Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RED TEAM WINS (55% of the time, LOL)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

arcade_freek

arcade_freek
  • Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Steam ID:remistofeles
NEW YORK (AP) -- It's better to be on the red team than on the blue team in an online multiplayer shooting game, according to researchers.

The scientists studied the outcomes of 1,347 matchups between elite teams playing "Unreal Tournament 2004," a so-called first-person shooter game. The main activity in the game is running around and shooting at the avatars of the opposing team.

As is the case with most team-based online shooting games, players of Unreal Tournament can choose to be on either the red team or the blue team, and their avatars wear those colors. But that choice is not as neutral as it seems: 55 percent of the time, the red team won, according to the study published this week in the journal Cyberpsychology & Behavior.

Neuroscientist Mihai Moldovan of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark said the reason was most likely that the color red may act as a psychological distractor for men, possibly because men flush and turn red when they're angry.

"While this is really an interesting analysis, the notion of red team versus blue team has been ingrained in the Unreal Tournament series for years. We don't anticipate any immediate changes to team colors," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games, the Cary, N.C.-based developer of the series.

Another study found in 2005 that wearing red is an advantage in real-life sports. British scientists found that athletes wearing red in one-on-one events like wrestling at the 2004 Olympics were more likely to win.

The game results for the Unreal Tournament study were culled from public servers used by players around the world. Moldovan worked with researchers at the Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Bucharest, Romania, on the study.

- Peter Svensson, AP Technology Writer

I stumbled upon this on slashdot, and someone pointed to these stats (scroll down for the red/blue win stats)... seems that it happen not only in UT2K4, but in TF2 as well

discuss?

P.S: DISCLAIMER - if this study and it's data doesn't make sense for you from your personal experience... how about YOU conducting some psychology tests instead?

Borromir

Borromir
  • Banned
  • 38 posts
  • xfire:Xfire sucks
  • Xbox / GFWL:Own it
  • PSN:The PS3 Sucks worse
  • Wii:The Wii Sucks
I wouldn't argue that different colors have different effects. Red does seem more imposing icon_razz.gif, but I also I'm not sold on this right away.

I know my name should be Boromir but it was taken so I had to add the extra r.

Lone Crow

Lone Crow

teh_stockaderer

• GA Lieutenant
  • 1,339 posts
  • Interests:Anything as long as I'm relaxed. Guitar, friends, video games, etc.
  • Xbox / GFWL:MADBARZ
  • Gamer Army ID:3558
  • Company:Kilo
I remember when I was younger, I would go to Lazer Tag parties and the red team always beat the green team. I was always MVP on either team... >=D

arcade_freek

arcade_freek
  • Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • Steam ID:remistofeles
Btw that journal, CyberPsychology & Behavior, has a free issue online for those interested to browse... check it here: http://www.lieberton...om/toc/cpb/11/1

This bimonthly peer-reviewed journal explores the impact of the Internet, multi-media and virtual reality on behavior and society. This journal is a "must read" for psychologists, psychiatrists, sociologists, educators, computer scientists, business executives and opinion-makers interested in the effects of interactive technologies.

also, the TF2 stats cited are these:

Master C

Master C
  • Members
  • 5,511 posts
  • xfire:masterca
  • Xbox / GFWL:Renegade Con
  • Wii:4710238335790963
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
That difference is small enough to be dismissed as negligible and meaningless.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
  • xfire:anatomy20
  • Steam ID:anatomy187
  • Xbox / GFWL:anatomy187
  • PSN:anatomy187
  • Gamer Army ID:2743
  • Company:Delta
A 5% difference means shit. Don't scientists have better things to do...like cure cancer and whatnot?

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Well this is how they make money when they're not curing cancer icon_razz.gif

btw, those TF2 stats clealy show that goldrush is imba..

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

matchbow

matchbow
  • Members
  • 71 posts
a 5% difference is not negligible by any means. think about how many hundreds of thousands of games were recorded. the law of large numbers implies that with that many cases, the experimental probability of winning as red should be pretty damn close to its theoretical probability. something like, under 1% away from it. the theoretical probability is 50%. but with the experimental probability at 55%, it's 5% off, meaning, it varies from the theoretical probability by the amount of 10%. that's far from nothing. if you had to choose between something with a 50%, 50.1%, or 55% chance of killing you, you sure as hell wouldn't pick the one with a 55% chance. but it wouldn't matter if you picked the 50% or 50.1% one because that difference is actually negligible.
and if you look at the stats for tf2, 8/9 maps had red winning more. that's 88.9% of them having red winning more. that's pretty good data. add to that, the stuff about the psychological effects of red.

yeah, quit being an ass and saying random shit. scientists can do what they want, maybe they like cancer the way it is, hm?

the_wandererererrr

the_wandererererrr
  • Banned
  • 677 posts
QUOTE (matchbow @ Jun 14 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a 5% difference is not negligible by any means. think about how many hundreds of thousands of games were recorded. the law of large numbers implies that with that many cases, the experimental probability of winning as red should be pretty damn close to its theoretical probability. something like, under 1% away from it. the theoretical probability is 50%. but with the experimental probability at 55%, it's 5% off, meaning, it varies from the theoretical probability by the amount of 10%. that's far from nothing. if you had to choose between something with a 50%, 50.1%, or 55% chance of killing you, you sure as hell wouldn't pick the one with a 55% chance. but it wouldn't matter if you picked the 50% or 50.1% one because that difference is actually negligible.
and if you look at the stats for tf2, 8/9 maps had red winning more. that's 88.9% of them having red winning more. that's pretty good data. add to that, the stuff about the psychological effects of red.

yeah, quit being an ass and saying random shit.

qft because i've noticed this tendency since my days playing 3wave ctf on quake 2.

and if curing aids and cancer and shit was as easy as you make it sound then it'd have been done decades ago so fuck you.

TheBlackOut

TheBlackOut
  • GA Private
  • 4,612 posts
  • xfire:theblackout92
  • Steam ID:highbuzz
  • Gamer Army ID:1316
Fuck science, no one makes fun of my favorite color...

Turkey Llama Confederation (WE MUST FIGHT TO PROTECT IT!)

Dark.Matter

Dark.Matter
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (matchbow @ Jun 14 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you look at the stats for tf2, 8/9 maps had red winning more. that's 88.9% of them having red winning more. that's pretty good data.

That's because RED is always the defending team in TF2.....

Also 5% is easily within the margin of error given the size of the game. If you think about the hundreds of thousands of matches being played every day, taking only 1,300 is not very representative and leaves plenty of room for mis-interpretation of data.

QUOTE (matchbow @ Jun 14 2008, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a 5% difference is not negligible by any means. think about how many hundreds of thousands of games were recorded. the law of large numbers implies that with that many cases, the experimental probability of winning as red should be pretty damn close to its theoretical probability.

Incorrect.

If you read the study you would find they only sampled 1,347 matches. This is just another case of scientists trying to over-simplify everything and looking too much into statistics.
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Apr 23 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread delivers.

Henry_

Henry_
  • Members
  • 1,062 posts
seriously look how unbalanced the gold rush map is icon_biggrin.gif

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
QUOTE (the_wandererererrr @ Jun 14 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
qft because i've noticed this tendency since my days playing 3wave ctf on quake 2.

and if curing aids and cancer and shit was as easy as you make it sound then it'd have been done decades ago so fuck you.

Wow, getting this pissy over some fucking UT statistics? And all I really said was that they should try doing some research that might matter...so stfu; it was a joke anyway. So now you know that the red team wins slightly more than the blue team. So? Are you only going to choose red from now on instead of just joining whichever team has less players, since statistics are apparently so damn important to you?

Now the TF2 stats actually tell you something relatively useful, as it shows that some maps are indeed stacked for one team vs. the other, and it didn't take any scientists to figure it out either.

But when you record the results of just over 1000 matches and say "This just in! The Red team wins 5% more than the blue team!" Is that really going to effect anything? I'm pretty sure everyone would expect that the difference would be around 50%, and 55% isn't that far off at all for just over 1000 matches. A 5% difference is huge in some things, but when it comes to picking the color of the team you are going to be on, it is fucking negligible. Why anyone would care as much as you and matchbow is beyond me.

the_wandererererrr

the_wandererererrr
  • Banned
  • 677 posts
you're asking the wrong questions mr fathead

and god forbid i was responding to more people than you, mr takes-it-personal.

and if red was more popular than blue then red would always be outnumbering blue. that's not true, so yeah you're misinterpreting the results.

and ze maps are not stacked, monsieur. ze players qui play them are nubs! referez-vous au thread of "frustrated@tf2"

Dark.Matter

Dark.Matter
  • Members
  • 1,662 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (the_wandererererrr @ Jun 15 2008, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mr fathead
mr takes-it-personal.

lol

debate skills -20

QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Apr 23 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread delivers.

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
QUOTE (the_wandererererrr @ Jun 14 2008, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and if red was more popular than blue then red would always be outnumbering blue. that's not true, so yeah you're misinterpreting the results.

I think you are the one misinterpreting things. What do you think is the cause of red winning more? Only the good players join red? Come on.

And I loved the line "if red was more popular than blue then red would always be outnumbering blue". Makes perfect sense. FACT: Not all people choose their team based on which color they like more. Even if everyone on the planet loved red and absolutely hated blue, in a 24 person match the rosters would still be 12-12 thanks to auto team balance. And even if that was wrong and red still managed to get a 16-8 margin or something, it would be because the red team was *gasp* more popular!

Verrückter

Verrückter

Satanic Birthday Boy

• Retired Staff
  • 7,606 posts
  • Interests:Games!
A similar case: if in a game I use a gun that has a more powerful sound, I'll be better with it because I will feel that the gun has more power.
"Something tremendously powerful was lost when composers moved away from tonal harmony and regular pulses... Among other things the audience was lost" -John Adams

anatomy187

anatomy187
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,574 posts
QUOTE (Verrückter @ Jun 14 2008, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A similar case: if in a game I use a gun that has a more powerful sound, I'll be better with it because I will feel that the gun has more power.

I'm the opposite...the softer the sound is, the more I can concentrate and aim.

confrico

confrico
  • Members
  • 6,783 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
it barely takes any time and money to take a bunch of statistics and do an article about it

it's not like they had to do an entire experiment in a controled environment

Neuroscientist Mihai Moldovan of the University of Copenhagen in Denmark said the reason was most likely that the color red may act as a psychological distractor for men, possibly because men flush and turn red when they're angry.

"While this is really an interesting analysis, the notion of red team versus blue team has been ingrained in the Unreal Tournament series for years. We don't anticipate any immediate changes to team colors," said Mark Rein, vice president of Epic Games, the Cary, N.C.-based developer of the series.

Another study found in 2005 that wearing red is an advantage in real-life sports. British scientists found that athletes wearing red in one-on-one events like wrestling at the 2004 Olympics were more likely to win.

the main colors of mcdonald's and other fast food restaurants are red for a reason. the color reminds people of food and somehow makes them hungrier because of it.

Mighty_Chives

Mighty_Chives
  • Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • Steam ID:Superstar Chives
QUOTE (Dark.Matter @ Jun 15 2008, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's because RED is always the defending team in TF2.....

Not always defending, they also seem to win the mirror maps slightly more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users