Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how do you know when it's time to quit?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Vicarious.

Vicarious.
  • Members
  • 285 posts
QUOTE (OhHenry @ Jun 23 2008, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's also the thing, i never play to have fun, i play because i wanna be as good as i can. To me being as best as you can is more important then the fun factor. Most fps games (the most played type...css, tf2, cod4, etc) i am bored playing it, all that's left is trying to be as best as i can be. There is only 1 i am never sick of and can play all day if i have to but the game has nomore players left.

edit- oh right, if a games too easy when i first play it i seem to dump it for some reason, and i play games i suck at because i wanna be good at it. I guess you could say it's like "dumping the women that are too easy but going for the ones you can't get", in this case...can't be good at.
If you're not enjoying yourself while playing a certain game there's no way you'll never be good at that game. When you're enjoying yourself you become much more focused on the match itself and you become interested in learning all of the little tricks and strategies in the game to help better yourself. If you just get bored or frustrated with the game and only think about winning, you'll just lose focus and play bad.

n1v3k

n1v3k
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • xfire:n1v3kk
I'll tell you what I do to improve my gaming, in any game, any style.

What I usually do is learn how the game works, and when I mean how it works, I mean learning the gravity effect on your character and others, also on weapons if it applies to them, terrain effect on character/characters, physic's, network... etc. It's most of the times a keen and tiring research about the game, but it has a GREAT payback.

After that, I adapt not my gamestyle to the game, but the game to my gamestyle, so I convert the others advantages into disadvantages, and my disadvantages into advantages.
Also, I always try to see the effect of my reactions on other people, and see if it changes with time, so I can successfully "feint" some of my movements.
It's something I've learnt my self with time and self-teaching, and for the moment, it works VERY well to me.
Maybe it's because of this why my friends consider me an awesome strategist (mostly for FPS games).
Something else, I remember a passage from Sun-Tzu which went like this (or something like it): Be where the enemy doesn't think you are, and attack from somewhere unexpected at a time unexpected by him.

Oh, and, for those who don't know who Sun-Tzu is, by some he's considered the best General ever.

Twizzler Mark 4

Twizzler Mark 4
  • Members
  • 3,583 posts
  • xfire:twizzlermark4
QUOTE (n1v3k @ Jun 23 2008, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll tell you what I do to improve my gaming, in any game, any style.

What I usually do is learn how the game works, and when I mean how it works, I mean learning the gravity effect on your character and others, also on weapons if it applies to them, terrain effect on character/characters, physic's, network... etc. It's most of the times a keen and tiring research about the game, but it has a GREAT payback.

After that, I adapt not my gamestyle to the game, but the game to my gamestyle, so I convert the others advantages into disadvantages, and my disadvantages into advantages.
Also, I always try to see the effect of my reactions on other people, and see if it changes with time, so I can successfully "feint" some of my movements.
It's something I've learnt my self with time and self-teaching, and for the moment, it works VERY well to me.
Maybe it's because of this why my friends consider me an awesome strategist (mostly for FPS games).
Something else, I remember a passage from Sun-Tzu which went like this (or something like it): Be where the enemy doesn't think you are, and attack from somewhere unexpected at a time unexpected by him.

Oh, and, for those who don't know who Sun-Tzu is, by some he's considered the best General ever.

And then your finally good at something Imaginary.
Ever wonder why you click something?Is it because your curious or bored.

^everyone dose this...........I just wanna be loved
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Of course Sun Tzu is the BEST!

He created the 'Zoo'.

Unless it's a farm.

тαg

тαg
  • Members
  • 1,674 posts
  • Interests:I don't like spies.
Hi mates, i had the same issue.
I have played CoD:4 for 40hrs, got it like 3 days ago.So you can say ive pretty much been very in-social and gamed alot.
I woke up one day, and sat down to play, and wtf, i had this terriable feeling of Boredom. How was this possiable? I love this game!
Went down to eat something, do some exercises, it helps acctualy sometimes.
It didnt help, i tryed some C&C3, i just bought so i suck.
Same feeling couse i got pwned by a normal bot -.- .
Was this is? Was i tired of gaming? Fuck ?
Then i started trolling alittle bit, posting on this forum and stuff, watched some PPepisodes etc.
I got my feeling back, bought alot of Razer gear, pwned a normal bot, got 10-kill streak at CoD:4.
Now im back, PurePwnage saved me from n00bnes.
Alexc26, You win.
Goodbye Forum.

Scale

Scale
  • Members
  • 62 posts
Ok it is believe that how well you do in games is based on a whole list of things ill list all i can think off.

Good pc --Playing with 10 fps aint helping
Good gear --This isnt really a biggy but tbh i cant go without my steel or corepad

Good configration --Now this is a very important point a good friend of my great guy not so good gamer, after tweaking his stuff he just keept getting beter,
A good example is mouse acceleration imho this prevents you from gaining (learning) aim becuase your sensitivity isnt the same each move you make.

To test this place your mouse at left side of your mousepad and move it to the right side slowly now do the same thing but move fast you will see your cursor moved further while it should have moved the exact same distance.

A good config also includes binds thus not using the scroll wheel and instantly selecting the right weapons for example in css bind frags to 4 flashbangs to f and smoke to c never again throwing the wrong grenade or waisting time checking the grenade selection menu.

Use your brains --If im honest to myself there are allot of people that have beter aim then me yet i beat them becuase i use my brains instead, i use psychology allot to figure where my enemy is going to go based on previous encounters.

Well thats all i can think off, this is why im often on top of the scoreboard while there are people with beter aim then me playing.

I hope this helps you enjoy your games more icon_wink.gif

JEOKU

JEOKU
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • xfire:jeoku
I suggest playing multiple games at once in one genre... Switch off in the same day between several different fps games. This will keep you interested and help you get better at fps games in general. Learning the weird quirks in one game can sometimes apply strangely to another... giving you an advantage. I switch off between FEAR, COD4, and even a little of UT3. I started gaming fps a lot less then a year ago and my skills have quadrupled.

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
ive been playing fps since i was about 5, rts's since like 9.. thats why im good at rts

Bacon Deity

Bacon Deity
  • GA Private
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:Games and guns.
  • Xbox / GFWL:fpsmasterer
  • PSN:fps_gene
  • Gamer Army ID:3891
Either find something new or set the bots to easy... =[

I try to be good at too many things, that's why I fail... I'm decent though...
eVGA 780i Mobo
E8400 C2D 3.00GHz
2x 2GB DDR2 Corsair RAM
2x eVGA 8800GTS (G92) in SLI
250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
120GB Old Ass Maxtor IDE HDD

zilv3r

zilv3r
  • Members
  • 69 posts
QUOTE (shunted @ Jul 14 2008, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ive been playing fps since i was about 5, rts's since like 9.. thats why im good at rps

rps = real person shooter?

shunted

shunted
  • Members
  • 2,400 posts
  • xfire:360shunted
  • Steam ID:shunted
  • Xbox / GFWL:shunted
  • PSN:shunted
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
fixt

Velk

Velk
  • GA Private
  • 681 posts
  • xfire:Velkair
  • Xbox / GFWL:Velkair
  • Wii:5912664493510180
  • Gamer Army ID:2774
  • Company:Charlie
When you focus on one game, you will normally get better faster than when you're playing alot of different games (or mostly if you're switching from FPS to RTS)...

Corpus

Corpus
  • GA Private
  • 797 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:CorpuS11
  • Gamer Army ID:2298
  • Company:Bravo
There is such a thing as overplaying. It's about balence, if you literally game all the time all the time then it will get boring on you. This happened to me as of recent. So I've decided that instead of playing games for 8 hours a day, I've broken it up and split that time into anime/drawing/guitar/games. The more time you spend not playing games, the more time you appriciate it. You can only miss something when it's gone, and if you never leave the game(s) then well, you get what I'm trying to say right?

OhHenry

OhHenry
  • Members
  • 46 posts
I'm getting worse and worse by the day again. I laugh at anyone who says practice makes perfect, they are obviously wrong. Practice means get worse, not better. I'm probably the first p[erson to ever get worse and worse the more i practice, or less i practice.

Velk

Velk
  • GA Private
  • 681 posts
  • xfire:Velkair
  • Xbox / GFWL:Velkair
  • Wii:5912664493510180
  • Gamer Army ID:2774
  • Company:Charlie
QUOTE (OhHenry @ Jul 14 2008, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I laugh at anyone who says practice makes perfect, they are obviously wrong. Practice means get worse, not better.

LOL yeah right.

Twizzler Mark 4

Twizzler Mark 4
  • Members
  • 3,583 posts
QUOTE (OhHenry @ Jul 14 2008, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting worse and worse by the day again. I laugh at anyone who says practice makes perfect, they are obviously wrong. Practice means get worse, not better. I'm probably the first p[erson to ever get worse and worse the more i practice, or less i practice.

Dont play the game then.

like your playing like a zombie now if your getting worse and worse by day
it happen to me with counter strike, give it some time and I mean like 3 months
then go back to the game and see how you play icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OhHenry

OhHenry
  • Members
  • 46 posts
QUOTE (Velk @ Jul 14 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL yeah right.

Obviously it's not working so it's not a right answer.

OhHenry

OhHenry
  • Members
  • 46 posts
QUOTE (Twizzler Mark 4 @ Jul 14 2008, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont play the game then.

like your playing like a zombie now if your getting worse and worse by day
it happen to me with counter strike, give it some time and I mean like 3 months
then go back to the game and see how you play icon_biggrin.gif

Why bother, Cod 4 is full of lame cheaters now. Not a fun game anymore like the first few months. If i have no FPS i have nothing. I am not a smart player so rts is out and screw MMO's. This fuckin sucks being brutally bad at every fps game in the world.

Twizzler Mark 4

Twizzler Mark 4
  • Members
  • 3,583 posts
QUOTE (OhHenry @ Jul 14 2008, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why bother, Cod 4 is full of lame cheaters now. Not a fun game anymore like the first few months. If i have no FPS i have nothing. I am not a smart player so rts is out and screw MMO's. This fuckin sucks being brutally bad at every fps game in the world.

then my friend.
you are not a competitive player.

but

what online FPS games have you played?

SorrowNight

SorrowNight
  • Banned
  • 1,609 posts
  • xfire:Sorrownite
Quake 3 with bots? Keep setting the difficulty higher till you get a good feel for the movement speed + aiming accurately, yet very quickly.

Once you're decent at quake 3 all other FPS games should feel like cake, or similar.

Then it'll be about knowing what to do in most situations .. Don't think CoD4 is a good start if your ultimate goal is to get better at the genre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users