Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Reviews Section Main Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
The Reviews Section Main Discussion

Like the title states, this thread is for people to discuss the Reviews Section. This thread is not for discussing the individual reviews, it is for discussing the section in general.

Feel free to talk about:

The general status of the section
The upkeep of the section
Various Errata/Mistakes
Ideas you have for the section

And things of that nature. Remember, if you want to discuss a review, then discuss it in that review's thread.

Have fun and enjoy!

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
Well you made some spelling mistakes in the other stickies, but that isn't really important icon_razz.gif
I already talked about this before, and the rules were changed a bit but I'm still not too fond of them:
"1. If you have a post count of under 5, just for quality assurance, please submit your review to be looked over by one of the mods of the section, or have 3 people vouch for you. We don't want to hinder your creativity, we just want to insure a good quality post. icon_smile.gif We also reserve the right, as mods, to delete any reviews deemed inappropriate, controversial, or horribly written in general.
So keep it clean and keep it well done, alright?

3. Please provide a summary of 1 or more sites along with the link showing the site's score on the game. Yes, we'd rather like to hear your review more so than another site's, but if someone is saying a game like my pretty pony adventure is the world's best game and every site gave it a 0, well... it just gives some of the people who are reading the forum a reference to see other opinions if they so choose so."

Well, for #1 I'm not sure if that's a typo (you said people shouldn't do a review with a post count under 5), and maybe you meant 50? I'm kind of starting to lean towards that people should have a bit of experience on the forums just so they kind of know how things are done here, maybe like 100 posts. 5 is kind of silly, it may as well be 0.

Concerning #3 again I kind of think the point is that you want people's opinion from this community, and not some other site. Although I guess I can understand if it's a game nobody has like heard of and the person reviewing it is very biased, it may be good to hear somebody's opinion that's a bit more credible. So I guess that posting another site isn't too bad.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 28 2008, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, for #1 I'm not sure if that's a typo (you said people shouldn't do a review with a post count under 5), and maybe you meant 50? I'm kind of starting to lean towards that people should have a bit of experience on the forums just so they kind of know how things are done here, maybe like 100 posts. 5 is kind of silly, it may as well be 0.

I have to agree. To me 5 is the same as 0. Any bonehead can get 5 posts within the first 5 minutes on this forum.

Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Mar 28 2008, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree. To me 5 is the same as 0. Any bonehead can get 5 posts within the first 5 minutes on this forum.

Yea 50 or 100 IMO is good, it's not like you have to spend months or something to get there, but at the same time you can't just do that so quickly either.
BTW, in the review links sticky you have all the reviewers' opinions next to the link to their review. For mine it just says:"Recommended" which doesn't mean much should say Rent.

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 28 2008, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea 50 or 100 IMO is good, it's not like you have to spend months or something to get there, but at the same time you can't just do that so quickly either.
BTW, in the review links sticky you have all the reviewers' opinions next to the link to their review. For mine it just says:"Recommended" which doesn't mean much should say Rent.

Aight, I'll go fix those two things. Thanks guys.

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
Hmm, can I do two reviews in one thread?

I just got
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
and
Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7

And was thinking of maybe doing a "FF portable double feature" or something of the sort after I beat them.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 30 2008, 03:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, can I do two reviews in one thread?

I just got
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
and
Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7

And was thinking of maybe doing a "FF portable double feature" or something of the sort after I beat them.

It's probably better to keep them separate unless the games are like connected. Like a sequel for example.

Sig1.jpg

Amethyst

Amethyst
  • GA Sergeant
  • 736 posts
  • Steam ID:PPGA_Amethyst
  • Xbox / GFWL:Lady Goggles
  • PSN:EmmaEmmerich
  • Gamer Army ID:1557
  • Company:Kilo
Question regarding older games.
I'd love to write reviews, but the majority of titles I have are games that are 6 months old, and then some.
I'm guessing this section is primarily about current/recently released games, then, or would submitting reviews for older titles be permissible?

amethystsig2ex3.jpg

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 30 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's probably better to keep them separate unless the games are like connected. Like a sequel for example.

Yeah; you can put multiple reviews in a single thread, but like UDP said, I'd prefer it if they were connected by sequel/prequel/upgrade status.

Like for example, if you decided to review FFVII And Crisis Core, then it would work fine. But in that case, make two threads. We've got the space icon_wink.gif

QUOTE (Amethyst @ Mar 30 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd love to write reviews, but the majority of titles I have are games that are 6 months old, and then some.
I'm guessing this section is primarily about current/recently released games, then, or would submitting reviews for older titles be permissible?

I see no problem with this; my favorite review site focus a lot on older games. If the review is good, then I don't care if it's on Ghosts And Goblins XD People need to play older games; that's always been my view on it.

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (Amethyst @ Mar 31 2008, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I intend on doing a review for Quake3 eventually; age is really no boundry when you think that gameplay in older games was and is still at such a high standard.

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
QUOTE (Tree_ @ Mar 31 2008, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I intend on doing a review for Quake3 eventually; age is really no boundry when you think that gameplay in older games was and is still at such a high standard.

Aye; what this man said.

*Edit* And something I might want to point out; try not to use the term Gameplay all that much.

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (SN3S @ Mar 31 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye; what this man said.

*Edit* And something I might want to point out; try not to use the term Gameplay all that much.

rofl, makes sense. Kind of like why I don't like to use numbers to rate games. I think it's just a matter of presenting the facts and your opinion on them, instead of:"This game is so good, you don't even know how good it is, if it was on a scale from 1 to good, it would be off the charts."

Sig1.jpg

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (SN3S @ Mar 31 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aye; what this man said.

I disagree, just because games can be graded on so many different levels then books or movies and such.

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 31 2008, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree, just because games can be graded on so many different levels then books or movies and such.

Which is why it's derogatory, if not downright disrespectful to assign such a varied topic a simple term called "gameplay", which can encompass many different aspects.

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 31 2008, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which is why it's derogatory, if not downright disrespectful to assign such a varied topic a simple term called "gameplay", which can encompass many different aspects.

But that's my two cents, I'm not expecting anyone to agree. I've got strange ways of doing things...

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
People don't seem to be reading the review guidelines as they are not adding the poll into their reviews.

#1 Resident Evil Fan

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (Tjharwin @ Mar 31 2008, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People don't seem to be reading the review guidelines as they are not adding the poll into their reviews.

It's not mandatory AFAIK, but it's kind of nice IMO. They can always edit the poll in later.

Sig1.jpg

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (UDP @ Mar 31 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not mandatory AFAIK, but it's kind of nice IMO. They can always edit the poll in later.

I guess...

I just wrote my first review and included it in mine after reading the guidelines, but I noticed the other reviews were missing it. Well, a lot of them anyway.

#1 Resident Evil Fan

UDP

UDP

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
QUOTE (Tjharwin @ Mar 31 2008, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess...

I just wrote my first review and included it in mine after reading the guidelines, but I noticed the other reviews were missing it. Well, a lot of them anyway.

Like more than half of them were made before this became its' own section and had those guidelines, so that's why most of them don't have it, some of the new ones don't but I think eventually people will hopefully start doing it more. I edited the poll into my review but most people didn't.

Sig1.jpg

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
QUOTE (SN3S @ Mar 31 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that's my two cents, I'm not expecting anyone to agree. I've got strange ways of doing things...

Yeah but gameplay pretty much comes down to "how the game plays"
It's the core of the game, where things such as sound and graphics don't fit.

Some people don't care about the graphics and such, so the gameplay is what compels them to get a game. As in what you do in the game, and how it works.

Unless you can think of a better term for it, gameplay works fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users