Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[n64] The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

Best Game Reviewer 08 & 09 | Best Console Contributor '0

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
  • xfire:Plasmic Fury
  • Xbox / GFWL:Plasmic Fury
  • PSN:Too much $$$
  • Wii:Piece of Shit
  • Rofl-Rupees:3

Published by: Nintendo
Developed by: Nintendo EAD
Genre: Action Adventure
Number of Players: 1
Release Date:
US: November 23, 1998
Console: N64

For players who enjoyed previous Zelda’s this game will not disappoint. It’s almost been 10 years since the games release and it's still a game everyone can look up to. It has shown game developers what a truly great game really is. From the outstanding art, to fun and intense game play, followed by an excellent storyline. Let’s take a look at the fundamentals of this game and what makes it so great.

Gameplay
The game begins in Kokari Forest where Link was raised. Born as a hylian but raised as a kokari. This area is where you will learn the basics of combat and conquer your first endeavors. This game which follows similar storylines to previous Zelda’s turns out to be the rescue princess Zelda esce storyline we’ve always loved. Except this game goes past that. It really delivers when it comes to storyline. The emotion you will feel for many of the characters is truly amazing.

This game is literally huge, from temples on top of mountains to the bottom of the sea. The puzzles are always challenging but usually never too frustrating to make you lose interest in the game or get too frustrated to play it. I would say to get the full enjoyment out of this game refrain from using a guide as it is much more rewarding to solve the puzzles yourself than to read about how to do them.

The combat of the game is done in an excellent way. This game features the first sighting of "Z" targeting. When Link approaches an enemy you can Lock onto it with Z and begin your furious slash attacks against it, while still being able to shield yourself from damage or dodge out of the way. A Simple but well done system like this makes the game that much more enjoyable. The Boss battles are more intense than ever now delivering new 3D approaches to battle. It takes wit and skill in order to truly defeat the toughest foes.

Link use's Z-targeting to take down his foes!

The Camera angles in this game are very well done. The camera follows you much like it does in Super Mario 64, and with the addition of Z targeting it allows for a truly captivating experience. There is abosoulty no question that Ocarina of time is one of the most well designed games on the Nintendo 64. It is really hard to think of something wrong with the game play because it is all so well done.

10/10
Sound
This game does not disappoint when it comes to sound. From all the orchestrated tracks while walking around hyrule field to Link's ocarina melodies, its great! Its music you can really get into and doesn’t annoy (well except Navi, but you can look past that). It’s pleasant, but intense when it wants to be. It really is very well done.

captivating environments

Many games today don’t have a soundtrack to match one of this magnitude. Even battle sound effects are well done, from link screaming while his slashes his sword, to him falling to the ground dead. Even when you talk to people many of them will give out a special shout which can be sometimes funny.

10/10

Graphics
The graphics in Ocarina of time are truly remarkable for their time. The game is in Full 3D and the colors and environments are all very well planned out. Each place you go to will feel different and beautiful. The Character models are exceptionally well done from the evil ganondorf to the sexy princess Zelda.

I wonder if there pie up there?

What is really amazing is that they actually capture the emotion of each character so well in the cutsences. For a game of this time that is a feat. The only thing that I found to be unfitting was the paste over maps of the Hyrule Market and some houses. This can take away from the overall experience somewhat because it doesn’t really blend in truly with the environment, but that is a small problem that really won’t bother you. Overall for the games time I think it is the best looking game on N64.

9.5/10

Closing Comments
This game is truly amazing. It is well designed and really shows off what the N64 can do. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the best game ever conceived even today. Since 98 I’ve probably played this game over 15 times. Theres something about this game that will always make you come back. It will get in your head in a good way and you probably won’t forget the experience that you've had. It is beautiful and the story is gripping, followed with great music to back it up. I love this game and I fully recommend any Nintendo 64 owners to go out and purchase it if you haven’t played it yet.

Overall: 9.9/10

Plasmic Fury's Rating Scale

10 = Masterpiece
Not all games are perfect, but a 10 comes close and is something very speical and rare - It is without a doubt a must buy regardless of what genre's you like.

9.5 - 9.9 = Increadible
Titles that get in this score range are fantastic achievements in design, gameplay, and story - usually all of the above. These are titles at the top of their field and are worhtly of your hard earned dollars.

9.0 - 9.4 = Outstanding
If a game gets in this range you know that it is a worthwhile experiance with only a few minor flaws. If you are the least bit interested in the series/genre it is recommended for a buy.

8.0 - 8.9 = Great
A strong gaming experiance that misses some key elements in a few areas. While still highly recommended for a buy, if you are not interested in the genre/series these games could be skipped.

7.0 - 7.9 = Decent
A title that is still quite fun but has significant flaws which drag down the gameplay, hindering a good experiance throughout the game. Games that fall under this score are recommended for a rent or quite possibilty a buy if you are a fan of the series.

4.0 - 6.9 = Poor
A generic title that doesn't offer anything new to the table with obvious and serious flaws. Games under this category are not advised for a buy although you may be able to squeeze some fun out of them with a rent.

0.1 - 3.9 = Terrible
Titles that ensure a terrible gaming experiance. Do not buy or rent, just avoid them at all costs.

Edited by The Colonel, 06 August 2009 - 09:46 PM.

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
Nice review, apart from the spelling errors and typing mistakes here and there. Well outlined what was good about the game, and what could've been improved. I myself also enjoyed the game very much, and rank it at the top of my favourites!

For some reason, I couldn't find myself around the word engrossing -- for some reason, it sounded negative to me. Probably just me.

Guest_Sethasstor_*

Guest_Sethasstor_*
  • Guests
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Apr 12 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason, I couldn't find myself around the word engrossing -- for some reason, it sounded negative to me. Probably just me.

probably because of the word gross in it.. but yea good review, GREAT game.

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Apr 12 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice review, apart from the spelling errors and typing mistakes here and there. Well outlined what was good about the game, and what could've been improved. I myself also enjoyed the game very much, and rank it at the top of my favourites!

haha thats funny I just realized how many times ive said that word in the review.. Going over spelling mistakes now.

EDIT: Fixed up a lot of the review, I recommened a re-read if you've read the old version. This one is better icon_biggrin.gif

DarkKitchen

DarkKitchen
  • Members
  • 1,894 posts
Your rating is horrible. It should be more like 9000/10!!

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
the 10/10 goes to Majora's Mask icon_biggrin.gif

BlanetheTrain(assimilator)

BlanetheTrain(assimilator)
  • GA Private
  • 1,123 posts
  • xfire:blanetrain
  • Interests:Whatever you want them to be.
  • Steam ID:blanethetrain
  • Gamer Army ID:2367
  • Company:India
Ahhh, nostalgia. The N64 days were so full of elations.

This game deserves all praise. I remember playing long after I had completed the game, sometimes just to explore the beautiful environments.
Would you like to look at some of my wares?

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Awesome review... And it gave me an idea, icon_biggrin.gif.

fhouse

fhouse
  • GA Major
  • 962 posts
  • Interests:video games, computers, the internet, reading, stuff<br /><br />jesus chrst, i'm a stereotypical geek.<br /><br />rest assured that i'm a girl and thus really good at covering up this fact with my physical appearance. i 'lost' my glasses and no longer wear braces.<br /><br />SSBB FC:004468173189
  • Wii:3001107069525936
  • Gamer Army ID:3479
  • Company:Pi
when i think of an N64, i see a beautiful aura of light around it.

this is an awesome game.

KronicDown

KronicDown
  • Members
  • 381 posts
  • xfire:masterkron
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Apr 22 2008, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Majora's Mask was a great game and my personal favourite Zelda, but OoT was more revoluationary and probably deserves the 10/10 more.

I've actually got a MM review I did a while back. I might clean it up and post it here.

Oh yeah, great review too icon_biggrin.gif

Mofoville

Mofoville
  • Members
  • 159 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Mofovill
  • Wii:3308-4358-2559
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Apr 21 2008, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

why the hell does everyone like MM!?!

that game sucked ass! how can you have a legend of zelda game without zelda!? what the fuck?
O_O T3h_Pwnsauce

KronicDown

KronicDown
  • Members
  • 381 posts
QUOTE (Mofoville @ May 1 2008, 07:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why the hell does everyone like MM!?!

that game sucked ass! how can you have a legend of zelda game without zelda!? what the fuck?

Technically she's in the game for all of 10 seconds icon_razz.gif

MM was a good game because it was different to the rest of the Zelda series. Not so different that it could be considered seperate from the franchise, but it didn't use the same story as most of the big Zelda games (Triforce, Gannon, Hyrule, etc.) and had a lot of features and mechanics like the masks and time travel that made it unique. It was also darker and more psychadellic. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but the people who enjoyed it liked it for those reasons.

technoDave

technoDave
  • GA Private
  • 780 posts
  • xfire:tehdave1990
  • Interests:Games, programming, guitar playing, electronics and beer.
  • Steam ID:Señor Giggles
  • Xbox / GFWL:biopunk08
  • Gamer Army ID:698
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (KronicDown @ May 1 2008, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Technically she's in the game for all of 10 seconds icon_razz.gif

MM was a good game because it was different to the rest of the Zelda series. Not so different that it could be considered seperate from the franchise, but it didn't use the same story as most of the big Zelda games (Triforce, Gannon, Hyrule, etc.) and had a lot of features and mechanics like the masks and time travel that made it unique. It was also darker and more psychadellic. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but the people who enjoyed it liked it for those reasons.

This man has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

One of the things I especially liked about MM was that bosses were replayable, unlike in OOT. The bosses themselves were more interesting, too.
\m/

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (technoDave @ May 1 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the things I especially liked about MM was that bosses were replayable, unlike in OOT. The bosses themselves were more interesting, too.

I loved fighting the first boss while using the bunny hood ^.^

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
yeah majora's mask certianly was kick ass, although I wouldnt say it was better than Ocarina of time.

Mofoville

Mofoville
  • Members
  • 159 posts
but there were only four dungeons!!! gah.
O_O T3h_Pwnsauce

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (Mofoville @ May 1 2008, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but there were only four dungeons!!! gah.

but they were longer and more difficult then the dungeons in Oot, and there was a whole lot of shit on the side to make up for that

Mofoville

Mofoville
  • Members
  • 159 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ May 1 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but they were longer and more difficult then the dungeons in Oot, and there was a whole lot of shit on the side to make up for that

ill give you that, there was alot more side-shit, but the dungeons werent that long O_o, the first dungeon was actually pretty fuckin short =/
O_O T3h_Pwnsauce

Plasmic Fury

Plasmic Fury

• Members
  • 5,912 posts
It bascally just took way longer to get into the actual temple. Each place u went to u had to figure out a lot of shit before you could enter the temple.

KronicDown

KronicDown
  • Members
  • 381 posts
Majora's Mask was more focused on side quests than the rest of the Zelda series. Yeah, there weren't as many dungeons, but the number and depth of side quests made up for it. (plus the dungeons they had were fucking cool...rememeber flipping Stone Tower Temple over?)

Also, transformation masks. Zora and Oni Link ftw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users