Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[360] Too Human Demo First Impressions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Games and guns.
  • Xbox / GFWL:fpsmasterer
  • PSN:fps_gene
  • Gamer Army ID:3891
My first impressions:

When I saw the first trailer, I was balls deep into it, until he started shooting the guns, they sounded like they were shitty nerf guns by mattel. So I got "un-excited" and told it to fuck off.

Then all of the sudden (I REALLY didn't expect it) I see the demo yesterday. I tried it and so:

The demo epic fails, but it has so much potential it's almost shitting itself with it. There are a few problems that really need fixing, no doubt.

The camera... God, the fuckin' camera. If you tap the LB, it resets the camera behind you, yes, but if you're moving while you reset it kinda locks up your controls, so it feels kinda weird and it actually gave me a headache because I had to do it so often... When you press Up and Down on the D-Pad it changes the zoom level of the camera... They actually differ very minimally. When you're standing still, you can see the camera getting closer or not, but when you're in battle, if zooms out to a point where it doesn't really matter. In the end, I'm pretty sure the zoom will be useful for certain classes in the full game, ie: Bio Engineer, or heal bot, can zoom out in mid range to keep an eye on the comrades, and the ranged fighter (forgot name) can zoom out all the way, etc.

Next, the actions and movements of the characters (all of them; you, the enemies, etc) get RIDICULOUSLY FAIL. I understand what the devs tried to get at, but it just doesn't feel right nor smooth. IE: When you launch a punk in the air and follow through to juggle, they're frozen in mid-air waiting for you to ass fuck them. As well, when you fight the big machines and you jump up and juggle attack, it's weird how you just float like a butterfly (that doesn't flap it's wings) and sting like a bee (with a chance of fire damage on melee attack). Dig?

If you don't find matching armor, you'll look like a fag.

Some of the mini boss' or something, their health meters fail.

As far as I remember, these points are the bad parts, which are kind of difficult to overlook at this time... But the positive, I think, outweigh the cons.

In my first run through, I played for about 1 hour, taking 1 bathroom break. In my second run through, I added another half hour look everywhere, into every nook n' cranny, and reading everything.

Now, the feel of the game (for me) is like a different take on Diablo... And in it's essence it borrows from several games, as I've noticed:

Mass Erect:

The menu views and how you hold your items, and how you can "salvage" items to get mo' chedda'. As well, the armor designs while they look bad ass, and futuristic, have an ancient feel to them; as in: it looks like armor and acts like it, while looking bad ass, unlike Mass Erect's spandex dick armor.

Diablo & WoW:

Most likely, the multiplayer will be in lobby and it'll look like this:

"LFG Some level
LFG qowuifqwg
LFM Tank
LFM DPS
lololol 4 chan."

-Diablo

But like Diablo, it'll probably be shit stains of fun.

A dickhat worth of items, just in the demo alone. It follows the following Criteria:

Weps:

Swords (1H, 2H, Dual Wield)
Staffs (Don't know, don't care, too gay, but some neat buffs)
Hammers (Don't know, don't care, shitty reach, but high damage)

Dual Pistols (Laser, slug, plasma)
Rifles (Laser, slug, plasma)
Sniper Rifles or Explosives (I couldn't make out the icon, and I didn't find any items of this type)

Then come the Armor:

Dickhat
Chest
Shoulders
Arms
Pantaloons
Shoos

And each of those items, follow a standard item rarity scale:

White: common, or nothing special
Green: Uh... Special, I suppose.
Blue: More specialier
And the Epix Purple: Epix

I don't know if there is a higher rarity than purple as far as I know. But, white, green and blue items can be picked up, but Epix items must be "made" and you instead, pick up their blueprints, thankfully, all you need is money (called Bounty). In the Demo, there's an Epix Dragon armor set, which I almost completed, need the Gloves and Chest, but it looks absolutely rad. It even makes a "lolol, you founds epix blooprint" music.

Next there are also Runes:

Items may have open "Rune" slots, or they may have "Used Rune Slots" which are the buffs that come with the item. You can find runes with specific symbols and you may equip them to anything that has a slot, and just like in Diablo, they all have different attributes. Also, there are color runes that simply change the color of your armor... Silicon Knights, I love you for that, because then, I won't have to look like a fuckin' peacock that does massive damage. Best of all, color runes don't take up rune slots.

And, as far as I remember, that's the similarity of 2 Hugh Man and Diablo/WoW.

Next, (to complete the "Equipment" Menu) we have charms, I didn't understand 1 thing about them. They have some sort of "Quest" on them, I assume it's to activate their attribute. They technically work like an extra item, or a socketed item from WoW or Diablo, but you don't see it or anything. In the demo you can only equip 2 charms and you only find a few. 1 of them, for example, gave me the attribute of dealing "Explosive" damage, on chance. To activate this item, I had to socket like 5 runes and "find 2 secret areas," that was it's quest. But yeah, it's just a buff item, but you need to socket a shit load of shit to use it.

Now then, next we have the Stats...

Self explana-fuckin-tory.

There's also a menu to show you your moves that you can do, called "Advanced Combat."

Next, and the final menu item (that matters, if I remember) is the Skills menu.

Here is where you branch out your only character's (Champion, the most balanced of all the classes) skills.

It basically goes like this:

(Lol melee increase)
/ | \
(Add fire dmg)(air 2 air attck +)(inc guns dmg) Here, is your regular, passive buffs
| | |
(Spider sets mine) (Something happens) (Spider turns into turret) Here, is your (Y) button spider moves. You get this spider thing on your back that does neat stuff, like it says in this tree.
| | |
(Air based attk +)(all atck launch enm into air)(Something happens and enemies take xtra dmg) Here, is your (X) button battle cries. Buffs that effect the team and you, these require "Combos" to use.
| | |
(Don't remember)(Don't remember)(Don't remember) Here is your Ruiner move bound to (RB), as far as I remember, it requires combo, and it's like a "kick your ass AOE move." Unattainable in demo.
\ | /
(Your beast creature summon, it's a Wolf for the Champions) Here is your creature move bound to (Right Stick) + (Left Stick). It's also AOE, that requires combo, but it does massive amounts of dmg. Unattainable in demo.

They're unattainable because you can't a high enough level to get enough skill points. You need 6 pts in the first bubble, then 6 more in the next, then 4, then 8 and then you get beasty. The farthest I got was like level 8, I think, I don't remember) and I got up to the Battle Cry which I didn't get to use because I killed everyone already.

Everything is respeccable for money.

Next, a tree that is completely unattainable in the demo, you can't even see it. It's the alignment tree. It's like Silverfall's bullshit. You can upgrade yourself with cybernetics or stay with the human course. In the end, Cybernetics determine how good and how often you get phat lewt, and it's more strategy based, and the Human side is more twitch based. An example Silicon Knights used: "If you go the cybernetic route, you can get more ammo and faster reloading time for your gun, while if you go with the human route you have a faster fire rate."

When the game comes out, I'm prolly gonna go human (But not with the champ, I'm gonna be the DPS dude.)

Phew, now, to the gameplay.

Right away, I noticed a resemblance with Monster Hunter and Too Human. The attack controls are mapped to the control stick. Now, here are the controls:

LT: Secondary fire for Ranged weapon

LB: Tap: Reset Cam, Hold: Free look (That's the problem, when you tap, there's no delay for the game to determine that you're holding the button)

RT: Primary fire for Ranged weapon

RB: Ruiner

Left Stick: Move (Also used to combo with Right stick), targets left hand ranged weapon

LS CLEEK: idk

Right Stick: Use CQC weapon, whichever way your tilting is the way you attack, targets right hand ranged weapon

RS CLEEK: Manual reload ranged weapon

Left + Right Stick CLEEK: UNLEESH THE BEASTY

D Pad Up and Down: Zoom in & Out

D Pad Left: Turn on/off HUD

D Pad Right: Turn on/off DPS meter, lol

Y: Spider tool

X: Battle Cry

B: Dodge

A: Jump/Action

Very interesting controls, and when you start playing, it's almost natural how you switch between ranged and melee, I really like it... And aiming with ranged weapon (when you're melee class and spec) is useless, because all you have to do is hold down fire while running at the enemy and when you get close start breaking the analog stick.

Now, they did a neat combo of the analog sticks. Here are some moves (These are in any direction):

Hold R Stick Close to enemy: Attack

Hold R Stick Far from enemy: Epic dash to attack

Double tap R Stick Close: Launch enemy into air***********************

Double tap R Stick Far: Slide, attack, launch enemy into air

Etc.

Now, here's some neat moves that combine the left analog stick:

L + R Stick in Same direction Far: Sends a shockwave of sorts

L+ R Stick in Same direction Close: Does a very neat Link style round house swing into a downward slash, etc.

**************************: When you launch enemies into the air, you press A to jump after them and attack them in mid air. Now, the game says this: Tapping gives you a stronger hit, but you have to keep rhythm to keep juggling... kinda. Or you can hold the R stick and continue to juggle for a few seconds... Or something.

I'm pretty sure there will be a shit loads of more moves and special class based moves, etc.

In the end: the combat is very smooth (in spite of what I listed in the problems) and it's VERY enjoyable... And with the epix amounts of items and buffs and balls the game will have it's gonna be even better.

Oh, oh, forgot to mention, when you jump and land, you sound like you're as heavy as Master Chief... (With a big CLUNK)

And I should've mentioned this in the beginning actually, I hated the guns in the trailer, but I love them in the game... Not only do they sound better, but you can get new ones like 5 minutes into the demo.

The story for the demo actually continues from it's original trailer, where Balder (or something) was fighting the big machine with his mattel pistols. And uhh, you're on an expedition to find that asshole. What else... Oh, when you or your teammates die (this is actually pretty neat), an awesome lookin armored "Valkyrie" (the one from the loading screen) chick comes down from a beam of like that was from nowhere and picks you up and beams you up, scotty. But all you do is abruptly respawn a little farther back, no re-loading, just respawn... But the first time you see the Valkyrie is when one of your squad mates (some infantry dudes) dies and she comes down, and some dude just yells "Lol, she's taking him to Valhalla, yo."

These dudes are frikkin' extremely futuristic... Vikings.

I guess some final tacks on my first impressions... There are nodes that give you neat gifts, there are "wells" that let you connect to a cyberspace version of where you are (which is actually like a forest, meant to represent shit)... You'll see...

Well, that's it... The demo has some problems, but it's shitting a lot of potential. I'm 90% sure I'm gonna pick it up next month (when it comes out). See you guys online.

EDIT:

IMPORTANT AS FUCK:

This first impressions was written a few hours after playing the demo. Since then I was able to get accustomed to everything and actually have the camera not ruin my fun! =D

More over, I played with all the classes. Win.

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 10:46 PM.

eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
2x eVGA 8800GTS (G92) in SLI
250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
120GB Old Ass Maxtor IDE HDD

darkhen

darkhen
  • Members
  • 1,057 posts
  • xfire:darkhen
  • Interests:Bang Bang Bang<br /><br />Banging people<br />
Ill read that when i have a week spare time

Edit: Just saw the trailer, the animations are a bit Blurreehhhrhjjhghg.
Just doesnt look like anything original imo. The guy at the start even walks strangely..

]

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
I was about to tell you to post in the other Too Human demo topic instead of making a new thread, and then I realized you posted this exact same fucking thing in that topic so obviously you knew about it. Come on now.

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
Yeah, but this is an official first impressions that some people haven't gotten a chance to read and may be interested in reading.

eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jul 20 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was about to tell you to post in the other Too Human demo topic instead of making a new thread, and then I realized you posted this exact same fucking thing in that topic so obviously you knew about it. Come on now.

Actually, since it was a decently written first impression, I'll let it stay in here for now. However Bacon Deity, Please make a full review once the game comes out, as I'll then remove all first impressions from the links list.

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
QUOTE (SN3S @ Jul 21 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, since it was a decently written first impression, I'll let it stay in here for now. However Bacon Deity, Please make a full review once the game comes out, as I'll then remove all first impressions from the links list.

That's perfectly fine, that was my plan all along anyway.
eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (Bacon Deity @ Jul 20 2008, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but this is an official first impressions that some people haven't gotten a chance to read and may be interested in reading.

Hmm...yeah, no problem, at least you took the time to play that crazy fucking demo for so long to tell us about this stuff. Thank you for staying civilized even though you didn't have too. I can be a crab-applecat sometimes.

/Hope in humanity +1

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jul 22 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm...yeah, no problem, at least you took the time to play that crazy fucking demo for so long to tell us about this stuff. Thank you for staying civilized even though you didn't have too. I can be a crab-applecat sometimes.

/Hope in humanity +1

/Faith in applecat +1

*Leaves so as to not spam*

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
It's alright my child, you are forgiven

May Bacon bless you.
eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM

ATx 4 Life

ATx 4 Life
  • Members
  • 344 posts
  • xfire:ATx
  • Xbox / GFWL:ATx I Pwnstar
i played the demo for like 20 mins and then i was like wtf this isnt fun what am i doing... so i turned off the xbox and walked away. cool story huh?

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
QUOTE (ATx 4 Life @ Jul 22 2008, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i played the demo for like 20 mins and then i was like wtf this isnt fun what am i doing... so i turned off the xbox and walked away. cool story huh?

Wtf was that?
eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM

eedok

eedok
  • GA Private
  • 5,414 posts
  • xfire:eedok
  • Interests:qqq
  • Steam ID:eedok
  • Xbox / GFWL:eedok
  • Wii:3394-3242-5681
  • Gamer Army ID:1176
a common playthrough of the too human demo

ATx 4 Life

ATx 4 Life
  • Members
  • 344 posts
QUOTE (eedok @ Jul 23 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a common playthrough of the too human demo

yup

ATx 4 Life

ATx 4 Life
  • Members
  • 344 posts
good synopsis but u made it sound cooler than it really is

hasjustbeenpwned

hasjustbeenpwned
  • Members
  • 1,718 posts
  • xfire:Hasjustbeenpwnd
  • Interests:games, computers and bitches
wait.... so is it just the first 20 minutes you have to get through then it's ok cause you get used to it? cause i'm thinking about buying it and wanted to get that cleared up cause i get a lot of games and don't have the paitence for the 1st hour of crappy RPG playing.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users