Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blizzard in legal battle over "bot" software

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Tree_

Tree_

<3's You Guys

• Retired Staff
  • 15,518 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:1
Legal battle over Warcraft 'bot'

The makers of World of Warcraft are locked in a legal battle with a firm that has produced a tool to automate many actions in the virtual world.
Blizzard is suing Michael Donnelly, the creator of the MMO Glider program, which performs key tasks in the game automatically, such as fighting.

Both sides have submitted legal summaries to a court in Arizona.

Blizzard says Glide is a software bot which infringes the company's copyright and potentially damages the game.

In its legal submission to the court last week, the firm said: "Blizzard's designs expectations are frustrated, and resources are allocated unevenly, when bots are introduced into the WoW universe, because bots spend far more time in-game than an ordinary player would and consume resources the entire time."

'Infringed agreement'

Blizzard argued that Michael Donnelly's tool also infringed the End User License Agreement that all parties have to adhere to when playing the game.

More than 100,000 copies of the tool have been sold, according to Mr Donnelly. More than 10 million people around the world play Warcraft.

Mr Donnelly said the first time had had been aware of potential legal action over his program was when a lawyer from Vivendi games, which publishes Warcraft, and an "unnamed private investigator" appeared at his home.

In his legal submission, he detailed: "When they arrived, they presented Donnelly with a copy of a complaint that they indicated would be filed the next day in the US District Court for the Central District of California if Donnelly did not immediately agree to stop selling Glider and return all profits that he made from Glider sales."

"Blizzard's audacious threats offended Donnelly," according to the legal papers.

Mr Donnelly says his tool does not infringe Blizzard's copyright because no "copy" of the Warcraft game client software is ever made.

Blizzard has said the tool infringes copyright because it copys the game into RAM in order to avoid detection by anti-cheat software.

The two parties are now awaiting a summary judgement in the case.

Source: BBC

3xp0sed

3xp0sed
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:ur mum
GG.. that guy

"Boomshakalakalaka"

frostyfuzion101

frostyfuzion101
  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
I hope he wins.. used to hate botters but now I'm glad they're here. Lowers our mat prices and blues, and it helps people get to 70 who hate the 40-60 grind.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
Is this a new story? He's been having legal battles for a better part of 2 years over his software. There's even a forum on his site dedicated to the legal troubles with the documents and everything posted.

Edit: Seems he posted the newest documents on the 21st.

MDY's motion:

http://www.mmoglider.com/legal/PlaintiffMSJ_2008_03_21.pdf
http://www.mmoglider.com/legal/PlaintiffSOF_2008_03_21.pdf

Blizzard's motion:

http://www.mmoglider.com/legal/DefendantsMSJ_2008_03_21.pdf
http://www.mmoglider.com/legal/DefendantsSOF_2008_03_21.pdf
http://www.mmoglider.com/legal/DefendantsA..._2008_03_21.pdf
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

Ganonheart

Ganonheart
  • Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • xfire:badazzewok
  • Xbox / GFWL:Ganonheart
QUOTE (frostyfuzion101 @ Mar 26 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope he wins.. used to hate botters but now I'm glad they're here. Lowers our mat prices and blues, and it helps people get to 70 who hate the 40-60 grind.

40-60 aint that bad.

I have done 40-53 in a week of "alt time"

Senor_Hat

Senor_Hat
  • GA Private
  • 909 posts
  • xfire:senorhat
  • Interests:Bass, Cooking, Gaming, Hacky Sack.
  • Gamer Army ID:3123
QUOTE (Ganonheart @ Apr 2 2008, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
40-60 aint that bad.

I have done 40-53 in a week of "alt time"

It's not that bad sure, but it's still the most grueling.

I have beaten The Internet. The end guy was hard.

serial_

serial_
  • Members
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Computers, teh Interweb...<br /><br />...and...<br /><br />...The_Duchess.
QUOTE (Senor_Hat @ Apr 2 2008, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not that bad sure, but it's still the most grueling.

if you know what quests to hit you can grind it in a day easy, afternoon if you buckle down. But yeah, def. the most boring part of the game. need more quests is the problem. Grinding becomes faster. I just do kill quests and grind through that.
Blog of Epic Amazing Randomness: http://www.epic-blog.com

I defeat, in a humilating manner, those who are inexperienced at the games that I play.

The Colonel

The Colonel

The Ghost of Christmas Past

• Retired Staff
  • 7,150 posts
  • Rofl-Rupees:5
Hope he loses.
And like that, he was gone.

frostyfuzion101

frostyfuzion101
  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
Its weird how much of wow's playerbase is actually just people using glider... Considering that ideally blizzard's 10 million players all play, and all of glider's 100,000 people have accounts, thats like 1-4% || of the player community, because most botters have like... 4 accounts going at a time, and they buy 4 more the second they sell them. Then you add in all the chinese gold farmers, and other bots, I would estimate that about 10% of the playerbase at least is doing some sort of RMT or going against the TOS.*

*Every number past || was pulled out of my ass.

Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 705 posts
  • Steam ID:Seantbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Seantbh
I seriously hope Blizzard lose the battle, because I really don't see a problem with botting. I don't do it myself, but I've never had a problem with a bot player around me. I mean, it does the things a human player would do, so I don't see a problem. People say it's 'cheating', but it's not really. Does the bot allow you to go from 1 to 70 instantly? Does the bot give you Tier 6 right away? No, it justy carrys out actions that help you.

Heck, some day I'm sure I'll try it out and see what it's like. But for now, being new to retail, I want to experience everything. There is also the problem of people reporting bots a lot. I've never reported a bot, because I personally don't see a problem with them.

Chriso

Chriso
  • Members
  • 694 posts
  • Interests:Tech
QUOTE (Sean @ Apr 3 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I seriously hope Blizzard lose the battle, because I really don't see a problem with botting. I don't do it myself, but I've never had a problem with a bot player around me. I mean, it does the things a human player would do, so I don't see a problem. People say it's 'cheating', but it's not really. Does the bot allow you to go from 1 to 70 instantly? Does the bot give you Tier 6 right away? No, it justy carrys out actions that help you.

Heck, some day I'm sure I'll try it out and see what it's like. But for now, being new to retail, I want to experience everything. There is also the problem of people reporting bots a lot. I've never reported a bot, because I personally don't see a problem with them.

Bots, hacks are the things ruining games, if your a true gamer and aint shit at every game you play, you should be able to play without them.
<ARealBed> techno
<ARealBed> did you know k0rpz was gay?
<k0rpz3y> ^
<ARealBed> o lawl
<k0rpz3y> wait a second!
<ARealBed> 8D

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
QUOTE (frostyfuzion101 @ Apr 2 2008, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its weird how much of wow's playerbase is actually just people using glider... Considering that ideally blizzard's 10 million players all play, and all of glider's 100,000 people have accounts, thats like 1-4% || of the player community, because most botters have like... 4 accounts going at a time, and they buy 4 more the second they sell them. Then you add in all the chinese gold farmers, and other bots, I would estimate that about 10% of the playerbase at least is doing some sort of RMT or going against the TOS.*

*Every number past || was pulled out of my ass.

Glider isn't the only botting software. I'd estimate it to be much higher than 10%. There's actually some software that is more popular than glider, but isn't as easy to setup as glider so more people seem to get caught with it. I know people who have 10 bots setup on the same PC. I know a person who has over 40 accounts.

QUOTE (Sean @ Apr 3 2008, 03:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does the bot allow you to go from 1 to 70 instantly?

It got me to 70 quicker than manually playing, plus I have bags full of Blues and Purples from the grindfest.

Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 705 posts
QUOTE (Chriso @ Apr 3 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bots, hacks are the things ruining games, if your a true gamer and aint shit at every game you play, you should be able to play without them.

This isn't CS, mate.

QUOTE (cadetduke @ Apr 3 2008, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glider isn't the only botting software. I'd estimate it to be much higher than 10%. There's actually some software that is more popular than glider, but isn't as easy to setup as glider so more people seem to get caught with it. I know people who have 10 bots setup on the same PC. I know a person who has over 40 accounts.

It got me to 70 quicker than manually playing, plus I have bags full of Blues and Purples from the grindfest.

That's the whole point of WoWglider.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Yes, a bot is the exact same thing as a hack. How is an aimbot which aims for you, any different then a bot that kills things for you in WoW? 'Cause seriously, there isn't one iota of a difference.

The bot farms for you, and basically does whatever you tell it to do. Thats a terrible way to play the game. If you bot, you shouldn't play the game. It's that simple. If you don't have the patience to do the little things in the game then DON'T PLAY. I hope Blizzard wins and Crushes these guys like a piano falling on someone from a 100 story window.

If anyone is seriously that lazy or bored/tired to do or of the things like farming or leveling, or whatever. They should just quit. Everyone else has to do it, why should you get off easy? You shouldn't. By even thinking of getting a bot to do it for you, just means you're not dedicated enough to do a minor thing in a game, and by judging on those standards it means you're too lazy or not dedicated to pull your weight in a job.

Might be grasping at straws with the last one, but it seems on par.

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Apr 3 2008, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone else has to do it, why should you get off easy?

ummmm wrong? They can get off just as easy by doing the same thing.

Sean

Sean
  • Members
  • 705 posts
QUOTE (Sir Kyle Aziz @ Apr 3 2008, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, a bot is the exact same thing as a hack. How is an aimbot which aims for you, any different then a bot that kills things for you in WoW? 'Cause seriously, there isn't one iota of a difference.

The bot farms for you, and basically does whatever you tell it to do. Thats a terrible way to play the game. If you bot, you shouldn't play the game. It's that simple. If you don't have the patience to do the little things in the game then DON'T PLAY. I hope Blizzard wins and Crushes these guys like a piano falling on someone from a 100 story window.

If anyone is seriously that lazy or bored/tired to do or of the things like farming or leveling, or whatever. They should just quit. Everyone else has to do it, why should you get off easy? You shouldn't. By even thinking of getting a bot to do it for you, just means you're not dedicated enough to do a minor thing in a game, and by judging on those standards it means you're too lazy or not dedicated to pull your weight in a job.

Might be grasping at straws with the last one, but it seems on par.

You're calling getting to 1-70 a minor thing? You're calling farming certain mats/items which have TERRIBLE drop rates a minor thing?

Also, fucking rofl @ you trying to compare something like WoW to an RL job.

"I use a bot in an online game called World of Warcraft which means I'm an incredibly lazy fuck that can't work IRL for RL money which will pay my RL bills and feeds myself and my RL family"(if the said person was to have one)

GR8 LOGIC!

EDIT: Haha, felt a bit evil after spoiling that, so I'll edit it out icon_razz.gif

QUOTE (cadetduke @ Apr 3 2008, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ummmm wrong? They can get off just as easy by doing the same thing.

My thoughts exactly.

Lord Mario

Lord Mario
  • Members
  • 691 posts
  • xfire:Maarjo
  • Interests:Q(''.Q)
I hope Blizzard wins. I really don't like bots , sure the leveling and grinding and stuff is a pain , but it's a part of the game. icon_rolleyes.gif

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
QUOTE (Sean @ Apr 3 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"I use a bot in an online game called World of Warcraft which means I'm an incredibly lazy fuck that can't work IRL for RL money which will pay my RL bills and feeds myself and my RL family"(if the said person was to have one)

Yeah, that's usually the logic of those who straight out bash botters. Personally botters are a lot smarter and probably work harder than those that don't bot. While I'm botting and only spending a fraction of the time others are actually playing I'm dealing with RL, I'm working, going out, etc., while those actually playing are in front of their computer wasting away.

QUOTE (Lord Mario @ Apr 3 2008, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope Blizzard wins. I really don't like bots , sure the leveling and grinding and stuff is a pain , but it's a part of the game. icon_rolleyes.gif

The one positive thing about botters is the amount of goods available to trade. Without people botting/farming there will be a lot less stuff for sale at the AH making prices a lot harder which in the end makes you grind a lot longer...whether you have to grind for the item or the gold to buy that item.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Sir Kyle Aziz
  • Members
  • 6,812 posts
  • xfire:kyleaziz0uchihaitachi
  • Xbox / GFWL:DDR Aziz
  • Rofl-Rupees:7
Oh, sorry for drawing a comparason to how lazy you are by botting. icon_rolleyes.gif It still doesn't change the fact that if you're doing something that takes time and effort YOU don't want to put in, that you're going to look for the easy way out. And how doesn't that relate to real life? Okay then. icon_rolleyes.gif

The only way that Botting helps the community is if it's a low population server. Otherwise as was said a very SMALL amount of the population is botters especially on a PVP server, and everyone grinds at one point which means that most of the items don't come from botters. So how do they help again? 'Cause everyone I know farms their own mats/patterns/drops rather then buying them from the AH.

Also if you think WoW is such a waste of time, why would you even play it? Do you know how retarded that sounds? "I play wow, but I think it's a complete waste of time and I could be spending my life doing better things." Why even bother paying for it if you'd rather bott then play? Riddle me that Batman.

And what do I gain from botting again? Oh right, I don't get to play the game I'm paying to play. Oh I see where that makes perfect sense!

Weiman

Weiman

Best HW&SW Cont. & PP Savant '09

• Global Moderators
  • 33,901 posts
  • xfire:weiman
  • Interests:Gaming, Biochemistry.
  • Steam ID:Weiman
  • Gamer Army ID:2452
  • Company:Mu
I think Blizzard should win because they (and Valve) are the living gods of PC gaming.

QUOTE (Weiman @ Apr 5 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is exactly what has been going on through the entire thread, and it's not the first time either.
You come to us for advice..you just spell out what you want to get, and then ask us if it is okay, and we have to explain why it isn't. That's the world upside down.. If you would just say 'hey guys, I have an X amount of money, what should I buy?' Then this would be over in 2-3 posts, not 2-3 pages.
QUOTE (Kazzerax @ May 21 2009, 09:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Every time someone goes against Weiman's sig I feel like they should be bludgeoned for a few minutes in the head to feel the headache I feel when I realize someone really IS that dense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users