Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Makes a good song?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
  • xfire:dohreguard
  • Steam ID:dohreguard
  • Xbox / GFWL:Dohregard
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:209737188728753
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
  • Gamer Army ID:3070
  • Company:Foxtrot
what, in your opinion, makes a good song?

post, topic, and thread pruned and edited -Doug

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

Bryter

Bryter
  • Banned
  • 69 posts
Purely subjective, but introspection and some cluster chords are a good start for me.

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
I'm by no means a musical genius/connoisseur, but I'll give it a go.

Hmm, what makes a good song for me? Good solid rhythm. Take trance (my fave genre) for example. It starts off nice and smooth, and slowly builds up. You can just hear it all come together, and try to pick out each little bit or just take it all in. And when you get good mixes going, it's pretty wonderful to hear. Multiple songs with multiple chords/basslines running step for step in perfect harmony and synch.

Yep, I love that in a song; which is why I tend to listen to instrumental music more. However I do love a solid beat as well, some pop artists withstanding (Suemitsu - The man plays a mean piano icon_razz.gif)

I also enjoy songs that have some form of sentimental value; this is probably the most bogus reason out of them all that I have. Why do I love the Street Fighter II Turbo Remix Project? Because I love super street fighter II turbo. Even if the music is good on its own, it's the experiences I remember that give it the extra meaning. This is the reason I have so many video game OSTs on my hard drive.

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (SN3S @ May 1 2008, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, what makes a good song for me? Good solid rhythm. Take trance (my fave genre) for example. It starts off nice and smooth, and slowly builds up. You can just hear it all come together, and try to pick out each little bit or just take it all in. And when you get good mixes going, it's pretty wonderful to hear. Multiple songs with multiple chords/basslines running step for step in perfect harmony and synch.

Yep, I love that in a song; which is why I tend to listen to instrumental music more. However I do love a solid beat as well, some pop artists withstanding (Suemitsu - The man plays a mean piano icon_razz.gif)

I also enjoy songs that have some form of sentimental value; this is probably the most bogus reason out of them all that I have. Why do I love the Street Fighter II Turbo Remix Project? Because I love super street fighter II turbo. Even if the music is good on its own, it's the experiences I remember that give it the extra meaning. This is the reason I have so many video game OSTs on my hard drive.

you should listen to Dieselboy. He is fucking awesome! its really intense Tancy DnB music. He (i believe) did the Power Puff Girls theme song, prolly his most notable claim to fame (if its true... i heard it from a friend)

I like songs/music that takes you places, but I also like raw energy and funny / crazy antics. If I like people live I'll usually listen to their music.

That's how I got into MSI before I heard them, and GWAR..... but I can't really listen to GWAR other than at their shows. MSI is just amazing 24/7.

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

embroisured

embroisured
  • GA Private
  • 1,723 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Drunkard Zero
  • Gamer Army ID:3725
Anything that isn't boring. I love prog, metal, jazz, jazz fusion, and classic rock, and classical music. Music does not have to be in 4/4 every time icon_smile.gif

DHC

DHC

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0

• Retired Staff
  • 12,731 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:31
  • Company:Kilo
now THIS is a proper thread icon_smile.gif (its nice to have global mod powers icon_razz.gif)

what makes a good song? it has to be fun to listen to! thats pretty much my only requirement. in classical, i enjoy a solid melody, with fun harmony that is not necessarily elaborate, yet with an orchestration and dynamics that really get me thinking, and even feeling; both beethoven's simplicity and brahms' intensity turn me on the most. in country and pop, a solid tune - shouldnt be a simple power chord progression, but doesnt need to demonstrate virtuosity - with lyrics that can make me weep, laugh, or scream, are just really great to listen to. electronica turns me on when the artist dares to experiment with effects (i also especially love vocal integration), tells a story, and the orchestration fits together (too much pop electronica goes nowhere as the songs progress - but even worse, they always stick in a moog just for kicks, overuse world percussion, randomly stick in useless effects that dont add to the song, and overall dont have any soul to them). i love good hiphop when the beat is original (thankfully, the MPC is very versatile), and the words dont infuriate me - theres nothing worse than ruining a fun, catchy rap song, by advertising forced prostitution or worse, killing people; funk almost always pwnz, when its not a series repetitive copies of previous hits - same goes for R&B. i love just about all rock: rock and roll from elvis to ac/dc, pop rock from billy joel to no doubt, metal from sabbath to megadeath, and everything in between - i just love unique voices like ozzy and axl rose, metallica - shunned by many probably because its the cool thing to do - really know how to get each instrument in such a small band to really shine, and their leads, though simple, are always effective.

my favorite to listen to? Zappa when I want something unique and refreshing, Floyd when I want a group that truly understand the effects of music on our minds, and are able to utilize a whole spectrum of composition techniques to create absolutely amazing songs.

because really, it's all about listening to the music. once you start analyzing, music is no longer a hobby or entertainment, it's work.

Zanzibar

Zanzibar

Also, banned. | Best Ice Cream my pants Shacker 08 & 09

• GA Corporal
  • 5,719 posts
  • Interests:Nothing much anymore.
  • Gamer Army ID:334
I have absolutely no idea. I don't know about rhythms, lyrics or whatever else musical mumbo jumbo you lot blather on about. All I know is that I likes what I likes. icon_biggrin.gif

My favourite method or whatever of music is just sheer epic songs. The kinda stuff I can put on and just stare up into the stars and lose myself for hours. Stuff like the LOTR, Halo soundtracks, Parabol , Jambi, Lateralus by Tool. I love the planets soundtrack as well. Ya know, Mars Bringer of War and all that.

icon_wink.gif

MCClammer

MCClammer
  • GA Private
  • 3,346 posts
  • xfire:mcclammer
  • Gamer Army ID:1114
I don't really think about it. I just let it strike me.. I don't think I would want to know what makes a good song for me.. just the way I see it.
Part of the unlock the motherfucking weed thread crew. Join us.
www.techbums.net <--the secks
I have no attention span, beware, I will forget the debate threads I have posted in.
I cannot spell or conjugate verbs on the internet for some reason. Fight through it.

Bryter

Bryter
  • Banned
  • 69 posts
Raw, organic energy, in whatever form it takes. Something which bypasses the intellect.

(Axion)

(Axion)
  • Members
  • 131 posts
  • xfire:axionrising
In order of importance:

1) A good hook.
2) A moderate amount of talent on the part of the musicians.
3) Decent production values.

Note: if electronic music or hip-hop, reverse order of #2 & 3, or forget about #2 entirely.

Jimmy Rabbitte

Jimmy Rabbitte
  • GA Private
  • 1,639 posts
  • Steam ID:100sph
  • Gamer Army ID:3335
  • Company:Delta
Something I can listen to all the way through. I hear and see too many people who listen to pop and mainstream rap and they won't even listen to a whole song.

Other than that I have no particular preference as far as sound goes. If it's good, I'll listen to it.
The Blackman is God

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Nothing really. Simply put, if a song sounds good thats all there is to it. Diffrent things can make a song sound good for every genre, it's never limited to one set thing because every genre is diffrent.

Dohregard

Dohregard

Master Dohbator

• GA Private
  • -32,944 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ May 2 2008, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing really. Simply put, if a song sounds good thats all there is to it. Diffrent things can make a song sound good for every genre, it's never limited to one set thing because every genre is diffrent.

QFT

that question is almost a trick question, if it wasn't for that whole free will thing icon_wink.gif

Dohregard
Crap IT Manager
Flickr
cdyw1.gif

ReclusEndangerment

ReclusEndangerment
  • Members
  • 88 posts
  • xfire:DO NOT HAS
  • Steam ID:teh_1337_n00b
  • Xbox / GFWL:DO NOT HAS
  • Wii:DO NOT WANT
A good song will have a melody that can play on the whole range of emotions, and strike you in many forms when you're in any given mood...Sad, angry, euphoric, nostalgic, hopeful, etc...If one song can play on such a range, then awesome.

Blackened

Blackened
  • GA Private
  • 2,262 posts
  • Gamer Army ID:1658
For me it's about lyrics. A great song should have emotional lyrics that you can connect to. It should make the listener feel emotions.

The music is also really important, it has to go along with the lyrics, if it's a sad or happy song.

w4r10r

w4r10r
  • Members
  • 1,806 posts
  • xfire:d4rkply4
  • Interests:Gaming, obviously, but i also play a lot of guitar.
  • Steam ID:w4r10r
  • Xbox / GFWL:w4r10r
  • Wii:5863278811979727
Most of it's already been covered, but originality, and something that you can hum. A catchy tone that stays in your head that you keep singing and is something you enjoy. I listen to classic rock/metal, and the best songs/solos to me are not the ones that shread the most, but the ones that stay in your head and something you catch yourself humming.
QUOTE (Christron @ Mar 7 2008, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
are you fucking kidding me? i would totally use that as my comedy act at school, bitches love feces, ever seen 2girls1cup?

QUOTE (Verrückter @ May 29 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bad genre is still a genre.

talok iv

talok iv
  • GA Private
  • 1,173 posts
  • xfire:talokiv
  • Interests:The 3 G's: Gaming, Guitar, Girls.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Talok IV
  • Wii:1167180059041566
  • Gamer Army ID:3486
Originality
Meaningful lyrics
Good enough melody/tone that I want to stomp my foot icon_razz.gif
Timing of the band (in sync)
Awesome guitar solo (For Rock)

moor w rot

moor w rot
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:reading, philosophy, funny t-shirts,rebelling against the normal, pool. physic ,biology. maths,making vidoes.
  • Xbox / GFWL:
  • Wii:
the musician understanding of music theory.

VulgaritySocks

VulgaritySocks

Second only to DougHChrist! | Wisest Poster 08

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • xfire:h00nestr00b
  • Interests:Defenestration, interpretive dance...<br />Dreadlocks?<br /><br />This is stupid.
QUOTE (DougHChrist @ May 1 2008, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because really, it's all about listening to the music. once you start analyzing, music is no longer a hobby or entertainment, it's work.

Word. Wise words from a very wise man.
And... if I may be hubristic enough to add onto this, through analyzing music you don't only force it to become something understandable, you take away from it everything that makes it such a special art form. I think Kurt Vonnegut said that the next great answer to all of our questions in life would come, not from science, but from music. I like that idea. I think anyone who has been coaxed into a certain blissful mental state through music knows that there are answers somewhere in there. You start studying music too deeply it all becomes black dots on a page. And black dots, no matter how beautifully positioned, have no real magic. Quantifying and knowing everything inherent within music is like turning a poem into a mathematical equation. Taking a love poem and writing "you+me=love." That's bullshit. You can't do that and retain any of the purpose behind creating the art-work in the first place. Case in point: if you have the right kind of mind, listen to Explosions in the Sky. They're a band out of Texas. I used to be guilty of over-analyzing the music I listened to. Tried to contain it all within comfortable frame-works. Worked on developing a perfect pitch so I could hear a song and say "oh that's in D minor." I went on for a while like this, then I heard this band. And I didn't even think about analyzing it. I realized that if I knew everything musically about this band I would be denying them as musicians. Because the goal of a musician, when it comes down to it, is to make pleasing sounds. And sometimes, giving the sounds created a letter or a number is taking music down to a human level from whatever higher plateau it was at before. Some people see music as an ends. I suppose I optimistically see it as a means.
So I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. HChrist, and believe we all owe him a sponge bath.

Also, what makes a good song? I would say that it has to be pleasant. Or that it has to have some depth. Of any kind.
I sometimes think that the high mind has a far better grasp on music than the sober. I wish I was high right now - I probably would have discussed this in a more coherent manner. Ah well. Siphon whatever golden thoughts you can from this dirt-filled stream.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users