Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

US military uses Wiimote to defuse bombs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
US Military use Wii to blow up bombs
Thursday 27-Mar-2008 12:01 PM Motion-sensitive controllers operating mine-defusing robots

The United States military has adapted the motion-sensitive Wii Remotes to operate bomb-defusing robots in war-zone situations, it's emerged.

The Packbot, which looks a lot like Johnny-5 in Short Circuit and is made by iRobot in Burlington, Massachusetts, disposes of bombs, finds explosives and locates landmines for soldiers in the field.

It's also controlled by the Wii Remote. "Wiimotes are more instinctive, allowing users to focus on data processing," US Department of Energy scientists told New Scientist.

Unfortunately, there's no word yet on whether we can see a home edition from the US Government, ala America's Army.

rofl... what do they do, shake the wiimote to cut the red wire? shake the nunchuk to cut the blue?

sauce

Wii. Serious business eses.

SN3S

SN3S

Best Newcomer | Best Console Contributor 2007 Rawr:3

• Retired Staff
  • 4,682 posts
  • xfire:sn3s
  • Interests:Gaming (Mostly Fighting/Puzzle/Platforming), Comics/Anime, Puttering around with Photoshop, Reading, Listening to Music, <br />Being a Geek, etc...
  • PSN:LucidMomentum
  • Wii:1464476386663937
  • Gamer Army ID:3234
QUOTE (Myth @ Mar 28 2008, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rofl... what do they do, shake the wiimote to cut the red wire? shake the nunchuk to cut the blue?

Well, it's probably the exact same mechanism that they use for a normal mine-defusing robot, which is pretty much that they set off the bomb but do it in a controlled manner when no one's around.

It's an excellent idea because when you think about it, wii remotes only cost like 20$ to manufacture, and they are quite user-friendly. Compare that to the price of a complex remote control, and you can see why they're doing it.

QUOTE (Joby @ May 3 2008, 08:13 PM)
We need to find you a girl that doesn't end in .jpeg

way2lazy2care

way2lazy2care
  • Members
  • 10,808 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:way2lazy2care
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
QUOTE (SN3S @ Mar 28 2008, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's an excellent idea because when you think about it, wii remotes only cost like 20$ to manufacture, and they are quite user-friendly. Compare that to the price of a complex remote control, and you can see why they're doing it.

$20 at most. I wouldn't be suprised if the US got a contract to get a bunch of them for supa cheap.
SPAMBOTSTOOKOVERMYSITE D:
Give me LoL Referals.

QUOTE (Virus52 @ Mar 3 2008, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ALL HAIL THE GREAT AND MIGHTY MOTH!

QUOTE (SN3S @ May 6 2008, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No sensuality; this is all for fitness.

inst1nct

inst1nct
  • Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Andrew Rosati
Meh, I'd cut the wrong wire on accident using a wiimote...

Squatchface

Squatchface
  • Members
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Games an' stuf
  • Xbox / GFWL:Squatchface
They better boost the range and reception lol

technoDave

technoDave
  • GA Private
  • 780 posts
  • xfire:tehdave1990
  • Interests:Games, programming, guitar playing, electronics and beer.
  • Steam ID:Seņor Giggles
  • Xbox / GFWL:biopunk08
  • Gamer Army ID:698
  • Company:Gamma
The Wiimote strikes me as something more suited to be used as a control device for a gun turret of some sort.
\m/

AlbenoEpiX

AlbenoEpiX
  • Members
  • 261 posts
I'd imagine that the control scheme would resemble that of Wolf-link in TP.

Right button on the d-pad to sense the bombs and down on the d-pad to dig them up.

Vorrik

Vorrik

IRC Loudmouth, I ask Xim inappropriate shit.

• Members
  • 987 posts
  • xfire:conarus
  • Interests:Cowtipping
  • Xbox / GFWL:dun play
  • PSN:dun have
  • Wii:dun have
rofl i can imagine a wii game based around this, much like america's army on the pc : to get people interested in joining the army
"Error E2061 date.h 13: Friends must be functions or classes"-Borland c++ compiler.

Jengerer

Jengerer

2009 Softest Hair Winner & Best Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 3,243 posts
  • xfire:Jengerer
  • Interests:Video games. Who knew?
  • Steam ID:Jengerer
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:4485
Does it auto-target the bomb if you press Z while facing it? icon_lol.gif

The Wii seems to be becoming more than just a video game console; it's sparking lots of creativity with developers in general, like the robotic arm controlled by the Wii, the home-made head-tracking, and tons of really creative stuff that could be used in the real world.

They'd just better hope that the battery doesn't run out while they're carrying the bomb! Damn Nintendo had better make some official batteries and charger for the Wii, I feel so ripped off if I buy the ones by Nyko, and Super-Tech or some stupid stuff like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users