Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[360/ps3] Soul Calibur Iv

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3

Published by: Namco Bandai
Developed by: Project Soul
Genre: Fighting
Number of Players: 1-2
Release Date:
US: July 29, 2008
Console: X360/PS3

Summer is here, and there’s a fantastic new way to spend it. Soul Caliber 4 has arrived at last. The game now boasting over 30 playable characters, weapon fighting combat, online play, and the addition of the star wars universe – allowing yoda, darth vader, and the apprentice from “The Force Unleashed” (coming in September) to be played.

For those unfamiliar with the SC series, Soul Caliber is a fighting game that uses weapon combat. Each character is equipped with a different weapon allowing for many creative combat animations and fighting techniques. It’s got its own creative fighting engine and uses the idea of weapon combat and transforms it into a very solid fighting game. I would say back in the days of Soul Caliber 1 & 2 the fighting generally appealed to more new players, as in most cases it could be easy to button mash your way to victory. Now Soul Caliber 4 has revamped its fighting engine to still appeal to the mass gaming audience but also really show its colours to the hardcore veterans of the series or those willing to put the time in to get good.

I heart Talim <3

There are many different moves for each character (except character clones) but to really pull of the powerful moves on some characters it will take some time to master the button combinations. The problem with the combat in SCIV is that while there are many different types of moves, for the most part in fights, I only find myself using my core moves. Some basic horizontal and vertical slashes and I will have the enemy on the ground. While this could be because the game is new and players are still trying to master their skills, it shows that many players will generally be able to get away with button mashing their way to victory. The more complicated and stylish moves are there, don’t get me wrong, but in order to pull them off your going to have to get really good and hope your opponent doesn’t get all up in your face with random button mash combos. This really shows that only the extremely talented players in the game will really take advantage of their skill, while others may be troubled and feel that players play ‘cheap’. Most of the time in fighting games, the more time you put into it, the idea is that you will crush people who haven’t played as much as you. While the reasons stated above may hurt this ideal that fighting games have, it’s not always 100% true when it comes to combat in this game. A new player may be able to button mash his way to victory against you a few times, but generally you will have the edge and should be able to dominate.

For those that do not know, the Xbox 360 version of SCIV comes packaged with Yoda, while the PS3 version gets Darth Vader. Both games also come with the apprentice from “The Force Unleashed”. While I feel that the apprentice has a really balanced feel to him, I just can’t get over the fact that Yoda is broken. Yes, Yoda could possibly be the worst character added to the SC series. Anyone who’s played their share of SCIV will tell you that Yoda is unfair. He is small, so any of your high attacks which you would normally use will go right over his head, added to that you also cannot grab or throw him. Those two things are such significant handicaps to Yoda that it makes him broken. You just can’t take a fight with Yoda seriously, or call it fair. As much as I wanted to believe that Yoda couldn’t be broken, I’m sorry to say that he is just plainly overpowered. Even though Yoda is an issue, I wouldn’t say that this will ruin your gameplay experience when it comes down to it. There are plenty of other balanced characters to choose from, which still gives a great fighting experience.

SCIV has added four completely new things to the table. Now every character in the game has their own personal critical finishes. Essentially a critical finish is a stylish CGI video showing your character finishing off your opponent. Don’t worry though, although a critical finish kills a player in 1 hit, getting all the requirements to pull off a critical finish are rare especially in a normal battle with someone online. It all has to do with how much you or your opponent blocks. The idea of critical finishes is to make you think more about focusing on offensive attacks rather than cowering and blocking throughout matches. Overall I am very pleased with the addition of critical finishes, the CGI video’s are beautiful and have to be seen, and can add some great excitement if you manage to pull one off. Not to mention that it adds more tactics to how you plan on taking out your opponents.

Yoda and The Apprentice

Secondly, SCIV has now added the “tower of lost souls” to the main single player experience. While previous soul caliber games came packaged with Story and Arcade mode (which still exist in SCIV) tower of lost souls in a completely new addition which allows players to either ascend the tower fighting many different bosses or descend down the tower fighting waves and waves of enemies. Again, this is a welcome addition to the SC series, this will add a lot of playtime value to the game, because not only is it all ranked, but the further you get down the tower to more new weapon, armor, and items you will receive. This brings us to the next fantastic feature of Soul Caliber IV - Character customization! Basically you can pick any character in the roster (or make your own character) and upgrade them, change the way they look (hairstyles, armor, weapons), and preference a character to your liking. This really adds great dimensions to the game as it brings out many different creations from different players around the world. You can take your custom characters online and fight in ranked matches. In fact in some online games I’ve played, I’ve seen people create characters that look like Bruce lee and a character that looked like Cloud from FFVII. It’s a very awesome addition to the SC series and will please SC vets and new players alike. You can’t deny that making your own character from scratch is not awesome. Upgrading their armor, making them better defensively, offensively, or raising your HP, it’s all so sweet. There are also skill sets that allow you to choose between different skills. Some skills will prevent you from getting grabbed, while others will lower the chances of you getting a ring out. Even if for some reason you don’t like this, you can just play standard ranked matches that disclude all skills, and weapon, damage, and HP bonuses.

Finally the most important new addition to SCIV is the online play. There’s really nothing to be disappointed at when it comes to the online play. I would say that this is the bread and butter of the game. It will be the sole reason that will keep you coming back. When you play ranked matches you start at level 1, and the more battles you win the higher you will level up. It’s addicting and will make you strive to get better. Out of all the games I’ve played online so far, which is probably over 85 by now only 2 or 3 have lagged, and the lag wasn’t bad at all. So don’t worry about lag, it’s much better than DOA4 when it comes to lag. The Online is seamless, fun, and another great addition to SCIV.

The last great thing about this game is the level of detail that is put into the graphics. Each character looks fantastic as well as each piece of armor and every emotion. The game feels very polished and the graphic style is very vivid and bright. I would say it’s one of the better graphics in a fighting game that I have seen. The artistic design is wonderful. Not to mention that with all these highly detailed graphics the game still runs seamlessly at 60 frames per second, staying true to its fast paced fighting.

Closing Comments
Soul Caliber IV is a fighting game designed for new players and veterans alike. The combat is fun and stylish, but generally players without much experience can still beat the most experienced players by button mashing. Not only that, but the moves used to KO the player can be repetitive and aren’t always the more intense moves to pull off. It’s not the biggest of problems, but it can dampen your fun when you lose to a level 2 from weak vertical slashes. Looking past that though, there are so many different things to complete and unlock in the game it will keep you busy for a very long time. Even if you’re not playing online, you will find many different things to accomplish throughout the single player experience that will strengthen your love for Soul Caliber. You should not be disappointed with this game and it could make a welcome addition to your game library if you decide to pick it up this summer.

Presentation - 9.0 – Adding characters from star wars, lots of unlockables, and a fantastic atmosphere make this all very enjoyable.

Graphics – 9.0 – Amazing detail found throughout every character. Bright and vivid graphics make this game very beautiful, and best of all it’s all running at 60FPS. Excellent fighting animations.

Sound – 8.0 – Enjoyable fighting music with subpar English voice acting.

Gameplay - 8.5 – Over 30 characters, Online play, Character customization, countless stylish moves to learn. Appeal to new players is very prevalent, button mashers can get far in this game.

Lasting Appeal – 9.5 – Lots to unlock, tons of characters to learn, and online play to get your soul burning and keep it burning for a long time.

Overall – 8.6/10
(not an average)

Plasmic Fury's Rating Scale

10 = Masterpiece
Not all games are perfect, but a 10 comes close and is something very speical and rare - It is without a doubt a must buy regardless of what genre's you like.

9.5 - 9.9 = Increadible
Titles that get in this score range are fantastic achievements in design, gameplay, and story - usually all of the above. These are titles at the top of their field and are worhtly of your hard earned dollars.

9.0 - 9.4 = Outstanding
If a game gets in this range you know that it is a worthwhile experiance with only a few minor flaws. If you are the least bit interested in the series/genre it is recommended for a buy.

8.0 - 8.9 = Great
A strong gaming experiance that misses some key elements in a few areas. While still highly recommended for a buy, if you are not interested in the genre/series these games could be skipped.

7.0 - 7.9 = Decent
A title that is still quite fun but has significant flaws which drag down the gameplay, hindering a good experiance throughout the game. Games that fall under this score are recommended for a rent or quite possibilty a buy if you are a fan of the series.

4.0 - 6.9 = Poor
A generic title that doesn't offer anything new to the table with obvious and serious flaws. Games under this category are not advised for a buy although you may be able to squeeze some fun out of them with a rent.

0.1 - 3.9 = Terrible
Titles that ensure a terrible gaming experiance. Do not buy or rent, just avoid them at all costs.

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 10:48 PM.

Terrodar

Terrodar
  • GA Private
  • 160 posts
  • xfire:uberterro
  • Xbox / GFWL:Terrodar
  • Gamer Army ID:3989
Good review! Completely agree with you,definetely worth a buy.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
Copying my response from your review thread over at puren00bage

QUOTE ("bloodvayne")
Well I knew you've only played it for a few days since it's only been out for a few days, but if you insist on me reading it (knowing it's too early) I'll point out from the review things that make it more obvious that you reviewed too early.

You're already stating that the game is easy to button mash you way to victory. There's no way in hell that that's true. You've even said yourself you haven't really gotten skilled playing as anybody.
This leads me to believe you also haven't gotten used to the blocking systemn prevalant thru soul calibur games. If you're good at blocking nobody will be able to button mash against you and win.
Nobody.

This is true in most fighters, but especially in the Soul Calibur series.

You also should change the review to just the 360 version, since you're talking about Yoda but not Darth Vader.
But then with Yoda, this early you're already calling him a broken character. You're not skilled enough to make this judgement, because you haven't had/played the game long enough to make this judgement.
I've already read on other sites that Yoda has a bunch of perks to him that balance out the unbalanced-ness of his short stature.
I doubt he's unbalanced, he just has some perks to him that makes you have to adjust your playstyle properly to beat him.

Why didn't you go into detail about the other single-player modes? and the offline multiplayer modes? And other types of unlocks?
It feels you just tried to review things that were new to you, but not necessarily things that would be new to new players of the series.
So basically, it feels like you just wrote a review based on hype you had/have for the quality, but not the entire quality of the game.

And altho it doesn't really have anything to do with my statement of you reviewing too early, you went on like character customization is new to the series.
It was in Soul Calibur 3 icon_razz.gif

Soul Calibur 3 wa such a shitty game too, just because of bad fighting mechanics.
You couldn't tell that the mechanics were shitty until you've had experience trying to get good at it.
I'm worried that soul calibur 4 is the same way, so I'm waiting till it has been out for a while, so people will have more knowledge of the fighting mechanics.
There's just no way you can come up with a well thought out review this early on...

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
touche bloodvanye touche icon_razz.gif

I do know a lot about blocking and using just impacts and parrying and all that BS. I made it clear in my review that those who are extremely talented at the game will still rape. But the general concessus is that people will feel the game is "cheap". Many battles can be won not only in single player but also in multiplay by using the same combination of attacks.

The attacks that require me skill to pull off, often dont come into play because somebody is spaming you will short fast attacks, and of course u can still win, by using some logic. Of course though, that could all change in a few months when everyone gets more comfortable with the combat system.

Yoda IS broken, why would they make a character that cannot be grabbed? I mean come on, he shouldnt be taken seriously. Anyone who plays SCIV who has little to lots of experiance will tell you that man.

I still think I know enough about this game to give it a fair review. The combat system is great, Im just saying, its more button mash friendly then other fighters.

hasjustbeenpwned

hasjustbeenpwned
  • Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • xfire:Hasjustbeenpwnd
  • Interests:games, computers and bitches
thanks i was waiting for someone to post a review for this icon_smile.gif . but i was wondering is nightmare as slow in this one as he was in soul caliber 2?

Squatchface

Squatchface
  • Members
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Games an' stuf
  • Xbox / GFWL:Squatchface
Good review, I agree with almost the entire thing.

And to guy asking about Nightmare, I think he is a little bit faster now (not too much so).

Ripper

Ripper
  • GA Private
  • 311 posts
  • Steam ID:-hurricane-
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ripper223
  • Gamer Army ID:1371
Cant wait to get my hands on the game, i've never played a soul caliber before and feel this is a good one to start at

and you forgot about the boob physics

StuHTID

StuHTID
  • Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Gaming (0bv), Internet, Music (Listening, DJin &amp; Producting), Rugby, Digital Graphic &amp; Game Design.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Distorted Stu
i enjoyed number 3 loads.
may get 4. If what you said about Yoda though, i will not be happy.
I'm an troll, just ignore me.

Jackabo

Jackabo
  • Members
  • 283 posts
  • xfire:jackabol33t
  • Interests:Gaming, Sport and friends.
  • PSN:Jackabo101
I pretty much agreed with everything you said in that.

Great review icon_biggrin.gif

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Actually, I've found that Yoda, can not touch a character like Siegfried, he just rapes the living hell out of Yoda.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Aug 7 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I've found that Yoda, can not touch a character like Siegfried, he just rapes the living hell out of Yoda.

Not at all. With yoda, you can just block all of sigfrieds attacks then hit him back, and you wont be able to grab yoda to fuck him up, not to mention the horizontal attacks from sigfried will go right over yodas head to help him even futher.

As long as yoda blocks and counter attacks every so ofter he would rape sigfried.

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Games and guns.
  • Xbox / GFWL:fpsmasterer
  • PSN:fps_gene
  • Gamer Army ID:3891
Most def. I played it for only a few hours because my 360 got red ringed, but it's fantastic...

I hate fighting games, but this is an exception. And I agree on two things I've read in this thread:

Yoda, is indeed, cheap because of his teeny asshole stature, but he's just 1 character that's broken/unfair amongst 30+. So that I couldn't care about much.

The button mashing, yes it's easy to notice who is and who isn't. And it may be easy to avoid and counter it, but I'm not a good fighting game player, so it's still difficult for me. I've been training (with those few hours) and was able to easily pick up different combos and moves and noticed how people online, for example, couldn't do the same and instead mashed the shit out of B and A attacks without any thought. Though I'm not good, like I said before, it was easy to see who was worse. My favorite thing to do when someone is repeating the same combo (I use a custom char with Mitsurugi fighting style [I remade MGS4's Raiden]) is block the first wave of shit, tap up or down to go around, hit <- B+K to get into a diff. stance, and by the time they realize I'm about to fuck them in the ass, they can't do anything about it and I finish off with B.

Great game, and a great pickup, no rent.

The only problem I actually have to complain about is that the story is useless.
eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
2x eVGA 8800GTS (G92) in SLI
250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
120GB Old Ass Maxtor IDE HDD

Darkapoc

Darkapoc
  • GA Private
  • 1,099 posts
  • xfire:conker111
  • Xbox / GFWL:darkapoc pwns
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Gamer Army ID:3741
Is it REALLY worth my $100?

Last time i bought a game was gtaIV and i played it for around 2 weeks

QUOTE (Master C @ Feb 16 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a girl ever tells a you what to do, regardless of the circumstances, you should totally back hand her across the face.

Just to remind her of her place.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Darkapoc @ Aug 9 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it REALLY worth my $100?

Last time i bought a game was gtaIV and i played it for around 2 weeks

No, If money is extremely precious to you, and your not big into fighters then this game could easily be skipped or rented.

Its a great game dont get me wrong, but its not a blockbuster hit.

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
I absolutely loved the 2nd soul calibur. If I loved the 2nd one, think I'll love the 4th?
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Rehd @ Aug 10 2008, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely loved the 2nd soul calibur. If I loved the 2nd one, think I'll love the 4th?

Yes.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
I absolutely hated the 3rd Soul Calibur. If I hated the 3rd one, think I'll hate the 4th?

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Aug 10 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely hated the 3rd Soul Calibur. If I hated the 3rd one, think I'll hate the 4th?

unfourtantnly Ive never played 3, so Im not sure what its like.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
I'd say Yoda was unbalanced if I could actually figtht good with him. Out of all of the characters he's my least favorite to play as.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Jamie

Jamie

I can't stop crying ;(

• Members
  • 2,305 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:SurprisedPlanet
I think I had number 3? On the gamecube - or maybe it was older, and it was pretty awesome, saw the advert for the new one, but was thinking why the hell is their star wars characters in it? I may give it a purchase after reading this review though.
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 20 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie, just go smoke some crack; you'll feel better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users