Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[n64] Banjo-kazooie

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485

Banjo-Kazooie
Developed by Rareware
Released in 1998

INTRODUCTION
There are many ways to describe the awe-inspiring piece of artwork that is Banjo-Kazooie. Among many, my favourite would probably
be, "the sum of my childhood." If you had a Nintendo 64, and you didnít play this game, you weren't just missing out anymore -- you
had a void inside of you that could never be satiated by anything other than this masterpiece of a game. Among the many three-dimensional
platformer games for the Nintendo 64, Banjo-Kazooie was great and unique in its own way. With some of the best graphics, funny dialogue,
and even some questionably risquť content, what more could you ask for?

GRAPHICS
Banjo-Kazooie bore some of the best graphics on the Nintendo 64, and although by today's standards, they weigh somewhere around
pretty okay and suck at the same time, they were a marvel to the human eye back then. Unfortunately for the Nintendo 64, they
were hard to render at times, and suffered some frame-rate issues when you looked into a vast expanse of land. If you enjoyed the game,
however, it was easy to look past the simple hardware issue and see the true beauty of the game. The user interface was very simple,
and very effective -- looking at the duo next to the health gauge, and seeing a glum facial expression, made it clear that your health was
nowhere near full.

Each level was unique and interesting in its own way, and like many other platformers that were licensed or developed by Nintendo, there
was a level for every possible climate and location (deserts, snow level, swamp). The levels were designed in a very linear, but obstructed
fashion, so that you knew where to go, but you needed to visit other areas to get there. The levels were very easy to be familiarized with,
which made the game's difficulty level enjoyable while still enough of a challenge to prevent it from being a total cakewalk.

CHARACTERS AND STORY
The story was simple, and fairy-tale like: a witch wants to be beautiful, and needs to "steal" the beauty out of the most beautiful girl of the
land. That girl happened to be your sister, and when you learn that she has been kidnapped, you have to go save her! Clearly not the deep
kind of story you'd see in many modern games, but that's what kids wanted -- we weren't mature enough to appreciate and dissect the stories
that games had to offer -- we wanted a simple reason as to why we were doing what we were, and that was that.

The characters and their personalities are hilariously well-written. Grunty's compulsive rhyming speech, Kazooie's loud-mouth personality,
and Mumbo's over-confidence make the Banjo-Kazooie world a very entertaining place to be. It was a very unique environment from other games,
because although the story hit more of a serious note, it always managed to be charming in any way possible. Usually with video games, I
tend to listen to the story and dialogue just so that I can learn more about the story, but Banjo-Kazooie made me want to see what jokes
Kazooie's going to crack at Bottles the Mole.

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay is like most platformers -- to get from one place to another, you need to collect a certain object, and a certain amount of said
object allows you to pass further into the game. The game difficulty varied depending on whether you were going for a simple victory, or the
full blast 100%. The different moves you learn in the game are not only very easy to pick up, but flow very nicely into the game, so that you
don't feel overloaded with moves you're never going to use. Using the new skills you learn and the transformations that Mumbo Jumbo puts on
you all help you get to the end of the game.

The controls work really well with the game, and the engine runs flawlessly except for the sporadic frame-rate. One thing I especially love
about this game, and many others by Rare is that there are parts when you're urged to get past the level as fast as possible, and others
where you have to be especially careful not to fall off into oblivion. The game isn't very long, as most Nintendo 64 games were, but
the 20 or so hours you spend beating it (again, varied by how far you're going to go to beat it), are very fun, and almost never feel tedious or
repetitive.

MUSIC AND SOUND
Absolute win right off the bat. The music in this game is probably on the top of my favourite video game soundtracks of all time -- they're just so
memorable, and after beating the game, I couldn't get them out of my head for another month. They all match the environment of each level
so flawlessly and with such accuracy, I even downloaded bought the soundtrack and listened to it over and over again. Each level has
its own musical style, and soundscape, which is one of the things I really look forward to not sucking in the upcoming Banjo Kazooie 3.

One thing that really impressed me about the music (and mind you, this was a "new" thing back then), was that when you entered the water
you had a more "aqua" version of the song that was currently playing, which really gave you that feeling that you were underwater. The sound
in the game is just as amazing as every other aspect of the game. When the characters talk, there isn't a complete voice-over re-enactment,
but instead a loop of noises that match their voice -- annoying to some, ridiculously hilarious to others.

OVERALL
I force you to buy recommend Banjo-Kazooie to gamers that enjoy platformers, Nintendo games, platformer Nintendo games, games by
Rareware, Nintendo licensed games by Rareware, Nintendo licensed platformer games by Rareware... and I've gone too far. If you're a fan of
most of the older titles for the Nintendo 64, you absolutely have to play this game. It's extremely nostalgic, and generally a really fun game to
go through. If getting an emulator is what you have to do to play this game, let it be so -- otherwise, buy it off of eBay, rent it from a friend as
most stores don't have it anymore, or steal it from a lucky son of a bitch who has it (but not me, 'cause I want to keep mine.)

Jengerer's Score: 9.25/10
Why: It's a great game with every aspect taken into equal consideration and effort. Framerate issues decrease the pace of the game in
some areas, so that's where 0.5 off comes from. Another 0.25 taken off for some repetitive areas, or slight uncooperative level aspects (a spinning
platform that you have to be on when it's completely still, otherwise you fall off and die -- no exceptions.)

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 09:43 PM.

KronicDown

KronicDown
  • Members
  • 381 posts
  • xfire:masterkron
Great 3D platformer? Or GREATEST 3D platformer?

Seriously, thinking about this game makes me feel so nostalgic. Rare were the best console developers during their peak in the N64 era, this game, Goldeneye and heaps of others prove it. I'm almost horrified to think what Microsoft-owned Rare will do to the new Banjo game.

d4rbzz

d4rbzz
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • xfire:poppind
I hate you Clanker's Cavern ):

Yeah, amazing game. Not much else to say really. It's just fantasmical.

Click clock woods was my favorite level. 4 different stage songs? Fuck yeah. And they all rocked. Like you said, the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. Going through different tunes in my head and I just might have to dig the game out and have a go.

Also, I'd like to comment on how I didn't like the sequel nearly as much. I felt it started a little too advanced and got too deep.. lots of random things in the second one. It stayed true to Banjo Kazooie through most of it, so I still liked it, but it just wasn't as good as the first IMO.

dubbs

dubbs
  • GA Corporal
  • 1,346 posts
  • Steam ID:dubbs332
  • PSN:JJAMUS
  • Gamer Army ID:621
Great review, it made me want to dig it out of whatever shitpile it's in and play it again. I sometimes listen to the music from the game purely for nostalgia's sake, it brings back good memories of just sitting around for hours playing it.

My favorite level was Gobi's Valley (the Egyptian place), the music was kickass. ( http://www.youtube.c...feature=related , lol )

Hades.

Hades.
  • GA Private
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Holy fuck Ive been on these forums for a long time. They pretty much raised me tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Undisclosed
  • Wii:Don't want.
  • Gamer Army ID:4225
  • Company:Alpha
Holy Memories..

StarFox 64 and GoldenEye were my favorites along with Banjo-Kazooie

79577008.png

Briton

Briton
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Gaming Legends
Yeah this game was brilliant. I personally think the sequel should match up to the previous experience, although many people are not pleased with Rare's track record on the Xbox I think they could have a chance here.

talok iv

talok iv
  • GA Private
  • 1,173 posts
  • xfire:talokiv
  • Interests:The 3 G's: Gaming, Guitar, Girls.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Talok IV
  • Wii:1167180059041566
  • Gamer Army ID:3486
Loved this game as a kid, was one of the first games I actually finished (which was rare when I was younger) and I really enjoyed this game.

Can't wait for the next one on a next-gen console. icon_razz.gif

3xp0sed

3xp0sed
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:ur mum
Yup loved this game

Tooie was also cool ... lol

maybe a Banjo Th(wii)e *hint* *hint*

"Boomshakalakalaka"

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
I never played through the first one completely, never touched the 2nd one. I should really play them through.
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

Zanzibar

Zanzibar

Also, banned. | Best Ice Cream my pants Shacker 08 & 09

• GA Corporal
  • 5,720 posts
  • Interests:Nothing much anymore.
  • Gamer Army ID:334
Nice review!

I definately need to get this again. I just hope Rare don't Puppy up 3 too much.

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
Fucking loved this game, Freezeezy Peak was fucking amazing. Tooie was damn good too, hope the next one follows suit

We3Tard

We3Tard
  • Banned
  • 739 posts
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
<3. This and Tooie are without a doubt my favourite games on the N64 and at least one is on my top 10 list of games. Love this god damn series. Part of it was probably the level design. The amusement park level from Tooie (can't remember what it's called, haven't played Tooie in over a year) is possibly my favourite level ever in a game.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny
  • GA Corporal
  • 2,617 posts
  • xfire:Too lazy to open X-fire every time...
  • Interests:Wii!
  • Xbox / GFWL:fps anth
  • PSN:finally got a 360!
  • Wii:8250730335940364
  • Gamer Army ID:1158
There are many ways to describe the awe-inspiring piece of artwork that is Banjo-Kazooie. Among many, my favourite would probably
be, "the sum of my childhood."

This.

B-K was my favourite game of all time for a good while, now it's somwhere in the top 5. The scary thing is that I still frequent Rare Witch Project every day hoping that some new B-K3 information will be released.

I believe that a ton of shit is going to be released on Tuesday. Can't wait!

I beat Jarett in Tetris. Once. Then he beat me four times straight. But still, I beat him once!

Slinky

Slinky
  • Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • Steam ID:frosticle
  • PSN:slinkytoyou
I still play it tbh lol.

QUOTE (BearHugger @ Jan 10 2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont respondd cause i have a life my girlfriend came over and she sucked me off

Corpus

Corpus
  • GA Private
  • 797 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:CorpuS11
  • Gamer Army ID:2298
  • Company:Bravo
Thnx for the warm nolstalgia Jengerer. Man, this was one of my top 5 N64 games. I'm waiting on #3 it's in dev, I'm positive. Man...now I have stuck
http://www.rare-extr...ntildasLair.mp3
in my head now. But that's ok icon_smile.gif

Coconut

Coconut
  • GA Private
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:Role playing, music (alternative, oldies, cheesy 80s, 90s), video games, anime, Disney, street hockey, exercising, webcomics, reading, creative writing, knowing useless facts, corny jokes, school (Yes, I'm a nerd).
  • Rofl-Rupees:3
  • Gamer Army ID:2388
  • Company:Bravo
Oh wow, listening to those songs brings back a lot of great memories. Is it me, or does "Grunty's Lair" kinda sound like that "If you go out to the woods today" song at certain parts?

I absolutely loved the gameshow/boardgame thing you do at the end! I looked forward to that the most. I wish that they'd let you replay it over and over again. Great levels, great characters, great environments. It was overall an incredibly enjoyable game and I adored Kazooie. Click Clock Wood ftw.
"Yeah, I gotta go, too... I gotta get ice cream..."
- Dawei

Blackened

Blackened
  • GA Private
  • 2,262 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1658
The theme of Click Clock wood was probably my favorite music. Because each season had it's own variation of the music.. And it was catchy as hell..

Your review was excellent, you are a great writer, Jengerer.

QUOTE (We3Tard @ May 9 2008, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The amusement park level from Tooie (can't remember what it's called, haven't played Tooie in over a year) is possibly my favourite level ever in a game.

Witchyworld, good sir. My favorite level had to be Grunty Industries.. There was just so much to be found and it was the hardest level imo, which as a kid, I'd find really challenging sometimes.

Andrack

Andrack
  • GA Private
  • 2,037 posts
  • PSN:Andrack64
  • Gamer Army ID:1202
  • Company:Kilo
Haha, I got that game the first day it came out and it came with the soundtrack. I still listen to it every now and then. Man that game was the shit. A very unsung the shit too.

Lt ledhead

Lt ledhead
  • Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • xfire:ledhead93
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lt ledhead
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
I would always cross the street to play my friends n64. When he got banjo-kazooie, I never left his house. That game brings back so many good memories its driving crazy not having a n64. Im trying to find one but so far no luck. Anyway great review, glad you shared the great times in your childhood.
Cheers!

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
QUOTE (Blackened @ Jun 24 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your review was excellent, you are a great writer, Jengerer.

Thanks, that means a lot! Sorry I haven't reviewed many games, lately. I'm currently doing a lot of that which urged me to write this review (playing games). I'll have a review up once I have the inspiration!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)