Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blizzard in legal battle over "bot" software

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Barlowe

Barlowe
  • GA Private
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, reading, writing.
  • Steam ID:Barlowe
  • Xbox / GFWL:Barl0we
  • Gamer Army ID:3073
  • Company:Eta
Hope Blizz wins.

Botters are lazy shites. And TBH, this is as bad for me as someone getting their account from eBay or somesuch. Since YOU didn't take the time to learn all the tricks of your class / spec while levelling, I'll be stuck with n00bs who do idiotic things in instances.

Chatting is a skill?!? <-- I talk randomly un an uneven schedule about games.

Smokey

Smokey
  • Members
  • 3,394 posts
  • xfire:smokeymcfuzz
Blizzard should/will win.
sup

Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 704 posts
  • Steam ID:Seantbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Seantbh
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Apr 3 2008, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, sorry for drawing a comparason to how lazy you are by botting. icon_rolleyes.gif It still doesn't change the fact that if you're doing something that takes time and effort YOU don't want to put in, that you're going to look for the easy way out. And how doesn't that relate to real life? Okay then. icon_rolleyes.gif

The only way that Botting helps the community is if it's a low population server. Otherwise as was said a very SMALL amount of the population is botters especially on a PVP server, and everyone grinds at one point which means that most of the items don't come from botters. So how do they help again? 'Cause everyone I know farms their own mats/patterns/drops rather then buying them from the AH.

Also if you think WoW is such a waste of time, why would you even play it? Do you know how retarded that sounds? "I play wow, but I think it's a complete waste of time and I could be spending my life doing better things." Why even bother paying for it if you'd rather bott then play? Riddle me that Batman.

And what do I gain from botting again? Oh right, I don't get to play the game I'm paying to play. Oh I see where that makes perfect sense!

Because there is a massive difference between RL and a fucking game, moron.

No flaming plz~FF

Did I say WoW was a waste of time? You're drawing your own conclusions. I simply stated that getting to 70 is very tedious, although I'm sure there are people (like you) who get massive boners over spending days hitting 70. I'm leveling to 70 at the moment, does that mean I'm awesome?

Edited by Frost Fang, 04 April 2008 - 01:44 PM.

frostyfuzion101

frostyfuzion101
  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
If you consider botters "unfair" you have to realize that its all situational. I hypothetically of course leveled a rogue to 40, and then quit wow. My friend hypothetically gave me his paladin which hypothetically was 62. I leveled it to 70, got full 5 man blues back when heroics were revered, and started doing heroics. Then the account got stolen. I got my account back, leveled it a bit, and realized that... Going back to level 40 sucked ass. I botted 42-58 and then started playing for real again. Is it really that bad that instead of doing 42-58 I did 62-70/gear grind? I honestly don't care if people bot to 70, as long as they don't join any groups I'm in and suck ass. A lot of people have a "OMFGIDIDITSOYOUHAVETODOITTOOFUCKYOU", and the problem is that it never really happens like that. People get help lvling to 70, get runs through instances, and blizzard removes attunements/makes things easier all the time. Some people only like the endgame part of the game, and without botting I don't think they ever would have made it there.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
QUOTE (Sean @ Apr 3 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because there is a massive difference between RL and a fucking game, moron.

Did I say WoW was a waste of time? You're drawing your own conclusions. I simply stated that getting to 70 is very tedious, although I'm sure there are people (like you) who get massive boners over spending days hitting 70. I'm leveling to 70 at the moment, does that mean I'm awesome?

Half of the stuff wasn't for YOU cupcake. If you can read then you'd have read who else my comments were directed at. Take the umbrella out of your ass and think straight. I never flamed you once, be a man and aruge without resulting to petty insults.

Oh yes, I get a hardon for getting a character to 70. icon_rolleyes.gif I have only 1 70 and I worked my ass off to get it there. I don't even want to level an alt to 70 after getting to there already.

And no it's not stupid to link behavioural patterns from one thing to another. I'll even admit, that being lazy is contagious to all aspects of life. So yes, there is a good STRONG correlation between good feelings and all things we do in life. Possitive reinforcement can make us do two things in life, one of which is doing things the wrong way, the lazy cheap fastest least effort way. Or the hard working long and stressful way. So again, remind me where this doesn't have any connection?

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Apr 3 2008, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have only 1 70 and I worked my ass off to get it there. I don't even want to level an alt to 70 after getting to there already.

I got several characters to 70, on my own, and it only took a few weeks each time. It's not hard at all. I can't see how anyone would have to "work their ass off" to get there. After 70 is different.

See the thread about being able to pay as you go, because apparently you think everyone who plays has an ass load of time to commit to it. I have time to bot during the week, and I have time to play on the weekend. But I don't even play anymore because even botting can become time consuming.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Lord Mario

Lord Mario
  • Members
  • 691 posts
  • xfire:Maarjo
  • Interests:Q(''.Q)
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Apr 3 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one positive thing about botters is the amount of goods available to trade. Without people botting/farming there will be a lot less stuff for sale at the AH making prices a lot harder which in the end makes you grind a lot longer...whether you have to grind for the item or the gold to buy that item.

Yes , I agree. There are both good and bad things with bots.

the_wandererererrr

the_wandererererrr
  • Banned
  • 677 posts
after reading the thread, my judgment on the matter is that blizzard should win because it's their game and letting people slide past the hard work is not only as bad as cheating but it is a huge slap in the face to the people who actually do the hard work. allowing mmoglide to exist makes getting to level 70 less special or important because then more people can do it. it undermines the game.

also, the people who have been arguing for the use of mmoglide haven't done anything but make excuses and arouse sympathy for their cheating ways.

for these reasons, down with mmoglide.

notice how i didn't mention my own problems anywhere above -- that's called being objective.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
QUOTE (the_wandererererrr @ Apr 4 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
allowing mmoglide to exist makes getting to level 70 less special or important because then more people can do it.

Getting to 70 is special but wanting to experience other classess is boring and tedious when you have to go through the same shit again.

I'm all for the option of once you get to 70 you can create a free 70 of your choosing...that would eliminate a lot of bot usage, but...

Note that a lot of botters just don't bot to get to lvl 70; they bot to sell gold, they bot for honor, etc.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (cadetduke @ Apr 4 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm all for the option of once you get to 70 you can create a free 70 of your choosing

QFT

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
And yes, I'd like to see anyone level to 70 easily on Illidan especially pre BC when you didn't have any friends to help you level. Then on top of that being Alliance.

I'd like to see anyone level through the 30's when you can't level in STV, or even get a group for SM, or do Badlands/desolace or any other level 30 place. Yet this is all still before the 40 grind and 50 grind.

You had to work your ass off to hit 60, because of the volumous number of horde camping the entire world waiting for lowbies.

Although yes, I do agree that you should get a free -60- once you hit 70. That way you have time to play/learn and get gear for your character. Besides the 60-70 isn't that hard/bad either 'cause most of the instances in outlands are fun.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
Holy fucking hell:

You had no friends to help you level > you had no reason to be on that server > you should have moved to a different server (probably PvE for your sake) > you had no reason to cry.

I leveled ALL of my toons (ALL Alliance) with no help from anyone on a very high population server, no problems at all...I'd get ganked I'd moved on. In fact I only had to stay in STV for 2-3 levels before having to move on so I was only there a day or two. Instances while leveling are pointless until BC, but even then I never ran instances until 70. Who cares if you couldn't find a group, fucking quest by yourself. Pick up the guide by Joana or Brian Kopps if you have to, most of it is solo questing.

maxz

maxz
  • GA Private
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of games (tabletop rpgs, tcgs, videogames) , music, sci-fi, pop science, pool
  • Gamer Army ID:1389
Interesting discussion here.

I think once you get a char to level 70, leveling your next char should be twice as fast and when that char is done three times as fast
and when that one is done four times as fast and so on. That way it would get progressively easier to level and it would
lessen the need to use bots for leveling.

I've never used Glider, but I have used a simple auto-it script for fishbotting in wailing caverns for savory deviate delights and selling them
in AH. I don't do it anymore, but back in the days of vanilla WoW I made about 100g per day from sales (30mins of work), which was pretty good money pre-TBC. I got me and my friend a epic mount and supplied my raid group with plenty of savorys icon_smile.gif . 40man raid consisting entirely of pirates and ninjas ftw icon_smile.gif

knoxer

knoxer
  • GA Private
  • 1,028 posts
  • xfire:Knoxer
  • Xbox / GFWL:Knoxer101
  • PSN:Knoxer
  • Wii:4894952128433818
  • Gamer Army ID:499
Bilizzard should win. Anyone that uses bots seriously is a douche that has no right to play in the first place. Why pay for a game that you are going to not even play? Also leveling is half the fun. Making a new alt is always a blast for me because it's always different. If you keep running the same thing then yeah it'll get boring, but you gotta mix things up.

Also I fully support banning botters and hackers of any kind.

BANNIES ARISE!

Smokey

Smokey
  • Members
  • 3,394 posts
QUOTE (knoxer @ Apr 4 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bilizzard should win. Anyone that uses bots seriously is a douche that has no right to play in the first place. Why pay for a game that you are going to not even play? Also leveling is half the fun. Making a new alt is always a blast for me because it's always different. If you keep running the same thing then yeah it'll get boring, but you gotta mix things up.

Also I fully support banning botters and hackers of any kind.

i agree with you.

leveling is part of the game, it's not supposed to be easy.

if you are really "bored" so to speak, reroll factions.
sup

macintosh

macintosh
  • Members
  • 910 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:macintosh3000
  • PSN:LOL! Yeah right.
  • Wii:6094170214105040
Wow, that certainly was an interesting case. Blizzard can't win though; It's just something that plays the game for you, they don't lose out on any money and the game has not been copied apart from into RAM, in which case isn't it repeatedly deleted IF it really is copied into RAM? Besides, technically most things are copied into RAM. Using this bot sounds a lot like getting some one to play the game for you - so fucking what?

I hope blizzard lose because:
a) WoW ruined Warcraft
B) Blizzard used to appear as though they cared, but now it just seems like... well... it just seems they care more about WoW than anything else.
c) I hate WoW for what it does to people and how much time it consumes. For example: Sir Kyle Aziz, you do realise that according to your Sig, you have lost 50.167 DAYS of your LIFE to warcraft alone!!!! You can quite literally lose friends to it.
d) Everyone's gotta die sometime Red... By this, I of course mean that Blizzard have been winning for far too long - it's about time they lost something.

otaku_4_life

otaku_4_life

Best MMO-RPG Contributor 08!

• Members
  • 4,566 posts
  • xfire:otaku4life
  • Steam ID:0:0:9287390
  • Xbox / GFWL:o
  • PSN:L
  • Wii:L
QUOTE (macintosh @ Apr 4 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope blizzard lose because:
a) WoW ruined Warcraft
B) Blizzard used to appear as though they cared, but now it just seems like... well... it just seems they care more about WoW than anything else.
c) I hate WoW for what it does to people and how much time it consumes. For example: Sir Kyle Aziz, you do realise that according to your Sig, you have lost 50.167 DAYS of your LIFE to warcraft alone!!!! You can quite literally lose friends to it.
d) Everyone's gotta die sometime Red... By this, I of course mean that Blizzard have been winning for far too long - it's about time they lost something.

Nominee for most fail post I've ever seen.

AKA:
QUOTE (Karko @ Aug 21 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that 12 year old canadian kid who used to play BF2 before going to WoW and becoming addicted

Smokey

Smokey
  • Members
  • 3,394 posts
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Apr 4 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sup

frostyfuzion101

frostyfuzion101
  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
Well, after playing my alt for a while... Anyone who actually bots their first real char to 70 fails (except me of course because I win). 2.3 made it so much easier to level, and its at a perfect speed now. When you get bored of a zone, you're high enough to move to another zone. I don't think leveling is a useless part of the game. It just used to be so tedious pre 2.3. That, and I like botters now because instead of having to farm cloth and stuff, we can just do a daily which takes 2 mins and buy like 5 stacks of the cloth that we want. It kind of sucks when you want to try to sell cloth though...

knoxer

knoxer
  • GA Private
  • 1,028 posts
  • xfire:Knoxer
  • Xbox / GFWL:Knoxer101
  • PSN:Knoxer
  • Wii:4894952128433818
  • Gamer Army ID:499
QUOTE (otaku_4_life @ Apr 4 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BANNIES ARISE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users