Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Taking on 'The Man'

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

TubularLuggage

TubularLuggage
  • Members
  • 5,221 posts
  • Interests:Rock/Metal, Drumming, film making, my woman
I have a shitty part-time job at Burger King. Getting past how much it obviously sucks, we're given a single ten minute break for a shift of four hours or more, which is fine. However, the management insists that employees don't get a second break unless the shift is at least 15 hours.
Now, I checked Nova Scotia labor regulations, and according to them, employees are supposed to get at least 30 minutes worth of breaks for shifts of 5 consecutive hours or more.
Additionally, some employees seem to take a lot of smoke breaks. When I tried to, I was told I can't because I don't smoke. While true, I don't see why people should be rewarded for smoking.

Mainly about the first bit, do I have a case I can confront the manager with? Or am I SOL?
IPB Image

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Do it. You have a fair case.

PwnDaddy123

PwnDaddy123

Best film & movies contributor '09

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  • xfire:teh0ass0kicker
  • Interests:mothers
  • Steam ID:joeyestcool
  • Xbox / GFWL:more like gaylo
  • PSN:ballin
  • Wii:lol fkin dildo
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
Go ahead.

QUOTE (GtuFest @ Sep 19 2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SITMOS is great, one of my favorite podcasts.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jul 10 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While true, I don't see why people should be rewarded for smoking.

If they can't smoke they'll kill everyone. My advice say you're going to go smoke, but don't.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
I don't know how your country works with this kind of thing but, in the states,
you could have their ass in your wallet by years end. Breaking labor laws is
a big no-no and a quick way to end up in the unemployment line.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I'd first try doing it the mature way and talking to your manager about it. Or at least reminding him of the laws when he tells you you can't take a second break. Then you definitely have a case. The thing is he could just deny that, so getting other employe's on your side as witnesses would be a good idea.
Lastly, try to find if there's anything about breaks on paper at BK.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Weiman @ Jul 10 2008, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is he could just deny that

Not if the conversation is recorded icon_smile.gif

Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Yeah, but you don't exactly stick a microphone under someone's nose at work.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Corpus

Corpus
  • GA Private
  • 797 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:CorpuS11
  • Gamer Army ID:2298
  • Company:Bravo
In theory, you would clean house. However, can you afford the legal bills and lawyers? It's going to cost you thousands upon thousands before you get the big bucks from BK. Remember that. I'm also not sure how your system works but, tbh, it's not worth the legal fee's, and there is always a chance you could lose. Here, it's possible to dish out 10k in legal fee's and still lose, so you would be downa job, as well as a boat load of cash. Personally, I would just start working really half ass and exploiting them the best you can until you get fired. Oh and try to fuck the boss's daughter and wife/gf if you can, that's the true way to stick it to the man.

Shadowstar

Shadowstar
  • GA Private
  • 5,853 posts
  • Interests:My companion cube and cake
  • Xbox / GFWL:AznInvasion22
  • Gamer Army ID:297
My suggestion, burn the place down.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (Corpus @ Jul 10 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In theory, you would clean house. However, can you afford the legal bills and lawyers? It's going to cost you thousands upon thousands before you get the big bucks from BK. Remember that. I'm also not sure how your system works but, tbh, it's not worth the legal fee's, and there is always a chance you could lose. Here, it's possible to dish out 10k in legal fee's and still lose, so you would be downa job, as well as a boat load of cash. Personally, I would just start working really half ass and exploiting them the best you can until you get fired. Oh and try to fuck the boss's daughter and wife/gf if you can, that's the true way to stick it to the man.

He says it best. If you were at some high-level corporate office and had the time/funds to 'sue the
bastards' I'd say really go for it, but you're better off snaking food and stuff from the store until they
either fire you, or you fins a better job. It's a BK, so nobody will really care about you.

And if you can wrangle a threesome with is wife and daughter... just make sure to get it on tape and
leave it in the office, best revenge ever.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Pwnage101

Pwnage101
  • GA Sergeant
  • 2,133 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1080
  • Company:Alpha
I did this to a company i worked for... we got two, a ten and five during an 8/hr shift.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jul 10 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a shitty part-time job at Burger King. Getting past how much it obviously sucks, we're given a single ten minute break for a shift of four hours or more, which is fine. However, the management insists that employees don't get a second break unless the shift is at least 15 hours.
Now, I checked Nova Scotia labor regulations, and according to them, employees are supposed to get at least 30 minutes worth of breaks for shifts of 5 consecutive hours or more.
Additionally, some employees seem to take a lot of smoke breaks. When I tried to, I was told I can't because I don't smoke. While true, I don't see why people should be rewarded for smoking.

Mainly about the first bit, do I have a case I can confront the manager with? Or am I SOL?

You can try, worst case scenario is you lose your job but if they fired you for even asking about it then you would have a real nice case, haha. Or you could just take up smoking, even though a pack of cigarettes will probably negate like 2 or more hours of your jobs pay (I heard cigs in Canada are like over 10$ a pack?).

I'm in the the US and I've never gotten more than 20 minutes of break time for an 8+ hour shift. I usually never use my breaks anyway.

Also, here is the important part. The part about the 30 minute required break for employees working at least 5 hours...I assume you get a lunch break? If so, that lunch break counts as the 30 minutes because even if you clock out, it isn't actually required to pay you while you are on said break. If they don't give you a lunch break and they don't let you eat while on the job then you have a good case.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
I would just quit. Fast food sucks.

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (GA Sev @ Jul 10 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did this to a company i worked for... we got two, a ten and five during an 8/hr shift.

QUOTE (anatomy187 @ Jul 10 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in the the US and I've never gotten more than 20 minutes of break time for an 8+ hour shift. I usually never use my breaks anyway.

You guys really need to speak up at these kinds of jobs.

I've been working full-time jobs (8 hours a day, 6 days a week) for years, and you're supposed to be receiving
at least two 15-minute breaks and a 20-minute lunch, or a solid 30 minute lunch, whichever your company decides
to do. By just sucking it up and ignoring your breaks you're pretty much throwing a wrench in the works for all
the fair-work acts that've been around since the mills used child labor. It's there for a reason.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Syntra

Syntra
  • Members
  • 1,677 posts
  • xfire:MSN
  • Steam ID:SyntraIsCool
  • Xbox / GFWL:None
  • Wii:Noplayonline
Why would you take on Menchions? He's a cool guy ffs. icon_sad.gif
Weiman took my virginity.
Currently playing: Fallout 3 - Fifa 09 - The Orange Box

ChaosJester

ChaosJester
  • GA Colonel
  • 2,269 posts
  • xfire:theavatar2005
  • Steam ID:theavatar2006
  • Xbox / GFWL:PPGAChaosJester
  • Gamer Army ID:583
  • Company:Pi
BK in AU tries to pull that kind of crap too. You are entitled to the legal minimum of breaks for your shift times. What I've noticed is that if you speak up about it, your shifts get cut. The fast food industry is horrible to its staff. Cause most people are employed on a casual basis their work rights aren't taken too seriously and if you point out to the management that you aren't getting the breaks you get your shift cut back to either 4 hour shifts with no break or they just don't roster you on at all. It's stupid, but they can get away with it cause of the casual employment.

fs_pc.png
019epg-4.png

Orky

Orky
  • Members
  • 2,574 posts
QUOTE (Corpus @ Jul 10 2008, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-Your Mom-

Lowkee

Lowkee
  • GA Private
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:Bacheezi
  • Xbox / GFWL:Bacheezi
  • Gamer Army ID:4419
do this

QUOTE (Shadowstar @ Jul 10 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My suggestion, burn the place down.

then this

QUOTE (Andrack @ Jul 10 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just quit. Fast food sucks.

= results

no seriously, ya you have a case, but you could also find yourself without a job.

melonqueen

melonqueen

Slayer of Bees

• Retired Staff
  • 2,881 posts
  • xfire:melonqueen
  • Interests:Gaming, web design, baking/cooking, drinking, Melons
  • Xbox / GFWL:melonqueen
  • Wii:0205097351995318
  • Gamer Army ID:148
  • Company:Pi
QUOTE (TubularLuggage @ Jul 11 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, number one, why would anyone be working a 15 hour shift anyway to be able to get that second break? That's complete bullshit. Do you have a union you could join? Because they know all agreements between employees and employers front and back, plus all labour laws. They could help you come to an agreement with your employer. If there is no union, try perhaps legal aid or if there are any workers rights organisations that can help you out. I do think you are being treated unfairly. Where I work, 5 hours = a 15min break, 6 hours is a 30min, 7 hours is a 15 and a 30min and 8+ is 2x 15min and an hour. You need to have sufficient amount of breaks so that you can rest since you're on your feet all your shift and can try to prevent injuries caused by worker fatigue.
My Blog - The Retro Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users