Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Thailand halts Grand Theft Auto sales

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
BANGKOK (Reuters) - A Thai video game distributor halted sales of "Grand Theft Auto" on Monday after a teenager confessed to robbing and murdering a taxi driver while trying to recreate a scene from the controversial game."We are sending out requests today to outlets and shops to pull the games off their shelves and we will replace them with other games," Sakchai Chotikachinda, sales and marketing director of New Era Interactive Media, told Reuters.

"We are also urging video game arcades to pull the games from service," Sakchai said. An 18-year-old high school student, now in custody pending further investigations and a trial, faces death by lethal injection if found guilty of robbing and killing a 54-year-old taxi driver with a knife at the weekend.

Police said the youth, an obsessive player of "Grand Theft Auto", showed no sign of mental problems during questioning and had confessed to committing the crime because of the game.

"He said he wanted to find out if it was as easy in real life to rob a taxi as it was in the game," chief police investigator Veeravit Pipattanasak told Reuters.

The youth, described by his parents as polite and diligent, was arrested late on Saturday after he was found trying to steer a cab backwards out of a Bangkok street with the severely wounded driver in the back seat, newspapers reported.

The suspect told police he did not mean to kill the driver, whom he had chosen as a possible victim because of his age, but that he stabbed him to death when he fought back, newspapers reported.

"Grand Theft Auto", now available in its fourth edition, has been criticized for depicting violence including beatings, carjackings, drive-by shootings, drunk driving and prostitution.

A senior official at Thailand's Culture Ministry said the murder was a wake-up call for authorities to tackle the issue of violent video games, and urged parents to pay closer attention to what their children played.

"This time-bomb has already exploded and the situation could get worse," Ladda Thangsupachai, director of the ministry's Cultural Surveillance Centre, told Reuters. "Today it is a cab driver, but tomorrow it could be a video game shop owner."

The ministry has been pushing for tougher regulation of video games such as Grand Theft Auto, including the imposition of a rating system on sales and restriction on hours that youngsters can play the games in public arcades.

A multi-million dollar lawsuit was filed in the U.S. state of Alabama against the makers and marketers of Grand Theft Auto in 2005, claiming that months of playing the game led a teenager to kill two police officers and a 911 dispatcher.

The blockbuster Grand Theft Auto games are published by Nasdaq-listed Take-Two Interactive Software.

source

Discuss.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
I just murded someone, oh I know, I'll go blame it on that game I played to make my jail sentence shorter. Seriously you can not blame a game for your actions, the same for music, everyone has their own mind.

Halting the sales is just stupid in my opinion, they should be blaming the people that sell the games (making sure that the age rating is followed) not stopping the game full stop.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
Wow, if only they halted the sale of everything that supposedly contributed to a crime! Then we couldn't have: Alcohol, food, money, games, movies, music, television, sports, ...wait a second, that's a lot of fucking things!

GTFO Thailand; give the kid a lethal fucking injection and get it over with. The worst part is that if they are listening to the kid's fucking logic and actually taking him seriously, then actually PLAYING the game is what would have STOPPED the crime. Nice one!

Let's see, according to the kid's story...he is robbing a guy for money so he can go buy this game. The guy fights back and ends up getting all stabbity. So if he had the money to play the game, then wouldn't have committed the crime. If a guy robs and ends up killing a guy for money to feed his family are they going to ban food? Stupid fucking logic....

And sure the kid says he "Wanted to see if it was as easy to rob a cabbie as it was in the game." Last I checked you can't rob a fucking cab driver in GTA. You can kill him and take his money but the kid says he didn't want to hurt him. HE LIES!

The time bomb of video game induced violence has exploded! Tomorrow it could be you and me not just some worthless cab driver! Watch out kids!

Bullshit cases like this is part of what inspired me to go to become an attorney. I'd love to be defense to video game companies and put those fuckholes in their place.

DethFanatic

DethFanatic

Best RTS Contributor 08!

• GA Private
  • 3,079 posts
  • xfire:dethfanatic533
  • Interests:STARCRAFT 2 BETA YEAAAAAAH<br /><br />Studying Journalism at University (First year).
  • Wii:0129147163791720
  • Gamer Army ID:1048
Pic Related:

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Aug 6 2008, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Omfg I lol'd so hard.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Aug 6 2008, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, if only they halted the sale of everything that supposedly contributed to a crime! Then we couldn't have: Alcohol, food, money, games, movies, music, television, sports, ...wait a second, that's a lot of fucking things!

GTFO Thailand; give the kid a lethal fucking injection and get it over with. The worst part is that if they are listening to the kid's fucking logic and actually taking him seriously, then actually PLAYING the game is what would have STOPPED the crime. Nice one!

Let's see, according to the kid's story...he is robbing a guy for money so he can go buy this game. The guy fights back and ends up getting all stabbity. So if he had the money to play the game, then wouldn't have committed the crime. If a guy robs and ends up killing a guy for money to feed his family are they going to ban food? Stupid fucking logic....

QTF, what i was going to say.

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
It's not Thailand that is banning the game! The distribution company has come to the conclusion that they will lose less money by pulling the game, rather than keeping it on the shelves and facing the negative PR

of course the kid blames the game, he's not stupid - he figures public sympathy for someone "forced to murder by violent video games" will reduce his sentence, thereby saving his life. I dont blame him.

and for those of you surprised that the public believes him... do yall not get this yet? the public is ALWAYS ready to blame sex, drugs, rock and roll, and video games for all of life's problems.

confrico

confrico
  • Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
QUOTE (DethFanatic @ Aug 6 2008, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Discuss.

what are their prostitutes gonna do when they get bored of legos and barbie dolls?

Eraserhead

Eraserhead
  • Members
  • 2,735 posts
  • xfire:sacredcow669
  • Interests:Music, Film, Gaming, Books.
  • Steam ID:Tanel_669
  • Wii:Lol, Miyamoto
INCOMING!!!!

Curiouser and curiouser...

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,928 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
I don't care, I don't live in Thailand.

/thread

K0RRUPTED

K0RRUPTED
  • GA Private
  • 2,415 posts
  • xfire:guildwarsfreak
  • Interests:Infamous? Yussss :&gt;
  • Gamer Army ID:382
QUOTE (DougHChrist @ Aug 6 2008, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the public is ALWAYS ready to blame sex, drugs, rock and roll, and video games for all of life's problems.

You win.
QUOTE (StrykerGamer @ Aug 3 2009, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's rather simple. K0RRUPTED is the smartest 15-year-old in existence and is fucking with all of us.
Or he's Gillz's younger brother.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
Jack thompson is behind this... I just know it!

He's probably in his evil underground lair plotting his next country ruining plan as we speak!

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
is thailand in asia?

Ganonheart

Ganonheart
  • Members
  • 4,066 posts
  • xfire:badazzewok
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ganonheart
Oh boy... I smell stupidity in Thailand, the guy has mental health issues, anyone can see that straight off the bat.

There has been millions, if not BILLIONS of sales on Grand Theft Auto, and its only the social rejects and the people without mental health help are the ones that can no distance themselfs from reality & fantasy. This son of a bitch has ruined the gaming experince for his entire country, i say leathal injection is to good, forced starvation is better for the crime he has committed, murder is not something to be taken lightly.

Cure

Cure
  • Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Steam ID:Cure_IMR
Wow some people just need to die.

No way can a game make somone kill, fair enough games like GTA don't have a positive effect on people but if someone kills over a game they were gonna kill sooner or later anyway.

Don't forget the all important lesson to be learned here, it is infact easier to kill a taxi driver and rob him in GTA then it is in real life. Well in the kids case anyway icon_razz.gif

Ganonheart

Ganonheart
  • Members
  • 4,066 posts

..Bad..Joke...Comming....

He must not have noticed the police man standing behind him and got agro from the Star. D;

techno-ninja

techno-ninja

Best Newcomer 08!

• Retired Staff
  • 3,765 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:techno ninjacus
well shit, i heard about a murder on the news last night, i shall go and kill someone now!
Censorship is getting to the point of ridiculous, if seeing violence on a game can cause people to kill then surely it is also true of other forms of media, so lets check off the list of other things that shouldnt be seen by under 18's:

The news (both on tv and papers)-This shit actually happens-need a better example of violence than a real one?
History- Anything more violent than wars and the holocaust? I think not
Books- I don't think i have ever read a book that doesn't have a murder in it- even harry potter ffs and my 6 year old students have read that!
TV shows including all CSI, greys anatomy, house MD etc - They have blood in them, be careful not to induce a blood lust on your audience.

The worst forms of violence are seen in the real world, if a video game game cause someone to do this, then why not everything else listed above? It's a cowardly part of the human condition to blame someone
else for your own actions, just a shame it seems to be common place for authorities to believe their bullshit.

talecapod

talecapod
  • GA Private
  • 428 posts
  • xfire:talecapod
  • Gamer Army ID:3106
Related thread - http://forums.purepw...showtopic=79635

But yeah, it's all about mental litigation now-days. The new-fangled way to plead insanity without being proven to be insane.
Here's hoping more people don't jump on that bandwagon. Media + self-righteous citizens = a wall of deaf ears.
Talec|A.P.O.D.

Ganonheart

Ganonheart
  • Members
  • 4,066 posts
QUOTE (techno-ninja @ Aug 7 2008, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well shit, i heard about a murder on the news last night, i shall go and kill someone now!
Censorship is getting to the point of ridiculous, if seeing violence on a game can cause people to kill then surely it is also true of other forms of media, so lets check off the list of other things that shouldnt be seen by under 18's:

The news (both on tv and papers)-This shit actually happens-need a better example of violence than a real one?
History- Anything more violent than wars and the holocaust? I think not
Books- I don't think i have ever read a book that doesn't have a murder in it- even harry potter ffs and my 6 year old students have read that!
TV shows including all CSI, greys anatomy, house MD etc - They have blood in them, be careful not to induce a blood lust on your audience.

The worst forms of violence are seen in the real world, if a video game game cause someone to do this, then why not everything else listed above? It's a cowardly part of the human condition to blame someone
else for your own actions, just a shame it seems to be common place for authorities to believe their bullshit.

You have big balls. I like big balls.

Creed 90

Creed 90
  • Banned
  • 918 posts
QUOTE (Ganonheart @ Aug 7 2008, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have big balls. I like big balls.

IRONY CRIT FOR 10K

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users