Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Reviews Section Main Discussion

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
QUOTE (UDP @ Apr 1 2008, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like more than half of them were made before this became its' own section and had those guidelines, so that's why most of them don't have it, some of the new ones don't but I think eventually people will hopefully start doing it more. I edited the poll into my review but most people didn't.

In the case of De Blob and Echoes (By SN3S and myself respectively), it's hard to follow the guideline layed out for poll's as the games are free to download. But i'll be sure to add it to any retail games I cover in the future.

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
QUOTE (bloodvayne @ Mar 31 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah but gameplay pretty much comes down to "how the game plays"
It's the core of the game, where things such as sound and graphics don't fit.

Some people don't care about the graphics and such, so the gameplay is what compels them to get a game. As in what you do in the game, and how it works.

Unless you can think of a better term for it, gameplay works fine

And now we come to the misleading part. By far the biggest problem with the word gameplay is that it's too all-encompassing to be of any use. When you say "this game has bad gameplay" you are not really giving me any more useful information than if you had simply said "this is a bad game". Besides, it seems that different people have different ideas of what gameplay is supposed to mean; there is nothing like a widely-accepted definition (check also: dictionaries). So, to the eyes of an astute reader, the term has come to basically signify that the writer cannot be troubled to specify what it is he likes or doesn't like about a game.

In the end, sloppy use of words promotes sloppy thinking, and before you know it you are sprouting nonsense like "The most important part of a game is the gameplay". If this sentence doesn't sound dumb to you it's because you've been brainwashed from seeing it in print a billion times. For perspective, this is just as pointless as saying "The most important part of a movie is the moviewatch".

In closing, I'd like to quote a friend of mine who works as a game designer, and who will remain anonymous for reasons soon to become obvious.

As a designer, I dislike the word gameplay mostly on the basis that it's extremely vague and is the easiest "get out of jail free" card that a higher-up can use to not describe why it is he doesn't like the thing you just did. The problem with it is that it has different meanings to everyone, and mostly it boils down to "it is, or it's not, like my favourite game in some way". Some people maintain that gameplay is about controls, or A.I., or mechanics, or a balance of all of the above, but none of this is useful. I try to avoid using the term as much as possible, and instead go for a variety of much more specific terms, like mechanic, loop, system, world, rule, mode, flow, object, behaviour, and others, to get people describing exactly what the problem is.

This approach sometimes works, but often it doesn't because the person reporting the problem is simply too used to saying "the gameplay's wrong" and then pointing out extremely minor things that they see as wrong, many of which have nothing to do with the design (a favourite example being the exec producer who told me that the gameplay was wrong because he didn't like a particular explosion effect), waving their arms around like idiots, or using truly inane corollary examples.

So there you have it. If you are involved with games on a regular basis you stand to gain a lot by crossing out this useless word from your vocabulary, and replacing it either with the word 'game', or with more specific ones such as: mechanics, controls, level design, etc., as appropriate.

Woof!

(I agree with this parse of text right here!)

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

bloodvayne

bloodvayne
  • Members
  • 4,038 posts
  • xfire:killercowld
  • Xbox / GFWL:bloodvayne360
  • PSN:killercow_ld
  • Wii:1681832568364918
But the term "gameplay" culminates all of those little things that can't be fit into a different category, it's why you can't say the gameplay sucks, or the gameplay was awesome, without giving reasons for itt. Those reasons end up detailing all those minor details.

Think what you must, but I'm not backing down that gameplay is the perfect term to use.

macintosh

macintosh
  • Members
  • 910 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:macintosh3000
  • PSN:LOL! Yeah right.
  • Wii:6094170214105040
Hmmm... I'm in to reviewing lately, let's go for the one-a-day mark should we? Just kidding. But I think I will review Ghost Squad on the Wii today, after I've been to town and done some revision. ^^

Next DS game I'll review will probably be Elite Beat Agents or maybe even pokemon Diamond, because hopefully a review will entice me into playing the game some more... I really wanna 100% my pokedex. XD In terms of the next release I'll review: Ninja Gaiden DS, because I'm sure a fair few people will want to know what that game's like.

Tjharwin

Tjharwin
  • GA Private
  • 509 posts
  • xfire:Tjharwin
  • Interests:Video Games, Music, Piano, Biking, Basketball, Darts, Movies, Anime
  • Steam ID:Tjharwin
  • Wii:1411727041221402
  • Gamer Army ID:3669
  • Company:Gamma
QUOTE (macintosh @ Apr 3 2008, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm... I'm in to reviewing lately, let's go for the one-a-day mark should we? Just kidding. But I think I will review Ghost Squad on the Wii today, after I've been to town and done some revision. ^^

Next DS game I'll review will probably be Elite Beat Agents or maybe even pokemon Diamond, because hopefully a review will entice me into playing the game some more... I really wanna 100% my pokedex. XD In terms of the next release I'll review: Ninja Gaiden DS, because I'm sure a fair few people will want to know what that game's like.

Yeah, I'm revising too. GCSE's? They're a pain. I might review all the Resident Evil games I have. DON'T ANYONE ELSE TOUCH THEM!

#1 Resident Evil Fan

macintosh

macintosh
  • Members
  • 910 posts
QUOTE (Tjharwin @ Apr 3 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'm revising too. GCSE's? They're a pain. I might review all the Resident Evil games I have. DON'T ANYONE ELSE TOUCH THEM!

Nah dude, I'm revising for A2's ^^ Bloody History of art - it's a pain. Did my art exam already adn just don't care about Graphics. lol. I need to "pass AN a level" to get into my foundation art course. XD

Sorry, but I beat ya to Umbrella Chronicles. I might update the review with a second look though... but to be honest, not too much has changed. If you're reviewing Resi 1, will it be the remake or the original or Deadly Silence? icon_razz.gif I liked Deadly Silence, finished it about 5 times now. "He was our old partner you know..."

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
I think that in the review links thread, after organizing the reviews by console, we should separate them by alphabetical order after, to make it easier to find once we have a crapload of threads.

Upcoming review: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS)

I'll probably go for the one-a-week mark, just so that I can hone my Mad Reviewingz Skillz.

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Apr 3 2008, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that in the review links thread, after organizing the reviews by console, we should separate them by alphabetical order after, to make it easier to find once we have a crapload of threads.

Oh indeed; I just haven't gotten to it yet. Will probably fix that this weekend though.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
Rofl, what the fuck, I didn't see this section until just now...:\

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Jengerer

Jengerer

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
I'm curious: is this section limited to newer consoles of the current generation, or are we allowed to review older games as well for GameCube, and even N64 games? I think that there are some great games that people might not have had a chance to play for older systems.

The reason I ask this is because in the Links section, I only see newest generation consoles and handheld consoles.

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
QUOTE (Jengerer @ Apr 7 2008, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm curious: is this section limited to newer consoles of the current generation, or are we allowed to review older games as well for GameCube, and even N64 games? I think that there are some great games that people might not have had a chance to play for older systems.

The reason I ask this is because in the Links section, I only see newest generation consoles and handheld consoles.

QUOTE (Amethyst @ Mar 30 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question regarding older games.
I'd love to write reviews, but the majority of titles I have are games that are 6 months old, and then some.
I'm guessing this section is primarily about current/recently released games, then, or would submitting reviews for older titles be permissible?

I see no problem with this; my favorite review site focus a lot on older games. If the review is good, then I don't care if it's on Ghosts And Goblins XD People need to play older games; that's always been my view on it.

Older games are just fine by me. There's none of the older consoles in the links thread because there are no reviews for them at the present.

Jengerer

Jengerer

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
QUOTE (SN3S @ Apr 7 2008, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see no problem with this; my favorite review site focus a lot on older games. If the review is good, then I don't care if it's on Ghosts And Goblins XD People need to play older games; that's always been my view on it.

Older games are just fine by me. There's none of the older consoles in the links thread because there are no reviews for them at the present.

Right, thanks. I guess I should L2ReadPreviousPosts first, right? icon_wink.gif

Dex

Dex
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:stuff..
  • Steam ID:csterevro
rawr, whops just posted the question that was just asked. throw "you can review older games" somewhere in the guidelines section icon_razz.gif lol
mhm...

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
  • xfire:Gforcecrisis
  • Interests:Oh you know... stuff.
  • Xbox / GFWL:Rehd1906
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:5743384498007899
  • Gamer Army ID:3472
  • Company:Hotel
Just a thought, but I think it would be great if we could add a sticky that is a request for game reviews, and then maybe update the first post to show what games are wanted for what console to be reviewed, etc. I just sorta think that would be cool cause I want someone to review that one world game on the ds but I has no where to ask. D:
QUOTE (raw_genesis @ Dec 15 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
penis is ALWAYS relevent...

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Rehd @ Apr 24 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a thought, but I think it would be great if we could add a sticky that is a request for game reviews, and then maybe update the first post to show what games are wanted for what console to be reviewed, etc. I just sorta think that would be cool cause I want someone to review that one world game on the ds but I has no where to ask. D:

That's an awesome idea, it just further supports what I was saying before, the reviews help people decide if they want the game or not, and if there is no review on that game then your idea works perfectly. They want to know if they should get it so they ask someone to review it, brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Apr 24 2008, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's an awesome idea, it just further supports what I was saying before, the reviews help people decide if they want the game or not, and if there is no review on that game then your idea works perfectly. They want to know if they should get it so they ask someone to review it, brilliant icon_biggrin.gif

Can I has review now? D:

UDP

UDP

Most Helpful Member '09 | The Community Contributor

• GA Private
  • 5,324 posts
  • xfire:XUndeadPersonX
  • Wii:3868004744953407
  • Rofl-Rupees:6
  • Gamer Army ID:3683
  • Company:Bravo
QUOTE (Rehd @ Apr 24 2008, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I has review now? D:

Of what? I guess I won't know until the sticky is added icon_biggrin.gif

Sig1.jpg

Yeah, he doesn't understand. It's not your post count, it's MAKING YOUR POSTS COUNT!

Rehd

Rehd
  • GA Private
  • 2,387 posts
QUOTE (UDP @ Apr 24 2008, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of what?

That ds game that SN3S has, it's weebo stuff and like... you use dual screens, it has the word world in it, just came out. I had a brainfart and I don't wanna look it up. D:

SN3S

SN3S

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
QUOTE (Rehd @ Apr 24 2008, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That ds game that SN3S has, it's weebo stuff and like... you use dual screens, it has the word world in it, just came out. I had a brainfart and I don't wanna look it up. D:

I lol'd. Sadly my DS has a hole in the top screen, so I haven't used it in like 2 months. And the game is called "the world ends with you".

Hmm, I guess I'll work on that sticky today; it sounds like a solid idea.

macintosh

macintosh
  • Members
  • 910 posts
Alright, I'm roughly the same ammount of time through these:

The World Ends with You
Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
Ninja Gaiden

So I'll be reviewing those at some point and then FF IV when it comes out.

I was a bit dis-heartened to learn that Yahtzee has done WEWY... but I need to give at least a few people a more balanced review.

EDIT: Sorry, just read above... is some one already gonna review WEWY?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users