Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Problem building PC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

deathreign209

deathreign209
  • Members
  • 12 posts
I built a new computer ground up, but of course I made the HORRIBLE mistake of using vista instead of XP. And of course, my monitor doesn't support Vista. So now I'm stuck with a computer that functions perfectly, but my monitor doesn't support it and i don't wanna spend like 89 bucks when I can somehow get some other form of OS.

Anyone know a way I can? Get xp for free I mean.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
How is it even possible that a monitor wouldnt support vista? Ive never heard of that.

deathreign209

deathreign209
  • Members
  • 12 posts
I got the monitor before vista was even invented, it's like a 2002 monitor. So when I turn on my computer after vista is installed my computer goes idle and displays nothing.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
My old 2003 ViewSonic works fine with Vista...
And like that, he was gone.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
QUOTE (deathreign209 @ May 16 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got the monitor before vista was even invented, it's like a 2002 monitor. So when I turn on my computer after vista is installed my computer goes idle and displays nothing.

Whats your mointer brand ? Also the name of the moniter plz.

deathreign209

deathreign209
  • Members
  • 12 posts
It's just a monitor that came free with my dell dimension 3000. Can't really explain anymore.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
1- all (modern) monitors work on one of two types of cables: VGA (also known as d-sub) and DVI....(modern = last 30 years or so)

2- how the OS works with them is the same no matter what kind of monitor it is. it sends the exact same type of signal to one vga box that it does to every vga box.

3- that said, it isnt even possible that it is vista's fault. you probably didnt hook something up right when you built your pc.

deathreign209

deathreign209
  • Members
  • 12 posts
No see that's what you don't understand, everything's hooked up, how could I have done something wrong if I installed vista in the first place? My point being, the screen would go idle AFTER installation. Meaning the OS had SOMETHING to do with it.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
and its possible something came unplugged.

i dont think you are getting my point...it sends the same kind of signal to EVERY monitor. every copy of vista runs the same message to the video...hell, even the loading of vista ran on those same "messages." if it worked when you put the CD in, it is using those same exact drivers to run it now.

juX

juX
  • GA Private
  • 703 posts
  • xfire:joom8
  • Gamer Army ID:4716
  • Company:Hotel
Try to boot into safe mode, or vga mode, hit f8 while the computer is booting and see if you get anything if you don't then yeah something is totally fucked but if you do then you need to try and update the graphics card or see if maybe you have some settings that you can mess with.

FrozenInferno

FrozenInferno
  • GA Private
  • 996 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:238
QUOTE (Rakielis @ May 16 2008, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and its possible something came unplugged.

i dont think you are getting my point...it sends the same kind of signal to EVERY monitor. every copy of vista runs the same message to the video...hell, even the loading of vista ran on those same "messages." if it worked when you put the CD in, it is using those same exact drivers to run it now.

I wish I could say you were right, but that doesn't explain why my Acer AL1912 works with Vista/XP/2003 and not Ubuntu Linux. Input type not supported FTL.

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
You could use some kind of linux OS for free
fedora, ubuntu etc..

But as for xp for free? I dont think u can discuss such things on these forums..

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
This is really weird, a monitor and OS support make no sense whatsoever..

Try booting in safe mode, and while you;'re at it go get a liveCD and boot from that to see what happens. It seems more likely Vista is trying to run at a resolution your monitor doesn't support.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

Da_maniaC

Da_maniaC
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Are you sure you are not fooled by Vista's PnP detection?
Some new drivers will activate PnP detection which cause the screen to go blank when Vista is booting up.
This can sometimes be a 5 minute wait or so before the new hardware is correctly installed.
Have you tried wiating for it?

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (FrozenInferno @ May 17 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish I could say you were right, but that doesn't explain why my Acer AL1912 works with Vista/XP/2003 and not Ubuntu Linux. Input type not supported FTL.

linux =\= windows

linux doesnt support a lot of things. id bet it is having trouble with your graphics card which tends to be a common problem with linux. granted, its getting better.

QUOTE (Weiman @ May 17 2008, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is really weird, a monitor and OS support make no sense whatsoever..

Try booting in safe mode, and while you;'re at it go get a liveCD and boot from that to see what happens. It seems more likely Vista is trying to run at a resolution your monitor doesn't support.

there is a setting lower than 640x480?

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
Hey, my 17" Acer is recognised by ATI control panel as being able to run 1440*900, while it certainly doesnt. It may be a long shot but it's worth it.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

RaiDer

RaiDer
  • Members
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Probably something to do with W33d.
omflawl.

OP, what happens what you boot the PC? Nothing on the monitor? Do you get a "No Signal" message on the monitor or absolutely nothing?

System specs?

deathreign209

deathreign209
  • Members
  • 12 posts
Sorry for the lack of replies, yes I've tried waiting, and no I've never installed a graphics card, it's just a straight up motherboard. My specs are....

AMD Athlon 64 bit 4000+ processor
Excelstor 150 gb hard drive 7200rpm
Biostar (something or other) Motherboard (socket am2)
Geforce 8400 gs gfx card (not installed)
ASUS- dvd rom
500w power supply

All I can think of that can pertain to the problem.

Guest_Rakielis_*

Guest_Rakielis_*
  • Guests
A- we need to know the exact motherboard. its highly possible that the graphics engine on it just sucks so much ass that it cant put out a decent signal.

B- try installing the graphics card, making sure its connected to the net, and turning it back on. give it a little bit of time. remember to make sure the monitor is then connected to the gfx card instead of the integrated gfx.

ChaosJester

ChaosJester
  • GA Colonel
  • 2,269 posts
  • xfire:theavatar2005
  • Steam ID:theavatar2006
  • Xbox / GFWL:PPGAChaosJester
  • Gamer Army ID:583
  • Company:Pi
$20 says that its just that vista is trying to display a res or refresh rate that the monitor does not support.

As everyone has said, try safe mode. Change the res to the lowers it will let you and use like 60hz for the refresh rate. That will prolly help. Then if that works boot up vista and increase it bit by bit till you find the limit. If its from 2002 there is a pretty damn good chance it should let you do 1024x68@60hz. Give that a shot.

fs_pc.png
019epg-4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users