Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Official Animal Crossing City Folk Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Joby

Joby

I love it when a plan comes together.

• Retired Staff
  • 6,538 posts
  • xfire:joby67
  • Interests:Well a young man<br />He ain't got nothin' in the world these days<br />I said a young man<br />Ain't got nothin' in the world these days
  • Steam ID:purepwnagejoby
  • Wii:0958641680091840
I've always been a big fan of the Animal Crossing series, dating way back to its release on the Cube back in 2002.

The game was first announced during Nintendo's (disappointed) conference, and frankly its the only game I'm really looking forward to. From what we've heard, the game is going to be the first to utilize WiiSpeak, and even allows you to hook up a usb keyboard to chat through the game. Multiplayer it seems has been totally revamped, so it ought to provide interesting experiences.

You can view some of the screenshots put out after E3 here.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm totally shitting myself over this game. A revamped Wild World or not, I'm really looking forward to this game.

So, discuss or post updates and news, I'll try to update the OP as much as I can.

Update: Check out the trailer, and gameplay footage here. Thanks UDP !

Edited by Joby, 20 August 2008 - 01:12 PM.

QUOTE (Plasmic Fury @ Oct 30 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
brb not picking up any woman

A completely unbiased review...

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
i heard the city isnt that big... i was hoping for more of an mmo kinda feel when i enter the city. meh. still buying it though. i was addicted to Wild worlds, (DS version) but i really wanted nintendo to release a wii version. plus, FUCKING WII SPEAK. possibly the only good thing that came out of E3...

Destructor

Destructor
  • Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Video Gaming (PC mostly, also arcade shmups)<br />Chess<br />Linux/computers<br />Sci-fi (Dune, Star Wars, whatever)<br />Martial Arts<br />Philosophy
  • Steam ID:Destruct0r
  • PSN:kracine
  • Wii:5323779916910511
QUOTE (Myth @ Jul 28 2008, 04:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i heard the city isnt that big... i was hoping for more of an mmo kinda feel when i enter the city. meh. still buying it though. i was addicted to Wild worlds, (DS version) but i really wanted nintendo to release a wii version. plus, FUCKING WII SPEAK. possibly the only good thing that came out of E3...

Wii Motion+ . . . .
Current blog entry: The Future of Gaming According to Bobby Kotick
You are Likely to be Eaten by a Grue

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
QUOTE (Destructor @ Jul 28 2008, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wii Motion+ . . . .

which should have been how the wii remotes were made in the first place?

Good, but still very disappointing

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
I think Nintendo drop the ball to deliver a brand new experience in this franchise that was much needed, too bad we just got another 'update' to the N64 game.

Lt ledhead

Lt ledhead
  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • xfire:ledhead93
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lt ledhead
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
It looks pretty cool, their using all the new features so I'm sure this game might provide some fun.

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Pwning, writing, reviewing, music composition, acting, programming
  • Xbox / GFWL:BogusMeatFactor
  • Wii:6374897161850475
  • Gamer Army ID:3688
  • Company:Golf
There is disappointment abound for me with this new iteration of the Animal Crossing Series. There is no motion controlled actions, a downtown area that has....a hair salon, a black market, a museum, Gracie's clothing store, a coffee shop and an auction house....wait.....all of these things existed in one form or another in the previous animal crossings, now, though, lumped together in one place.

That does little to add to the world of animal crossing, as these things have already been done. I hope that, with more time to learn about the upcoming game, we will see more new features and new events that happen more commonly that will change the way we experience playing Animal Crossing. Having a fishing tournament with friends is nothing new.

Let's see what they do first, we do not know all of the pieces to the big puzzle, but from the picture I see now, I am not that excited.

Silverslug

Silverslug

Best Console Contributor 2006

• GA Private
  • 5,961 posts
  • xfire:fruitsofherwomb
  • Xbox / GFWL:fruitsofherwomb
  • Gamer Army ID:118
I already suggested along time ago stuff I wanted to see in this game and all will probably be turned down. I know Nintendo said they won't use the weather channel in Animal Crossing, so lame!

BogusMeatFactory

BogusMeatFactory
  • GA Corporal
  • 636 posts
  • Interests:Pwning, writing, reviewing, music composition, acting, programming
  • Xbox / GFWL:BogusMeatFactor
  • Wii:6374897161850475
  • Gamer Army ID:3688
  • Company:Golf
QUOTE (Silverslug @ Jul 28 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I already suggested along time ago stuff I wanted to see in this game and all will probably be turned down. I know Nintendo said they won't use the weather channel in Animal Crossing, so lame!

Just read your wants and those are all incredibly viable requests. Tying the in-game weather to the real world weather seems completely reasonable. If sega can do it with nights, then dear lord Nintendo, you can do it too.

The jobs gripe is there too, although the DS added a mini-fishing contest with other animals, that still isn't enough. Give jobs like, building gardens for your animals, or helping them get items out of a tree i.e. "Help, I got my flying disc stuck in a tree somewhere around here, can you help me find it?" and you are tasked in shaking trees to get it. Or even scavenger hunts where townsfolk will give you clues to were buried treasure is, or a person to talk to, to get more clues. That is the sort of thing that would really spice up the gaming experience, hopefully they do that.

The competitive edge with friends would be great and I love that idea where you are constantly connected to your friends towns, getting information on what they are doing and how they are improving their town. That would definitely add a more life-like and constantly changing world that you will be playing in.

My largest agreement with you is on the clothing factor. I have always wanted a clothing creation tool that allowed for complete customization. A shirt and pants design option would be great. What would be even better would be a shirt design tool that didn't warp around the clothing. Say for instance, you wanted to make a shirt that looked like you were wearing a tuxedo. This is completely impossible in the Animal Crossing world, because the clothing creation tool puts the design on both the front, back AND sleeves of the shirt, giving you a tuxedo on all four sides of your character. Give us the ability to add a design for each sleeve, the front and back of the shirt separately so that we can have an even more unique wardrobe (I would love to create a GA BDU). With the pants option, allow us to pick from different designs like long and short pants. This could be applied to hats and umbrellas as well.

There is a great tedium in the game that is defined by a single player experience. If you have played the game with other people, you can see that the experience changes greatly. When playing the game with just myself to a town, fishing was the constant staple. First I paid off my house completely, then I collected every bug, fish, fossil and artwork, then I collected furniture and then I helped get the perfect town. It was a lather rinse repeat experience.

When I played the game with my fiance, who is a huge fan of the series, the game changed drastically. Now, there was a second person in the world acting out, interacting with the townsfolk, sending letters, leaving messages and helping out in the upkeep of the town. What was great was, there was no communication of her activities to me outside of the game. We never talked about what we did in the game to each other outside of the game. We would leave presents, send each other on scavenger hunts and leave riddles and puzzles for each other to figure out. The game became more dynamic with each others interactions, making the experience more entertaining in the long run.

It is hard for the game to be really fun with multiple people playing, though, because of the mutual need to compete. For instance, in the gamecube animal crossing, there was always 3 holes every day to dig up a fossil or gyroid. When I played with my brothers, they would rush to dig up the holes, leaving nothing for me when I played. The same went for the golden rock and the jobs that the animals would give, leaving me to just grind out fishing. It's important to learn moderation and a desire to leave some of the experiences for your friends. Also it is important to give them unique experiences and games to play with the tools given. It takes some time and some imagination, but when you get down to it, when you do that, the game is much more fun for everyone involved.

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
I didn't like the addition of Mii-Characters... it completely spoiled the whole art-style of the game... remove, please. icon_sad.gif On the topic of Wii-Motion Plus, they should have just implemented it into the Wii controller, and had people come into the store, pay an extra $10 (or how much ever this beast is going to cost), and get the new controller in return for their old ones. Too many peripherals! icon_sad.gif

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
I'm really looking forward to it, especially since I've only played it on GC for a few days, so having online is a totally new experience for me.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Higgy

Higgy
  • Members
  • 922 posts
  • xfire:mustbehiggy
  • PSN:mustbehiggy
  • Wii:7476262370009001
I'll probably get this, but I was hoping for something actually more like that MySims thingy with Animal Crossing. Where you could go to certain locations like a cave for fossil digging etc.. that would be better than like "Oh a random x on the floor... A FOSSIL ZOMG!!" ... ya know?

I tell you one thing I hope they put back in the game that I really missed going from cube to DS... The events like Halloween and Christmas. I liked them on the cube.. all the freaks running around and ghosts and candy. I dunno, it was just something funky that was also happening in the real world. So I hope they put in holidays this time.

The Man

The Man
  • Members
  • 2,843 posts
  • xfire:menchions
  • Interests:RUSH
  • Xbox / GFWL:MunchBunchNL
  • PSN:Don't Have PS3
  • Wii:6421140839796455
  • Gamer Army ID:704
Fuck yeah. Can't wait for this baby to come out. Wii Speak will be a fun attatchment, but certainly not as a room-wide microphone. I can guarantee that some third party company will make a headset for the Wii eventually. It's going to be great. Just finished paying off my loan in Wild World yesterday (No cheats, no turnip sales, no action replay, I did it the hard way), and now I'm hyped for City Folk.

A heads up for mods, this thread isn't gonna be 56k friendly.
______

The Man

The Man
  • Members
  • 2,843 posts
  • xfire:menchions
  • Interests:RUSH
  • Xbox / GFWL:MunchBunchNL
  • PSN:Don't Have PS3
  • Wii:6421140839796455
  • Gamer Army ID:704
North American Release Date: November 16, 2008

This is going to be a fun school year.

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
Not sure if this was posted... The Trailer. Here's a gameplay video as well.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Ineffable

Ineffable

Gimme dat chawklit!

• Global Moderators
  • 7,206 posts
  • PSN:Ineff_
I'm not going to like playing with Wii Speak.
"If your a guy your got big boobs, if your a girl you got little boobs"

Fin

Fin
  • Members
  • 1,347 posts
this game looks like something that is made for.... 5 year old kids.. Someone explain to me why this is a good game again?

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
QUOTE (Fin @ Aug 14 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this game looks like something that is made for.... 5 year old kids.. Someone explain to me why this is a good game again?

Cause it was cute, relaxing, fun, and it was pretty big back in Japan. (Think, dobutsi no mori (sp?) was on the N64, so yeah it was pretty with the times compared to stuff like the sims)

And when the gamecube title hit, it was a sleeper wonder (TBH, I played it for 2.5 years, and I dig it out every so often when I feel a bit nostalgic)

The DS version was good because it was handheld, but I rushed that one and it fizzled out of interest for me really quickly.

The trick to animal crossing is to treat it the opposite of an MMO; don't spend all day grinding fruit to pay off your debt, just take it slow and easy.

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

Killswitch571

Killswitch571
  • Members
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Video Games<br />Girls<br />Sports<br /><br />That's really about it..
  • Steam ID:nigel509
  • Xbox / GFWL:Killswitch571
  • Wii:4596-9430-4703
Wow, I'm really excited for this..
I LOVED Animal Crossing for the cube and it was the most fun I've ever had during science class on my ds !! icon_smile.gif

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
Animal Crossing goes to Australia with a new name

By Reno, 12 Sep, 2008 - 9:03 PM - Animal Crossing: City Folk was unveiled with Wii Speak earlier this year at the E3 Media and Business Summit. Well, the OFLC have revealed something we didn't know.

Today a game titled Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City was classified G by the board and it is safe to assume that this is just another Nintendo title which has undertaken a name change upon hitting our shores. At this stage nothing has been announced by Nintendo and it is unknown whether the Europe version of the game will also suffer the same fate.

Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City... City folk is so much better... icon_sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users