Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DX10 for Windows XP?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
I was talking to my stepdad about Vista and how the only thing appealing to me about Vista was DX10. He told me he worked on a friend of his' son and put DX10 on his computer which has XP.

Flabbergasted, I did a little looking around and apparently a community did manage to make a DX10 that runs on XP. However the discription is a little... cloudy: "This project was aimed to make DirectX 10 compatible games to run on Non Vista operating systems."

My question is this: does DX10 for XP actually enhance your graphics for DX10 compatible games or does it just allow DX10 games to be played on a DX9 computer, maybe "confusing" the program to think you're running DX10?
IPB Image

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
yay, another one of the "i will do anything to get out of running vista"

im pretty sure its a myth, however even if it was possible to put DX10 on XP, it would be a headache 24/7, and better to just buy vista WHICH ISN"T BAD ANYMORE OMFG IM TIRED OF SAYING IT

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
I didn't say "I will do anything to get out of running Vista" I just don't see a point in buying it for one feature that I could save $200 dollars on if I can use it on XP. I just wanted to see if it was true or not.

The rules for this forum are up there ^. Read them.
IPB Image

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
check out windows mojave

Emotive

Emotive
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts
Why does EVERYONE think Vista is more than it actually is?

And what are you insinuating? That he flamed you? lol

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
He pretty much did. He didn't have to say it like he did. Almost half of his post had nothing to do with what I asked.
IPB Image

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
this thread needs an attitude adjustment

@OP - from what I can tell, you do not actually get any DX10 features by using these hacks. if you already have XP though, there's no need to upgrade to Vista, since you said you dont much care for the other improvements beyond DX10. the visual improvements are very slight, and you barely notice them when moving around

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
First off your dad is wrong, there are several great features that Vista has, and you really miss them when you're using XP (like say per application volume control). I'm going to guess your dad's only experience with Vista is either heresay or a crapware infested box, evaluate Vista yourself.

DX10 is only available on XP so far(the equivalent OpenGL feature set hasn't been standardized yet, so hope for an emulator is small at the moment). The only thing that would put DX on XP was supposively the Alky project, which collected a mass of donations then promptly shut down., making me think it was a hoax to cheat people out of their money for something that may not be technically possible.

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
My stepdad had Vista for a while and switched to XP because he was having problems with it himself. He's really good with computers so it's highly unlikely that it had any viruses when he used it. It was still fairly new and I haven't seen it since early spring or so, and I've messed with vista a bit, so I have a little bit of experience. If Vista is stable now, then maybe I'll look into it. But like everyone said, if all I want from it is DX10, then maybe I don't need it.

The alky Project is where I heard it from, so if it's possibly a hoax then maybe it can't be done yet. We'll see what happens I guess.
IPB Image

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (eedok @ Aug 5 2008, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off your dad is wrong, there are several great features that Vista has, and you really miss them when you're using XP (like say per application volume control).

DAYUM! Best reason to get vista i've ever heard, icon_razz.gif

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
NO WAY I AM SOLD.
IPB Image

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Aug 4 2008, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DAYUM! Best reason to get vista i've ever heard, icon_razz.gif

it's annoying when you go back to XP and have vent open and you're playing a web game who's sound control affects the whole system, so you can't hear what the fuck people are saying on Vent.

There's other awesome features too, like win+tab(totally destroys alt+tab for application switching), the spotlight ripoff(there's no need for a start menu really), and a new version of MS Paint (hasn't been done since Windows 3, if this doesn't sell Vista to you, you have no soul).

What problems did your step dad have?

Sev Rith

Sev Rith
  • Members
  • 324 posts
I think he was having problems with programs not switching over properly. Some of the things he uses are a bit dated, but still work on XP. I'm not quite sure, I'll ask him later.
IPB Image

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (Sev Rith @ Aug 5 2008, 03:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't say "I will do anything to get out of running Vista" I just don't see a point in buying it for one feature that I could save $200 dollars on if I can use it on XP. I just wanted to see if it was true or not.

This post is full of truth. it's not about Vista vs XP, it's about DX10 on XP. Jumping on the reverse bandwagon of 'Vista doesn't suck!@1' while that wasn't implied in the first place kind of makes you look like a tool and DOES break this section's guidelines.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
QUOTE (Sev Rith @ Aug 4 2008, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just believe me when i say, vista is a lot better then trying to get DX10 working on XP.

thats all i said, chill.

and as for your step dad saying he had problems, i believe you when you say he had problems, however i'd be willing to bet it was a while ago. Theres a service pack now, I haven't heard anything bad about it (also being a user of vista). Its pretty much fixed, and working as well if not better then XP.
$200 dollars

its 110$.

FrozenInferno

FrozenInferno
  • GA Private
  • 996 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:238
While that may be true, he most certainly doesn't have to be a jackass about it. Mistakes were made by both parties.

On-topic:
Even if a hack could get DX10 games to work on XP, you'd be missing out on the main features, as well as compromising reliability. Either get Vista and play DX10 reliably, or don't and possibly play DX10, and if so, more than likely very unreliably.

teh_pVp3r

teh_pVp3r
  • Members
  • 299 posts
  • xfire:guildy
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mazy14
QUOTE (eedok @ Aug 4 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's annoying when you go back to XP and have vent open and you're playing a web game who's sound control affects the whole system, so you can't hear what the fuck people are saying on Vent.

There's other awesome features too, like win+tab(totally destroys alt+tab for application switching), the spotlight ripoff(there's no need for a start menu really), and a new version of MS Paint (hasn't been done since Windows 3, if this doesn't sell Vista to you, you have no soul).

What problems did your step dad have?

Try increasing your inbound or use special effects on people?
oh wow a new alt tab and Paint version. Definetly worth upgrading to a laggy OS that is bugged and not as stable or as good as XP. if you wanted XP to look nicer, you could always get a custom theme.

Henry_

Henry_
  • Members
  • 1,062 posts
QUOTE (teh_pVp3r @ Aug 5 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh wow a new alt tab and Paint version. Definetly worth upgrading to a laggy OS that is bugged and not as stable or as good as XP.

it makes me laugh how you clearly have no idea what your talking about and that you have obviously never dealt with vista

i can tell you from first hand experience that it is

faster than Xp (25% file transfer increase, and games certainly run as well if not better)

certainly not majorly bugged. in fact there are probably more bugs in XP.

it is stable (never had a crash)

on the whole, Vista is a superior OS and like it or lump it you will eventually have to convert.

on topic, you said

"This project was aimed to make DirectX 10 compatible games to run on Non Vista operating systems."

this just suggests that he managed to play games that have DirectX 10 capabilties on XP (DX9) graphics

nothing special

Starblaiz

Starblaiz

Here comes the sun!

• Global Mods - GA Brig. Genereral
  • 5,287 posts
  • Interests:Games (obviously :P ), Programming, Physics (especially Astrophysics)
  • Steam ID:virus52
  • Gamer Army ID:225
  • Company:Gamma
ok first off - Vista *ISN'T* the ultimate OS! "Laggy" was probably the wrong word to use teh_pVp3r. Maybe you meant "bloated"? Thats how i would describe it. alot of programs etc that you don't need come with vista. That said, you can always uninstall them after you boot up, so its an annoyance, but not unsolveable. XP has exactly the same problem, just the programs are smaller. As for "buggy"? lol what malware-infested copy did you download? icon_lol.gif Even RC2 was less buggy than XP SP2! Supports *FAR* more hardware than XP ever did aswell. Recognised my HD3870 without any fuss, whereas XP likes me to stick a CD in and download and install loads of shit im not going to use. Pretty impressive given that series of cards wasnt even out when vista was released!

Its not the *BEST* OS, but it isn't the worst either. In fact its a huge leap up from the mess that XP was. Not that that is saying much mind... even windows 98 was better than XP! icon_lol.gif The problem people has with vista is the fact that its a bit different and things aren't where they expect them to be. This isnt a problem with vista. in fact the navigation issues people have with vista is purely because of the totally naff layout of XP! People arent used to things being where they actually would expect them to be, so they spend hours hunting around not realising its right infront of them. You dont need to remember to go to My Computer and click the "Tools" button just to map a network drive. Its right there in any right-click menu from any folder for you. Or maybe you want to look at your network info? Unlike XP, where the info is spread across about 10 different windows (half of which are pretty similar), its all accessed from a single place, with just a couple of sub-windows. And need I even mention the clumsy search box of XP? So vista is annoying to get used to, but once you are you'll never give XP a second look.

Anyway as to the topic at hand - as has already been said DX10 on XP isn't going to happen. closest you'll get is an emulation layer inbetween the DX10 game and the DX9 software which will fool the game into thinking its running on DX10 and fooling the DX9 layer into thinking the game isn't DX10 by only passing it the stuff thats either compatible or convertable with DX9.

On the plus side however, DX10 games are generally being written so that they have a DX9 compatability mode which essentially integrates the aforementioned "emulation" into the game itself. Some others are opting to realease their games simply in two flavors (one for DX10 and one for DX9), so its not like you're completly stumped just yet.

The other thing no one seems to have mentioned is that DX10 drivers are only half the battle. those drivers mean sweet FA if you dont have the DX10 *HARDWARE* to support it aswell, so that's something also to think about if you happen to be upgrading to Vista for the purposes of DX10 icon_wink.gif

MC Hairmaster

MC Hairmaster
  • GA Private
  • 199 posts
  • xfire:bluken
  • Xbox / GFWL:MC Hairmaster
  • PSN:Want one...
  • Gamer Army ID:3759
I attempted DX10 on XP but all it did was trick DxDiag into thinking it was running DX10 not DX9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users