Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DVI - HDMI blurred

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
  • xfire:Emsal
  • Interests:Ownage :D
  • Xbox / GFWL:Emsal
Simple question, why is my screen all that blurry? I mean it is set to 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz on 1080i with a DVI - HDMI cable which is 3 m long. The Screen is a 22" HDTV (NX2240w)

My GFX card is ATi HD 3650 512mb

Any suggestions?
Grrrrrr

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
QUOTE (emsal @ May 21 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean it is set to 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz on 1080i

This icon_razz.gif

Don't run it at 1080i.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

TQD

TQD
  • Members
  • 171 posts
  • xfire:TheQuietDon
  • Xbox / GFWL:TQD
1080i means that the resolution of the picture is 1920 vertical pixels by 1080 horizontal pixels and i stands for interlaced scanning. ...

So even though your PC setting is at 1680, it's sending at 1920.

That's why it's blurred.

If the monitor has a DVI / VGA input you should be using that, HDMI accepts HD resolutions - 720p, 1080i/p etc. not 1680 x 1050.

Asus P5B Deluxe | 2GB DDR2 800Mhz | WD 320GB SATA2 16MB
MX518 Mouse | Hiper 530W Black Type-R Modular PSU | Antec P180
ASUS 8800GTX 768MB PCI-E | Core 2 Duo E6600 4MB @ 3.0Ghz

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
Yes, but the problem is that when I change it to 720p the resolution is too low. It can't go up to 1680x1050 which it could with the VGA.

ok well when I change the resolution to 1920x1080 it's still blurred and not as sharp as with VGA maybe it's because it is running at 30 hz entwined.
Grrrrrr

TQD

TQD
  • Members
  • 171 posts
Then you need to use DVI / VGA or it'll be blurred.

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
QUOTE (emsal @ May 21 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but the problem is that when I change it to 720p the resolution is too low. It can't go up to 1680x1050 which it could with the VGA.

ok well when I change the resolution to 1920x1080 it's still blurred.

Ah, should've known it doesn't run 1680*1050..it's a TV.

I'd opt for VGA then, but I understand it sucks you can't run Audio to your TV except for a seperate cable.

This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

TQD

TQD
  • Members
  • 171 posts
If you set your PC resolution to 1280 x 720 and set the HDMI to 720p and then also try setting your PC resolution to 1920 x 1080 and HDMI to 1080p. Won't be perfect but may be better than the blur you have at the moment. The problem with those resolutions is that it's not your native screen size or ratio. Those HD resolutions at 16:9 and 1680x1050 is 16:10, so it'll be squished or stretched somewhat (cba working out which icon_razz.gif)

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
If you set your PC resolution to 1280 x 720 and set the HDMI to 720p and then also play with the GPU scaling in Catalyst control Centre you'll get a sharp picture..with black bars icon_razz.gif

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
How do I SET the HDMI to anything? It's inpossible as I can't change anything on the TV.
Grrrrrr

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Sorry, I copy pasted the first of my post icon_biggrin.gif Basically, you can set your TV to either 720p or 1080i mode right? Set it to the first is what I mean icon_razz.gif

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ May 21 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, I copy pasted the first of my post icon_biggrin.gif Basically, you can set your TV to either 720p or 1080i mode right? Set it to the first is what I mean icon_razz.gif

That's the problem icon_biggrin.gif I can't SET the TV to anything as I don't have any options for that. I can't even use Auto Adjust.
Grrrrrr

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
Then what did you mean by 1080i mod ein your first post?

Corey

Corey
  • Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Interests:Music, owning, women
I have a sort of related question, I bought a new monitor, and it just so happens that the monitor has an HDMI port and a 1:1 aspect ratio. I know I'll obviously be able to watch things in full 1080p HD, but if I wanted to play a ps3 on the monitor (most games are 720p), could I get the 720p with no stretching or distortion? Like could I just change the resolution the match with 720p, and because of the 1:1 pixel mapping, will I be ok? If not, how bad do you imagine the stretching will be?

Thanks
user posted image

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
QUOTE (Corey @ May 21 2008, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a sort of related question, I bought a new monitor, and it just so happens that the monitor has an HDMI port and a 1:1 aspect ratio. I know I'll obviously be able to watch things in full 1080p HD, but if I wanted to play a ps3 on the monitor (most games are 720p), could I get the 720p with no stretching or distortion? Like could I just change the resolution the match with 720p, and because of the 1:1 pixel mapping, will I be ok? If not, how bad do you imagine the stretching will be?

Thanks

i HIGHLY doubt your monitor has a 1:1 aspect ratio - if it does, please link! id love to see it

if you will be able to watch 1080p HD, ill assume this is a 1920x1200 widescreen monitor (in which case, the aspect ratio is 16:10, not 1:1) - unless, of course, you got a 2560x1600 30'', which is the only other possibility

in any case, 1280x720p (which is 16:9) would most likely not stretch, but instead letterbox the top and bottom slightly. if it did stretch, it would only be 11% vertical stretch, which wouldnt be too bad

Corey

Corey
  • Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • Interests:Music, owning, women
QUOTE (DougHChrist @ May 21 2008, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i HIGHLY doubt your monitor has a 1:1 aspect ratio - if it does, please link! id love to see it

if you will be able to watch 1080p HD, ill assume this is a 1920x1200 widescreen monitor (in which case, the aspect ratio is 16:10, not 1:1) - unless, of course, you got a 2560x1600 30'', which is the only other possibility

in any case, 1280x720p (which is 16:9) would most likely not stretch, but instead letterbox the top and bottom slightly. if it did stretch, it would only be 11% vertical stretch, which wouldnt be too bad

Hmm, well I'm not really concerned about the aspect ratio anyhow, but this is my monitor:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=BENQ

I didn't see 1:1 mapping anywhere in the specs, but a bunch of the commenters said that it infact had 1:1 pixel mapping, and I saw information supporting this on a quick google search.
user posted image

Weiman

Weiman

• Global Moderators
  • 33,900 posts
pixel mapping != aspect ratio

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
QUOTE (Weiman @ May 21 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then what did you mean by 1080i mod ein your first post?

Because the monitor says it is 1080i, but I can't change it.
Grrrrrr

Sandman331

Sandman331
  • GA Private
  • 158 posts
  • xfire:Sandman331
  • Interests:Gaming (nah rly?), PC Construction and Modification, Australian Military, Sport, Music (Heavy Metal)
  • Xbox / GFWL:sandjager
  • Gamer Army ID:3026
I have the same monitor and I had the same problem. Just gotta use VGA dude.

-Sandman

P.S. if you find a way I'll be impressed and tell me how icon_smile.gif
"Everything turns out alright in the end. If it's not alright... it's not the end."

emsal

emsal
  • Members
  • 726 posts
QUOTE (Sandman331 @ May 22 2008, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the same monitor and I had the same problem. Just gotta use VGA dude.

-Sandman

P.S. if you find a way I'll be impressed and tell me how icon_smile.gif

Have you tried to install the monitor drivers?

I have contacted them and hope they know if there is something I could do.
Grrrrrr

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
the TV's firmware (yes, it is a TV) most likely assumes the vga is the "PC" connection, and thus maps directly for that resolution, up to 1680x1050. the HDMI inputs, id wager, are directly routed through a conversion chip - and a cheap one at that

converting, unless the pixel ratio is an integer value, always forces the calculation to use averages between the chroma and luma of adjacent pixels, which (unless your TV has a very expensive set of chips, or you use a dedicated video processor to convert) always causes blurring and loss of quality

keeping all of this in mind, especially the fact that it is a TV, id suggest using your graphics driver's TV-out setting (as opposed to monitor) when using HDMI, letting the video card scale the image instead of the screen. its worth a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users