I'm leveling one on Illidan, and he's 42 atm.

The thing is, I can't decide what spec to go at 70. they all pretty much rock imo

could an experienced shaman throw me a bone here? not sure what i'm asking for... like a pros/cons of each spec kind of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help me out here icon_smile.gif

Defiled

Defiled
  • Members
  • 4,091 posts
Well, The shaman talent tree's are actually very simple, as there completely different.

Lets think of it this way:

Elemental, your closest to being a mage here, you will be casting offensive spells 90% of the time.

Enhancement, your closest to being a fury warrior/combat rogue here, you will be duel wielding (most likely) However with some recent changes (i have'nt played Enhancement in a very long time or my Shaman either) Blizzard have tried to make Enhancement more hybradized now by throwing in some spell casting talents in enhancement.

Restoration, your a healer. Simple as.

So Elemental = Caster, Enhancement = Melee, Restoration = Healer. Do you dislike any of the 3 roles? Do you have a favourite out of the 3 roles?

I'd go into more detail but you have'nt said much, do you plan on raiding? PvP?

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Enhancement shamans are usefull for melee heavy raids, but everyone needs Resto Shamans like mad for endgame. Trust me.

The thing is, it's never what you want. It's what ever guild you get into wants you to be. You'll have to adapt to fulfill their needs of you in roles. If you go around saying you're an ele shaman you're cutting yourself off from alot of guilds, same from any other spec. If you ask guilds who are recruiting if they want shamans, and what kind of shaman they want join them. But if you can, always go resto first, and have off gear for other specs!

тαg

тαg
  • Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Interests:I don't like spies.
Mean green Druids.
Think druid, like Feral/enhancement resto/resto Whatever/elemental.

Whatever you pick, you will always have frost shock, and therefor you can never go wrong.
If you want to a healer, then go ahead and be 90% incapable of solo questing or grinding.
If you want to be Enhance then go ahead and have FUN in PvP and still be a mean green killing machine in solo.
If you want to be a grinder and a Homo and have a fare shot at Pvp, then to datt.

My xp of lvl 70shaman.
Alexc26, You win.
Goodbye Forum.

hasjustbeenpwned

hasjustbeenpwned
  • Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • xfire:Hasjustbeenpwnd
  • Interests:games, computers and bitches
I personally like enhancement but you wanna go with what fits your play style caster melee or healer.

Mkoll

Mkoll
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • xfire:huor666
Resto will definatly get you into the most guilds
Give up all you suckers we the tightest muthafuckas And you never seen us talking shit before now

You peelin' potatoes while we sonic alligators
Makin' records sellin' like we smokin' crack now

'Joe' -'what now'?
'We bad.' -'Bad how'?
'We make a track to shake a cow
and move you like you startin something nasty?

'And then' -What then?
'We do it again, don?t make no money for us to spend
on yachts and boats and planes and drugs and scooters?

- Hot Chip

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
my advice is make a druid

I was rather successful with a shaman but playing a druid is just so much easier and you can carry baddies

Resto sham is pretty sweet for pve tho

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Defiled @ Aug 12 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, The shaman talent tree's are actually very simple, as there completely different.

Lets think of it this way:

Elemental, your closest to being a mage here, you will be casting offensive spells 90% of the time.

Enhancement, your closest to being a fury warrior/combat rogue here, you will be duel wielding (most likely) However with some recent changes (i have'nt played Enhancement in a very long time or my Shaman either) Blizzard have tried to make Enhancement more hybradized now by throwing in some spell casting talents in enhancement.

Restoration, your a healer. Simple as.

So Elemental = Caster, Enhancement = Melee, Restoration = Healer. Do you dislike any of the 3 roles? Do you have a favourite out of the 3 roles?

I'd go into more detail but you have'nt said much, do you plan on raiding? PvP?

First off, thanks a lot to everybody who posted, appreciate it.

Yeah, I know I haven't been very specific, I'm still thinking and trying to put what I want into words. I have zero experience healing, but I'd be willing to try it. I like the idea of getting into a good guild as resto, and getting gear for an offspec.

I plan on PvE'ing first, and then PvPing later on. I know I'm not going enhance for PvP. I'm really open to any spec for PvE though, just not very comfortable with resto, as I've never healed before.

I'll throw out an easy question I've been wondering... what does more DPS, Enhance or Ele? I heard enhance is a little better, but I've also heard ele is

Can anybody clear that up lol?

Defiled

Defiled
  • Members
  • 4,091 posts
Well again i have'nt played my shaman in a while, but when i played it was like this:

Elemental had some mana issues, you had to get quite a lot of MP5 to really sustain damage without potting lots. Enhancement on the other hand is VERY sustainable, i rarely ever runned out of mana, when i did...shamanistic rage and i was full again.

IMO...Elemental has VERY good burst damage very good, so that means its more PvP orientated, TBH with these new WotLK talents and spells, Elemental imo is going to be very good for PvP. Enhancement doesn't really have any burst unless you get some random big WF crits and/or are using a 2H (imo not as good).

What isit exactly that puts you off healing? Restoration atm is definatly the strongest tree. However with WotLK coming up its hard to say tbh.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Use Enhance for leveling, Resto for getting into a guild and raiding, PvP is a mixed bag.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Aug 13 2008, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Use Enhance for leveling, Resto for getting into a guild and raiding, PvP is a mixed bag.

On my server atm, quite a few guilds actually need an Enhance Shaman (including mine rofl, ours only shows up like once a month. My dps is so terrible without one icon_sad.gif).

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Aug 13 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On my server atm, quite a few guilds actually need an Enhance Shaman (including mine rofl, ours only shows up like once a month. My dps is so terrible without one icon_sad.gif).

I used enhance a bit in my first guild pre-BC, they only let me do it for ZG runs and shit with the crap guys in the guild cause my Warr was MT for BWL in the main raid group. Playing Sham was alot more fun, I like DPS'ing raids.

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Defiled @ Aug 13 2008, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well again i have'nt played my shaman in a while, but when i played it was like this:

Elemental had some mana issues, you had to get quite a lot of MP5 to really sustain damage without potting lots. Enhancement on the other hand is VERY sustainable, i rarely ever runned out of mana, when i did...shamanistic rage and i was full again.

IMO...Elemental has VERY good burst damage very good, so that means its more PvP orientated, TBH with these new WotLK talents and spells, Elemental imo is going to be very good for PvP. Enhancement doesn't really have any burst unless you get some random big WF crits and/or are using a 2H (imo not as good).

What isit exactly that puts you off healing? Restoration atm is definatly the strongest tree. However with WotLK coming up its hard to say tbh.

I don't wanna hear L2HEAL NAB every time somebody dies :-\

And yeah, I've never done it, I have no idea what to do.

Defiled

Defiled
  • Members
  • 4,091 posts
Stand Heal icon_smile.gif

Well as Tree said i strongly suggest you go Enhancement when you level...it will be very quick compared to the other two. On the 60-70 stretch collect gear for all 3 tree's and keep them in your bank.

I dunno what level you are, but try healing at a very low level instance, Deadmines, Ragefire. It doesn't matter too much what talents you are then you can get away with it (just icon_razz.gif) try it out then, if you like it (your mana wont be very good so dont think about that) then its a lot funner at higher levels. Also might i add Shaman healing imo is very fun.

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Defiled @ Aug 13 2008, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stand Heal icon_smile.gif

Well as Tree said i strongly suggest you go Enhancement when you level...it will be very quick compared to the other two. On the 60-70 stretch collect gear for all 3 tree's and keep them in your bank.

I dunno what level you are, but try healing at a very low level instance, Deadmines, Ragefire. It doesn't matter too much what talents you are then you can get away with it (just icon_razz.gif) try it out then, if you like it (your mana wont be very good so dont think about that) then its a lot funner at higher levels. Also might i add Shaman healing imo is very fun.

Thanks again lol

Oh man though, did I forget to include what level I was?

I'm 43 at the moment lol, and I've leveled as enhance the whole way. I might pick up spell damage gear and try out resto/ele, but I'm not sure yet....

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
Creed, I know it'll be a HUUUGE ass TL; DR

But go to the ELITIST JERKS. Website, find shamans, find out how to heal. It's a simple guide, you have all of 3 healing spells that you'll use. You'll learn about MP5 and the no cast regen. There's alot about healing, which people think it's like "Press 1... press 1, press 2... press 1." No, it's alot more complex then that, especially with effective healing, MP5 and no cast regen. I suggest you download Xperl or something else that has the no cast mana regen bar.

It's alot of reading, but trust me, when you're done. You'll feel confident about healing.

Also, you can level as Resto from 60-70 no problem. You just don't die when fighting mobs. So you have that going for you. (You might wanta try healing a ZF in 1-2 levels btw. It's not that hard let people know ahead of time that you're not that good but you're willing to try.)

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Aug 13 2008, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Creed, I know it'll be a HUUUGE ass TL; DR

But go to the ELITIST JERKS. Website, find shamans, find out how to heal. It's a simple guide, you have all of 3 healing spells that you'll use. You'll learn about MP5 and the no cast regen. There's alot about healing, which people think it's like "Press 1... press 1, press 2... press 1." No, it's alot more complex then that, especially with effective healing, MP5 and no cast regen. I suggest you download Xperl or something else that has the no cast mana regen bar.

It's alot of reading, but trust me, when you're done. You'll feel confident about healing.

Also, you can level as Resto from 60-70 no problem. You just don't die when fighting mobs. So you have that going for you. (You might wanta try healing a ZF in 1-2 levels btw. It's not that hard let people know ahead of time that you're not that good but you're willing to try.)

I ended up there before for elemental help, I think I have it favorited. Thanks for reminding me.

They make it sound like fucking physics!

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
QUOTE (Creed 90 @ Aug 13 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ended up there before for elemental help, I think I have it favorited. Thanks for reminding me.

They make it sound like fucking physics!

There's alot of work involved in WoW that most people don't know about, lol.

Mkoll

Mkoll
  • Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • xfire:huor666
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Aug 15 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tell me about it. I'm trying to do the math for my warrior twink to find out what set/chants/etc would get me the optimum DPS and survivability.
Give up all you suckers we the tightest muthafuckas And you never seen us talking shit before now

You peelin' potatoes while we sonic alligators
Makin' records sellin' like we smokin' crack now

'Joe' -'what now'?
'We bad.' -'Bad how'?
'We make a track to shake a cow
and move you like you startin something nasty?

'And then' -What then?
'We do it again, don?t make no money for us to spend
on yachts and boats and planes and drugs and scooters?

- Hot Chip

Defiled

Defiled
  • Members
  • 4,091 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Aug 15 2008, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because the idiots that talk shit about it play it until level 20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users