Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New 8800GT, now i need better cooling.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

uberm1cro

uberm1cro
  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • xfire:l337est
  • Xbox / GFWL:THA MAN HAMMER
Alright so i ordered my 8800GT from newegg last week and now my computer seems to run noticeably hotter than before. I need to know where to place some more fans...

Thanks icon_smile.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
your airflow is perfect. all you can really do is get higher-flow fans to replace the current ones, keeping in mind that it will proceed to sound like a jet engine if you do icon_wink.gif

only other options are water or more extreme cooling, either of which i advise against unless you really want to tinker hardcore

more heat is inevitable when you put higher power components inside of a case. but unless youre having stability issues, you have nothing to worry about

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
  • Interests:Chewing bubble gum and kicking ass... and I'm all outta gum!
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:3318
  • Company:Alpha
For my old computer, I had a special video card cooler. I forgot what brand/model it was since I gave my old computer to a friend. But i can tell you that it took up two pci/w/e slots and it received power from the PCU. you put it above, or more commonly below the video card, it took air from underneath the motherboard and wooshed it out the back of the computer.

EDIT: but than of course, there's going to be more stuff in your computer, therefore less airflow. The choice is up to you.

TheCh*ckenFace

TheCh*ckenFace
  • Members
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Food, drink, films, games, music and other stuff humans tend to enjoy...
Although not a personal fan (no pun intended), how about a rear exhaust pci fan? Some of them can push out a hell of a lot of air.

special3yj3.jpg
...the forums have gone down hill since those days :(

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
QUOTE (TheCh*ckenFace @ Jul 31 2008, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although not a personal fan (no pun intended), how about a rear exhaust pci fan? Some of them can push out a hell of a lot of air.

I think we are talking about the same thing lol.
This is what I had before: http://www.ncix.com/...nufacture=ANTEC

uberm1cro

uberm1cro
  • Members
  • 111 posts
Hmm
I was thinking about putting an 80MM fan under the other 80mm one on the side, but i don't know how i would install it

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (uberm1cro @ Jul 31 2008, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm
I was thinking about putting an 80MM fan under the other 80mm one on the side, but i don't know how i would install it

dremel and screws, no doubt icon_wink.gif

uberm1cro

uberm1cro
  • Members
  • 111 posts
Hmm is there an alternative if i don't have a dremel?

It's ME!

It's ME!
  • GA Private
  • 1,605 posts
QUOTE (uberm1cro @ Jul 31 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm is there an alternative if i don't have a dremel?

borrow one? or buy the thing i recommended?
http://www.ncix.com/...nufacture=ANTEC

TheCh*ckenFace

TheCh*ckenFace
  • Members
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Food, drink, films, games, music and other stuff humans tend to enjoy...
QUOTE (It's ME! @ Aug 1 2008, 02:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
borrow one? or buy the thing i recommended?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...nufacture=ANTEC

Yea man, that's it. I mean if you CPU cooling is as gd as its gonna get and the case fans are maxed out, that the best best solution unless you want something extreme... its easier than fitting a new fan on you gfx card which is damn annoying!

special3yj3.jpg
...the forums have gone down hill since those days :(

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
IS this about your computer in general or just your videocard? In the latter case I'd say an aftermaerkt cooler is the way to go.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

uberm1cro

uberm1cro
  • Members
  • 111 posts
Kind of both...because i think my cases temp is kinda on the high side which is making my gfx cards fan run faster, thus making it louder...
My case is at 30C according to the front temp gauge...shouldn't my case be blowing out slightly cool air rather than warm air?

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
I wouldn't worry about reported 'case temps' to be honest. It's merely and indication

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
I wouldn't worry about reported 'case temps' to be honest. It's merely an indication..

uberm1cro

uberm1cro
  • Members
  • 111 posts
I know but I opened my case and i feel the heat coming out and its not as cool as my friends computer with like 2 more 80mm on the side

teh_pVp3r

teh_pVp3r
  • Members
  • 299 posts
  • xfire:guildy
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mazy14
for the 8800GT, I'd recommend the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev.2 I have it, it is very quiet and keeps my 8800GT very cool. Around 30 at Idle, I think 50 or more under load, cause its summer. It was the same as my old XFX cooler that was stuck at 100%, only this one is a lot quieter. I'd also recommend the Turbo Module, its necessary IMO.

If you really cant fix the heat in your case, get a new one, the Antec Twelve Hundred icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users