Welcome to The OFFICIAL Pure Pwnage forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All Rpg's Vs WoW

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

DMitsuki

DMitsuki
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • xfire:dmitsuki
  • Xbox / GFWL:dmitsuki
  • Wii:justask
QUOTE (Jayl3w @ Mar 23 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What you're basically saying is, you've never played WoW and your opinion is
made from no factual basis, and that you're too dense to even bother trying to
find out if your opinion is fact, or just that.

I've been playing RPGs for a loooong time, longer then just about anyone my
age (which isn't THAT old, but since I've grown up with gamer uncles and the
like, RPGs have been around as long as I've played games in general) and I
can honestly say that WoW is a really great MMORPG. I played EQ/EQ2, FFXI,
D&D Online, LineageII, GW, LOTRO, Star Wars Galaxies, and countless other
free/beta MMORPGs, and they all have good points and down sides, but WoW
has a nice balance of the pluses they all share while cutting down on the fails
you have to put up with. It's fun, thats just the fact of it, theres a reason it's
become the biggest MMO on the planet.

NOW, thats not to say it's the best RPG experience out there. Best MMORPG
doesn't mean that some of the single-player RPGs aren't a lot more fun, but
it's only the staunch idiots who go on about how bad WoW is, a majority of
whom haven't even played it more then the trial, or they just want to be
"original" and dislike it because it's so popular. Some people don't like it,
it's not a game for them and I can understand that, but to say it just sucks
is a completely n00b thing to say.
um i have played it, and i didnt find grinding and things fun, then when you finally get to raid, that isnt much fun either, its more just people screaming and getting pissed when you wipe. this topic not only compared wow to other mmo rpgs, in wich is a genre i dislike all together BECAUSE i have played them, its also comparing them to normal single player rpgs or just multiplayer rpgs, if you want to go waste your time and money playing wow then go ahead and have fun but dont try to call other people noobs before you actualy get some skills in games bish >.>

DMitsuki

DMitsuki
  • Members
  • 18 posts
QUOTE (Total Lloyd @ Mar 23 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yer i am sure that there are some rpgs out there that are better than WoW
however i am just raising the issue that i know alot of people claim that WoW is crap when they are lvl 40ish, but i know alot of people that say that WoW only becomes the amazing game that it is when you reach the highest level and start raiding for higher items.
I personally do no play WoW, i am just raising the issue for discussion icon_biggrin.gif

so your telling me that all the time it takes to get to 70 doesnt count? and raiding and higher items blablalba but for what? it never ends, and the only real reason to do the things are to get more things for no clear reason, its not much fun to actualy do the raids blablabla. a person who quit wow at lvl 15 has just as much as a meaningfull opinion as a person who was 70 because they both played it and sense the game has no end you cant say oh well he didnt play through to properly judge it sucks ass getting to 70 so why waste time when there are so much other fun games to play and things to do?

Hades.

Hades.
  • GA Private
  • 4,189 posts
  • Interests:Holy fuck Ive been on these forums for a long time. They pretty much raised me tbh
  • Xbox / GFWL:Undisclosed
  • Wii:Don't want.
  • Gamer Army ID:4225
  • Company:Alpha
tbh, WoW is only fun when you are grouped up with some friends, or have a nice guild.

Where as with "RPG's" not "MMO's" are single player, and are always fun.

79577008.png

frostyfuzion101

frostyfuzion101
  • Members
  • 342 posts
  • xfire:frostassasin
QUOTE (DMitsuki @ Mar 30 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so your telling me that all the time it takes to get to 70 doesnt count? and raiding and higher items blablalba but for what? it never ends, and the only real reason to do the things are to get more things for no clear reason, its not much fun to actualy do the raids blablabla. a person who quit wow at lvl 15 has just as much as a meaningfull opinion as a person who was 70 because they both played it and sense the game has no end you cant say oh well he didnt play through to properly judge it sucks ass getting to 70 so why waste time when there are so much other fun games to play and things to do?

Raiding is pretty fun to me... And I don't even really get any lewts.. (rolling system ftl) Trash mobs suck ass, but boss fights and killing new bosses are fucking epic as hell. You're supposed to be playing for fun, not for gear. If you keep thinking of everything as "WHEN DOES IT END?!?!?!" You're going to be one depressed mofo.
People that didn't even play past lvl 15 don't have a valid opinion. Thats like me turning on Half Life 2, watching the intro movie, and then going "THIS GAME IS THE WORST GAEM EVAR"

Myth

Myth
  • Members
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:1234567890qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm
why the fuck is this thread still in RPG section, it should be in other mmos section...

WoW is nowhere near as addictive as people say it is. oh and to all those misinformed 'professionals', its not the game that is addictive, its the community that makes us come back to WoW. get ur fucking facts straight faggots before you call urselves 'professionals'. i can play alone for as long as i want but it'll be boring as hell. its the guilds and player interaction that makes it fun

anywho on topic:

RPGs > MMORPGs. WoW imho is the best MMO out there (GW doesnt count as a MMO, and yes, ive played it. ive several lvl 20 characters... mersmer being my fav class. ive stopped playing it for a while though)

cadetduke

cadetduke
  • GA Private
  • 5,898 posts
  • xfire:cadetduke
  • Steam ID:cadetduke
  • Xbox / GFWL:cadetduke
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Rofl-Rupees:2
  • Gamer Army ID:2069
  • Company:Foxtrot
QUOTE (Myth @ Mar 31 2008, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why the fuck is this thread still in RPG section, it should be in other mmos section...

Why should it be in the other mmos section? This thread is about RPGs (this section) vs WoW (which has it's own section).

I thought WoW was fun the first time through all the way from 1-60, then from 60-70. For alts it was extremely boring and bot worthy all the way from 1-70. RPGs are fun all around. I'd go with almost all RPGs > WoW on any day.
Midwest Gaming - Work in progress.

noob12325

noob12325
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Gaming!!!
QUOTE (DMitsuki @ Mar 23 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you think wow is a good rpg, you havent played rpgs long enough, lets see rpg's better then wow are chorno triger, shining force, shining force 2, every fire emblem game ever, tales of phantasia and shymphonia, golden sun 1 and 2, final fantasy 8, final fantasy 12, final fantasy 2, almost every ff game for that matter, and the dragon quest games, lunar knights, castlevania dawn of sorrow/aria of sorrow, pokemon (rofl), super mario rpg, paper mario 1 and 2,disgaea 1 and 2, makai kingdom, oblivion even tho im not into them that much still better then wow, secrect of mana, earth bound, shinigami tensai series, terrinigima, phantasy star, i could name so many so ill stop there. and mmo's that are better then wow are anything f2p cuz i dont have to give money to waste my time

All I have to say is too true.
Auron: Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

serial_

serial_
  • Members
  • 677 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Computers, teh Interweb...<br /><br />...and...<br /><br />...The_Duchess.
Okie dokie, i just skipped most of this topic, so if i'm off the current tangent i'm sorry. (but to Dmitsuki: you forgot to list the original Dragon Warrior)

Reasons why WoW succeeds as an RPG:

- Really involved backstory that is very interesting (esp. if you're horde and have read Rise of the Horde / Lord of the Clans).
- Very different and exciting classes, each with their own abilities and very very different "feels"
- WoW has a great story (if you read the quest text instead of just looking at the objectives). I spent a good 20 minutes tracking down Baron Vardus in Arathi today on my rogue, sneaking into the camp, and assassinating him. It's especially involving if you get into your race/class. imo Orcs/Undead have the best.
- The MMO aspect of the game contributes to the storyline IMMENSELY (if you play a PvP server). The setting is a tenuous pact that is falling apart and although there is not all-out war, the two factions fight constantly. On a PvP server given the inability to even communicate with the opposite faction, this fuels the storyline and really drives home that "Horde for life" or "Alliance or bust" feeling in the players. I find PvE servers miss out on the best part of the game. Due to this i refuse to ever under any circumstance roll alliance.

Reasons WoW is epic fail as an RPG:

- The fact it's an MMO and you have to deal with the retard nublets.
- As a side-effect of being an MMO the grind between levels is exaggerated immensely. I can conquer FFVII (arguably one of the best RPGs ever) or Zelda: OoT (same thing here, and my personal favorite) in a couple days. The fact that most MMOs (with the exception of Guild Wars) force you into a grindfest really drags the storyline out, and deters from the alure of the game. Despite WoW's amazing storyline, the fact it takes you months to grind through the game to get the next bit of it (for most players) really wanks the flow. Even when TBC came out and i speed-leveled a shaman in under a week, I found myself wanting to get to X level to get my next class quest.
- WoW doesn't end. The main selling point of a good RPG is the entire story. Beginning, middle, and resolution. WoW never gives you the end of the story, therefore it never lets you see the end of the story arc of your character. It's like reading harry potter book 7 except you never get past the camping in the woods. Great story but you get stuck in a doldrum.

So, while WoW fulfills many of the requirements of a good RPG, the fact that it is a classic MMO causes fundamental differences that inhibit it as a member of the classic RPG genre, and from competing with other RPGs. While it is an amazing and MASSIVE game, it falls on its face (fase? lol) as an RPG. While I love WoW and have geeked out over it, going so far as reading the books and toying with modding out a horde-themed PC case, I have to admit that at the end of the day it's just another MMO. It may have an amazing backstory and in-game storyline. But so did UO and EQ.

MMOs are their own monster, and nothing else compares. Trying to compare FPS/RTS/RPGs to MMOs is like comparing a Miata to a Hummer.
Blog of Epic Amazing Randomness: http://www.epic-blog.com

I defeat, in a humilating manner, those who are inexperienced at the games that I play.

m30wc0w

m30wc0w
  • Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • xfire:m30wc0w
  • Interests:FERRET
I feel that Diablo 2 was the best RPG ever made; it had a great story, a great feel, good controls, and very different classes.
It would've been much better if it was better moderated though... stupid dupers >.<
But WoW is really good too. It has a lot of the things that Diablo had but somethings were not as good. I didn't really like the control scheme and I never got into the story or the game that much. The people who play it made the game for me. Oh, and WoW has way better PvP

Th0zA

Th0zA
  • Members
  • 296 posts
  • xfire:th0za
  • Xbox / GFWL:Th0zA
QUOTE (serial_ @ Apr 1 2008, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okie dokie, i just skipped most of this topic, so if i'm off the current tangent i'm sorry. (but to Dmitsuki: you forgot to list the original Dragon Warrior)

- Really involved backstory that is very interesting (esp. if you're horde and have read Rise of the Horde / Lord of the Clans).
- Very different and exciting classes, each with their own abilities and very very different "feels"
- WoW has a great story (if you read the quest text instead of just looking at the objectives). I spent a good 20 minutes tracking down Baron Vardus in Arathi today on my rogue, sneaking into the camp, and assassinating him. It's especially involving if you get into your race/class. imo Orcs/Undead have the best.
- The MMO aspect of the game contributes to the storyline IMMENSELY (if you play a PvP server). The setting is a tenuous pact that is falling apart and although there is not all-out war, the two factions fight constantly. On a PvP server given the inability to even communicate with the opposite faction, this fuels the storyline and really drives home that "Horde for life" or "Alliance or bust" feeling in the players. I find PvE servers miss out on the best part of the game. Due to this i refuse to ever under any circumstance roll alliance.

- As a side-effect of being an MMO the grind between levels is exaggerated immensely. I can conquer FFVII (arguably one of the best RPGs ever) or Zelda: OoT (same thing here, and my personal favorite) in a couple days. The fact that most MMOs (with the exception of Guild Wars) forces you into a grindfest really drags the storyline out, and deters from the alure of the game. Despite WoW's amazing storyline, the fact it takes you months to grind through the game to get the next bit of it (for most players). Even when TBC came out and i speed-leveled a shaman in under a week, I found myself wanting to get to X level to get my next class quest.
- WoW doesn't end. The main selling point of a good RPG is the entire story. Beginning, middle, and resolution. WoW never gives you the end of the story, therefore it never let's you see the end of the story arc of your character. It's like reading harry potter book 7 except you never get past the camping in the woods. Great story but you get stuck in a doldrum.

So, while WoW fulfills many of the requirements of a good RPG, the fact that it is a classic MMO causes fundamental differences that inhibit it as a member of the classic RPG genre, and from competing with other RPGs. While it is an amazing and MASSIVE game, it falls on it's face (fase? lol) as an RPG. While I love WoW and have geeked out over it, going so far as reading the books and toying with modding out a horde-themed PC case, I have to admit that at the end of the day it's just another MMO. It may have an amazing backstory and in-game storyline. But so did UO and EQ.

MMOs are their own monster, and nothing else compares. Trying to compare FPS/RTS/RPGs to MMOs is like comparing a Miata to a Hummer.

This person gets points for actually making the first intelligent post in the entire thread. He actually sees both sides, and kept in mind the original context of the threat.

Read this post, then move on.
To win rts, be prepared to lose...a lot.

DMitsuki

DMitsuki
  • Members
  • 18 posts
QUOTE (serial_ @ Apr 1 2008, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- As a side-effect of being an MMO the grind between levels is exaggerated immensely. I can conquer FFVII (arguably one of the best RPGs ever) or Zelda: OoT (same thing here, and my personal favorite) in a couple days. The fact that most MMOs (with the exception of Guild Wars) force you into a grindfest really drags the storyline out, and deters from the alure of the game. Despite WoW's amazing storyline, the fact it takes you months to grind through the game to get the next bit of it (for most players) really wanks the flow. Even when TBC came out and i speed-leveled a shaman in under a week, I found myself wanting to get to X level to get my next class quest.
- WoW doesn't end. The main selling point of a good RPG is the entire story. Beginning, middle, and resolution. WoW never gives you the end of the story, therefore it never lets you see the end of the story arc of your character. It's like reading harry potter book 7 except you never get past the camping in the woods. Great story but you get stuck in a doldrum.

So, while WoW fulfills many of the requirements of a good RPG, the fact that it is a classic MMO causes fundamental differences that inhibit it as a member of the classic RPG genre, and from competing with other RPGs. While it is an amazing and MASSIVE game, it falls on its face (fase? lol) as an RPG. While I love WoW and have geeked out over it, going so far as reading the books and toying with modding out a horde-themed PC case, I have to admit that at the end of the day it's just another MMO. It may have an amazing backstory and in-game storyline. But so did UO and EQ.

i didnt put alot of stuff in there, cuz if i did i would still be writing the list icon_surprised.gif when i played wow it was a fun idea and concept, and the fact that we as people develop the story is good and all, but like you said i dont think of it as good because sense im my character in some big world, im not important, the only way for the game to really end is for me to die in rl or quit, in wich my story ends, and i doubt it will happen in a interesting way, and also the grinding, when im playing somthing like chrono trigger im having fun all the way through to the end, not just after i spend 100+ hours getting to a point in wich i can only have a true opinion ina game, have fun gaming icon_biggrin.gif

3xp0sed

3xp0sed
  • Members
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:ur mum
Imo WoW

in the next Expansion they should have an intro basically Summarising the entire Warcraft storyline because more then half the people i knew playing had never played Warcraft, Warcraft II, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne.

Because the Story is very good.

"Boomshakalakalaka"

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
  • xfire:drippotaku
  • Steam ID:projecktcain
  • Xbox / GFWL:JReele
  • Gamer Army ID:3410
QUOTE (DMitsuki @ Mar 30 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you want to go waste your time and money playing wow then go ahead and have fun but dont try to call other people noobs before you actualy get some skills in games bish >.>

A. It obviously isn't a waste of time or money if people enjoy the investment.
Not as much a waste as the time it took to read your post at least.

B. RPG/MMORPGs are NOT my main genre, that'd be FPS and TBS, so it'd be
great if you'd stfu before you make a bigger n00b out of yourself. WoW is for
when I feel like relaxing from a hard day of 360 pwnage by smacking around
mobs and randoms, that easy.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (b0niK @ Apr 4 2008, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems you guys are forgetting that MMORPG is a SUB GENRE of RPG.
Like punk is a sub genre of rock.

To all the ignorants out there, notice the sub genre. Also, realize that RPG games had online lobbies aswell before the marketing ploy of "MMO" Which is EXACTLY THE SAME FORMULA SINCE 1999, ESPECIALLY WOW! WoW has capped servers, no interchangeable servers, and somehow less fun than diablo 1. Might as well host WoW on gamespy, that way you're not stuck on 1 server forever.
Diablo 1 was massive, multiplayer, and online. Fun, and a RPG. This is where WoW failed. You get better gameplay on secondlife, thats how shitty WoW is!

And yet, there are plenty of people who love rock, but hate punk and vice-versa.
Obviously your rationalle in a game being bad because it sits into a sub-genre is
a little flawed, you may want to think on that a little harder.

Second, since when does WoW not allow you to change servers? I've switched
my toon to other servers before, it exists, srsly.

Thiiiird, Diablo and WoW have MASSIVELY different game styles, the only thing
they have in common is the role-playing aspect, making a comparison of the two
as idiotic as comparing a single-player only game to multiplayer games, which
we're doing anyways so I suppose I could see trying to make that comparison,
bad as it is.

Fourth, don't bring up Second Life again, srsly, that sugarglider-able.

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

Total Lloyd

Total Lloyd
  • Members
  • 39 posts
  • Xbox / GFWL:Total Lloyd
QUOTE (DMitsuki @ Mar 31 2008, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a person who quit wow at lvl 15 has just as much as a meaningfull opinion as a person who was 70 because they both played it and sense the game has no end you cant say oh well he didnt play through to properly judge it sucks ass getting to 70 so why waste time when there are so much other fun games to play and things to do?

yes, they may have a meaningful view on how good they think the game is.
however you are missing the whole point of this thread. i was trying to get across that people who have only played to level 20ish ( not long enough ) will obviously not have an overall view of the game, and only when you play it long enoguh can you really appreciate how good the game is, and thats it why i am saying that you ahve to play it longer to agree it is better that all other rpg's icon_biggrin.gif hope thats cleared things up.... maybe icon_biggrin.gif

TheNOOBIFIER

TheNOOBIFIER

SQUAD ONE - Squad Lead

• GA Private
  • 573 posts
  • Interests:www.mp5t.com
  • Steam ID:TheNoobifier
  • Gamer Army ID:3677
I have lost too many friends to WoW...

www.mp5t.com
SIGNATURE-1.jpg
TheNOOBIFIER1337.png

Fenix

Fenix
  • GA Private
  • 1,080 posts
  • xfire:Fenix1
  • Steam ID:FenixSX or Saionce
  • PSN:FenixSX
  • Wii:Stolen
  • Gamer Army ID:187
How the hell can you compare WoW vs ALL RPG's?

No seriously, it just doesn't work. RPGs and MMORPGs are so much different from each other. Like, wtf man?

Go play some more RPGs.

As an old WoW player and I'm not ripping on it, it's to damn simple. RPGs can be complex and drag your ass right into the story just as hard as WoW can.

killer_rabbit79

killer_rabbit79
  • GA Private
  • 1,570 posts
  • xfire:killerrabbit79
  • Interests:gaming, technology, neuroscience, philosophy
  • Xbox / GFWL:killer rabbit79
  • PSN:A1R5N1P3R
  • Wii:0167122459070060
  • Gamer Army ID:1640
I have more fun interacting with the characters in Mass Effect than I ever would in WoW. You can't have sex with anybody in WoW either.

DMitsuki

DMitsuki
  • Members
  • 18 posts
QUOTE (Total Lloyd @ Apr 8 2008, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes, they may have a meaningful view on how good they think the game is.
however you are missing the whole point of this thread. i was trying to get across that people who have only played to level 20ish ( not long enough ) will obviously not have an overall view of the game, and only when you play it long enoguh can you really appreciate how good the game is, and thats it why i am saying that you ahve to play it longer to agree it is better that all other rpg's icon_biggrin.gif hope thats cleared things up.... maybe icon_biggrin.gif

you cant really say that, i played tales of symphonia and loved it the whole way through, why should i have to play wow longer to think its better, if im not having fun the whole time, wich i did on my 3+ play throughs of symphonia, can it really be that great? even if it picks up momentum, its not going to be as great as games like this because i am having fun the whole time, compared to having fun only after i grinded my fingers off, i really think you should play some more rpgs, i recomend you get a emulator and dl golden sun

Jaylew

Jaylew
  • GA Private
  • 2,513 posts
QUOTE (DMitsuki @ Apr 13 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you cant really say that, i played tales of symphonia and loved it the whole way through, why should i have to play wow longer to think its better, if im not having fun the whole time, wich i did on my 3+ play throughs of symphonia, can it really be that great? even if it picks up momentum, its not going to be as great as games like this because i am having fun the whole time, compared to having fun only after i grinded my fingers off, i really think you should play some more rpgs, i recomend you get a emulator and dl golden sun

If you don't like the process of lvling, then you shouldn't be playing
a fraggin' MMORPG anyways, so get back to your Gamecube and
don't comment on it. Thats akin to a civilian saying being a soldier
is easy; you aren't cut out for it and aren't doing it, so who the
hell are you to open you mouth?

10216_998594.gif
Every Tuesday & Saturday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users